Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,147 members, 7,849,574 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 02:26 AM

If Efforts Are Not Made, The Yoruba Language May Die In 20 Years' Time - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / If Efforts Are Not Made, The Yoruba Language May Die In 20 Years' Time (820 Views)

Yoruba Dad Teaching His Biracial Kids Yoruba Language (Video) / Oba Of Benin's Curse: Italy-Based Human Trafficker Dies, 2 Robbers Die In Sleep / Two Female Students Recount Efforts To Avoid Circumcision In Ebonyi (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Efforts Are Not Made, The Yoruba Language May Die In 20 Years' Time by tellymoore: 11:45am On Jan 10, 2017
The Author of the "Ede Yoruba ko Gbodo Ku" (Yoruba Language Must not Die), Dahunsi Akinyemi, spoke on the threats facing the language.

Dahunsi Akinyemi has for many years been a language teacher. He did this formally while working with some schools in Lagos, and informally even when he stopped teaching. As a result, he is familiar with many books on the English Language, including the Lady Bird series and others that help in shaping up the sense of reasoning of young ones.

But something often baffles him. This is the non-availability of Yoruba texts written and produced like the Lady Birds in a way that can inspire Yoruba children to fall in love with the language. This reality, and the apathy that many members of the Yoruba elite have for the language, remains a source of head ache to him. Based on the experience of the Oyo State-born culture promoter, Eruwa, who is also a graduate of English from the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, the threat of extinction facing Yoruba is real.
TO READ MORE, CLICK THE LINK BELOW

http://www.tellymoore.com/2017/01/if-efforts-are-not-made-yoruba-language.html?m=1

1 Share

Re: If Efforts Are Not Made, The Yoruba Language May Die In 20 Years' Time by firstclassmumu: 12:01pm On Jan 10, 2017
True talk
Re: If Efforts Are Not Made, The Yoruba Language May Die In 20 Years' Time by chijiblaze(m): 10:20pm On Jan 10, 2017
Which language(s) risk(s) dying first, I.e. In what order?
Yoruba, Igbo, Ibibio, Bini, Ijaw, Urhobo, Igala, Tiv, Hausa?
Re: If Efforts Are Not Made, The Yoruba Language May Die In 20 Years' Time by Probz(m): 6:50pm On Jan 11, 2017
chijiblaze:
Which language(s) risk(s) dying first, I.e. In what order?
Yoruba, Igbo, Ibibio, Bini, Ijaw, Urhobo, Igala, Tiv, Hausa?

Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa.

I no sabi for all these minority languages but I hear Urhobo is on its last legs, and Edo's heading in the same direction.

I think Ibibios and other coastal south-easterners do better for speaking their native tongue than upland Niger Deltans.

(1) (Reply)

How Sultan Of Sokoto Suddenly Found His Voice / Didn't The Odu Ifa Give Any Clue About Ife N Benin ??? / OMG …!! See The 17 People You Won’t Believe God Created Or Exist (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.