Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,058 members, 7,814,642 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:50 PM

Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again (6200 Views)

How To Flash A Number On Airtel With #0 Balance / How To Call (flash) A Number Without Having Airtime On Your SIM Card / How To Flash A Nokia Phone Without Computer System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Mrop(m): 9:46pm On Jan 16, 2017
Next time you want to pose a picture flashing a
peace sign and post it on Facebook, don’t-
unless you want to risk future identity theft.
Researchers at Japan’s National Institute of
Informatics (NII) recently learned that they
could copy fingerprints based on photos taken
by a digital camera positioned nine feet away
from the subject.

“Just by casually making a peace sign in front
of a camera, fingerprints can become widely
available,” Isao Echizen, NII researcher, told the
Sankei Shimbun newspaper. Echizen said in
another TV interview that fingerprint data can
easily be recreated if the person’s fingers are
in focus with strong lighting in a picture.

Fingerprint recognition technology is becoming
widely available lately. Computers and
smartphones now come with all sorts of
biometric technology that allow people to
unlock their devices or sign into bank accounts
by simply pressing their fingertip on the phone.
An example of this is Apple’s Touch ID on
iPhones.

The researchers at NII developed a fingerprint
anti-theft prevention substance that can obscure
and even produce false fingerprints into the
frame. So if peace sign identity-theft ever
becomes a huge issue, they’ll be ready to help
us out.

The peace sign is a very popular way to pose
for photos in Japan, which is why the
researchers decided to look into it specifically.
However, the photo lifting technique does not
require advanced technology and can be
applied on other common gestures such as
waving or giving a thumbs up.

This whole concept might appear to be the
plot if a CSI TV show, but it’s actually
happened before. In 2014, hackers were able to
fake Germany’s defense minister’s fingerprints
and unlock her phone by using photos of her
hands.

There was another case in replicating
fingerprints last summer when the Michigan
Police Department asked Michigan State
University researcher to help unlock a victim’s
phone.

The school used scans the police had on file
from a previous arrest to 3D print the
fingerprints, but they were struggling to find the
right conductive material to unlock the phone.
Many security experts will argue that biometrics
are safer than passwords that people create,
but unlike passwords, fingerprints can’t be
changed to new ones whenever they’re stolen.

Maybe politicians should start wearing gloves.

Source ::: http://www.praizeblog.com/2017/01/for-security-purposes-heres-why-you.html?m=0

Cc lalasticlala fynestboi ishilove ijebabe missyb3

Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by poksmahn(m): 9:48pm On Jan 16, 2017
kai.. oyinbo juju.. these white men are wonderful oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Nobody: 9:58pm On Jan 16, 2017
Ok oo
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by SammieLowkey(m): 10:01pm On Jan 16, 2017
Beht I like it na.. embarassed

MODIFIED
Mrop:
Maybe politicians should start wearing gloves.

Hand gloves bawo? On top agbada?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by sleeknick: 10:48pm On Jan 16, 2017
Ah. Which one we go come do na.. War sign?

1 Like

Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by johnbuck81(m): 11:31pm On Jan 16, 2017
na wa o...anything man do dem must talk.
if u no do..dem must talk.
I just luv ma peace sign.
I'll keep sampling ma index n middle fingers together.

1 Like

Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by policy12: 11:37pm On Jan 16, 2017
Respect to the developed countries where things work, where enable environment make u to reason well as human and not as people,where leaders lead and not looters, a place leaders think of the national development not his own generations endowment.

A place where change of leadership is not a do or die affairs,not like Africa that we av the pic below how can we develop?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by bongo007(m): 11:39pm On Jan 16, 2017
Since we are not safe with d peace sign anymore maybe somebody should come up with d hate sign..to pose snap picture with ur own phone don turn wahala..
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by MrHighSea: 12:16am On Jan 17, 2017
Hmm. Wu my finger print epp

2 Likes

Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by franklynsunny(m): 12:54am On Jan 17, 2017
Rubbish
Wat about fuc*k u sign
Wetin scientists go fit discover dis time

1 Like

Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by shaggy007(m): 1:11am On Jan 17, 2017
franklynsunny:
Rubbish
Wat about fuc*k u sign
Wetin scientists go fit discover dis time

grin

Maybe you go fit give girl belle with the 4k you sign

grin

4 Likes

Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by ademega(m): 2:59am On Jan 17, 2017
Seriously serious
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by psalmsjob: 5:35am On Jan 17, 2017
This simply means no technology is foolproof in terms of security. As long as it's man-made then it can be cracked.

