Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,041 members, 7,835,510 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? (960 Views)

Book Of Matthew.(Another Great Teachings of JESUS) / What Does It Mean That Our Sins Are Washed Away? / Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:44pm On Jan 20, 2017
Are followers of Jesus today under the authority of the Law, or free from the Law?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by marshalcarter: 12:02am On Jan 21, 2017
depends on the persons belief cos even the bible said dat to those who believeth are made free from every law....so i blv nd i accept him as my LORD and personal saviour....so ayam made free...cheesy haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalaaaaaaaluyaaaaaaaah

e remain my baptism sha undecided grin
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by ifex370(m): 12:03am On Jan 21, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
Are followers of Jesus today under the authority of the Law, or free from the Law?

You can still follow the law if you choose.. The law doesn't exist except in our minds...

We are not under the authority of the law.. However some r( ie in their minds)

Trusting and believing in Jesus sets us apart from the law cos Grace is bigger than law
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by menxer: 4:37am On Jan 21, 2017
ifex370:

You can still follow the law if you choose.. The law doesn't exist except in our minds...

We are not under the authority of the law.. However some r( ie in their minds)

Trusting and believing in Jesus sets us apart from the law cos Grace is bigger than law

So I can as well pay my tithes in my mind, right?
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by ifex370(m): 6:02am On Jan 21, 2017
menxer:

So I can as well pay my tithes in my mind, right?

Tithing came before the law.. The law can by Moses but Grace n truth came through our Lord Jesus Christ.. Amen?

Abraham lived before Moses ,but he tithed to Melchizedek ( a type of Christ)

Tithing is Gods plan/formula to make us rich.. It takes revelation to realize this sha..

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by menxer: 6:50am On Jan 21, 2017
ifex370:

Tithing came before the law.. The law can by Moses but Grace n truth came through our Lord Jesus Christ.. Amen?

Abraham lived before Moses ,but he tithed to Melchizedek ( a type of Christ)

Tithing is Gods plan/formula to make us rich..
It takes revelation to realize this sha..
Well, then Tithing is not a christian thing for Melchizedek was neither a Jew nor a christian.

Or are you insinuating since melchizedek (a type of Christ) collected tithe, Jesus (another type of Christ) is entitled to collect Tithes?

If so, is there any record that Jesus paid or collected tithe from anyone?

@bolded is another way of saying "I can bribe God with money to be enriched some more," and it contradicts the alleged Grace we are supposedly under.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by ifex370(m): 7:22am On Jan 21, 2017
menxer:

Well, then Tithing is not a christian thing for Melchizedek was neither a Jew nor a christian.

Or are you insinuating since melchizedek (a type of Christ) collected tithe, Jesus (another type of Christ) is entitled to collect Tithes?

If so, is there any record that Jesus paid or collected tithe from anyone?

@bolded is another way of saying "I can bribe God with money to be enriched some more," and it contradicts the alleged Grace we are supposedly under.

There is no bribing God.. Christ didn't collect tithe.. He didn't obligate anybody to give him either..

That's why I said it takes revelation to pay your tithes and be faithful to it..

Its not for everybody.. But its for the benefit of everyone trust me on this..

If don't wanna pay your tithes.. Fine.. God won't punish you for anything.. Its up to you

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by menxer: 7:37am On Jan 21, 2017
ifex370:

There is no bribing God.. Christ didn't collect tithe.. He didn't obligate anybody to give him either..

That's why I said it takes revelation to pay your tithes and be faithful to it..

If don't wanna pay your tithes.. Fine.. God won't punish you for anything.. Its up to you

@bolded, if that is true, why bother then?
Or is it just to make one feel good?

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by ifex370(m): 1:58pm On Jan 21, 2017
menxer:

@bolded, if that is true, why bother then?
Or is it just to make one feel good?

Give and it shall be given unto you...good measures.....

God can never be a debtor to no man..

