Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

Now I Think The NYSC Scheme Should NOT Be Scrapped - Kikiotolu - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Now I Think The NYSC Scheme Should NOT Be Scrapped - Kikiotolu (855 Views)

EFCC Begins Manhunt For Unqualified Graduates Undergoing NYSC Scheme / Should NYSC Be Scrapped, See The Results Of A Twitter Poll. / 5 Reasons Why NYSC Should Not Be Scrapped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Now I Think The NYSC Scheme Should NOT Be Scrapped - Kikiotolu by dammy13(m): 8:37am On Jan 20, 2017
I have never been a fan of the NYSC scheme and always saw it as a waste of time. Though as I write this article my view about the scheme is a more of a positive one.

Before I go into why I think the NYSC scheme should not be scrapped, let me briefly tell you why I always saw it as a waste of time.

After 4+x years in Nigerian tertiary institutions (let's exclude private universities) you are going to wait for months before you get mobilized for the Youth corps, then have to spend 12 months of your life receiving stipends and not improving in any way.

That was how I felt, and am sure that's how most people feel about the NYSC, but I must tell you that such notion is wrong. Right now I feel the NYSC is the best for our country, if we truly want to remain as a nation. Here are my points.

The NYSC is the best way to build the spirit of Nationalism and make us come to terms that we are Nigerians and not just Yoruba's, Igbo's and Hausa's. You are going to agree with me that if not for the NYSC most of us might not cross the borders of our state of origin. We are only going to have a faint idea of other Nigerian parts of the country, either via social media, the news, and maps. But hey, a real life experience is not a bad idea.

This morning when I was surfing the web, Facebook groups and twitter to be precise, I saw numerous PCM's talk about states they might have had no reason to visit. It was pleasant to see that Hausa young man ask about Osun, the direction and who would join him on the trip from Sokoto. I was excited to see a lady from Warri talk about her posting to Ondo. I felt refreshed and felt like, at least this people are going to have a taste of the beautiful culture of the west.

From the West many have been posted to the Northern region, even the troubled parts. I know it might send a chill down your spine and leave you shocked, but I wish you well and hope you have the best of experience there. I always heard about Borno and Adamawa for good before Boko Haram and today I had the chance to hear note good about the region.

I was talking with an entrepreneur here in Ekiti, he had never been to Ekiti state before the NYSC scheme but today has lots of assets accross the state. Not everyone is going to end like him though, but there are still loads of positives from the scheme.

I don't know of any other program that can bring Nigerians together as Nigerians. And that is just what we need to build the spirit of nationalisms

Its a time waster - I am now a strong critic of that notion. No time is wasted else you want to waste it. You can invest your time during the NYSC to develop either yourself or the community you reside in. There is a landmark in my hometown (Oye Ekiti) it was made by the members of that time, their names remain there till now and one way or the other they have contributed to that community.

¬The pay is not substantial - That is true, I agree on that and believe the government can do better on that. Though with the current economic situation only a miracle can change that for now. I won't want you as a prospective Corp Member of 2016 Batch B Stream II or another batch currently in your service year or going to receive the clarion call soon to focus on the financial gains of the NYSC. I don't want you to see it as a waste of time and wish it comes to an end soon like an horrible dream. I don't want you to be negative about the NYSC.

The intention is good and sure to be fun. Your mentality towards things matters a lot. So please stay positive and you are going to get the best out of the scheme.

... Written by Ayeni Tolulope

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/01/now-i-think-nysc-scheme-should-not-be.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique

1 Like

Re: Now I Think The NYSC Scheme Should NOT Be Scrapped - Kikiotolu by Nobody: 8:45am On Jan 20, 2017
your opinion though
Re: Now I Think The NYSC Scheme Should NOT Be Scrapped - Kikiotolu by biosepeter1(m): 11:37am On Jan 20, 2017
but do u no corpers have not been paid their Dec money.. just asking oo #scrapnysc

(1) (Reply)

2017 Batch ‘a’ Nysc Online Registration / Nigerian Corpers Of Nowadays, How The Ladies Are / NYSC 2019 BATCH C Orientation Camp Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.