Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,245 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Grace Guarantees Eternal Security - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Grace Guarantees Eternal Security (598 Views)

There Is No Eternal Security. It Is Conditional - Pastor Kumuyi / The Top 12 Promises On Eternal Security - Paul Ellis / Eternal Security : A Believer's Assurance Of Salvation - Ralph Yankee Arnold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Grace Guarantees Eternal Security by plainbibletruth: 3:17pm On Jan 20, 2017
GRACE GUARANTEES ETERNAL SECURITY

What Is Grace (1)
Eternal Security has been a hotly debated issue in Christianity. Some claim that the Christian can lose his salvation. Others, on the other, hand believe the Christian cannot.

To have a full understanding of this topic there is the need to first grasp the meaning of the popular definition of GRACE i.e. “Unmerited favour”. Unmerited favour means an expression of kindness done to someone who does not qualify for it or deserve it. The expression of kindness is not done because of any MERIT or WORTH on the part of the recipient. If there is even a very small degree of merit on the part of the recipient that warranted the expression of kindness, then it can no longer be considered UNMERITTED, but would be a reward or payment! In other words, it would be deserved; it would be something earned!

Illustration
Imagine a student who sat for an admission exam where the pass mark for admission into the course of his choice is 300. Let’s say that the student scored 310 and was admitted, that would not be a favour done to him. However, if on the other hand the student scored 150 and the admission officer, in spite of knowing that the student did not meet the cut off mark, and without any coercion, still chose to admit him that would be an UNMERITED FAVOUR! That would be grace extended to one who is undeserving. Unearned!

Until the Christian has a full grasp of the meaning of GRACE and accepts it as the word of God clearly teaches it, progress in his spiritual life will be difficult if not impossible.

A Biblical Teaching On Grace
A story in the Bible which should clear any doubt as to grace being unmerited favour is that found in Luke 10: 30 – 35. It is popularly referred to as THE PARABLE OF THE GOOD SAMARITAN:
“ ….. A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among robbers, and they stripped him and beat him, and went away leaving him half dead. And by chance a priest was going down on that road, and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. Likewise a Levite also, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion, and came to him and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him. On the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said; ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I return I will repay you’”

A number of things come out of this narrative:
- The man was in a helpless situation.
- The Samaritan – a total stranger – came to his rescue.
- The Samaritan intervened not because he was reciprocating a past good act the man had done to him.
- The Samaritan did not even consider a future compensation he might get from the man. [Remember, the story said he was on a journey and in all likelihood their paths may never cross again].
- The credit belonged entirely to the Samaritan; the man contributed absolutely NOTHING to the grace he received.
- Once the gracious act was performed, it became irreversible – even if the man on recovery queried the Samaritan or abused him, the act done would still be irrevocable.

Jesus was teaching here (amongst other things) the total inability of anyone – apart from mercy (v.37) – to deserve eternal life; answering the question that led to this whole narrative in the first place.

This is how God loves us. Not on the basis of our ‘goodness’ or a perceived future good standing we would maintain. Indeed what can we do for God, either now in time or in eternity? Just as the man did nothing to deserve all that was done for him neither can we do anything to earn or contribute to getting eternal life. It is always a GIFT expression from God.

“But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy ……. So that having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life” Titus 3: 4 – 7

2 Likes

Re: Grace Guarantees Eternal Security by plainbibletruth: 8:53am On Apr 08, 2017
GRACE GUARANTEES ETERNAL SECURITY
What Is Grace (2)

We give more time explaining the meaning of the word ‘GRACE’ because the understanding of it will make for clarity in its usage and ultimately its application.

A definition of the word ‘grace’ given by The Lexical Aid to the New Testament is as follows:

“A favour done without expectation of return; absolute freeness of the loving kindness of God to man finding its only motive in the bounty and freeheartedness of the Giver; unearned and unmerited favour”

From this definition what should immediately be clear is the emphasis on the character of the giver. The one extending the favour is doing it from the virtue he possesses; his good intention in reaching out to another freely WITHOUT ANY STRINGS ATTACHED. His action in extending favour is not because he is reciprocating something the beneficiary has done nor is it because he expects or perceives that the recipient will in future extend some benefit to him or reciprocate him for his kindness.