Another thought is that when we Africans stop worrying about what to eat or the very basic necessities of life then we can advance in technology or research.
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by angelTI(f): 6:27am On Jan 17, 2017
I am sure another research will come out debunking this
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by freakthingz(m): 7:19am On Jan 17, 2017
Eh let them take fingerprint since Bleep I wanted to give has just finished
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Opistorincos(m): 8:27am On Jan 17, 2017
Nice info
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Nobody: 8:45am On Jan 17, 2017
Na to dey flash war sign now o
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Nbote(m): 10:16am On Jan 17, 2017
Abeggi!! Identity thief for dis part of the world? Make una no dey post wetin no concern us abeg. We neva get our population right first not to talk of get records of the population before we com begin mention dna and fingerprint records. Most of our fingerprint no go show sef because of hardship

3 Likes

Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by FellepHq(m): 10:39am On Jan 17, 2017
If you are afraid your finger print can be stolen from a piece-sign photo, then you should consider wearing gloves everywhere you go, cos your finger print is all over wherever you touch, door knob, purse, car door, desk e.t.c.

I personally hate fingerprint security for fear of loosing a finger to criminals
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jan 17, 2017
Kim was made for the pleasure of men
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jan 17, 2017
angelTI:
I am sure another research will come out debunking this

What research? This is not rocket science. If you can find a way to zoom a picture without losing clarity, then patterns can be copied off it. Furthermore, digital images are made up of binary numbers, so all sorts of information can be extracted from them. undecided

Estharfabian...I dare you to upload your picture someday and see if I won't deduce info from it - everything from your ancestry to your favorite food. tongue
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Afobear: 4:11pm On Jan 17, 2017
Haute:

What research? This is not rocket science. If you can find a way to zoom a picture without losing clarity, then patterns can be copied off it. Furthermore, digital images are made up of binary numbers, so all sorts of information can be extracted from them. undecided

Estharfabian...I dare you to upload your picture someday and see if I won't deduce info from it - everything from your ancestry to your favorite food. tongue
Yeah bla bla bla its possible but oga you doing it ?get the Bleep outta here

Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 17, 2017
Afobear:
Yeah bla bla bla its possible but oga you doing it ?get the Bleep outta here

I can't recollect inviting a dog to the party. You better stay on your lane mofo. You lack home training. *spits*
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Afobear: 4:32pm On Jan 17, 2017
Haute:

I can't recollect inviting a dog to the party. You better stay on your lane mofo. You lack home training. *spits*
reserve that your acidic spittle for your mother who did a wrong job raising a deluded fellow thereby contributing to the decay of the society.callin me a dog just shows how much moral is saved in your moral bank reprobate
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Pranxta(m): 5:24pm On Jan 17, 2017
Maka why
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jan 17, 2017
Afobear:
reserve that your acidic spittle for your mother who did a wrong job raising a deluded fellow thereby contributing to the decay of the society.callin me a dog just shows how much moral is saved in your moral bank reprobate

Just shut up and go and die already, idiot. Stay the fucck on your lane. Is that so hard to understand? undecided
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by Afobear2: 6:25pm On Jan 17, 2017
Haute:

Just shut up and go and die already, idiot. Stay the fucck on your lane. Is that so hard to understand? undecided
bst ,get busy and go look for your father
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by yorex2011: 6:35pm On Jan 17, 2017
Including pictures taken with a phone with poor camera quality? undecided
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by dauddy97(m): 8:26pm On Jan 17, 2017
wao,this is wonderment.....
Re: Here's Why You Shouldn't Flash A Peace Sign While Posing For Photos Again by LordZero(m): 8:42pm On Jan 17, 2017
we will get there one day....

Make I siddown dey enjoy d fight that's going on upstairs jare .

(1) (Reply)

MTN Is Giving Out Free 4GB Data To Their Customers / My Nigeria Mobile is Legit / See Wetin People Dey Take Buy Phone And I Dey Find 20k To Buy Tecno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.