Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,974 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. (26366 Views)

Eziagu Festival Of Heritage Records Impressive Cultural Exhibitions, Masquerades / Paul Oghenero Okumagba Is Dead! Orosuen Of Okere-Urhobo Kingdom Dies / Prof. Paul Okumagba Crowned As Orosuen Of Okere Urhobo Warri, Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by ifihearam: 3:06pm On Jan 19, 2017
erico2k2:

nah wah 4 Una shaaaa.,
so Wisdom Ekuruemu of the Ekuruemu family of Okere-Urhobo is now an Itshekiri MAN? your brain needs urgent Rest

Oga all na itsekiri juju oooooo. I fit even call their names
Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 3:06pm On Jan 19, 2017
uchelouis45:
So you came to Nairaland to show off your family fa?! I clicked to see masqueredes not Wisdom or the 'Patriach of one powerful family' In short I don't give a fvuk.
It's not like that. I'm not even related to them... Apart from the fact that we're all Urhobos. The Man, wisdom there provided the pictures and he's a cultural promoter also. The other man, Emmanuel Okumagba, is the head of a very Important family in not just Warri but Urhoboland. The last monarch of the Okere-Urhobo, Benjamin Okumagba (a new king is yet to be crowned) was once President-General of Urhobo cultural Apex body, the UPU and was from the Okumagba family... this man is next in like in the family Patriarchy.

If you are an Urhobo, you'll understand.

2 Likes

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 3:10pm On Jan 19, 2017
BbcNews:
Frm A Protege Of The Urhobo ,am Isoko And I Pay Homage To My Urhobo People
Welldone Oniovo me r'Isoko.

Forget the politics, Urhobo and Isoko are one.
Once again, Thanks Oza.

1 Like

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 3:15pm On Jan 19, 2017
ifihearam:

Oga, if you understand our people and the cultures well, you'll understand most of these Masquerades are replicated between Ijaw Itsekiri and Urhobo.... Understandably, these are ethnic neighbors.

Dem no get Urhobo names too?
Have you been to any of Aladja Masquerade festivals before? This one sef dey learn.

It's a shared heritage please.
Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 3:19pm On Jan 19, 2017
fratermathy:

We do. There are festivals in every clan. Just that Christianity and anti-traditionalism are phasing them out and rendering them stale and obsolete.

What Urhobo needs is a cultural revival which will cut across our language, dressing, food, festivals, etc. We need modern Urhobo youths to embrace the culture before it goes into extinction.
Yes. And that's why we're here.

That anomaly must be corrected.
By the way, where exactly are you from?

1 Like

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 3:25pm On Jan 19, 2017
godquality:
For this kind hot sun. Person wear this kind atire.

Chai. Urhobo wadooo...
It is not as heavy as you think. Breeze dey enter well.

The only thing I can deduce from observation is that the mask-head can be serious burden... Especially the big ones, like that saw - fish there for example.

The Masqueraders are skilled in the art though.

1 Like

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 3:26pm On Jan 19, 2017
Sanchez01:

Kindly do well to post on the forum when the festivals are drawing near. I would love to witness them.
Okay

1 Like

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 3:27pm On Jan 19, 2017
Sanchez01:

Kindly do well to post on the forum when the festivals are drawing near. I would love to witness them.
Okay. I also advise you and others to join Urhobo groups on Facebook... You'll be easily carried along, no matter your location.

1 Like

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Sanchez01: 3:50pm On Jan 19, 2017
Opharhe:
Okay. I also advise you and others to join Urhobo groups on Facebook... You'll be easily carried along, no matter your location.
Would do so, soonest. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 3:53pm On Jan 19, 2017
fratermathy:

That family's patriarch is the king of Okere-Urhobo in Warri. He's like the leader of the entire clan and he deserves it as well. His fathers fought for the liberation of the Urhobos in Warri from ethnic suppression.
Yeah. But this man's elder brother, Benjamin Okumagba, the last Orosuen of Okere-Urhobo has been late for more than 2 years now. A new King is yet to be crowned though I heard Wilson Eboh(does the name ring a bell... #clue, DBS, Edjeba) is the regent presently.

