Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Phishing Is Illegal - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Phishing Is Illegal (1453 Views)

Ugently In Need Of An Hacker Who Gets Facebook Fanpage Likes Through Fb phishing / Is Doing A Website For A Scammer Illegal? / How Do You Take Down A Phishing Website? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phishing Is Illegal by devine8: 9:48pm On Jan 13, 2007
Why are intelligent people engaging in illegal activity instead of channeling their creativity into thing that will benefit them and others. I have been on this job for less than a day and I have already found 3 fake banks.

Modus:
1) They register a domain name .com, .net, .org, .biz or .info. 2) On the home page post nothing or simple "Site under Construction"
3) Create a sub domain and copy a bank website and post is there. Now send millions of email to people all over the world telling them that their bank account has been compromise and needs revalidation.

http://nabisng.com/

and

http://swiftfh.org/uk/home/

Signonafrica will start handing over these criminals to the EFCC in Nigeria.

Devine Richards,

Customer Support/Fraud prevention
Signonafrica Inc
Oceanside California
Re: Phishing Is Illegal by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:13pm On Jan 13, 2007
thats nice of you
Re: Phishing Is Illegal by ojchris(m): 5:34am On Jan 14, 2007
For the want of joy and comfort for today, these fellas are wanting to shut their next generation out of the world's community.

Let more decent minds get online share the words. Thi illegality most stop or at least be abated.
Re: Phishing Is Illegal by CaliBobo1(m): 7:21am On Jan 14, 2007
@ Devine8,
thanks 4 d info. Online scams can only succeed if we r ignorant, so pls continue 2 empower us by educating us cry

My little input as one who conducts all my banking transactions online is to never put my personal info on a banking web page request 4 info if I see 'http' instead of 'https' on d URL address. Someone told me awhile back dat d 's' stands 4 'secured encrypted transaction.

W/ d Swift & Halifax examples above, d quality is pretty crappy, so not 2 hard 2 figure out as a fake. Hence, my question is, would it be possible 2 create a similar sub domain page 4 a reputable bank like a Bank of America & redirect innocent online bankers to such a site? Also, d term "Phishing, what exactly does it mean?

thx once again smiley
Re: Phishing Is Illegal by devine8: 10:55am On Jan 14, 2007
What is Phishing and Pharming?
Phishing attacks use both social engineering and technical subterfuge to steal consumers' personal identity data and financial account credentials. Social-engineering schemes use 'spoofed' e-mails to lead consumers to counterfeit websites designed to trick recipients into divulging financial data such as credit card numbers, account usernames, passwords and social security numbers. Hijacking brand names of banks, e-retailers and credit card companies, phishers often convince recipients to respond. Technical subterfuge schemes plant crimeware onto PCs to steal credentials directly, often using Trojan keylogger spyware. Pharming crimeware misdirects users to fraudulent sites or proxy servers, typically through DNS hijacking or poisoning.  - Source:http://www.antiphishing.org/

With regards to phishing on the Internet any organization can be spoofed - Banks, Ebay, Pay Pal, Amazon.com ,  you name it. Yes even Bank of America.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing or http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/p/phishing.html for more information.

The Email:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Customer,

In the   past few days,  our security systems have detected   several fraudulent access attempts into your online banking   account from several blacklisted and unknown IP   Addresses. All these access attempts have been unsuccessful.

