Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss (13734 Views)

Manager: 10 Outstanding Qualities Of A Great Boss / Want To Be A Great Boss? Do These 7 Things Every Day / 10 Signs You Have A Great Boss. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by alfa2016: 10:13am On Jan 16, 2017
We all know it. Bosses can be the most inconsiderate and most self centered people we will ever meet and quite honestly, most of us have tried to murder them...in our minds o!

But what makes a good boss different from just the fact that he/she is an employer? Is it strictness? Having a commanding tone? Or just the fact that he/she pays your salary?

Well...Here are my top ten things anyone should look out for that show your boss is a great boss.

1) A great boss will SHOW you how to accomplish a task instead of TELLING you how to accomplish a task. Hence the saying: " Do as I do and not as I say".

2) A great boss would never employ someone based on academic preferences or recommendations by friends or family. He/she would prefer you to show them what you can do on the spot!

3) A great boss is never partial i.e He/she has no favourites at the office. Everyone is equally treated- in clouding family members!

4) A great boss knows the difference of being strict and being wicked. I think this point is self explanatory.

5) A good boss doesn't act like a small 'god'. He/she knows each staff personally as well as professionally due to constant interaction and socializing outside a working environment.

6) A great boss has compassion for his/her staff.

7) A great boss can never be read in terms of character. A great boss would never allow you know what their thinking, that way they always keep you on your toes.

cool A great boss will keep his/driver happy....Always. Contrary to mass belief, Nigerian drivers always tend to have more knowledge of what goes around his boss' environment. They serve as spies. Plus they drive you. Literally your life is in their hands Everytime you step into your car.

9) A great boss should always employ a very handsome or beautiful receptionist. Its simply what you call STRATEGIC MARKETING and the face of your company relies on this.

10) A great boss should know when to apologise...irrespective of staff designation.

http://mojidelano.com/2017/01/8-things-to-look-for-in-a-great-boss/

Please add your comments below as to what you think should be added to this list....Ciao!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Alex593: 11:06am On Jan 16, 2017
Thanks for a great list! I working at http://www.123essay.biz/ and now I writing essay about this theme. Very helpful!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Donshemzy1234: 2:22pm On Jan 16, 2017
see op......

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by elidi(m): 2:22pm On Jan 16, 2017
nice one. the two above me, so you @alex593 and @Donshemzy1234 can't wait a little abi grin
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by ekesoft(m): 2:23pm On Jan 16, 2017
Lol... No Bleep given

Have you lost all HOPES? Is the recession hitting you harder by the day? Are you financially degraded? Then i ask haven't you heard of Bank of HOPE? a social what's app group which turns your dreams into reality. In Bank of HOPE we offer 50% of your start up capital within 48hrs.Yes you heard me right 50% within 48hours. To join group and turn your dreams into reality use the invite link.https:///HyseB2ySLeO54hiHJuOOae
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by ConcNiggress56(f): 2:23pm On Jan 16, 2017
OP must be a european..

Reverse is the opposite in nigeria.

The kind oga bosses that we have lately wants to fire down your legs or fire you if you don't allow them to fire.

I have seen a scenario where a boss slapped a surbordinate for a simple unavoidable mistake that costs $0.0000

The only CEOs that i know that exhibits this trait is ifeanyi ubah and tony elumelu.. I was priviledged to meet them one-on-one on over two occasions and believe me, first impression matters.
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by NotNairalandi(m): 2:23pm On Jan 16, 2017
(11)A great boss can never seize your salary or make trouble with you when he notice you want to resign undecided

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by nmreports: 2:23pm On Jan 16, 2017
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Geonigga(m): 2:25pm On Jan 16, 2017
This is educative.
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by dharmiedrums(m): 2:25pm On Jan 16, 2017
I happen to work with a wonderful personality. The man is just awesome.

I heart my Boss big time #Nohomo
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by voicelez: 2:26pm On Jan 16, 2017
Never forget that your boss don't wish you well, when they see you looking good they believe you are stealing their money

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by DEWKID(m): 2:29pm On Jan 16, 2017
am a BOSS be like me cool
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Thomdey: 2:30pm On Jan 16, 2017
soft.i wish some bosses shld be reading this by now
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by deebee13(f): 2:30pm On Jan 16, 2017
I'm a boss like that!

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Artixmentor(m): 2:30pm On Jan 16, 2017
Thank God I am a great boss
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Jagaban01(m): 2:32pm On Jan 16, 2017
[quote author=alfa2016 post=52848721]

http://mojidelano.com/2017/01/8-things-to-look-for-in-a-great-boss/

Please add your comments below as to what you think should be added to this list....Ciao!!!

