Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,071 members, 7,818,200 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. (16892 Views)

All Beneficiaries Should Ensure To Stamp Their Deployment Latter And Upload It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 9:41am On Jan 11, 2017
This is to help some of us who have been wondering how this is done and to all those who believe HR do not check CVs because of the volume. The assumption is that someone already has the job before the vacancy was posted.

For me, here is what I do:
Note: This does not represent all HR personnel mode of operation neither does it represent my organizations own.

1. When I post a vacancy to received CVs, from experience, most would be rejected because I use a screening technique that automatically sends emails that do not follow the stated instructions to spam. So those who did not follow the instructions were automatically taken to spam.

2. Those with luck who for some reasons found their way in as a result of some bug would be manually deleted by me.
Reason is that I have enough CV already and I cant start looking at someone who did not even follow instructions in the first place.
If you cannot follow instructions then you could be a bad fit.

3. The next step for me is to go from the beginning to see those who applied first (Its my own technique) then I start from there. I feel this is the only way for me to do justice. First come first served.

Thats why in the three major mistakes job seekers make, I mentioned that applicants should always apply fast: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/12/3-major-mistakes-job-seekers-make.html

4. I look at the contents, the structure before I even open the attachment. Your presentation matters to me.

My point is yes, we cannot look through all CVs but each HR person has a technique to ensure that fairness is implemented. How do you do it?

Related articles on www.HRtechnique.com

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by maxwell767(m): 10:26am On Jan 11, 2017
Good one... Instructions matters alot

Hope someone finds this thread interesting

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Sweetestrose(f): 11:00am On Jan 11, 2017
At the end of the day, when it's your time, No man can stop you as delay is never denial. How can you say that an application has chances to be considered as "late" when the proposed stated deadline had not elapsed. When on some occasions the deadline of some job application is even the day it was posted.
And from your statement, you have also confirmed that you do not go through all CVS as you tend to pick only the ones that are captivating "to you" hence equal opportunity is not given to all applicants.
Continue, God is watching you guys in 3d.
You forget that tables may turn one day as this world we live in is a circle.

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 1:27pm On Jan 11, 2017
Sweetestrose:
Mtchewww, most hr just have a way to justify some of their deeds. At the end of the day, it still boils down to "man know man". How can you say that an application has chances to be considered as "late" when the proposed stated deadline had not elapsed. When on some occasions the deadline of some job application is even the day it was posted.
And from your statement, you have also confirmed that you do not go through all CVS as you tend to pick only the ones that are captivating "to you" hence equal opportunity is not given to all applicants.

I am open to criticisms and recommendations. Appreciate your comment.

What would you have done to a million CVs?. Just asking in all humility.

13 Likes

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 7:13am On Jan 12, 2017
We probably have few HR folks here...
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by wunmi590(m): 7:23am On Jan 12, 2017
Nice write up
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by KayodeAjani: 7:23am On Jan 12, 2017
Ha
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by hyfr(m): 7:24am On Jan 12, 2017
There's a saying that goes like this "don't judge a book by its cover" your procedures to me is flawed and biased in a way

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by TANKDESTROYER(m): 7:25am On Jan 12, 2017
okay
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by jejemanito: 7:25am On Jan 12, 2017
Page bookmarked cool
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Nobody: 7:25am On Jan 12, 2017
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by worlexy(m): 7:26am On Jan 12, 2017
Ok
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Jobsdome: 7:26am On Jan 12, 2017
hmm
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Aroh48(m): 7:26am On Jan 12, 2017
kk
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by truthspeaks: 7:27am On Jan 12, 2017
Ok. Moving on
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by agarawu23(m): 7:27am On Jan 12, 2017
Story
We know the Nigeria way of employing ppl
No give us sobo cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by torres89: 7:27am On Jan 12, 2017
this is just one HR out of a million in Nigeria....

where is that picture of those who give a fvck
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Nobody: 7:28am On Jan 12, 2017
I'll be back
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by mikeljack(m): 7:28am On Jan 12, 2017
is HRM a good course and how much do they earn as salary because thats what I applied for in ZENITH UNIVERSITY COLLEGE ghana
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Nobody: 7:30am On Jan 12, 2017
True, but to be honest... Experience and value of the company one worked in also plays a role, if say you were looking for a customer care supervisor and you came across two resumes one has been a customer care manager in adegoke and sons for 8 years and one has been team lead customer service in PWC (Price Waterhouse coopers) for 3 years you would pick the PWC candidate easily .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Benjom(m): 7:31am On Jan 12, 2017
OP is so on point. The competition is so stiff out there and anyone with a care-free attitude may not scale through. Those are simple techniques you can adhere to so as to be outstanding among the pack.

