Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,537 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him (48978 Views)

Photos Of Gambians Brutalised By Jammeh's Soldiers In His Final Days / Gambians Jubilate As Yahya Jammeh Leaves Presidential Palace. Photos / Jammeh Begs To Stay In His Village As ECOWAS Troop Storms Gambia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by chie8: 10:24am On Jan 22, 2017
According to AU Peace Website,below are the details of the agreement ECOWAS signed with Yahya Jammeh before he stepped down.The details highly favoured Jammeh.Gambians did not find the agreement funny as many of them took to social media to react.See how Gambians reacted above.

1.    Following the Decision of the Summit of the ECOWAS Authority taken on 17th December 2016 in Abuja, Nigeria, Mediation efforts, including visits to Banjul, were undertaken by the Chair of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Government, HE President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, the Mediator, HE  President Muhammadu Buhari and Co-Mediator on The Gambia, HE former President John Dramani Mahama, along with HE President Ernest Bai Koroma to mediate on the political impasse with Sheikh Professor Alhaji Dr. Yahya A. J. J. Jammeh.

2.    Following further mediation efforts by HE President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz of the Islamic Republic of Mauritania and HE President Alpha Conde of the Republic of Guinea Conakry with HE Sheikh Professor Alhaji Dr. Yahya A. J. J. Jammeh, the former President of the Republic of The Gambia, and in consultation with the Chairperson of the ECOWAS Authority of Heads of State and Government, the Chairperson of the African Union and the Secretary-General of the United Nations, this declaration is made with the purpose of reaching a peaceful resolution to  the political situation in The Gambia.

3.    ECOWAS, the AU and the UN commend the goodwill and statesmanship of His Excellency former President Jammeh, who with the greater interest of the Gambian people in mind, and in order to preserve the peace, stability and security of The Gambia and maintain its sovereignty, territorial integrity and the dignity of the Gambian people, has decided to facilitate an immediate peaceful and orderly transition process and transfer of power to President Adama Barrow in accordance with the Gambian constitution.

4.    In furtherance of this, ECOWAS, the AU and the UN commit to work with the Government of The Gambia to ensure that it assures and ensures the dignity, respect, security and rights of HE former President Jammeh, as a citizen, a party leader and a former Head of State as provided for and guaranteed by the 1997 Gambian Constitution and other Laws of The Gambia.

5.    Further, ECOWAS, the AU and the UN commit to work with the Government of The Gambia to ensure that it fully guarantees, assures and ensures the dignity, security, safety and rights of former President Jammeh’s immediate family, cabinet members, government officials, Security Officials and party supporters and loyalists.

6.    ECOWAS, the AU and the UN commit to work with the Government of The Gambia to ensure that no legislative measures are taken by it that would be inconsistent with the previous two paragraphs. 
ECOWAS, the AU and the UN urge the Government of The Gambia to take all necessary measures to assure and ensure that there is no intimidation, harassment and/or witch-hunting of former regime members and supporters, in conformity with the Constitution and other laws of The Gambia.

8.    ECOWAS, the AU and the UN commit to work with the Government of The Gambia to prevent the seizure of assets and properties lawfully belonging to former President Jammeh or his family and those of his Cabinet members, government officials and Party supporters, as guaranteed under the Constitution and other Laws of The Gambia.

9.    In order to avoid any recriminations, ECOWAS, the AU and the UN commit to work with the Government of The Gambia on national reconciliation to cement social, cultural and national cohesion.

10.    ECOWAS, the AU and the UN underscore strongly the important role of the Gambian Defence and Security Forces in the maintenance of peace and stability of The Gambia and commit to work with the Government of The Gambia to ensure that it takes all appropriate measures to support the maintenance of the integrity of the [Defence and] Security Forces and guard against all measures that can create division and a breakdown of order.

11.    ECOWAS, the AU and the UN will work to ensure that host countries that offer “African hospitality” to former President Jammeh and his family do not become undue targets of harassment, intimidation and all other pressures and sanctions.

12.    In order to assist a peaceful and orderly transition and transfer of power and the establishment of a new government, HE former President Jammeh will temporarily leave The Gambia on 21 January 2017, without any prejudice to his rights as a citizen, a former President and a Political Party Leader. 

13.    ECOWAS, the AU and the UN will work with the Government of The Gambia to ensure that former President Jammeh is at liberty to return to The Gambia at any time of his choosing in accordance with international human rights law and his rights as a citizen of the Gambia and a former head of state.

14.    Pursuant to this declaration, ECOWAS will halt any military operations in The Gambia and will continue to pursue peaceful and political resolution of the crisis.

Source: http://www.trezzyhelm.com/2017/01/ecowas-release-details-of-agreement.html

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by chie8: 10:24am On Jan 22, 2017

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by stexsy(m): 10:30am On Jan 22, 2017
May Buhari not die........