I believe the liberator you're talking about here is Daniel Okumagba, the one who fought the Okere land case to a good conclusion until they won at the Supreme Court in 1975.

Well, Daniel Okumagba was the eldest son of Okumagba if I'm not mistaken. They are all brothers... After Daniel died, Benjamin(UPU PG who Later became Orosuen) took charge of the family and now we have Emmanuel Okumagba.

Okumagba himself, their father, started the liberation ground work though.

This is the Chronology :

Olodi > Eboh(and others) > Okumagba(and others) > Daniel, Benjamin and Emmanuel (whose picture is here) among others.

That's the family tree.

2 Likes

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by fratermathy(m): 4:26pm On Jan 19, 2017
Opharhe:
Yes. And that's why we're here.

That anomaly must be corrected.
By the way, where exactly are you from?

Me omo r'Okpara ovur'Agbon. Me nabor j'Awvraka, Agbon, Agbarho v'Orogun. Me nyor'Uvwie, Okpe vi Isoko emerha.
Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by uchelouis45(m): 4:29pm On Jan 19, 2017
Opharhe:
It's not like that. I'm not even related to them... Apart from the fact that we're all Urhobos. The Man, wisdom there provided the pictures and he's a cultural promoter also. The other man, Emmanuel Okumagba, is the head of a very Important family in not just Warri but Urhoboland. The last monarch of the Okere-Urhobo, Benjamin Okumagba (a new king is yet to be crowned) was once President-General of Urhobo cultural Apex body, the UPU and was from the Okumagba family... this man is next in like in the family Patriarchy.

If you are an Urhobo, you'll understand.
My Apologies.
Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by igbsam(m): 4:53pm On Jan 19, 2017
Urhobo wado!

1 Like

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by erico2k2(m): 6:40pm On Jan 19, 2017
ifihearam:

I bet U are not even Itsekiri as that festival had itsekiri guest . Sat there u r just looking for cheap attention well guess what you have one. Now do the needful plz.
Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 8:02pm On Jan 19, 2017
fratermathy:

Me omo r'Okpara ovur'Agbon. Me nabor j'Awvraka, Agbon, Agbarho v'Orogun. Me nyor'Uvwie, Okpe vi Isoko emerha.
Mevwe omo r'Oteri vwev'Ughelli kugbe Otokutu vw'Ughievwen.

Mi j'Ughievwen, Ughelli, Udu, Agbarho etc.

Mi ji nye emerha Isoko kugbe ephere Urhobo efa.

Wowe oboden r'Urhobo.
Do Oniovo!

1 Like

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 8:07pm On Jan 19, 2017
igbsam:
Urhobo wado!

Apologies accepted
Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Agimor(m): 9:18pm On Jan 19, 2017
Proudly Urhobo.
Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by LKO(m): 10:15pm On Jan 19, 2017
Opharhe:
Yeah. But this man's elder brother, Benjamin Okumagba, the last Orosuen of Okere-Urhobo has been late for more than 2 years now. A new King is yet to be crowned though I heard Wilson Eboh(does the name ring a bell... #clue, DBS, Edjeba) is the regent presently.

I believe the liberator you're talking about here is Daniel Okumagba, the one who fought the Okere land case to a good conclusion until they won at the Supreme Court in 1975.

Well, Daniel Okumagba was the eldest son of Okumagba if I'm not mistaken. They are all brothers... After Daniel died, Benjamin(UPU PG who Later became Orosuen) took charge of the family and now we have Emmanuel Okumagba.

Okumagba himself, their father, started the liberation ground work though.

