Stats: 3,151,975 members, 7,814,325 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:03 AM

Will They Compensate Me? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Will They Compensate Me? (13345 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

Will They Compensate Me? by Zaccshegzy(m): 10:57am On May 24, 2022
Good day guys.

Please I'm currently working in a company, but I'm contemplating on resigning from the company.

I joined the company as a casual worker in 2017 and I was staffed in 2021...

Now my question is this, if I should resign this year, would I be entitled to any compensation or gratuity from the company?

If yes, are they going to calculate it from the year I joined the company (2017) or from 2021 when the staffed me?

Please I really needs detailed explanation to my questions.

Thanks very much guys for taking your time to answer my questions, God bless you all.
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by rickpat(m): 11:26am On May 24, 2022
most likely from 2021...but it's better you ask someone in the HR department... company policy differs

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Zaccshegzy(m): 12:13pm On May 24, 2022
rickpat:
most likely from 2021...but it's better you ask someone in the HR department... company policy differs

Okay, thanks very much sir.
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Zaccshegzy(m): 8:38pm On May 24, 2022
Please I need more answers, I have to decide what to do soon.
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by iCauseTrouble: 4:44pm On May 25, 2022
What's written on your letter of employment? Irrespective, if you are going to get anything, It's going to be when you became full staff.

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by IboHausaYoruba: 4:44pm On May 25, 2022
This is a very clear case. Your entitlements will be calculated from the day you were confirmed as a staff member. If you like spend 59 years as a casual worker, those years will definitely not count. Asides, please do not expect much from the company because the calculations would be based on years of contributions to the growth of the company. In this your case, you've just a meagre 1 year or less. Some companies will not even give you a dime due to short period of stay.

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by englishmart(m): 4:44pm On May 25, 2022
If you deserved any gratuity, that started counting when you got staffed.
Compensation isn't the right word there. What exactly are they compensating you for, for resigning after just one year?
did their office building encrouch your land? Or you lost a vital organ during work?

Even people who worked for 10 years don't get any gratuity when they resign, this is Nigeria.
Gratuity comes after retirement not resignation.
How many civil service employees get gratuities after retirements, let alone a resignation from work just one year of getting staffed.
If anybody should be compensated, it's the company. They should be compensated by you for disappointing them.
If you had left due to retrenchment, redundancy or retirement then you could be entitled for a gratuity, that's if your records are good, or you have humane employer

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Bastvista: 4:45pm On May 25, 2022
They should

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Goldenheart(m): 4:45pm On May 25, 2022
wink

Simple question you can ask your HR systematically...
Your company is in the best position to answer your question...

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by ghidhehorn(m): 4:46pm On May 25, 2022
It depends on your company policy...

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Babawee: 4:46pm On May 25, 2022
I don't think they will compensate you since you resigned honorably
If it's retrenchment then u will get compensated but if it's resigning
You won't get paid

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by erjo: 4:49pm On May 25, 2022
Zaccshegzy:
Good day guys.

Please I'm currently working in a company, but I'm contemplating on resigning from the company.

Now my question is this, if I should resign this year, would I be entitled to any compensation or gratuity from the company?

If yes, are they going to calculate it from the year I joined the company (2017) or from 2021 when the staffed me?

Please I really needs detailed explanation to my qu
Restions.

Thanks very much guys for taking your time to answer my questions, God bless you all.

You'll only be compensated if the company sacked u, not wen u resigned on ur own

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Yseone(m): 5:02pm On May 25, 2022
Compensations are calculated when you joined the company(that is, number of years you have worked not when you were confirmed or staffed) and it is also calculated based on your current earning.
Although, some company polices differs but this is labour law but i encourage you to confirm again from your HR and find out the company policy.
Goodluck

rickpat:

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Yseone(m): 5:04pm On May 25, 2022
Compensations are calculated when you joined the company(that is, number of years you have worked not when you were confirmed or staffed) and it is also calculated based on your current earning.
Although, some company polices differs but this is labour law but i encourage you to confirm again from your HR and find out the company policy.
Goodluck

Zaccshegzy:
Good day guys.

Please I really needs detailed explanation to my questions.

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by rickpat(m): 6:30pm On May 25, 2022
Yseone:
Goodluck

yes...it's just better he confirms from the HR
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Zaccshegzy(m): 7:25pm On May 25, 2022
Yseone:
Goodluck

Thanks so much for this informative answer.

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Zaccshegzy(m): 7:25pm On May 25, 2022
rickpat:
yes...it's just better he confirms from the HR

Thanks very much.
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Zaccshegzy(m): 7:27pm On May 25, 2022
iCauseTrouble:
What's written on your letter of employment? Irrespective, if you are going to get anything, It's going to be when you became full staff.

Thanks so much.
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Zaccshegzy(m): 7:33pm On May 25, 2022
erjo:

You'll only be compensated if the company sacked u, not wen u resigned on ur own

Really? But I've heard of people who resigned on their own being compensated or should I say being paid gratuity.

I don't really understand, but I'm very sure they were being paid some resoanable amount of money.
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Zaccshegzy(m): 8:33pm On May 26, 2022
IboHausaYoruba:
This is a very clear case. Your entitlements will be calculated from the day you were confirmed as a staff member. If you like spend 59 years as a casual worker, those years will definitely not count. Asides, please do not expect much from the company because the calculations would be based on years of contributions to the growth of the company. In this your case, you've just a meagre 1 year or less. Some companies will not even give you a dime due to short period of stay.

Thanks very much for this detailed explanation.
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Zaccshegzy(m): 8:36pm On May 26, 2022
englishmart:
Compensation isn't the right word there. What exactly are they compensating you for, for resigning after just one year?
did their office building encrouch your land? Or you lost a vital organ during work?

Even people who worked for 10 years don't get any gratuity when they resign, this is Nigeria.
How many civil service employees get gratuities after retirements, let alone a resignation from work just one year of getting staffed.
If anybody should be compensated, it's the company. They should be compensated by you for disappointing them.
If you had left due to retrenchment, redundancy or retirement then you could be entitled for a gratuity, that's if your records are good, or you have humane employer

Thanks very much sir.
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Zaccshegzy(m): 8:38pm On May 26, 2022
A big thanks to everyone for your contribution to this post, I think I know what steps to take now.

I really appreciate everyone's contribution.
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by MissOpe(f): 12:44pm On May 16, 2023
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Easybet1(m): 12:45pm On May 16, 2023
You want to resign and expect the company to compensate you for resigning work. Most companies only compensate staff when they sack them and not when you resigned. Infact if you did not resign properly, you will still be the one to compensate the company

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by JoshTim: 12:46pm On May 16, 2023
This differs from company to company. It's not something you ask nairalanders....go and ask your HR.
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by bewla(m): 12:46pm On May 16, 2023
E
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Risingblue008(m): 12:47pm On May 16, 2023
T3
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by isabi2lof: 12:47pm On May 16, 2023
Almost a year now
Re: Will They Compensate Me? by Kinghp: 12:48pm On May 16, 2023
englishmart:

Truth been told. OP... Hope you read this with all your chest.

Re: Will They Compensate Me? by labake1(f): 12:49pm On May 16, 2023
Job wahala

Alison: 100 Courses Offered Free Of Charge + Certificate / Oil Workers Block Imo Govt House, Demand Salaries (photo) / Ericsson To Sack Nigerians As Firm Ships Jobs To India