6 Likes

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by stexsy(m): 10:30am On Jan 22, 2017
This Jammeh of a guy has really disappointed me. Liver failure
Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by mengho(m): 10:30am On Jan 22, 2017
chai you can never satisfy Africans woh, they forgot the man was trying to turn the whole country into a battle field b4 this agreement. Although some parts are a bit unfair to gambians, just wait for him to come back for his vacation and then.......well you know d rest

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by juman(m): 10:32am On Jan 22, 2017
The opposition outsmarted yahya jammeh.
Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by MrFemFem: 10:33am On Jan 22, 2017
1. A senior friend asked me to wait 4 him in an eatery in Oshogbo. So I ordered for sumtin of ₦250(sometin a gentleman lyk me can afford)..100 amala,50 naira meat,20 pure water and 30 naira for madam keep d change.

After Eating successfully d Voluminous meal and waiting ,i noticed a rich man in agbada. About 50secs later, a man went to dis richman & told him he lost his wife & need money...Immediately, d richman gave him a millon naira cheque out of pity.(wow! I was
shocked).

Another man went in crying dat he lost his father & needed money 4 burial, this good rich
man gave him a million naira cheque too (ehn? Kini mo gbo? I CANT BE LEFT OUT). I was cooking in my mind, d type of pitiful lie I'll also tell 2 rececive my own 1 million...I summoned courage and went to d richman's front.

I told him I lost my grandfather & I need money (I was crying, shedding crocodile tears...). whileI was expecting this man to open his brief case & give me a cheque too, suddenly I heard a noise

"CUT!!! CUT!!! CUT!!! MR MAN, YOU CAN'T INTERUPT OUR FILM JUST LIKE THAT"

2. I was buying fufu at one junction while waiting for change I saw a woman with a little child. The child was walking a bit faster than the woman and the woman shouted; "Degree wait for me". I was so amazed hearing that name. So to satisfy my curiosity, I walked closer to the woman and asked; "ma, why do u call this child degree"? The woman laughed and said "I sent her mother to the University and this is what she brought home.

56 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Rapmaestro(m): 10:48am On Jan 22, 2017
What else do Gambians want? His head? Many would have died if he had remained stubborn altho he too would have been killed too.... Anyways, trust UN and AU don't really follow agreements, written or not... When it is the rii time, they'll treat his f up

3 Likes

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Jimyn(f): 1:47pm On Jan 22, 2017
This is messed up
Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Noblesoul123: 1:48pm On Jan 22, 2017
Silly bunch of ingrates.

It is obvious that these Gambians don't appreciate the value of a peaceful transition of power.

Most of them even made comments without understanding the true meaning of the deal brokered by ECOWAS.

Am not surprised, because we see similar nonsense here on Nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Innodon(m): 1:48pm On Jan 22, 2017
So far He Don waka
Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by CriticMaestro: 1:48pm On Jan 22, 2017
chai na when we wan flex our muscle on top gambia this mumu jammeh come resign...eim get luck sha....he for dey chop dog shit now

1 Like

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by izzy4shizzy(m): 1:49pm On Jan 22, 2017
So gambians sabi speak english like this

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Segadem(m): 1:51pm On Jan 22, 2017
Hmmm
but all the condition is binded by the Gambia Constitution now.

1 Like

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Royalfurnitures: 1:53pm On Jan 22, 2017
Qa
Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by auntysimbiat(f): 1:53pm On Jan 22, 2017
HMMM
Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by sankky: 1:53pm On Jan 22, 2017
Well, I believe this is much better than a bloody civil war

9 Likes

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by AntiWailer: 1:55pm On Jan 22, 2017
No big deal.

Africa should learn to respect their Ex Presidents like America does.

There is nothing like Ex President or Former President when addressing them.

PRESIDENT is a title for life.

President Clinton.

President Obama.

President Bush.

That is what you hear where any protocol is being observed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Royalfurnitures: 1:57pm On Jan 22, 2017
Q
Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by hush15: 1:58pm On Jan 22, 2017
stexsy:
May Buhari not die........

Well,

If the President of Nigeria feels this way about The Gambia, then why can he just move on and take Nigeria out of her quagmire instead of unnecessarily digging and defaming past administrations which is hindering growth in nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Montaque(m): 1:59pm On Jan 22, 2017
This is what the opposition caused by being too mouthy and boastful immediately after their victory at the polls, forgeting the real victory is when u are sworn in. Alh. Jammeh had to take pre cautious measures.

Don't boast before victory, do that after.