I've been in the system too and I know how rigorous it can be in making selections. As an HR Personnel, the only way out is to adopt strict measures starting from the email address, subject of the mail, body of the mail (Cover Letter),... down to the CV content. Infact, just as the OP opined on point 4, one does not need to download some attachments before you trash them, they are simply not catchy enough and written haphazardly. A wise prospective applicant will learn from this and not take offence.

See a catchy and well written CV here: www..com/cv-samples/

Or read my comprehensive article on how to write an effective CV here: http://.com/complete-step-step-guide-writing-successful-cv/ (Warning: This is not for a lazy reader)

1 Like

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by emymeeky: 7:31am On Jan 12, 2017
grin
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Nobody: 7:36am On Jan 12, 2017
Its not easy. You guys are trying. Some graduates make it easy sometimes tho. They disqualify themselves before interview..

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Howmon: 7:38am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:

I am open to criticisms and recommendations. Appreciate your comment.

What would you have done to a million CVs?. Just asking in all humility.

It's no longer thousands.
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by nmreports: 7:40am On Jan 12, 2017
Howmon:

It's no longer thousands.

SMH... Thousands could be tens of thousands. Don't sound ignorant. Thousands could mean more than a million.
Answer the question if you have one sir/ ma

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by bobbybrown007: 7:46am On Jan 12, 2017
Well sha that is for her own side, when I was doing my training at LBS, that is lagos business school I worked with the HR ehn I was in charge of some things like collecting of applications and doing so Requisition. When it comes to the applications ehn it is sub-divided into TWO types of files first is the Uni letters and the others are for polly files depending on what you want to apply for, but when it comes to reading of the letters they tend to call people who are. Qualified on peppers to come and be interviewed but if you are well qualified for the post you will be employed to work but if you are not the lord is your strength. At times they might not be fairness ooooo, some of them might be forgotten it takes by the grace of God for them to remember ur CV and applications hope I am making common sense here

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by bobbybrown007: 7:51am On Jan 12, 2017
Uchihaitaci:
True, but to be honest... Experience a d the value of the company one worked in also plays a role, if say you were looking for a customer care supervisor and you came across two resumes one has been a customer care manager in adegoke and sons for 8 years and one has been team lead customer service in PWC (Price Waterhouse coopers) for 3 years you would pick the PWC candidate easily .

yeah have seen a case like that but they were like this guy doesn't have a degree like the other guy the reason was because the guy where all called to do some graphic design with system but the guy who had second sch certificate was far better that the other one with qualification, they were kind of confused on what to do and who to choose
Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by Afam4eva(m): 7:52am On Jan 12, 2017
Sweetestrose:
Mtchewww, most hr just have a way to justify some of their deeds. At the end of the day, it still boils down to "man know man". How can you say that an application has chances to be considered as "late" when the proposed stated deadline had not elapsed. When on some occasions the deadline of some job application is even the day it was posted.
Anybody who applies for a job abd does not follow the very simple rules don't deserve to have that Job. That's a very ideal way of reducing the number of applicants.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by femi4: 7:53am On Jan 12, 2017
nmreports:
This is to help some of us who have been wondering how this is done and to all those who believe HR do not check CVs because of the volume. The assumption is that someone already has the job before the vacancy was posted.

For me, here is what I do:
Note: This does not represent all HR personnel mode of operation neither does it represent my organizations own.

1. When I post a vacancy to received CVs, from experience, most would be rejected because I use a screening technique that automatically sends emails that do not follow the stated instructions to spam. So those who did not follow the instructions were automatically taken to spam.

2. Those with luck who for some reasons found their way in as a result of some bug would be manually deleted by me.
Reason is that I have enough CV already and I cant start looking at someone who did not even follow instructions in the first place.
If you cannot follow instructions then you could be a bad fit.

3. The next step for me is to go from the beginning to see those who applied first (Its my own technique) then I start from there. I feel this is the only way for me to do justice. First come first served.

Thats why in the three major mistakes job seekers make, I mentioned that applicants should always apply fast: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/12/3-major-mistakes-job-seekers-make.html

4. I look at the contents, the structure before I even open the attachment. Your presentation matters to me.

My point is yes, we cannot look through all CVs but each HR person has a technique to ensure that fairness is implemented. How do you do it?

Related articles on www.HRtechnique.com
Nonsense criteria, yet the CVs of some of the sons and daughters of your Staff didn't even pass through your table. You don't even know how they got employed in your Organization

1 Like

Re: Nairaland HR, How Do You Ensure Fairness When You Receive Thousands Of Cvs?. by bobbybrown007: 7:55am On Jan 12, 2017
Sweetestrose:
here that is right but when they say ur CV must be submitted in so so time make sure you send it as earlier before the dead line. At times they check with time

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Free NNPC Aptitude Test Materials / Which Of These Online Skills Would You Recommend For Me To Learn / Julius Berger Nigeria Plc Mid-level & Exp. Job Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.