Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Signs You Have Been Bitten By A Dog Infected With Rabies - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Signs You Have Been Bitten By A Dog Infected With Rabies (1556 Views)

Have You Been Chased By A Dog Before? Share Your Experience. / Abia State Residents Hold March Against Rabies (Photos) / Yesterday Was World Rabies Day; All You Need To Know About Rabies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Signs You Have Been Bitten By A Dog Infected With Rabies by Prodeegee(m): 11:56pm On Jan 10, 2017
What Is Rabies?
[/b]Rabies is a serious and often fatal viral infection that affects the dog's brain and its central nervous system (CNS). Rabies can have several phases which include the prodromal, furious, and paralytic; rabies can be prevented by vaccinations.
Knowing the warning signs of rabies in dogs can help prevent infection to other animals and people.

[b]How Does A Dog Get Infected With Rabies?

Rabies is transmitted to a Dog through a bite or scratch from another Rabid Dog or animal carrying rabies.(Bats, Raccoons, Foxes etc). Infection occurs when the infected saliva of a host is passed to an uninfected animal.

Are Dogs Born With Rabies?
No! Dogs can not be born with Rabies. An Infected Rabid Dog dies in 10 days. So, if a mother dog had rabies when she was pregnant the pregnancy would not likely survive.

How Do I Know If My Dog Has Rabies?

Rabies occur in two stages. The Paralytic and Furious Stages. For the first few days, the dog will only show a few symptoms of abnormalities. Most dogs will then proceed to the furious stage, the paralytic or Both.

Furious rabies is noticeable by extreme behavioral changes, including extreme aggression. Paralytic rabies, also referred to as dumb rabies, is characterized by weakness and loss of coordination, followed by paralysis.

How do you get rabies from a dog?
Rabies is transmitted through through the saliva of an infected dog. So even if an infected dog's saliva touches your open wound, you can be infected.

How Do You Know A Person Has Been Infected?
The period between the day of Infection and when the first symptoms is noticed is called the Incubation Period.

According to Wikipedia,

Incubation period is typically 1–3 months in humans. Incubation periods as short as four days and longer than six years have been documented, depending on the location and severity of the contaminated wound and the amount of virus introduced. Initial signs and symptoms of rabies are often nonspecific such as fever and headache. As rabies progresses and causes inflammation of the brain and/or meninges, signs and symptoms can include slight or partial paralysis, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behavior, paranoia, terror, and hallucinations, progressing to delirium, and coma. The person may also have hydrophobia.
One of the most distinctive signs of a rabies infection is a tingling, itching or twitching feeling around the area of the bite. It is often accompanied by a fever, headache, muscle aches, loss of appetite, nausea, and fatigue.

What To Do If These Signs Are Noticed?
Consult a Doctor Immediately. In-fact if you are bitten by a Dog that doesn't belong to you, You should see a doctor. Rabies is Fatal.

Spread The Information!

http://dogsnigeriaforum..nl/2017/01/signs-you-have-been-bitten-by-dog.html
Re: Signs You Have Been Bitten By A Dog Infected With Rabies by jendoakino(m): 7:05am On Jan 11, 2017
nice 1 @ pro
Re: Signs You Have Been Bitten By A Dog Infected With Rabies by Spy360(m): 4:49pm On Jan 11, 2017
Prodeegee:
What Is Rabies?
[/b]Rabies is a serious and often fatal viral infection that affects the dog's brain and its central nervous system (CNS). Rabies can have several phases which include the prodromal, furious, and paralytic; rabies can be prevented by vaccinations.
Knowing the warning signs of rabies in dogs can help prevent infection to other animals and people.

[b]How Does A Dog Get Infected With Rabies?

Rabies is transmitted to a Dog through a bite or scratch from another Rabid Dog or animal carrying rabies.(Bats, Raccoons, Foxes etc). Infection occurs when the infected saliva of a host is passed to an uninfected animal.