Expecting something in return for a favour or for something done is common with men, but thinking that God would think the same way as a man does would be blasphemous.

“God is not a man, that he should lie, nor the son of man, that he should repent” (Numbers 23:19).

If God says something or does something he stands by what he has said or done. Because many Christians fail to understand that God’s favours are done without expectation of return they miss out in truly understanding grace. Using human nature to look at God, they find it difficult to believe that God derives his pleasure ONLY from what he does for man and not from what man can do for him.

Let’s look a little more closely at the definition presented above and see how it applies to God.

The first part states:
“A favour done without expectation of return ….”

Another story in the life of Christ illustrates this. In Luke 17:12 – 18 we read:

“As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!” When he saw them, he said, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed. One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him – and he was a Samaritan. Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?”

To show that Jesus’ action in healing all 10 lepers was not based on an expectation of return from them, there is no record that Christ caused the leprosy to return to those who did not come back to show gratitude. It that had happened then their healing would not be considered a gracious act of mercy but an anticipated “Thank you”. Their attitude which he knew well in advance did not stop him from healing them in the first place.

From the 2 stories we’ve looked at so far – the story of the Good Samaritan and the healing of the 10 lepers, it is clear that the beneficiaries DID NOTHING to add to the gracious acts in order to make the acts complete. It is also clear that the favours were done without the givers doing so because they expected a future reciprocation; a future return of the favour in kind or in value.

God saves man, not because of any good deed man has done nor is it because he (God) hopes or expects man to continue to maintain a certain measure of ‘goodness’ or righteousness to be able to sustain or retain what God has already chosen to do. God’s saving of man is “ a favour done without expectation of return”.

“But when the kindness and love of God our Saviour appeared,
he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done,
but because of his mercy ……. So that having been justified by his grace,
we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life”
Titus 3: 4 – 7

1 Like

Re: Grace Guarantees Eternal Security by An2elect2(f): 12:50pm On Apr 12, 2017
All glory to God!!!
Re: Grace Guarantees Eternal Security by plainbibletruth: 8:05am On Jul 13, 2017
Hymns Teaching God’s Guarantee Of Eternal Security (1)

Hymns that have doctrinal basis in the word of God faithfully teach the mind of God on various issues. Through long centuries hymns have served, not only to encourage and challenge the believer but also to give him comfort and assurance of his position in Christ.
When sung, not just as an emotion experience but with attention to the message in them, hymns can turn out to be a source of spiritual edification for the Christian.

One of the hymns that recognizes that our hope for eternal life depends COMPLETELY on Jesus’ life and work on our behalf, and not on any work on our part that ADDS TO Christ’s work is the hymn “MY HOPE IS BUILT ON NOTHING LESS” or using the original title: “THE SOLID ROCK”. This hymn was written by Edward Mote (1797 – 1874).

The lyrics go as follows:
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

Refrain:
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

The first stanza comes out straight and sharp that our hope – our guarantee – of eternal life rests on NOTHING LESS than impeccable life and victorious work of Jesus on our behalf. No matter how SWEET any other ‘frame’ may seem, we dare not trust in it.
The refrain or chorus makes a declaration that every believer ought to make – Christ ALONE is the solid ground; ALL OTHER GROUND is SINKING SAND.

The second and third stanzas tell us that even when things are unclear and perhaps difficult (when our faith is shaken or challenged and we are tested in various ways by pressures of life) Christ’s UNCHANGING words and promises give us the stability we need to remain steady and keep going on.

In the fourth and final stanza we are confronted with the fact that our ultimate standing rests only on our being FOUND IN CHRIST and DRESSED IN HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS ALONE.

