Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,903 members, 7,817,677 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

The Cost Of Hosting A Standard School Website. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / The Cost Of Hosting A Standard School Website. (1809 Views)

Whats The Cost Of Hosting/maintaining An App After Creating It. / Hosting A Website / How Can I Create A School Website. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Cost Of Hosting A Standard School Website. by onedayatime(m): 9:39am On Jan 20, 2017
this is the first online big project that I created. the school site includes an e-portal etc.
Now, a school is interested to have it, like how much should I charge them having it at the back of my mind that I created the desktop version for the school.
Re: The Cost Of Hosting A Standard School Website. by stanogb(m): 9:38pm On Jan 21, 2017
I need the information too.
Re: The Cost Of Hosting A Standard School Website. by talk2hb1(m): 9:55pm On Jan 21, 2017
Demand and Supply!
Re: The Cost Of Hosting A Standard School Website. by onedayatime(m): 12:07pm On Jan 22, 2017
talk2hb1:
Demand and Supply!
meanning
Re: The Cost Of Hosting A Standard School Website. by asalimpo(m): 4:00pm On Jan 22, 2017
how much did you charge them for the desktop version!
Re: The Cost Of Hosting A Standard School Website. by onedayatime(m): 4:28pm On Jan 22, 2017
asalimpo:
how much did you charge them for the desktop version!
65, 000
Re: The Cost Of Hosting A Standard School Website. by asalimpo(m): 6:42pm On Jan 22, 2017
this is a rough estimate of how i compute pricing- it may work for you.

how much time it takes to complete the project = t.
your hourly rate = h
other costs (e.g server hosting etc) = o

your charge = t*h+o.

It may lead to a very high figure , but, that is the realistic charge or in other words, the value of what you are providing the client. period.
Your hourly rate should factor in overheads like = electricity, phone call etc.
so say you charge , N1000k/hr. and the work will take you 100hrs = the charge will be N100k
server hosting etc external charges = add that.

For desktop software or other software that could be distributed to many clients, the pricing model will be the same,but slightly more complicated. But the basics is billable hours * (times) hourly rate+ external expenses.
e.g say, you want to make N10million/yr from your desktop/distributable software. And you expect only 10 people out of 10000 your approach to buy it, then the price of the app will be 10m/expected market = N1m/per person.
The 1m would have factored in the marketing cost of distributing to all the 10 000 people and leave you with profit.
Anyway, this is just a model. See an accountant to help you construct something better. Or just use your head or ask around and know what others are charging. But in the case of confusion - use billable hours.
Re: The Cost Of Hosting A Standard School Website. by onedayatime(m): 8:57pm On Jan 22, 2017
asalimpo:
this is a rough estimate of how i compute pricing- it may work for you.

how much time it takes to complete the project = t.
your hourly rate = h
other costs (e.g server hosting etc) = o

your charge = t*h+o.

It may lead to a very high figure , but, that is the realistic charge or in other words, the value of what you are providing the client. period.
Your hourly rate should factor in overheads like = electricity, phone call etc.
so say you charge , N1000k/hr. and the work will take you 100hrs = the charge will be N100k
server hosting etc external charges = add that.

For desktop software or other software that could be distributed to many clients, the pricing model will be the same,but slightly more complicated. But the basics is billable hours * (times) hourly rate+ external expenses.
e.g say, you want to make N10million/yr from your desktop/distributable software. And you expect only 10 people out of 10000 your approach to buy it, then the price of the app will be 10m/expected market = N1m/per person.
The 1m would have factored in the marketing cost of distributing to all the 10 000 people and leave you with profit.
Anyway, this is just a model. See an accountant to help you construct something better. Or just use your head or ask around and know what others are charging. But in the case of confusion - use billable hours.

ooh thanks alot for the info
Re: The Cost Of Hosting A Standard School Website. by talk2hb1(m): 9:52am On Jan 23, 2017
Nowadays nobody sells software outrightly, use the concept of SAAS software as a service.
You provide everything for them infrastructure, software, support, etc and charge them basd on net cost+profit= price
Consider that support, training, meeting are costs in itself. All they need do is enjoy using the software

(1) (Reply)

Which Programming Language Is Rain Gold .Org Built On? / Apply For IT Jobs In The USA (remote Only) / My Experience Trying To Buy Dell Latitude E5450 Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.