Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,498 members, 7,812,538 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:59 PM

Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records (2500 Views)

How To Fix Windows 7 Not Genuine Error-“copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine" / Download Bluestacks For Windows 7/8 & MAC PC (offline Installer) / How To Use Windows 7 Without Activation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by mrofficial(m): 8:45pm On Nov 27, 2009
Microsoft Corp. has sold twice as many copies of Windows 7 in its first few weeks than any previous version of the operating system, Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer said.

Mr. Ballmer, speaking Thursday at Microsoft's annual shareholder meeting, described the initial Windows 7 reception as "fantastic" but didn't provide a specific figure for sales since the Oct. 22 release. Since the software giant sold about 20 million copies of Windows Vista in its first month on the market that would put initial Windows 7 sales at roughly 40 million units.
[MSOFT]

A company spokeswoman said Mr. Ballmer was referring to both boxed copies of Windows 7 and copies it sells to PC makers for inclusion on their machines.

Microsoft and others in the PC industry are eager to see Windows 7 give a lift to hardware sales, which have suffered badly during the economic downturn. Windows is one of the biggest sources of Microsoft's profit, accounting for nearly half of the company's $20.4 billion in operating income during its last fiscal year.

The new software, which has received favorable reviews, also could give Microsoft a badly needed image boost in the wake of Windows Vista—a prior version of the operating system that suffered from technical snafus when it was launched several years ago.

The comments from Mr. Ballmer are the closest the company has come to quantifying sales of Windows 7 since the product went on sale Oct. 22.

Mr. Ballmer didn't give precise figures, or specify how much of Windows 7's sales came through sales of new PCs, which are typically the most common way people receive a new operating system.

During the meeting, Mr. Ballmer fielded questions from a number of investors who focused on the trouble Apple Inc. has been causing for Microsoft in different parts of the consumer market. A man who identified himself as a longtime investor expressed concern that Windows had lost ground to Apple's Macintosh among students, including the investor's own children.
Journal Community

* Vote: Will Windows 7 revive Microsoft's image?
* Discuss: Will you upgrade?

Mr. Ballmer said Microsoft does "quite well" among students but said the company can improve its standing in that market. "Windows 7 gives us a real opportunity to come back again at audiences that have been tougher for us," Mr. Ballmer said.

Apple's share of new PC shipments in the U.S. was 9.2% in the third quarter, up from 4.8% in the same period four years ago, according to research firm IDC.

World-wide, Macs represented 3.9% of new PC shipments in the third quarter compared with 2.4% four years ago, IDC said. Nearly all of the remaining PCs shipped came with a version of Windows.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704204304574545754132474232.html

I so much love Windows 7.

Meanwhile some say Vista is faster.

Windows 7 is much more faster than Vista, there shouldn't be comparison at all, if you are using a system that has good configuration.

However you don't expect Windows 7 to work well on a upgraded Pentium 3.

Windows 7 is very okay.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by inze(m): 12:15am On Nov 28, 2009
I second, third and fourth that . . . grin grin grin
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by semid4lyfe(m): 3:01pm On Nov 28, 2009
News ain't surprising considering the hullabaloo & noise about windows 7 in the past few months.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by lynxnoon(m): 11:44am On Dec 01, 2009
as for me i'll wait till nxt year for more reviews on it undecided
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by DualCore1: 2:17pm On Dec 01, 2009
Windows 7 breaks sales records? how does this concern Nigeria? You buy am?
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 01, 2009
well, i'm using it - viva bios emulator lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by mrofficial(m): 3:09pm On Dec 01, 2009
Dual Core:

Windows 7 breaks sales records? how does this concern Nigeria? You buy am?