The straightforward message projected by this hymn is simple: Christ’s righteousness (attained by FAITH ALONE in him) is the only requirement for salvation.

“But when the kindness and love of God our Saviour appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy ……. So that having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life” Titus 3: 4 – 7
Re: Grace Guarantees Eternal Security by plainbibletruth: 7:27am On Aug 13, 2017
Salvation is ENTIRELY God's work.
Man adds NOTHING to it.

Ephesians 2:8 "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES, it is the GIFT of God."
Titus 3:5 "He saved us, not on the basis of DEEDS which we have done in righteousness, but according to HIS MERCY"

Man was still in sin when God provided salvation.
Romans 5:8 "While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us"

The only thing man DOES to be saved is a NON-MERITORIOUS expression of faith.
Ephesians 2:9 "not as a result of works, so that no one may boast"
Acts 16:31 "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved"
JOHN 1:12, JOHN 3:16

Since God DOES NOT require man's righteousness BEFORE he saves him, he (God) requires no righteousness of man to keep him IN CHRIST; God's righteousness is what keeps the man saved because salvation is ENTIRELY God's work.
1 Corinthians 1:30 "But by HIS DOING you are in Christ Jesus. ..."

Therefore it is God's GRACE that guarantees the believer 's eternal security.
Re: Grace Guarantees Eternal Security by Nobody: 8:32am On Aug 13, 2017
pls I need someone to explained "follow peace with all men and holiness without which no man shall see the Lord " for me in line with this post
Re: Grace Guarantees Eternal Security by plainbibletruth: 10:29am On Oct 25, 2017
Ferisidowu:
pls I need someone to explained "follow peace with all men and holiness without which no man shall see the Lord " for me in line with this post
Jesus summarized all the "Law and prophets" in love for God and love for others.

following peace with all men stems from our love for them. Love for God will engender holy living.

True love for God results in coming to salvation with the result of an acquired holiness from God which will qualify such a person to be with God forever.
Re: Grace Guarantees Eternal Security by plainbibletruth: 10:39am On Oct 25, 2017
Hymns Teaching God’s Guarantee Of Eternal Security (2)

Hymns with doctrinal content aid grace orientation. Such hymns orient the Christian to God’s way of thinking and operation – GRACE: An expression of kindness that is done NOT because of any MERIT or WORTH on the part of the recipient but ONLY as a result of the freeheartedness of God.

Grace DOES NOT depend upon us, but upon God. In other words, no Christian can WORK FOR grace, he can only adjust or respond to grace. The focus in grace is always God because of his character not on what man is and what he can do.

Another hymn that acknowledges grace and equally recognizes that our hope for eternal life depends COMPLETELY on Jesus’ life and work on our behalf, and not on any work on our part that ADDS TO Christ’s work is the hymn “ROCK OF AGES
This hymn was written by Rev. Augustus M. Toplady (1740 – 1778).

The lyrics go as follows:
1. Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee;
let the water and the blood,
from thy wounded side which flowed,
be of sin the double cure;
save from wrath and make me pure.

2. Not the labours of my hands
can fulfill thy law's commands;
could my zeal no respite know,
could my tears forever flow,
all for sin could not atone;
thou must save, and thou alone.

3. Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to the cross I cling;
naked, come to thee for dress;
helpless, look to thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly;
wash me, Saviour, or I die.

4. While I draw this fleeting breath,
when mine eyes shall close in death,
when I soar to worlds unknown,
see thee on thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee.

The first verse uses a picture of “Rock”, usually seen as a strong fortification that secures against both natural (e.g. storms) and human (enemies) attacks. Only God, the ‘Rock’ that has been from ages past, provides the secured safety of eternal salvation. In hiding one’s self in him alone can any person be eternally secured. The closing portion of this first verse shows where the emphasis lies – being saved from sin and the wrath of God which came as a result of sin is accomplished by Christ’s work alone and by nothing else. It is only Christ’s work that cures from sin and makes pure. That wrath of God continues on those who refuse to believe on Jesus Christ (Jn. 3:36).

