Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,718 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case (40905 Views)

Streets Of Gambia Crowded As Barrow Returns (Photos) / UN Confirms Barrow As President Of Gambia / Their Military Strength Of Gambia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by andyanders: 5:18pm On Jan 16, 2017
If other African leaders cannot concede power just like Jonathan did, they should be driven out from their offices.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by SmartyPants(m): 5:18pm On Jan 16, 2017
oluwafreshkid:

You don't get the gist, do you?
The electoral commission in Gambia announced the results, same commission then came out to say there were irregularities in the election.
Now, jammeh, who conceded defeat earlier, now went to court because of what the commission said. But the way their court operates in Gambia, they'll need supreme court judges from other countries to come and preside over the case. Now, these countries won't release judges to Gambia because this is not the time that they release judges. So the case is stalled. Now jammeh os begging ecowas to allow Dem judges to coman decide the case please.
Understood?

There is a constitution which is the supreme law of the land, and the constitution says:

1. The IEC declares the winner
2. The winner is inaugurated
3. Petition can be filed independent of this process

Meaning that the proper thing to do is allow the inauguration to take place while the case goes on in court. There is no reason why the case must be concluded before the inauguration.

1 Like

Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by grodt999: 5:25pm On Jan 16, 2017
Dindondin:
He should allow Barrow in & call for another election.

spoken like a true African, never accept election 1st time.

What part of Barrow won do you not understand?

1 Like

Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by HonabFaj(m): 5:30pm On Jan 16, 2017
Jammeh Jammeh Jammeh
Step down in peace
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by Plus234(m): 5:30pm On Jan 16, 2017
SmartyPants:

There is a constitution which is the supreme law of the land, and the constitution says:

1. The IEC declares the winner
2. The winner is inaugurated
3. Petition can be filed independent of this process

Meaning that the proper thing to do is allow the inauguration to take place while the case goes on in court. There is no reason why the case must be concluded before the inauguration.

just like peter obi and ngige of anambra state

1 Like

Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by nellyelitz(m): 5:47pm On Jan 16, 2017
this man is up for something... why must he made the call public is he sending some kind of message?
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jan 16, 2017
All my life the religious people like Jammeh that I've done business with are the most ridiculously dishonest people that I've known. I'm especially suspicious of anyone who are quick to use these lines "in sha allah", "in Jesus name", "I'm a born again" when the occasion doesn't warrant such. It's a red flag.
P.S.: Not everyone that uses these lines is dishonest. But like the magician's misdirection, these seemingly religious folks are hiding their deeper self with religious pretense.

5 Likes

Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by codedguy1(m): 6:06pm On Jan 16, 2017
oluwafreshkid:
The Gambian electoral commission stated that there were irregularities in the concluded elections although these irregularities di not significantly affect the result of the polls.
Now, this man is not forcing himself in power, he simply wants to plead his case in court. Simple.
Gambia lacks high profile legal practitioners,they don't have supreme court judges so they rely on ecowas states to provide judges. This is why his case is still pend in in court.

After perpetuating himself in power for over 2 decades he could not establish a free and fair election process. He now wants ECOWAS to come and look into the matter.

the fact that he has already conceded makes the whole thing look like an after thought.

He should get our of there jawe.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by brightalo17: 6:08pm On Jan 16, 2017
lilfreezy:
Buhari sef will prove stubbornness come 2019.
Prophet of doom....talk the one at hand and leave the next 2 years own at least for now.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by Ajalekoko76(m): 6:12pm On Jan 16, 2017
Jammeh will step down on 18th of Jan.2017. He is a clown,he no get liver.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by youngjoy(f): 6:16pm On Jan 16, 2017
hmmmmm dat one thing that Jonathan is not easy oooooooo..... at all bcus most of this our Africa leaders are selfish and wicked
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by youngjoy(f): 6:17pm On Jan 16, 2017
hmmmmm dat one thing that Jonathan did is not easy oooooooo..... at all bcus most of this our Africa leaders are selfish and wicked
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by lonelydora: 6:18pm On Jan 16, 2017
Logician:
If indeed there were irregularities, he should be bold and not be cowed to leave

He shouldn't have conceded defeat.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by BlackOnassis(m): 6:18pm On Jan 16, 2017
jomoh:

Anytime you mention Gadaffi you should put some respect on that name.