Its by revelation.. And its for your own Good.. Read Deut 26..
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by Splinz(m): 2:22pm On Jan 21, 2017
ifex370:

Who was Melchizedek and who was Christ
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by ifex370(m): 2:37pm On Jan 21, 2017
Splinz:

Who was Melchizedek and who was Christ

The Bible Say's Melchizedek was a type of Christ

Christ is the Son of God
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by Splinz(m): 2:48pm On Jan 21, 2017
ifex370:

The Bible Say's Melchizedek was a type of Christ

Christ is the Son of God

Please kindly furnish me with the chapters and verses.
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by menxer: 7:57pm On Jan 21, 2017
ifex370:

Give and it shall be given unto you...good measures.....

God can never be a debtor to no man..

Its by revelation.. And its for your own Good.. Read Deut 26..

Did you understand my argument or question?

If God can never be indebted to any man, why put yourself in debt?

Deut 26 only applies if and only if God made a promise to your fore father to give him a land, and it came to pass in your time, else it is null and void.

@bolded, it didn't say "when you give to God..." and it didn't say "shall God give unto you" but "shall men give..."

Jesus even made simpler and more specific, " whatsoever you do (give) to the least of these ones, you do (give) unto me," how does that sound to you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by ifex370(m): 8:36pm On Jan 21, 2017
menxer:

Did you understand my argument or question?

If God can never be indebted to any man, why put yourself in debt?

Deut 26 only applies if and only if God made a promise to your fore father to give him a land, and it came to pass in your time, else it is null and void.

@bolded, it didn't say "when you give to God..." and it didn't say "shall God give unto you" but "shall men give..."

Jesus even made simpler and more specific, " whatsoever you do (give) to the least of these ones, you do (give) unto me," how does that sound to you?

God can never be indebted to any man in the sense that.. Whatever you give to the least of these one's, you give to Him.. And he will surely reward those deeds

Deut 26 still applies cos all the conditions meet / are in pine with our new creation reality..

The land God has brought us into in verse 1 is our redemption.. Christ is our great high priest..

In fact eh.. I dunno.. Do what you like

Tithing needs revelation.. Even the tree in the garden of Eden that God told Adam not to eat of.. Was a symbol of the tithe...( that part of your increase you set apart as a result of your respect for God ) Amen...
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by menxer: 8:42pm On Jan 21, 2017
ifex370:

God can never be indebted to any man in the sense that.. Whatever you give to the least of these one's, you give to Him.. And he will surely reward those deeds

Deut 26 still applies cos all the conditions meet / are in pine with our new creation reality..

The land God has brought us into in verse 1 is our redemption.. Christ is our great high priest..

In fact eh.. I dunno.. Do what you like

Tithing needs revelation.. Even the tree in the garden of Eden that God told Adam not to eat of.. Was a symbol of the tithe...( that part of your increase you set apart as a result of your respect for God ) Amen...

I know undoing years of childhood indoctrination and pastoral brainwashing is not an easy task.

The proverbial tree in the midst of Eden a symbol of tithe? You are correct.

The bible can be interpreted anyhow you want, abi?
It can also mean no sex until you are married. Make you pick.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by ifex370(m): 9:09pm On Jan 21, 2017
menxer:

I know undoing years of childhood indoctrination and pastoral brainwashing is not an easy task.

The proverbial tree in the midst of Eden a symbol of tithe? You are correct.

The bible can be interpreted anyhow you want, abi?
It can also mean no sex until you are married. Make you pick.

Nope.. Your wrong...the bible is crystal clear for everyone who is ready to receive
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by johnw74: 12:46am On Jan 22, 2017
Those under the law had to keep the law, which no man could, until the man Jesus, who sinned not.
And there had to be sacrifice for man's sins if they are to be saved.

Jesus Christ was the sacrifice for all the sins of the world, for those who believe,
they don't have to keep the law or sacrifice over and over for their sins, they just have to have faith in
Jesus sacrifice for them.

I haven't seen where the law has been done away with, we still are not to steal and kill for instance,
but we don't any more have to be perfect and not sin to be saved, which is impossible for mere man.