3 Likes

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Royalfurnitures: 1:59pm On Jan 22, 2017
Better for them that way than to have the country thrown into war

Please check out my signature for quality and durable furniture
Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by keyanZuzer: 2:00pm On Jan 22, 2017
Sheikh Professor Alhaji Dr. Yahya A. J. J. Jammeh. See titles. With everything, Na still exile

5 Likes

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by CosmeticChemist(m): 2:00pm On Jan 22, 2017
Wetin dem write?
Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by LastSurvivor11: 2:01pm On Jan 22, 2017
How I wish God would open their eyes to see the calamity evaded, they would gladly thank ECOWAS, UN & AU...

No price is too much for peace..

2 Likes

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by HRich(m): 2:02pm On Jan 22, 2017
MrFemFem:
1. A senior friend asked me to wait 4 him in an eatery in Oshogbo. So I ordered for sumtin of ₦250(sometin a gentleman lyk me can afford)..100 amala,50 naira meat,20 pure water and 30 naira for madam keep d change.

After Eating successfully d Voluminous meal and waiting ,i noticed a rich man in agbada. About 50secs later, a man went to dis richman & told him he lost his wife & need money...Immediately, d richman gave him a millon naira cheque out of pity.(wow! I was
shocked).

Another man went in crying dat he lost his father & needed money 4 burial, this good rich
man gave him a million naira cheque too (ehn? Kini mo gbo? I CANT BE LEFT OUT). I was cooking in my mind, d type of pitiful lie I'll also tell 2 rececive my own 1 million...I summoned courage and went to d richman's front.

I told him I lost my grandfather & I need money (I was crying, shedding crocodile tears...). whileI was expecting this man to open his brief case & give me a cheque too, suddenly I heard a noise

"CUT!!! CUT!!! CUT!!! MR MAN, YOU CAN'T INTERUPT OUR FILM JUST LIKE THAT"

2. I was buying fufu at one junction while waiting for change I saw a woman with a little child. The child was walking a bit faster than the woman and the woman shouted; "Degree wait for me". I was so amazed hearing that name. So to satisfy my curiosity, I walked closer to the woman and asked; "ma, why do u call this child degree"? The woman laughed and said "I sent her mother to the University and this is what she brought home.

All this old stories just for Yahya Jammah?

3 Likes

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Coolgent(m): 2:02pm On Jan 22, 2017
I believe majority of the commentors aint even Gambians.
Anyway their National I.D card or i dont believe it

1 Like

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Abbeyme: 2:05pm On Jan 22, 2017
You mean that Jammeh guy is a Prof?

You don't mean it..
Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by magoo10(m): 2:09pm On Jan 22, 2017
I am not surprised at this I think they are trying to learn from the mistake of Nigeria's present govt who decided to probe probe and probe his predecessor with two years gone no one has been successfully convicted rather untold hardship and regrets have befallen its people.

5 Likes

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Abbycite(m): 2:15pm On Jan 22, 2017
Fair enough......is still better than plunging d country into a needless war. Ask Libyans, Egyptians and Syrians how their citizens are faring under mortal and missile attacks.

1 Like

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by Reference(m): 2:16pm On Jan 22, 2017
Democracy is not an individual, it is a system of government, so it is not about Jammeh, but about the government and people of The Gambia. To this I commend the HOS's who were instrumental in the safe, uneventful transition of power. It is highly commendable and I hope it makes a model that could work in Cameroun, Zimbabwe and other totalitarian societies ruled by autocrats that they can go without fear of being hounded.

Those who had been and are still baring their fangs over Jammeh and the whole event and feeling even now that the ex-president should be hunted down and hung should know that the wisdom of of a safe transition far out weighs the loses a rocky, strife ridden putsch will have occured if force was the first resort. Popular wisdom says a bird at hand is worth a million in tne bush and the new man will have gained power seamlessly before baring his populist 'hang Jammeh' fangs which resulted in his exile and costly delay.

Thank goodness, cooler heads prevailed. He can always get Jammeh in due time and render the much anticipated justice he promised but he should not make the mistake our present government has made, chasing the past and destroying the future in return. He should first build institutions where there are none and repair those painted in human images to work for the people. It is his good deeds that will bring the greatest justice to the people traumatised by decades of misrule and it is his example of good governance that will grant him the ultimate authority to brign Jammeh to book in the future.

Gambia just dodged a bullet. And saved Nigeria a bucket load in cash and lives. While we sent arms, Mauritania sent emissiaries. So says the different thought processes and it is obvious from where the ideas come from seeing the peace in Mauritania relative to the chaos in Nigeria which hasn't brought justice to anyone since independence. We had no business there. We have nothing to teach them.....except our sad lesson.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gambians React As ECOWAS Unveils Agreement Signed With Jammeh Which Favours Him by JimloveTM(m): 2:17pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ecowas..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boris Johnson And Carrie Symonds Welcome Baby Boy At London Hospital / Fmr. Russia President, Medvedev Replies Elon Musk's 2022 Tweet About Bakhmut / Prince Charles Responds To Prince Harry, Meghan Markle's Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.