Gadaffi never conducted an election let alone reject the outcome of an election.

He was the best leader an African country has ever produced. His presence intimidated the west and portrays them as failure for their inability to control him.

The whole world and the perpetrators of the evil that outsted Gadaffi has regretted their actions and they will continue to do so as long as suicide bombers still remains a threat outhere.

Once again, next time you want to mention Gadaffi's name in anegative manner, you should do some research on the economic confortability of lybians during Gadaffi and after Gadaffi.

You are right. Gadafi is no saint but that man deserves respect for what he did for Libya and Africa.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by RaptorX: 6:23pm On Jan 16, 2017
Something must have happened or he had access to new information about Mr Barrow why he decided to change his mind from stepping down, cause why would he concede defeat in the first place or even organise elections that was free and fair.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by BuddhaPalm(m): 6:24pm On Jan 16, 2017
BabaO2:
The guy is too dirty both in appearance and manners for my liking

His babe be like ice cream.

I'm sure she doesn't mind.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by donbenie(m): 6:29pm On Jan 16, 2017
oluwafreshkid:

You don't get the gist, do you?
The electoral commission in Gambia announced the results, same commission then came out to say there were irregularities in the election.
Now, jammeh, who conceded defeat earlier, now went to court because of what the commission said. But the way their court operates in Gambia, they'll need supreme court judges from other countries to come and preside over the case. Now, these countries won't release judges to Gambia because this is not the time that they release judges. So the case is stalled. Now jammeh os begging ecowas to allow Dem judges to coman decide the case please.
Understood?
I got the jist alright,like I said earlier the result has been announced and that is that,if he has issues with it there's a constitutional way to contest it and refusing to step down is not it..
Let's imagine for a moment he Jammeh had won the election with said irregularities detected,would he have stepped aside until the issues were resolved?..I doubt it,let him do the needful..even the American election of 2000 between Gore and Bush was clearly irregular but the looser accepted in good faith with his constitutional options very clear to him..
This has been the same excuse every sit tight African DESPOT has given while refusing to step down,from Gbagbo to Mugabe and I find it inconceivable that any right thinking African would condone it..
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by Lightening: 6:35pm On Jan 16, 2017
oluwafreshkid:
The Gambian electoral commission stated that there were irregularities in the concluded elections although these irregularities di not significantly affect the result of the polls.
Now, this man is not forcing himself in power, he simply wants to plead his case in court. Simple.
Gambia lacks high profile legal practitioners,they don't have supreme court judges so they rely on ecowas states to provide judges. This is why his case is still pend in in court.

What about handing over first and thereafter pleading his case in the court rather than heating up their polity as obtained under every democracy.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by soath(m): 6:37pm On Jan 16, 2017
From what I heard him say, he remains resolute on going nowhere. Gambians should run to safety.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by jomoh: 6:48pm On Jan 16, 2017
BlackOnassis:

You are right. Gadafi is no saint but that man deserves respect for what he did for Libya and Africa.

Exactly my point. The man was no saint but people should stop attributing the man's name to negativity in Africa.

He deserves a great deal of respect from Africans even the likes of Obama and Clinton are regretting their actions because directly or indirectly it contributed to Clintons loss at the polls.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by omolami: 6:53pm On Jan 16, 2017
I tought the army is loyal to him. Why waste time to do the needful?
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by LePrezident(m): 6:57pm On Jan 16, 2017
oluwafreshkid:

K.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by LePrezident(m): 7:05pm On Jan 16, 2017
jomoh:

Anytime you mention Gadaffi you should put some respect on that name.