Yes! 45k Naira. grin
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by Ighedome(m): 6:47pm On Dec 01, 2009
What is all these Windows 7 story self? Many Nigerians are yet to fully grab the rudiments of Vista, you are talking about Windows 7. I beg, my Vista is just one year old and am not tired of it yet.  grin grin grin
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by mrofficial(m): 8:20pm On Dec 01, 2009
Ighedome:

What is all these Windows 7 story self? Many Nigerians are yet to fully grab the rudiments of Vista, you are talking about Windows 7. I beg, my Vista is just one year old and am not tired of it yet.  grin grin grin

When you try Windows 7, you will complete hate Vista. Because Vista is sh*t to Windows 7.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by lynxnoon(m): 9:54pm On Dec 01, 2009
am not even tru wit vista yet and i hate it undecided grin
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by puskin: 4:45am On Dec 02, 2009
@poster
U buy Windows 7, 45k.
4rm where?
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by mrofficial(m): 11:09am On Dec 02, 2009
puskin:

@poster
U buy Windows 7, 45k.
4rm where?

Computer Village. Whats it? Are you surprised? grin grin grin

Are you guys waiting for the cracked version? cheesy cheesy
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by samir101ng(m): 11:36am On Dec 02, 2009
mr.official:

Computer Village. Whats it? Are you surprised? grin grin grin

Are you guys waiting for the cracked version? cheesy cheesy

Good for you. At least there are some decent people that still buy original softwares in Nigeria.

As for me, i am just waiting for Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to come out. Who's gonna bet to see how long b4 it comes out ?
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by DualCore1: 12:10pm On Dec 02, 2009
mr.official:

Yes! 45k Naira. grin

Nothing do you!

I bought my Warez "Lord of Warez" title for about 500,000 Naira tongue
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by texazzpete(m): 5:15pm On Dec 02, 2009
I'll just change my laptop finally (been using the same Sony VAIO FE21M since 2006) and upgrade to one running a legit Windows 7.

Truth be told, you can score a copy of Win 7 Home Premium for $130. That's less than N20k. For someone over 23, that should be a no-brainer. PLunk some honest cash down for once and get a legit copy.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:36pm On Dec 02, 2009
and wat magic does it being legit do? u sleep berra shey. ts3w. anyway i dnt share ur nitemares anymore so i probly dnt unnerstand. wen deres foc os fully functional around u telling me 2 spend a fortune 2 buy more wahala. pray tell me wat it is abt orig software? bsides in naija they cost a fortune. go to palms[color=][/color]
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by AKO1(m): 9:38pm On Dec 02, 2009
4llerbuntu:

and wat magic does it being legit do? u sleep berra shey. ts3w. anyway i dnt share your nitemares anymore so i probly dnt unnerstand. wen deres foc os fully functional around u telling me 2 spend a fortune 2 buy more wahala. pray tell me wat it is abt orig software? bsides in naija they cost a fortune. go to palms[color=][/color]

I'm no saint with pirated software, but I like what I read somewhere about the difference between open source and commercial software. Most open source programmers are sustained by their regular job incomes, and those who code commercial software do it as a primary job. Hence pirating commercial software is stealing from someone's salary. And apparently we do not respect that enough.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by Nobody: 6:11am On Dec 03, 2009
weird. . .wanted to try out 64bit windows 7.

practically all warez links have diasppeared. even found tha mods of forums i frequent have been deleting windows 7 threads.

sees as if now that windows 7 is a winner, ms is wielding the big stick on its piracy
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by DualCore1: 8:43am On Dec 03, 2009
oyb:

weird. . .wanted to try out 64bit windows 7.

practically all warez links have diasppeared. even found tha mods of forums i frequent have been deleting windows 7 threads.

sees as if now that windows 7 is a winner, ms is wielding the big stick on its piracy

Just seen a retail ultimate version 64bit.
RS links, 17 parts.
Not tested by me.

I just attempted to download the part 1 and part 17 and they're working so it means RS hasnt kicked it out . . .yet.

You want that?

