Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,845 members, 7,813,852 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:49 PM

Man Is Forced To Pay Child Support For Bastard Child - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Man Is Forced To Pay Child Support For Bastard Child (463 Views)

Hotel Cleaner Who Stole Sperm From A Used Condom Won Child Support Battle / Bus Crash Victim Who Had His Foot Amputated Is Forced To Use It As Pillow / "This Bastard Snake Passed My In-Law's Leg And Entered My Shop" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Man Is Forced To Pay Child Support For Bastard Child by ozeman(m): 10:23pm On Jan 14, 2017
An Oklahoma man is being forced to pay child support for another man's child because he ordered a paternity test too late.

Thomas, who did not give his last name, asked for a paternity test for his three year old son when his marriage fell apart. 

He and his ex wife married after she got pregnant in high school. Thomas said at the time he had no reason to assume the baby was not his. 
When the couple's marriage fell apart around the time the baby turned three, something led Thomas to ask for a paternity test.

He took the test twice and both showed he was absolutely not the father. But it did not matter because in Oklahoma a man has to question paternity within two years. Legally, the non-biological child he was raising was his. 

Thomas said: 'I wish I was telling a lie. I wish it wasn’t the truth but it is.'

'That’s what makes it so crazy. Everyone I talk to about this can’t believe where the court system is coming from.'

News On 6 reports a judge initially ruled in favor of Thomas. But after revisiting the law, the judge ordered the duped dad to pay $500 per month in child support plus $15,000 in back support plus interest.

While Thomas is working to change the law, he accepts his fate.

However, he thinks DNA should be a determining factor for whether or not a man must pay child support rather than the child's age.  

He told the station: 'At this point, there's really nothing I can do to get out of the $15,000 or get out of the child support, it's done, it's the law.' 

According to the Oklahoma law, the child's mother and biological father could decide to let Thomas off the hook. But without their approval Thomas will be liable for child support for the next 15 years.
Culled from daily mail

Re: Man Is Forced To Pay Child Support For Bastard Child by veacea: 10:26pm On Jan 14, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Thread cancelled / Chris Brown’s $500k Lamborghini Aventador Completely Destroyed In Crash / How To Make A Generator-light Connection.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.