This is the Chronology :

Olodi > Eboh(and others) > Okumagba(and others) > Daniel, Benjamin and Emmanuel (whose picture is here) among others.

That's the family tree.

The controversial enthronement of Chief Benjamin Okumagba (the then Otota) as the Oroseun of Okere Urhobo Kingdom, is one issue that would continue to generate debate to lovers of Urhobo history. That's a topic for another day. I attended his 80th birthday celebration in 2008 and his burial ceremony in 2012.

Wilson Eboh, Presenter of Music of the Masters in DBS then, his mum from Udumurogbo quarters of Uvwie.
Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Nixiepie(f): 11:46pm On Jan 19, 2017
Beautiful culture.!

Urhobo wadoo grin
Isoko wadoo

1 Like

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 6:38am On Jan 20, 2017
LKO:

The controversial enthronement of Chief Benjamin Okumagba (the then Otota) as the Oroseun of Okere Urhobo Kingdom, is one issue that would to generate debate to lovers of Urhobo history. That's a topic for another day. I attended his 80th birthday celebration in 2008 and his burial ceremony in 2012.

Wilson Eboh, Presenter of Music of the Masters in DBS then, his mum from Udumurogbo quarters of Uvwie.

Aha! You're very familiar with them.

2 Likes

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 6:50pm On Jan 20, 2017
Another one in action

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Opharhe: 6:53pm On Jan 20, 2017
Ewewu!
I Iye!

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Kirigidi(m): 11:03am On Jan 23, 2017
Kowor:
Most parents will never show the next generation things like this nor speak their language. Some fall in the "my father said am urhobo" cathegory. But can gbeseru on top english everything. Kudos to the sure parents that think it's not all about english.
Omote veruvwu, mavor!

2 Likes

Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Kowor(f): 12:20pm On Jan 23, 2017
Kirigidi:
Omote veruvwu, mavor!
My papa no teach me o.
Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Kirigidi(m): 1:30pm On Jan 23, 2017
Kowor:

My papa no teach me o.
Alright dear. The English translation of what I wrote is: " Beautiful lady, how are you." Kowor, you really need to learn Urhobo and be proud to speak it because it's your native language.The English is a borrowed language which we use just to facilitate our communication with those not from our ethnic group or people who do not understand our tongue. By the way, I'm based in Akwa Ibom. Where do you live?
Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Kowor(f): 2:26pm On Jan 23, 2017
I know that. Only my grandma who is from Asaba taught me hers. My dad prefares the english language, it's war if anyone fails it and the most annoying part is that he speaks fluently, same with his siblings but don't teach their children.
Kirigidi:

Alright dear. The English translation of what I wrote is: " Beautiful lady, how are you." Kowor, you really need to learn Urhobo and be proud to speak it because it's your native language.The English is a borrowed language which we use just to facilitate our communication with those not from our ethnic group or people who do not understand our tongue. By the way, I'm based in Akwa Ibom. Where do you live?
Am in Lagos.
Re: Okere-urhobo Festival Of Unity, Warri 2017. by Kirigidi(m): 6:37pm On Jan 23, 2017
Kowor:
I know that. Only my grandma who is from Asaba taught me hers. My dad prefares the english language, it's war if anyone fails it and the most annoying part is that he speaks fluently, same with his siblings but don't teach their children. Am in Lagos.
I kindly suggest u look for Urhobo socio-cultural associations/ clubs within Lagos that promote Urhobo language as a medium of communication in their meetings, and by so doing you will learn it fast. Where I work, I only know of two other Urhobo persons and one Isoko guy, and whenever we meet we use the Urhobo language for conversation. Would like to get in touch with you off Nairaland Forum. I will appreciate it if you can send me your contacts [facebook/ phone number]? Here is my e-mail address: adiovoro@yahoo.com. Expecting to hear from you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chuogo Okoye Slumps And Dies (Eze Ndigbo Of Agege, Lagos) / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society / Ìkíní - Greetings In Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.