? your email
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by lynxnoon(m): 9:35am On Dec 03, 2009
hmmmmmmmmmm interesting. . . . . .
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by moonraker(m): 10:04am On Dec 03, 2009
Admin, pls dont ban me, i am just trying to help NL memebers

This is Windows 7 Ultimate X64 direct from microsoft, when i bought mine

i saved the links for future use,

You NEED a key to activate/use forever, but if you don't have one, you can use this to test out Windows 7 for 120 days (using the rearm command)

Download the appropriate 3 files for the language and version (x64) you want to download:

NOTE: Make sure you use a download manager (such as DownThemAll) to download these files as they sometimes do not download properly in browsers

themselves (especially the box files)

These links are clean and as close as you can get to a direct download from microsoft - digital river is a microsoft distributor

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-79946/Win7-P-Retail-en-us-x64.exe

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-79946/setup1.box

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-79946/setup2.box

Instructions

to make an iso from these files (Assuming you have already downloaded the files and placed all 3 in the same folder):

1. Run the .exe for your download as administrator (right click on it, then click "Run as Administrator" in the menu), wait for it to extract

2. Once the 'Install Now' window appears, close it

3. You should have a folder called expandedSetup in the directory with the 3 downloaded files
4. Copy this folder to C:\

5. Go to C:\expandedSetup\sources and delete the file called ei.cfg , doing this will allow you to select the version you want at install (Pro, Ultimate, Home Premium etc.)

6. Download this file: http://sharebee.com/2932d4f4 extract it, and place it (oscdimg.exe) in C:\Windows\System32 (This file comes from the official windows 7 WAIK, it is called oscdimg.exe in case you were wondering)

7. Then, open a command prompt as administrator (type cmd into the start menu box then right click on cmd.exe and click "Run as Administrator"wink and run the following command:

oscdimg.exe -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -u2 -h -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\Win7.iso

-This will create an iso for windows 7 in your C drive, if you get an error, try typing in the command, not copy/paste
-Note, the character before WIN_EN_DVD is a lowercase L

8. Burn the iso, boot it, and install (you can also put it onto a usb flash drive/hard drive using the microsoft tool to save a disc: http://sharebee.com/c30bb301 )

The disc created with this method will act just like a retail Windows 7 disc (can install any version (Ultimate, Pro, Home Premium etc.) but is limited to whichever bit-type (x86 or x64) you download)
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by honsule(m): 8:01pm On Dec 09, 2009
windows 7 Rocks big time.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by CarlosVent(m): 9:48pm On Dec 09, 2009
7 is very nice. good art work
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:07am On Dec 10, 2009
Dts all u pple say, its finer! Meanwhile bill is gettin richer.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by DualCore1: 1:49pm On Dec 10, 2009
4llerbuntu:

Dts all u pple say, its finer! Meanwhile bill is gettin richer.
The earlier you start getting over the Windows hate the better for you.
It doesnt change anything for anyone.
Tell you what, if the whole world went nix, it won't add a cent to your bank account.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:30pm On Dec 10, 2009
Nah, i dont hate windows, i started out there and i am a very competent user.

Until d disaster called vista and d opening of my eyes. I truly dislike pple preening ova ms. Look if d opensource world can do stuff really good, then ms's refusal 2 so do inspite of d mega bucks available 2 dem is deliberate and unwarranted!

Iv no prob wit making money off me but give value! D best dt money can get! Considering i can get stuff beta dan wat ms gives me for free, am pissed!

D probs wit MS OS'ES are well-documented n hav bin around 4 yrs! A windows install performs worse d longer it on, a linux install improves!, a windows install WILL degrade ur hard drive over time, a linux install wont even be fragmented!, a windows install increasingly requires more resources 2 run, a linux install and program with equivalent utility uses far less( d newest linux os will run comfortably on 512mb ram!), lets not start abt viruses, wateva u say, all d extra wares u need 2 keep ur windows alive are crippling! U pple dont knw d half anyway cos of otigba 150 cd. After using both, am of d opinion dt linux equivs of progs do beta overall.