Okk....noted
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by NotNairalandi(m): 2:32pm On Jan 16, 2017
Donshemzy1234:
see op......
what are you doing? dancing?
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by bamangar: 2:34pm On Jan 16, 2017
I love my new boss

Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by ephi123(f): 2:34pm On Jan 16, 2017
A great boss serves...

Unfortunately, most times you don't get to choose your boss, so all these listed qualities are simply just FYI.
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by wizkidblogger(f): 2:41pm On Jan 16, 2017
Oh K
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by jeftalene(m): 2:42pm On Jan 16, 2017
Sure..

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Vaabra01(f): 2:44pm On Jan 16, 2017
God plz giv me a gud boss
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Topshow2010(m): 2:55pm On Jan 16, 2017
ConcNiggress56:
OP must be a european..

Reverse is the opposite in nigeria.

The kind oga bosses that we have lately wants to fire down your legs or fire you if you don't allow them to fire.

I have seen a scenario where a boss slapped a surbordinate for a simple unavoidable mistake that costs $0.0000

The only CEOs that i know that exhibits this trait is ifeanyi ubah and tony elumelu.. I was priviledged to meet them one-on-one on over two occasions and believe me, first impression matters.

You re rite dt d write up was meant for d saner clime and nt ours bt wrong on Tony Elumelu based on my working relationshp wit him bt cnt say much on Ubah cuz I dnt know him .You shud get d real appraisal on Tony frm d core staff in UBA nd trnscorp nd nt d adulation in d media.
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Guyman02: 2:55pm On Jan 16, 2017
From the list it is obvious that there is no great boss in Nigeria?
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Eaglesence: 2:56pm On Jan 16, 2017
WITH THAT LIST, MY BOSS DEY TRY THEN. KUDOS TO HIM. NA GOD SHA. BABA I THANK YOU!
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by VickyRotex(f): 2:58pm On Jan 16, 2017
I am a Great Boss! cool cool
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Healthybiz: 3:03pm On Jan 16, 2017
smiley
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Diiverexii(f): 3:11pm On Jan 16, 2017
my BOSS is a great boss I can say it anywhr, just got the Job middle of December, nd I ask him today to give me 5 days of to go nd collect a document In my school, he didn't even blink an eye before saying okay, he was even saying will d 5 days be enough, I was shocked truly, God bless all dose good bosses out dere

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Snow5(m): 4:16pm On Jan 16, 2017
Diiverexii:
my BOSS is a great boss I can say it anywhr, just got the Job middle of December, nd I ask him today to give me 5 days of to go nd collect a document In my school, he didn't even blink an eye before saying okay, he was even saying will d 5 days be enough, I was shocked truly, God bless all dose good bosses out dere

Because you be woman... Lols

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by paymentvoucher: 4:32pm On Jan 16, 2017
God bless my boss. It is good to have Hausa as Bosses, too gooooooooooooooooooood

1 Like

Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jan 16, 2017
Donshemzy1234:
see op......
i love u
Re: 10 Things To Look For In A Great Boss by SmartyPants(m): 5:25pm On Jan 16, 2017
Op is mixing some things up...for example what has hiring a beautiful lady got to do with being a great boss? That has to do with being a smart, cynical strategist but does not relate to being a boss which is about leading and managing people. Now to be a great boss these are the three ingredients i feel are absolutely necessary:

1. Be technically sound

Roy Keane once said the most important quality of a leader is being the best player on the team. Whether you agree with him or not, it is vital that your subordinates can look up to you for guidance when stuck. You want to wield both legitimate positional authority and charismatic authority over them. If your staff understand the work better than you do, you have a problem on your hands.

2. Be utilitarian in the locus of your control

Being a strict overseer is not always good and its not always bad. What great bosses do is they evaluate their staff and they figure out who is a type A and who is a type B and relate with them accordingly. Type A' are best left loosely supervised whereas you might need to strictly monitor everything a type B is doing.

3. Never get personal

Being a nice boss and being a great boss are two different things. A nice boss is a pleasure to be around with, a great boss is one who helps you get the best out of yourself professionally. To do this he or she shouldn't get too personal with you. Almost inevitably, most people are driven by fear/reward in the work-place instead of intrinsic motivations such as personal ambition or the fear of God. So a great boss knows that their staff have to be afraid of what might happen when they mess up. This sort of tension is great for keeping employees alert. But if they are already too personal with you, they really are not going to take you serious most of the time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Our Encounters With Randy Men, Crazy Drivers – Female Traffic Controllers / 3 Life Lessons I Learned From A Shoe Cobbler - Johnspeak Uwangue / 5 Reason Why Freelancing Is Better Than A Full-time Job - Nigeriaonlinebusiness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.