Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,313 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? (3520 Views)

The Fallacy Of "Free Will" / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Says The Bible Does Not Say Anything About Tattoos False / Divorce And The Bible: Does God Allow Mistakes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? by Atheists: 10:05am On Nov 26, 2009
Xtians pliz help me out can you show me where in the bible it says we got free will ?
Re: Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? by tiatma: 10:32am On Nov 26, 2009
Atheists:

Xtians pliz help me out can you show me where in the bible it says we got free will ?

@Atheists

The below are out of many . . .

Ezra 7:16 KJV:

And all the silver and gold that thou canst find in all the province of Babylon, with the [size=14pt]freewill[/size] offering of the people,

and of the priests, offering willingly for the house of their God which is in Jerusalem:

Philemon 1:14 (American Standard Version):

but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but [size=14pt]of free will.[/size]

Revelation 22:17 KJV:

And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come.

And whosoever [size=14pt] will[/size], let him take the water of life [size=14pt]freely[/size].

Re: Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? by BADLEE: 10:59am On Nov 26, 2009
Atheists:

[b]Choose [/b]whom this day whom you will serve, I and my family we will serve the Lord, ( The holy One of Israel) Joshua 24 :15
Re: Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? by Horus(m): 11:35am On Nov 26, 2009
Christians do not seem to have free will, because they cannot stop doing sins.
Do you know a christian who stoped doing sins?
If christians have free will why they keep doing sins again and again?
Re: Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? by BADLEE: 11:46am On Nov 26, 2009
Horus:

Do you know a christian who stoped doing sins?

Are you saying that sin is what is controlling their wills ?
Re: Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? by tiatma: 11:54am On Nov 26, 2009
Horus:

Do you know a christian who stopped doing sins?

@Horus

The below verses should give pointers, read up previous verses for a proper heads up

Romans 7: 18-25 Contemporary English Version (CEV):

18I know that my selfish desires won't let me do anything that is good. Even when I want to do right, I cannot.

19Instead of doing what I know is right, I do wrong.

20And so, if I don't do what I know is right, I am no longer the one doing these evil things. The sin that lives in me is what does them.

21The Law has shown me that something in me keeps me from doing what I know is right.

22With my whole heart I agree with the Law of God.

23But in every part of me I discover something fighting against my mind, and it makes me a prisoner of sin that controls everything I do.

24What a miserable person I am. Who will rescue me from this body that is doomed to die?

25Thank God! Jesus Christ will rescue me. So with my mind I serve the Law of God, although my selfish desires make me serve the law of sin.

Re: Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? by Horus(m): 12:12pm On Nov 26, 2009
BADLEE:

Are you saying that sin is what is controlling their wills ?

No, what I am saying is; Why they cannot use their "free will" to just stop doing sins.
Re: Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? by tiatma: 12:17pm On Nov 26, 2009
Horus:

No, what I am saying is; Why they cannot use their "free will" to just stop doing sins.

@above

"Why they cannot use their "free will" to just stop doing sins.?" because of the tussle between the spirit man and the carnal man
Re: Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? by Atheists: 6:32pm On Nov 26, 2009
Rom.8:29-30
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate, Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

Predestination and free will ? How cone you reconcile those two opposite ideas ?
Re: Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? by BADLEE: 6:56pm On Nov 26, 2009
Atheists:

Predestination and free will ? How cone you reconcile those two opposite ideas ?

You are even going far, ask them how come God created the both to work at the same time.
Re: Where In The Bible Does It Say We Have Free Will ? by Telescope: 7:20pm On Nov 26, 2009
Predestination and Free Will—Reconcilable?

Consider how Jehovah God made us. “In God’s image he created [man]; male and female he created them,” states the Bible. (Genesis 1:27) Made in God’s likeness, we have the ability to reflect his qualities, such as love, justice, wisdom, and power. God has also given us the gift of free will, or freedom of choice. This makes us unique among his earthly creation. We can choose whether we will follow God’s moral guidance or not. That is why the prophet Moses could say: “I do take the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you today, that I have put life and death before you, the blessing and the malediction; and you must choose life in order that you may keep alive, you and your offspring, by loving Jehovah your God, by listening to his voice and by sticking to him.”—Deuteronomy 30:19, 20.

T[b]he gift of freedom of choice, though, does not mean absolute freedom.[/b] It does not free us from the physical and moral laws that God made for the stability [/b]and peace of the universe. These laws were set up for our good, and any violation of them could lead to serious consequences. [b]Just think of what would happen if we chose to ignore the law of gravity and jumped off the roof of a tall building!—Galatians 6:7.

Freedom of choice also binds us with a restraint that creatures lacking such freedom do not have. The writer Corliss Lamont asks: “How can we attribute ethical responsibility to men, and punish them for wrongdoing, if we accept . . . that their choices and actions are predetermined?” [/b]Of course, we cannot. Instinct-driven animals are not held morally responsible for what they do, nor are computers deemed accountable for the functions they are programmed to perform. [b]Freedom of choice, then, places upon us a heavy responsibility and makes us accountable for our actions.

How unloving and unjust Jehovah God would be if before we were born, he predetermined the course we would take and then held us responsible for our actions! He does not do this, for “God is love,” and “all his ways are justice.” (1 John 4:8; Deuteronomy 32:4) Having given us freedom of choice, he did not at the same time ‘determine from eternity whom he would save and whom he would damn,’ as believers in predestination assert. Freedom of choice precludes predestination.

The Bible clearly shows that the choices we make will alter our destiny. For example, God appeals to wrongdoers, saying: “Turn back, please, every one from his bad way and from the badness of your dealings . . . that I may not cause calamity to you.” (Jeremiah 25:5, 6) This appeal would be pointless if God had already fixed each individual’s destiny. Moreover, God’s Word states: “Repent, therefore, and turn around so as to get your sins blotted out, that seasons of refreshing may come from the person of Jehovah.” (Acts 3:19) Why would Jehovah ask people to repent and turn around if he knew beforehand that they could do absolutely nothing to change their destiny?

The Scriptures speak of some who are invited by God to rule as kings in heaven with Jesus Christ. (Matthew 22:14; Luke 12:32) However, the Bible says that they will lose that privilege if they do not endure to the end. (Revelation 2:10) Why would God invite them at all if he had already decided that they would not be chosen? Consider also the apostle Paul’s words to his fellow believers. He wrote: “If we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left.” (Hebrews 10:26) Such a warning would be valueless if God had foreordained their destiny. But has not God foreordained at least some individuals to be rulers with Jesus Christ?

(1) (Reply)

The God Africans Had Belief Before Europe Invasion / Why Do Christains Lie!?? / Shari'ah: The Great Brain Robbery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.