Now if unpaid geeks can make software dt has clear ability and workability, then hw can u tell me a big corporation like ms cant do beta? This is just a vicious circle scam, i sell u wat u will constantly need me for 2 use! All those anti trust suits are not jus bad belle naw!

Unlike d average maga, i need more than a few pretty themes n wall paper n graphics 2 catch me mugun.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by texazzpete(m): 9:53pm On Dec 10, 2009
4llerbuntu:

and wat magic does it being legit do? u sleep berra shey. ts3w. anyway i dnt share your nitemares anymore so i probly dnt unnerstand. wen deres foc os fully functional around u telling me 2 spend a fortune 2 buy more wahala. pray tell me wat it is abt orig software? bsides in naija they cost a fortune. go to palms[color=][/color]

Yes, i sleep better knowing i didnt steal the OS i run on my primary PC, and knowing i'm not screwing someone out of his rightful cash.
And if you think 20k is a fortune at your age, i'm genuinely sorry for you.

4llerbuntu:

Until d disaster called vista and d opening of my eyes. I truly dislike pple preening ova ms. Look if d opensource world can do stuff really good, then ms's refusal 2 so do inspite of d mega bucks available 2 dem is deliberate and unwarranted!

Iv no prob wit making money off me but give value! D best dt money can get! Considering i can get stuff beta dan wat ms gives me for free, am pissed!

D probs wit MS OS'ES are well-documented n hav bin around 4 yrs! A windows install performs worse d longer it on, a linux install improves!, a windows install WILL degrade your hard drive over time, a linux install wont even be fragmented!, a windows install increasingly requires more resources 2 run, a linux install and program with equivalent utility uses far less( d newest linux os will run comfortably on 512mb ram!), lets not start abt viruses, wateva u say, all d extra wares u need 2 keep your windows alive are crippling! U pple dont knw d half anyway cos of otigba 150 cd. After using both, am of d opinion dt linux equivs of progs do beta overall.

Now if unpaid geeks can make software dt has clear ability and workability, then hw can u tell me a big corporation like ms cant do beta? This is just a vicious circle scam, i sell u wat u will constantly need me for 2 use! All those anti trust suits are not jus bad belle naw!

Unlike d average maga, i need more than a few pretty themes n wall paper n graphics 2 catch me mugun.

'Clear ability and workability'? Don't make me laugh. I use Windows instead of any of the FOSS alternative because honestly windows is far more polished.
Good job trotting out all the linux fanboy FUD about Windows and viruses. Any windows user with enough common sense to keep his antivirus updated can easily avoid being infected with a virus. And to be honest, the trade-off with the time taken to update anti-virus software as well as system patches pays off when you realize you don't need to go through hell just to get linux drivers for your obscure router or device. Why do you think Linux users till date still whine at ATI/AMD?

yes, we know you can install Ubuntu on a system with 512 MB RAM. But what's the point? Good luck running Photoshop or any decent animation tool on that. And yes, Linux may perform faster than Windows on the same hardware. But what use is that speed when you're restricted to inferior open source clones of popular productivity software? For example, OpenOffice.org is nowhere near the quality of Microsoft Office or Apple's iWork apps.

When i can get a polished OS with decent tech support for a meager sum (spread that 20k over 3 years that you'll own the PC and you'll see how trivial it is) and has loads of software, why should i limit myself with the Ubuntus of this world? Why wait and join the rest of you whiners to beg Crossover software to port popular games to Linux? Why wait the entire year for Google to release Chrome officially on Linux when i could have gotten it earlier on Windows? Why spend hours online trying to figure out a way to get itunes to work on Ubuntu when it's an out of the box install for windows? Ditto for handy software for mobile phones.

When the software for unlocking iphones came out, guess what OS it supported? Mac and Windows.