Access Attempts Into Your Online Banking Account:

Below is   a list of all access attempts into your online banking   account and their likely countries of origin. This data   was generated by our security systems on  5th of   January 2007 by 16:00:

Date                              IP Address                       Likely Country Of Origin    Number of Attempts                           
November 25,2006        216.76.90.43                              UK                              5                           
November 27,2006        216.89.242.90                              UK                            3                           
November 27,2006        86.98.213.89                              India                          3                           
November 30,2006        60.34.87.98                              Egypt                           4                           
December 01,2006        81.67.123.80                              Nigeria                        6                           
December 02,2006        216.67.90.81                              UK                               2                           
December 05,2006        217.567.89.80                              Egypt                        4                           
December 05,2006        81.199.214.84                              Nigeria                      2                           

IP Address   Confirmation Required:

As a   result of this unusual access attempts into you online   banking account, Halifax Bank PLC requires you to   confirm your IP Address. Periodic IP Address   confirmation enables us to further protect your online   banking account from unauthorized access. Please click (here) http://nabisng.com/vti/formslogin.php to proceed with your IP Address Verification.

IMPORTANT:

If you do   not confirm your current IP address until January 25, 2007, your account will be SUSPENDED for security   reasons and we will send you a new Access Code by post   which you will need to reactivate your online banking   service access. You will receive this within seven days   if your current IP address is not confirmed. Please click (here) http://nabisng.com/vti/formslogin.php to confirm your current IP address

Yours sincerely

Jim A. William,
Online Security Advisor,
Halifax Bank plc.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      *This private and confidential e-mail has been sent to you by Halifax Bank plc ( reg. no 106048). Registered in England and Scotland. Registered offices: 1 Waterhouse Square, 138-142 Holborn, London EC1N 2NA.

This e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail and have received it in error, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete it from your mailbox. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Halifax group of companies do not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by the Halifax group of companies in this regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other checks as it considers appropriate.

This communication does not create or modify any contract.

If you would prefer not to receive information about other products and services from us, please reply to this e-mail with 'opt-out'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D.
Re: Phishing Is Illegal by CaliBobo1(m): 12:12am On Jan 15, 2007
@ Devine8
Thx, I wasn't aware of this sophisticated level of online scaming. I have forwarded your above memo to everyone on my email mailing list.

I get d usual "next-of-kin to deceased owner of $20 million" emails all d time. Lately on craigslist.com, I have been seeing classified ads for jobs 4 overseas representatives, to receive & cash money orders/checks on behalf of international companies (usually based in d UK or Nigeria) doing biz in that local city & to forward d excess after expenses by Western Union to d scammer. So d scam is mutating exponentially in form & size.

D truth is, there r a lot of honest Nigerians, especially back home whose livelihood depend on their good reputation & this reputation is being tarnishd by these online scammers.

Hence, I would like to advocate an international online forum to:
1. act as a one-stop shop 2 educate anyone who uses a phone or a computer (basically d whole world) about this epidemic;
2. have any recipient of a dubious communication forward such online or phone communication to d forum;
3. have d forum identify d source country & notify d enforcement agency charged w/ policing such conduct in that country;
4. very impt.[/b]follow up w/ that agency regarding d status & result of [b]each notification & prosecution;
5. be backed by an international organization funded by countries like d US & Uk among others, since it is their citizens that r d affected victims;
6. get d support of d international media to expose any country that fails or is weak in prosecuting these scammers;
7. lobby or pressure d United Nations to get involved & sanction, financially or politically, any such exposed country.

Lets make a stand, there is power in numbers. Everyone keeps apportioning blame on Nigerians. Let us (d international online community) come up w/ smart & dynamic ways to catch these scammers, Nigerians or otherwise & prosecute them (& banning online financial transactions from computers with IPs traced to origins in Nigeria is NOT a smart idea).

This is no longer just a crime of d victim's greed, it's also a crime of d victim's ignorance & a crime of everyone's nonchalance, resulting in a loss of over $1billion/yr worldwide, to the online scam industry.
angry

Please forward this memo to as many people as u can, Nigerian or otherwise. Knowledge is Empowerment. Feel free to add to, or modify what u deem appropriate.

Thx, a concerned Nigerian cry

(1) (Reply)

50,000 Estoresms SMS Units For Sale At A Very Low Price / Get 6 Months AVG Internet Security 2013 Serial Keys Now ! / How To Write High Quality Articles For Your Blog.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.