The second verse rejects any works-based theology or emotional expressions for acceptance by God. Simply put: we cannot earn salvation by means of works or with the show of emotion no matter how strongly it is expressed. Nothing any man can do will be able to fulfill all the righteous requirements of God – NOTHING! Neither works nor emotions can resolve the sin problem. Only God alone can save.

The third verse goes on to emphasize the fact that there is nothing we can present in our human power to God that amounts to anything. Like the Scripture says; all our righteousness amounts to filthy rags before God. Only God can clothe us in his righteousness; we can’t attain it in the energy of the flesh. Only God’s grace – unmerited favour – can provide us help. Recognizing that we are ‘foul’ (morally bad, detestable, wretched), stained by sin, it is only in coming to the Saviour that we can be washed or else we ‘die’ (eternal separation from God).

In the fourth and closing verse Toplady concludes by showing that in the face of the certain coming perfect justice and judgement of God to which we shall all appear – 2 Cor. 5:10, it is only in God’s expression of mercy (grace in action) that we can stand – “let me hide myself in thee”.

In this hymn we understand that anyone’s ultimate salvation after death depended on Christ alone as a rock with a stable, strong and unchanging nature to secure such a one for all eternity.
Again, this hymn clearly shows that salvation, from the beginning to the end, is by faith alone in Christ alone. Once anyone hides himself in the ‘Rock of Ages’ he is eternally secured, no matter what!

1 Like

Re: Grace Guarantees Eternal Security by plainbibletruth: 8:38am On Dec 19, 2017
Grace is the policy of God.

Romans 11:6 simply and concisely differentiates between God’s grace and man’s works: “And if by grace, then it cannot be based on works; if it were, grace would no longer be grace.”
Grace excludes man’s efforts or involvement completely. To introduce human good into the matter of salvation is to put to death grace.

The Mosaic Law revealed our hopelessness to meet God’s standards – Romans 5:20.

The Christian life is totally dependent on grace. By grace we are kept because grace completes what grace began: Romans 6:14 “Sin is no longer your master, for you no longer live under the requirements of the law. Instead, you live under the freedom of God's grace.”
1 Cor. 15:10 “But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them--yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me.”

If salvation is by works then it is only as dependable and reliable as human nature. If it by grace then it as reliable as God himself.
Ephesians 2: 8 & 9: “God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God.”

The Law demands perfection and demands that perfection all the time. Law keeping cannot bring righteousness to man that is acceptable to God. It may produce righteousness to men that is acceptable to man but not God. Romans 3:20: “For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are.”

With God righteousness is determined another way: it comes by means of faith, not good works Romans 4:5 – “But people are counted as righteous, not because of their work, but because of their faith in God who forgives sinners.”

Salvation by works exalts man. If anyone can be saved by works then Christ died in vain: Galatians 2:21 “I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing! Titus 3:5 – “he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit.”

The one who owned up to his inability and found grace as the only recourse for righteousness in the sight of God is the one that left justified before God. Luke 18:11-14 – “The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people – robbers, evildoers, adulterers – or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
“I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

God’s grace and man’s faith made effective by the Holy Spirit makes possible the salvation blessings.
Regeneration, justification, reconciliation, expiation, propitiation, sanctification and glorification: None of the salvation blessings are earned by the works of man. They come by faith alone in Christ alone.

Grace (which is dependent on the integrity of God alone) completes what grace began.
Re: Grace Guarantees Eternal Security by plainbibletruth: 6:56pm On Mar 31, 2018
Hymns Teaching God’s Guarantee Of Eternal Security (3)

Hymns with doctrinal content orient the Christian to God’s way of thinking and operation – GRACE: An expression of kindness that is done NOT because of any MERIT or WORTH on the part of the recipient but ONLY as a result of the freeheartedness of God.