I use open source software and material when it makes sense for me to do so. I started using PHP and MySQL since 2000, it easily fit my needs then and now. But at this point in time, your precious Linux still isn't ready for primetime yet.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by texazzpete(m): 9:56pm On Dec 10, 2009
4llerbuntu:

and wat magic does it being legit do?  u sleep berra shey. ts3w.  anyway i dnt share your nitemares anymore so i probly dnt unnerstand. wen deres foc os fully functional around u telling me 2 spend a fortune 2 buy more wahala.  pray tell me wat it is abt orig software?  bsides in naija they cost a fortune. go to palms[color=][/color]

Yes, i sleep better knowing i didnt steal the OS i run on my primary PC, and knowing i'm not screwing someone out of his rightful cash.
And if you think 20k is a fortune at your age, i'm genuinely sorry for you.

4llerbuntu:

D probs wit MS OS'ES are well-documented n hav bin around 4 yrs! A windows install performs worse d longer it on, a linux install improves!, a windows install WILL degrade your hard drive over time, a linux install wont even be fragmented!, a windows install increasingly requires more resources 2 run, a linux install and program with equivalent utility uses far less( d newest linux os will run comfortably on 512mb ram!), lets not start abt viruses, wateva u say, all d extra wares u need 2 keep your windows alive are crippling! U pple dont knw d half anyway cos of otigba 150 cd. After using both, am of d opinion dt linux equivs of progs do beta overall.

'Clear ability and workability'? Don't make me laugh. I use Windows instead of any of the FOSS alternative because honestly windows is far more polished.
Good job trotting out all the linux fanboy FUD about Windows and viruses. Any windows user with enough common sense to keep his antivirus updated can easily avoid being infected with a virus. And to be honest, the trade-off with the time taken to update anti-virus software as well as system patches pays off when you realize you don't need to go through hell just to get linux drivers for your obscure router or device. Why do you think Linux users till date still whine at ATI/AMD?

yes, we know you can install Ubuntu on a system with 512 MB RAM. But what's the point? Good luck running Photoshop or any decent animation tool on that. And yes, Linux may perform faster than Windows on the same hardware. But what use is that speed when you're restricted to inferior open source clones of popular productivity software? For example, OpenOffice.org is nowhere near the quality of Microsoft Office or Apple's iWork apps.

When i can get a polished OS with decent tech support for a meager sum (spread that 20k over 3 years that you'll own the PC and you'll see how trivial it is) and has loads of software, why should i limit myself with the Ubuntus of this world? Why wait and join the rest of you whiners to beg Crossover software to port popular games to Linux? Why wait the entire year for Google to release Chrome officially on Linux when i could have gotten it earlier on Windows? Why spend hours online trying to figure out a way to get itunes to work on Ubuntu when it's an out of the box install for windows? Ditto for handy software for mobile phones.

When the software for unlocking iphones came out, guess what OS it supported? Mac and Windows.

I use open source software and material when it makes sense for me to do so. I started using PHP and MySQL since 2000, it  easily fit my needs then and now. But at this point in time, your precious Linux still isn't ready for primetime yet.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by flyuche(m): 10:05pm On Dec 10, 2009
@tex. the linux world is a universe. linux works! whatever works for you stick with it.
Re: Windows 7 Breaks All Sales Records by DualCore1: 10:51pm On Dec 10, 2009
flyuche:

@tex. the linux world is a universe. linux works! whatever works for you stick with it.
It will be appreciated if the pipz making up that universe can stay in it without having to bring out their heads into the Windows universe.
Linux works for you, fine! use it in silence. Windows works for me, fine! I'mma use it in silence. Not going about on a linux thread telling the nix users how windows is better.

4llerbe you should think about that, cuz (i don't think you should care about this though cuz me in ur position, i won't), most of your posts are just turn offs cuz i can tell what it will be. Its gon be yet another linux-better-than-windows sermon. Pipz have been preaching that sermon before some of us knew what boxes were so please cut it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Swift Router/modem + Free 1 Month Subscription For Sale: 07025445375 / UK Used Dell Inspiron N4050 Core I3 For Sale / Clean And White SAMSUNG Mini 250gb Harddisk, 2gb Ram At Surulere LAGOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.