The fact that Jesus never sinned and so was worthy to be our saviour, is proof that He is God in the flesh,
what man other than He could endure all temptations and not sin.

2Co_5:21  For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by orisa37: 4:27am On Jan 22, 2017
That He is The GOD who wrote those Laws for Moses, wrote The Hebrew Texts and now giving us a Paraphrase, as a better, more explainable and more understanding view of the ten Commandments in asking us now to "LOVE OURSELVES AS HE LOVES US"!!! He came to explain, present and reinstall Himself and The Laws as The Light of The Universe.
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by menxer: 7:05am On Jan 22, 2017
ifex370:

Nope.. Your wrong...the bible is crystal clear for everyone who is ready to receive

Listen to yourself.
Wrong?
Crystal clear?

SMH
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:04pm On Jan 25, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

https://www.gotquestions.org/abolish-fulfill-law.html
Re: What Does It Mean That Jesus Fulfilled The Law, But Did Not Abolish It? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:25pm On Mar 02, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

https://www.gotquestions.org/abolish-fulfill-law.html

Question: "What does it mean that Jesus fulfilled the law, but did not abolish it?"

Answer: In Matthew's record of what is commonly called the Sermon on the Mount, these words of Jesus are recorded: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfil them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished" (Matthew 5:17-18).

It is frequently argued that if Jesus did not "abolish" the law, then it must still be binding. Accordingly, such components as the Sabbath-day requirement must be operative still, along with perhaps numerous other elements of the Mosaic Law. This assumption is grounded in a misunderstanding of the words and intent of this passage. Christ did not suggest here that the binding nature of the law of Moses would remain forever in effect. Such a view would contradict everything we learn from the balance of the New Testament (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23-25; Ephesians 2:15).

Of special significance in this study is the word rendered "abolish." It translates the Greek term kataluo, literally meaning "to loosen down." The word is found seventeen times in the New Testament. It is used, for example, of the destruction of the Jewish temple by the Romans (Matthew 26:61; 27:40; Acts 6:14), and of the dissolving of the human body at death (2 Corinthians 5:1). The term can carry the extended meaning of "to overthrow," i.e., "to render vain, deprive of success." In classical Greek, it was used in connection with institutions, laws, etc., to convey the idea of "to invalidate."

It is especially important to note how the word is used in Matthew 5:17. In this context, "abolish" is set in opposition to "fulfil." Christ came "...not to abolish, but to fulfil." Jesus did not come to this earth for the purpose of acting as an opponent of the law. His goal was not to prevent its fulfilment. Rather, He revered it, loved it, obeyed it, and brought it to fruition. He fulfilled the law's prophetic utterances regarding Himself (Luke 24:44). Christ fulfilled the demands of the Mosaic law, which called for perfect obedience under threat of a "curse" (see Galatians 3:10, 13). In this sense, the law's divine design will ever have an abiding effect. It will always accomplish the purpose for which it was given.

If, however, the law of Moses bears the same relationship to men today, in terms of its binding status, then it was not fulfilled, and Jesus failed at what He came to do. On the other hand, if the Lord did accomplish His goal, then the law was fulfilled, and it is not a binding legal institution today. Further, if the law of Moses was not fulfilled by Christ—and thus remains as a binding legal system for today—then it is not just partially binding. Rather, it is a totally compelling system. Jesus plainly said that not one "jot or tittle" (representative of the smallest markings of the Hebrew script) would pass away until all was fulfilled. Consequently, nothing of the law was to fail until it had completely accomplished its purpose. Jesus fulfilled the law. Jesus fulfilled all of the law. We cannot say that Jesus fulfilled the sacrificial system, but did not fulfil the other aspects of the law. Jesus either fulfilled all of the law, or none of it. What Jesus' death means for the sacrificial system, it also means for the other aspects of the law.

(1) (Reply)

The Three Yoruba Visitors Divination / Spirit Dancer (masquerade) Chases And Thrashes Christian Choosen Church Members / Take Up Your Cross Daily ( Luke 9:23) - Paul Ellis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.