Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,231 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. (14765 Views)

Uber Sacks 3,500 Employees Via A Zoom Call / Coronavirus: British Airways To Sack 12,000 Employees / How Much Does Shoprite Pay Its Employees? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by tk4rd: 12:47pm On Jan 19, 2017
Real Life Story.....®

Ezra and Thomas joined a company together a few months after their graduation from university.

After a few years of work, their Manager promoted Ezra to a position of Senior Sales Manager, but Thomas remained in his entry level Junior Sales Officer position. Thomas developed a sense of jealousy and disgruntlement, but continued working anyway.

One day Thomas felt that he could not work with Ezra anymore. He wrote his resignation letter, but before he submitted it to the Manager, he complained that Management did not value hard working staff, but only promoted only the favoured!

The Manager knew that Ezra worked very hard for the years he had spent at the company; even harder than Thomas and therefore he deserved the promotion. So in order to help Thomas to realize this, the Manager gave Thomas a task.

“Go and find out if anyone is selling water melons in town?”

Thomas returned and said, "yes there is someone!"

The Manager asked, "how much per kg?" Thomas drove back to town to ask and then returned to inform the Manager; "they are R13.50 per kg!"

The Manager told Thomas, "I will give Ezra the same task that I gave you. Please pay close attention to his response!"

So the Manager said to Ezra, in the presence of Thomas; “Go and find out if anyone is selling water melons in town?”

Ezra went to find out and on his return he said:
"Manager, there is only one person selling water melons in the whole town. The cost is R49.00 each water melon and R32,50 for a half melon. He sells them at R13.50 per kg when sliced. He has in his stock 93 melons, each one weighing about 7kg. He has a farm and can supply us with melons for the next 4 months at a rate of 102 melons per day at R27.00 per melon; this includes delivery.
The melons appear fresh and red with good quality, and they taste better than the ones we sold last year.
He has his own slicing machine and is willing to slice for us free of charge.
We need to strike a deal with him before 10am tomorrow and we will be sure of beating last year's profits in melons by R223 000.00. This will contribute positively to our overall performance as it will add a minimum of 3.78% to our current overall sales target.
I have put this information down in writing and is available on spreadsheet. Please let me know if you need it as I can send it to you in fifteen minutes."

Thomas was very impressed and realized the difference between himself and Ezra. He decided not to resign but to learn from Ezra.

As we begin this fresh year, let this story help us keep in mind the importance of going an extra mile in all our endeavors.

You won't be rewarded for doing what you're meant to do, you only get a salary for that! You're only ​rewarded​ for going an extra mile; performing beyond expectations.

To be successful in life you must be observant, proactive and willing to do more, think more, a more holistic perspective and go beyond the call of duty.

May you be blessed with a better perspective to your work this year.

*Greater life needs this mentality of going an extra mile, As Husband's, mothers, children; Let's go an extra mile in all our endeavour..

Let us always have this in our minds...
The reason why employers do not workers is that workers do only what they are told to do..
They don't put in their own initiatives.. Investors put in whatever it takes wherever they are, even if they find themselves as employees, or an entrepreneurs or self-employed..
They go extra miles to get things "Better done"..
That is why employers love investors.

Have a blessed day.

120 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by veekid(m): 7:03am On Jan 20, 2017

informative

1 Like

Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 20, 2017
a
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by thesis(m): 7:04am On Jan 20, 2017
Great piece
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by greatwhite(m): 7:05am On Jan 20, 2017
Interesting
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by youngice(m): 7:08am On Jan 20, 2017
If Ezra was Nigerian he for done add extra money as bribe

5 Likes

Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Histrings08(m): 7:08am On Jan 20, 2017
Thank you @op
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Benjom(m): 7:09am On Jan 20, 2017
Great lesson to learn indeed. Thanks OP
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by habex005(m): 7:10am On Jan 20, 2017
Educative
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by TGM2015: 7:10am On Jan 20, 2017
tk4rd:

Let us always have this in our minds...
The reason why employers do not [promote] workers is that workers do only what they are told to do..
They don't put in their own initiatives..
They [don't] go extra miles to get things "Better done"..
No employers will want to let go of Ezra, they will give everything to retain him even after retirement he will be given contract as Consultants.
Nice one.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 20, 2017
Wow! educative, really learnt a lot from this post.

1 Like

Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by SirHouloo(m): 7:10am On Jan 20, 2017
Kai... So by going outside, he don already do those calculations and made a spreadsheet.... OP can lie.....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by talkeverytime: 7:14am On Jan 20, 2017
Hmm .. I've read it before, very inspiring.

Also Read here; 5 Things to do to ensure your success in 2017 http://talkeverytime..co.id/2017/01/5-things-to-do-to-ensure-your-success.html
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by bidemirahmon: 7:17am On Jan 20, 2017
Nice write up to learn from
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by BJAYADEMOLA(m): 7:18am On Jan 20, 2017
Good write up... Educative
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by SirKriz(m): 7:18am On Jan 20, 2017
Weh done Sir!