Are Dogs Born With Rabies?
No! Dogs can not be born with Rabies. An Infected Rabid Dog dies in 10 days. So, if a mother dog had rabies when she was pregnant the pregnancy would not likely survive.

How Do I Know If My Dog Has Rabies?

Rabies occur in two stages. The Paralytic and Furious Stages. For the first few days, the dog will only show a few symptoms of abnormalities. Most dogs will then proceed to the furious stage, the paralytic or Both.

Furious rabies is noticeable by extreme behavioral changes, including extreme aggression. Paralytic rabies, also referred to as dumb rabies, is characterized by weakness and loss of coordination, followed by paralysis.

How do you get rabies from a dog?
Rabies is transmitted through through the saliva of an infected dog. So even if an infected dog's saliva touches your open wound, you can be infected.

How Do You Know A Person Has Been Infected?
The period between the day of Infection and when the first symptoms is noticed is called the Incubation Period.

According to Wikipedia,

Incubation period is typically 1–3 months in humans. Incubation periods as short as four days and longer than six years have been documented, depending on the location and severity of the contaminated wound and the amount of virus introduced. Initial signs and symptoms of rabies are often nonspecific such as fever and headache. As rabies progresses and causes inflammation of the brain and/or meninges, signs and symptoms can include slight or partial paralysis, anxiety, insomnia, confusion, agitation, abnormal behavior, paranoia, terror, and hallucinations, progressing to delirium, and coma. The person may also have hydrophobia.
One of the most distinctive signs of a rabies infection is a tingling, itching or twitching feeling around the area of the bite. It is often accompanied by a fever, headache, muscle aches, loss of appetite, nausea, and fatigue.

What To Do If These Signs Are Noticed?
Consult a Doctor Immediately. In-fact if you are bitten by a Dog that doesn't belong to you, You should see a doctor. Rabies is Fatal.

Spread The Information!

http://dogsnigeriaforum..nl/2017/01/signs-you-have-been-bitten-by-dog.html
Hello.

How safe are dogs?

I intend to introduce 2 dogs to my home as a form on security.

I also have little kids around. I read some things about dogs attacking little children. I'll like to know how dangerous dogs can be from someone with experience.

Thanks.
Re: Signs You Have Been Bitten By A Dog Infected With Rabies by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jan 11, 2017
Is rabies curable after been transmitted to human?
Re: Signs You Have Been Bitten By A Dog Infected With Rabies by Coldplay007(f): 4:53am On Jan 12, 2017
wapadunk:
Is rabies curable after been transmitted to human?

Not curable.. except you take the vaccine immediately.. if you delay, it's sure death.. if your symptoms start before you collect the vaccine .. na sure death.
Only 2 people have been know in history to have survived the disease after symptoms start..

2 Likes

Re: Signs You Have Been Bitten By A Dog Infected With Rabies by Prodeegee(m): 8:25am On Jan 12, 2017
Spy360:

Hello.

How safe are dogs?

I intend to introduce 2 dogs to my home as a form on security.

I also have little kids around. I read some things about dogs attacking little children. I'll like to know how dangerous dogs can be from someone with experience.

Thanks.

Read about whatever breed you intend getting first. Some breeds are good with kids and some arent. Then How old are your kids? If theyre of age, they should be allowed to walk and feed the dogs so they can get along better.
Re: Signs You Have Been Bitten By A Dog Infected With Rabies by Spy360(m): 5:50pm On Jan 12, 2017
Prodeegee:

Read about whatever breed you intend getting first. Some breeds are good with kids and some arent. Then How old are your kids? If theyre of age, they should be allowed to walk and feed the dogs so they can get along better.
Thanks.

I intend getting GSDs. Kids are 2years old and a todler.

(1) (Reply)

German Shepherd Puppies Available At Anambra Ekwulobia Axis / My Great Dane And Doberman Cross Result. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.