Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,109 members, 7,814,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? (13851 Views)

THREAD For We Grassroot Footballer That Want Excel In Our Football Career / Messi Vs Maradona Vs Pele. Who Is The Greatest Footballer Of All Time? / Who Is Nigeria's Greatest Footballer Of The Last 20 Years? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by babwilms(m): 2:01am On Jan 13, 2007
Who is the greatest footballer that has ever come out of Africa and reasons for your answer?

Africa have produce the likes of JJ Okocha, Eto, George Weah, Kanu, Abedi Pele, Anthony Yeboah, Rashid Yekini, Emmanuelle Aminike, Daniel Amokachi, Patric Mboma, Didier Drogba, Roger Milla, Victor Ikpeba. and the rest of the norht African players.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by mukina2: 1:15pm On Jan 13, 2007
@topic

mohamed Kallon
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by 4Play(m): 1:16pm On Jan 13, 2007
Eusebio
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by galatico(m): 1:23pm On Jan 13, 2007
Roger Milla is the greatest Player to come out Africa.[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by ayomorocco(f): 3:47pm On Jan 13, 2007
Without a doubt, the answer is GEORGE 'OPPONG' WEAH.

Without any sentiment, the evidence speaks for itself. Look below for the hard and incontestable facts:

1.  He is the only African to ever win the FIFA World Player of the Year award (1995).

2.  He won the award for African Player of the Century.

3.  He won the award for African Footballer of the Year 3 Times (1989, 1994 & 1995).

4.  He won the award for European Footballer of the Year (1995).

5.  He won the Onze Mondial European Footballer of the Year (1995).

6.  He won the FIFA Fair Play Award (1996).

7.  In 1996 he came 2nd in the FIFA World Player of the Year award, losing the award to Ronaldo.

8.  1995 was his most successful year when he won the African, European, Onze and FIFA (World) Player awards.

9. He is described as one of the best players who never played in the World Cup.

For the sake of brevity, I will not even go into the titles/cups he has won with his different clubs.

P.S.  It is believed that Samuel Eto'o might match or exceed Weahs successes in the future but that remains to be seen.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by Nobody: 7:42am On Jan 14, 2007
Mohammed Kallon?. . .Yeah playin the U.A.E. is great!

George Weah easily!
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by mukina2: 11:25pm On Jan 14, 2007
donxman leave me alone . . tongue

yeah oppong fine

but moha kallon for me grin
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by Christino(m): 8:22pm On Jan 15, 2007
Mohammed Kallon is Mukina's Immam, infact She used to shuttle between Medina and Inter Milan back then grin
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by Radiant(f): 7:04pm On Jan 16, 2007
Between Roger Miller and George Weah smiley
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by mukina2: 8:13pm On Jan 16, 2007
hey chris .thunder scatter ur keyboard grin grin

oppong . .yeah *afterall he's my nieghbour* grin
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by Priscila(f): 12:55pm On Jan 18, 2007
yeah!
I ve heard repeatedly of that name George Weah.
He also wanted to be a Liberian President but his education dint match than of Ellen Johnson.
Anyway Roger Milla is a house hold name and someone called Abed Pelle.
In conclusion, I say any player who has won Africa Player of the year more than once is actually the greatest,
So,start naming them all, up to Sam as I fondly call him!
I cant be tempted to exclude Didier D. even if he has not won anything. he is great in his own way!
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by marlet01(m): 12:59pm On Jan 18, 2007
"George Weah" no dispute
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by debosky(m): 8:40pm On Jan 18, 2007
I dispute oh!

in terms of awards and co? yes Weah gets it, but Eusebio is a close contestant

and in popularity and folklore (stories you'll hear for ages to come) - abedi Pele and Roger Milla are better candidates in my humble opinion.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by waleleader(m): 10:29pm On Jan 18, 2007
charity begins at home-Rashidi Yekini

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by ayomorocco(f): 11:25pm On Jan 18, 2007
We are not talking myths and legends. We are talking about plain facts. A lot of people tend to hype their favourite candidates. What have these people done to be the best African player? Somebody please tell me.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by kitaun(m): 2:55am On Jan 19, 2007
@Debosky, Eusebio played for Portugal even if Mozambican by descent, so that disqualifies him!
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by Christino(m): 7:48pm On Jan 19, 2007
George Weah, no disputing, but someday, it'll be Martins - watch out!
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by shewun(m): 7:53pm On Jan 19, 2007
the best player africa ever produced is george weah
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by Priscila(f): 8:01am On Jan 20, 2007
OH!
this thread is from babwilms!
I know he would want to hear OKocha. I comply.
He is one of the greatest though with nothing big to show
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by babwilms(m): 6:34pm On Jan 22, 2007
Thank you Pricilla.
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned Jay Jay Okocha. Though he has not won any major trophy or award, but a true football fan will know he is the greatest to come out of Africa with nothing to show for it. At least by now i think he should have been three times African player of the year and twice world player of the year. Just an unlucky fellow. Even those you've mentioned will always regard him as one of greatest if not the greatest. You cannot mention ten greatest footballers without mentioning Jay Jay.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by amodu(m): 8:57pm On Jan 22, 2007
george weah.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by babwilms(m): 9:26pm On Jan 22, 2007
Can you please give reasons for your answers not just names?
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by VOR(m): 11:34pm On Jan 22, 2007
I think its got to be either George Weah or Roger Milla.

Weah had a fantastic club career but, (not his fault) a forgettable
international career.

Conversely, Milla did it at international level but his club career
was not so notable.

However, my personal favorite of all time was/is the one and only JAY-JAY.
When he was on his game he was a joy to watch.
I also loved watching Adokie Amesiemaka. Older members will remeber him.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by tng(f): 11:59am On Mar 08, 2007
GOERGE OPPONG WEAH.

Please people stop mentioning eusebio. he was a shining star for the portuguese not mozambique if am not mistaken.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by kaydee(m): 12:20pm On Mar 08, 2007
Eusebio? That Dude never said he is African.As far as he's concerned,he's Portugese. If anyone thinks Eusebio is qualified,then Zizou is Africa's greatest.

[size=16pt]GEORGE WEAH[/size] of course - Maybe Eto'o will be close someday
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by Abdblues(m): 12:37pm On Mar 08, 2007
By far George Weah! followed by Milla, still looking forward to another african winning the African, european and world footballer awards at a go,
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by RuuDie(m): 5:10pm On Mar 08, 2007
i'd go with King Roger Milla simply 'cos he posted brilliant performances in all the World Cup matches he played in & had a very illustrious club career, though with very small clubs but he made his mark with 'em all!
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by Nobody: 11:17am On Aug 22, 2009
I go like this:
1,Weah
2,Eto'o
3,Milla
4,Abedi
5,Drogba
6,Yeboah
7,Kanu
8,Okocha
9,Essien
10,Raber Madja
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by vikiviko(m): 12:41pm On Aug 22, 2009
1.Weah

2.Eto Fils

3. Milla

4.Abedi

5.Kanu

6.Drogba

7.Rabah Madjer

8.Kalusha Bwalya

9. Okocha

10.Hossam Hassan
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by chidichris(m): 1:46pm On Aug 22, 2009
kanu
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by galatico(m): 1:53pm On Aug 22, 2009
George Weah and Samuel Eto Fils!!!
Re: Who Is The Greatest Footballer That Has Ever Come Out Of Africa? by Phony200(m): 2:01pm On Aug 22, 2009
I'd go with Bro. Opong

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fenerbahce Release Joseph Yobo / RIO Tabletennis: Quadri Loses To Ma Long / Unai Emery Hints That Aubameyang Could Be Arsenal's Captain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.