Grace DOES NOT depend upon us, but upon God. In other words, no Christian can WORK FOR grace, he can only adjust or respond to grace. The focus in grace is always God because of his character not on what man is and what he can do.

JESUS PAID IT ALL
1 I hear the Savior say,
"Thy strength indeed is small,
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all."

Refrain:
Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.

2 Lord, now indeed I find
Thy pow'r and Thine alone,
Can change the leper's spots
And melt the heart of stone. [Refrain]

3 For nothing good have I
Where-by Thy grace to claim;
I'll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calv'ry's Lamb. [Refrain]

4 And when, before the throne,
I stand in Him complete,
"Jesus died my soul to save,"
My lips shall still repeat. [Refrain]
Baptist Hymnal, 1991

Author: Elvina M. Hall
Hall, Elvina Mable, was born at Alexandria, Virginia, in 1818; and was married, first to Mr. Richard Hall, and then, in 1885, to the Rev.
Re: Grace Guarantees Eternal Security by plainbibletruth: 8:10am On Apr 01, 2018
Easter – God’s Grace Gift – Guarantees Eternal Security

The Word of God is very clear on the issue of eternal security. Regrettably, because of ignorance many Christians still think they can ADD to Christ’s work on the cross to be guaranteed a place with God forever. Salvation is contingent ONLY upon a person’s belief in the work of Jesus Christ on the cross. Salvation is a grace gift from God.

Because of the cross there is NO CONDEMNATION (or judgement, or punishment, or doom) for those who are in Christ Jesus (Rom. 8:1). Those in Jesus Christ will NEVER come into judgement – not ‘may not’ but ‘will not’. Why? because they have passed from death into life – John 5:24.

The grace gift of salvation is irreversible because those who believe in Jesus Christ have eternal life – John 3:16. This eternal life is dependent on the integrity of God and not on man’s works. Believers are KEPT by the power of God – 1 Peter 1:5; not by their works or will power.

Mankind was still helpless when Christ died for all – Romans 5:6-9. If God was able to do the work of salvation when the individual was “helpless” to say that the believer now has to do something to keep him safe is blasphemous!

God’s holiness or integrity AS FAR AS THE SIN ISSUE IS CONCERNED, was ONLY SATISFIED AT THE CROSS. Not anywhere else. God is the perfect and FAIR judge. He never renders any wrong decision. He cannot declare the believer perfectly righteous “at the cross” and then turn around to say at some future point that the believer is now unrighteous. That would suggest that God made a wrong decision in the first place; to even suggest that is again blasphemous!

The CROSS was the defining point in history – both human and angelic. It showed the length God was willing to go to show his holiness and love. The cross also showed the faithfulness of God in keeping his word. And when man is faithless he still remains faithful – 2 Tim. 2:13. God remains faithful to his promise based on the work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

Our relationship with God is based on his integrity, not ours. The integrity of God is what guarantees our eternal security and not our integrity, morality or our success or failure. Man may be impressed by any or all of these but ultimately man’s measure of any of these CANNOT attain to the perfect holiness of God. Man can only “QUALIFY” because he has ticked himself ‘ok’ in his own list of things. But God requires nothing short of his perfect standard. Only the cross provided this. The only work that earn any point with God is the work of Jesus Christ on the cross at Easter. NOTHING ELSE DOES OR CAN!

The believer still possesses the old sin nature. That in itself is offensive to God. It therefore takes God’s judicial imputation to qualify any man for eternity with God. The cross made it possible for God to justly impute his righteousness on the believer in order to, as it were, overlook man’s inadequacies.

He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy” – Titus 3:5. Easter is the greatest display of that mercy – the mercy that guarantees eternal security for all who express faith alone in Christ alone.

(1) (Reply)

​special Divine Encounter - Day 1 (16/02/2017) / Daily Spiritual Digest / Apostle Suleman Demands N1bn Damages From Keyamo, Reports Him To NBA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.