Gadaffi never conducted an election let alone reject the outcome of an election.

He was the best leader an African country has ever produced. His presence intimidated the west and portrays them as failure for their inability to control him.

The whole world and the perpetrators of the evil that outsted Gadaffi has regretted their actions and they will continue to do so as long as suicide bombers still remains a threat outhere.

Once again, next time you want to mention Gadaffi's name in anegative manner, you should do some research on the economic confortability of lybians during Gadaffi and after Gadaffi.

Guy, your are one of the wisest on NL. Tell them again! Put some respect on brother Al-Qathafi's name. How can people even dream to mention that dishonorable Jammeh in the same sentence as Al-Qathafi, such disrespect. Al-Qathafi was killed by imperialists, Jammeh will be dealt with the way he foolishly deserves.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by LePrezident(m): 7:08pm On Jan 16, 2017
Guyman02:

Gaddafi was killed by Western leaders who unleashed terrorists in his country and not by Libyans, show him some respect. He gave Libya the highest standard of living in Africa.

You are wise.

1 Like

Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by LePrezident(m): 7:09pm On Jan 16, 2017
akanbiaa:
Despites Jammehs shortcomings as a human as we all, Jammeh is one of the few African leaders remaining that is not a puppet and have the courage to speak against the tactical slavery of African States by the West thru IMF, world bank etc and such leaders will always be on their radar.

Funny. Let's imagine all these attribute you share of him are true, does it give him more heads than other Gambians? Does it mean he shouldn't reliquinsh power after he has lost an election? Is he the wisest man in The Gambia?
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by LePrezident(m): 7:15pm On Jan 16, 2017
Phlegmwash:
All my life the religious people like Jammeh that I've done business with are the most ridiculously dishonest people that I've known. I'm especially suspicious of anyone who are quick to use these lines "in sha allah", "in Jesus name", "I'm a born again" when the occasion doesn't warrant such. It's a red flag.
P.S.: Not everyone that uses these lines is dishonest. But like the magician's misdirection, these seemingly religious folks are hiding their deeper self with religious pretense.

I totally agree with you. An individal's princciples should be enough for him or her to be a good person on the average. Most people who need religion to be good are naturally bad and treacherous people and they use their religion as hypocritical cover-up.

1 Like

Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by goodnews777: 7:19pm On Jan 16, 2017
This are the nonentities that bring disgrace and disrespect upon the black race. Just go , he won't until he kills innocent people.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 16, 2017
Mocalypse:
Let him do the needful or he will be Gaddafied

Or Gbagbodized. grin
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by Smartmey(m): 7:41pm On Jan 16, 2017
Mocalypse:
Let him do the needful or he will be Gaddafied
o boy grin grin
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by Smartmey(m): 7:47pm On Jan 16, 2017
thank u thank u my sister grin so he no get liver lol, u for wait to face nigerian battalion. were eran ibon.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by cybriz82(m): 7:51pm On Jan 16, 2017
ilobasama:
African leaders and sit-tight syndrome
After over 2 decades in power he refuses to vacate the sit

if him try am...na inside my dream i go give am apple chop.
Re: Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case by bigtt76(f): 8:44pm On Jan 16, 2017
Why have they not grown their own judges? Imagine since independence. Haba. grin

bnanzip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-169yuL18s

President Yahaya Jammeh of the Gambia on the phone to Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf seeking the ECOWAS clearance to allow judges from other countries come to The Gambia and hear his case against the election results he rejected.

He is pleading with the Chairperson, President Sirleaf to help him facilitate the process according to the constitution.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Female Israeli Soldier Rescued In Raid On Gaza / Man Arrested After Faking Heart Attack In 20 Restaurants To Avoid Paying Bill / Trump To Reporter: Don't Talk To Me That Way, I'm The US President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.