7 Likes

Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by SIRKAY98(m): 7:18am On Jan 20, 2017
B4 i start apologies for Bad English and Grammtical errors u may Encounter.

INDEED THIS WAS WHAT MADE ME WHAT I AM TODAY ALL I HV TODAY WAS BECAUSE MY BOSS CHALLENGED ME NOT TO ALWAYS SEE THINGS AS IMPOSSIBLE

I WORK FOR 2 BOSSES FAR BACK 2011/2012
ONE WAS A BARRISTER AND THE OTHER A BUSINESS CONSULTANT
THEY R BOTH BROTHERS
AT FIRST I LIKED ONE THAN THE OTHER because THAT ONE DOES ALL THINGS BY HIM SELF AND GIVES ME LITTLE TASK TO DO.BUT ANYTIME THE LAWYER COMES IN TO THE OFFICE YOU WILL HEAR KAYODE......I'LL SAY SIR OYA COME AND POLISH THIS SHOE

TRUST ME, NOT THAT I'M LIEING I WILL COME BACK AND SAY SIR THEIR R NO SHOE POLISHER IN THE WHOLE OF ANTHONY VILLAGE SIR...HE WILL SAY OK NO WAHALA.I DROP D SHOE

WHEN D YOUNGER BROTHER COMES D BUSINESS CONSULTANT HE WILL SAY KAYODE GO AND BRING ALL D LOADS IN D BACK OF D CAR I WILL SAY OK SIR GET ALL THEM

THINGS GO LIKE THIS FOR LIKE 2YRS AND ME AND D BARRISTER R NOT IN GOOD TERMS IN SHORT HE DOESNT WANT TO SEE ME ANYMORE
BUT ME AND D BROTHER KEEP WORKING TOGETHER

THEN ON THIS FAITHFULL DAY
THEY R BOTH EMBARKING ON A TRIP TO D UNITED KINGDOM

EVERYTHING WAS SET ONLY FOR THEM TO MOVE TO THE AIRPORT
THEN D BARRISTER CALLED ME AND SAID KAYODE GO AND LOOK FOR AC REPAIRER LET THEM COME AND FIX THIS AC UNIT
I WENT BUT RETURNED VOID .I CANNOT FIND ANY.

THEN HE BROKE LOOSE FROM IS SILENCE!
THERE IS NOTHING I WLL SEND YOU THAT YOU WILL EVER COME WITH A POSITIVE RESULT!
He nod and i felt a drop of water on is face! Haha my Boss weeps!
I could not bear it again.they left for d UK
But i could not eat nor sleep the word kept Ringing to my ears!

Later on this Words started making me see imposibilities as posibilities i started doing things that r not possible .
To cut d Long Story Short...

I got an insight that d Salary i was earning cannot fed me and my newly wedded spouse so i tendered my resignation letter and left.
Behold today with seeing imposible things as possible

Now i have 2cars!My own House!!Beatifull wife and Children!!! Me and my Bosses r now pals .i go to them they come to me!.
Glory b to God. Halleluyah.!!!

8 Likes

Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by saxwizard(m): 7:18am On Jan 20, 2017
hmmm

excerpt from

RULE OF WORK RICHARD TEMPLAR

1 Like

Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Enyimbamercedes: 7:22am On Jan 20, 2017
Ezra na aproko jare
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by lekanafo: 7:22am On Jan 20, 2017
highly interesting piece,at least for a very long time that I have seen here,devoid of divisive or political ranting
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Nobody: 7:23am On Jan 20, 2017
Nice article.
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by nabegibeg: 7:27am On Jan 20, 2017
Insightful
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Mayflowa(m): 7:28am On Jan 20, 2017
This calls for sober reflection and self-examination
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Abduljohn(m): 7:29am On Jan 20, 2017
Only God bestow wisdom. This is wisdom God assist me with wisdom that Will make me exceptional. Amen

1 Like

Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by DivneFavour(m): 7:31am On Jan 20, 2017
Just what I needed this morning.
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Roon9(m): 7:31am On Jan 20, 2017
Inspiring post! But isn't bro Ezra a little more like those we tag as over sabi? grin

3 Likes

Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by midetinz(m): 7:32am On Jan 20, 2017
O.P can lie sha! Which nonsense TRUE life story? Something from a book from RICHARD TEMPLAR which has been used since 2006 that I joined sales job. Abegi! Purely logic training text.
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Kakamorufu(m): 7:37am On Jan 20, 2017
this is a great writeup
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Genea(f): 7:39am On Jan 20, 2017
Woooow best write up ever

Equating it with sch exams, it's not like we all don't know the answer, the fact is most of us just write a two sentence answer, summarizing it while someone else is giving a detailed account on the answer and applying it to the economy and other aspect of the course....

Thank you op
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by information1: 7:40am On Jan 20, 2017
Re: Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers. by Greedgod: 7:48am On Jan 20, 2017
This story na story . How many itks' go far in life .

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 8 Skills You Need To Land Your Dream Job / Nigerian Army Shocks Court, Says Officers Sacked For Not ‘renewing Appointments’ / Employee Leave Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.