Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Is Lagos State Overhyped? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Lagos State Overhyped? (4958 Views)

Why Is Lagos Such A Mess? / Remi Tinubu: Is Lagos Ready For A Female Governor? / Lagos@50: Is Lagos Your Success Story? (i) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Appswheel(m): 2:43pm On Jan 22, 2017
Moving to Lagos after completing my NYSC was a natural decision. I had observed my Industrial training in Lagos and was being waited upon by my grandma to join her at her Surulere residence. Grandma often said that Lagos receives an influx of new dwellers daily. This was confirmed in a statement made by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, where he stated that 2064 immigrants find their way to Lagos daily.

Described as no man’s land, a land of opportunities and the commercial nerve center of Nigeria; Lagos is a top destination for individuals in search of greener pasture. A sizeable number of my University and Secondary school mates ply their trade in Lagos. Little wonder, some school of thought argues that every Nigerian family has representation in Lagos.

Having lived in Lagos for 7 years, I can confirm that Lagos holds a lot of opportunities and promise but it is also important to state that the type of opportunities available varies and depends on individual’s skillset. At every moment, there are thousands of nanny, factory worker, receptionist, driving, sales girl and housemaid openings. These jobs pay between 20,000 – 35,000 Naira. The same cannot be said of high paying jobs with organizations’ like Chevron, Addax, Shell, Mobil, Diamond Bank etc

Are Lagosians really better off than their kinsmen living in other Nigerian towns and villages? A Lagosian who earns a monthly salary of 60,000 Naira is no better than a Non-Lagosian who earns a salary of 20,000 Naira in other Nigerian towns and villages; not factoring the stress and sweat endured by the typical Lagos worker. It is therefore safe to conclude that some Lagosians are stuck in Lagos to avoid the shame and taunt of moving back home with “nothing”.

Before you make up your mind to migrate to Lagos in search of greener pastures, bread and butter, milk and honey, you need to ponder and consider the following:

WHY ARE YOU MOVING TO LAGOS?
What do you intend to achieve in Lagos? Many individuals move to Lagos without having answer to the all-important question – “Why are you moving to Lagos”. These individuals have the false belief that life is sweeter in Lagos than other locations in Nigeria. While it is correct to say that opportunities abound in Lagos, the skills and proficiency levels of individuals are important pointers to the level of success they can achieve.

WHAT SKILLS DO YOU POSSESS?
How proficient are you in doing the things you know how to do? Are you a professional in your trade? It is important that you attain a level of expertise before “rushing” to compete with legions of people providing the same service. Moreover, it is not advisable you relocate to Lagos just for the “prestige” of living in Lagos. Will living in Lagos make a positive difference on your career, business and income?

HOW MUCH SALARY ARE YOU OFFERED?
For those who are offered employment in Lagos, it is important you consider the job location, pay and your residential location before jumping at such offer. This is more important when you currently have a job at a location outside Lagos. Your current job may hold more promise, peace of mind and profit than a Lagos job. Consider your options before taking a decision.

Lagos is a destination for acquiring certain skills owing to its status as most industrialized state in Nigeria, it is not out of place if you are Lagos bound to acquire a skill. At the end of such training, it may be wise to choose a non-Lagos location to ply your trade. The decision to remain in Lagos or not is yours to make.

For those who are stuck in Lagos and ashamed to try another location or return home, I’d advise you to explore other alternatives.

In the end, determination, focus, willpower, strong commitment levels, effective communication and good interpersonal skills are important values needed for survival in any environment. If Lagos is your choice, I wish you the best.

Source: http://ekocitymagazine.com/blog/2017/01/22/is-lagos-overhyped

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Corrinthians(m): 2:46pm On Jan 22, 2017
Lagos is overhyped, yet they would never remain in their shitty unoverhyped landlocked Villages. cheesy

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by ODDVanguard: 2:52pm On Jan 22, 2017
Definitely it is overhyped, so overhyped that some certain people covetously label her a 'no mans land'.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 22, 2017
Lagos is just overhyped even Awka is more developed than Lagos, it's just that Lagos generates more IGR than the entire five states of the erosion ridden red mud land of the falling sun.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 22, 2017
[img][/img]
Bolustic:
Lagos is just overhyped even Awka is more developed than Lagos, it's just that Lagos generates more IGR than the entire five states of the erosion ridden red mud land of the falling sun.
Lagos is no man's land. Mention the other south west states that flourish better than se. Is it ekiti wey people dey shiit for bush? Or oshun wey dem don auction for olx?

Or ibadam the brown roof republic? Or ogun the land of ritualists as we've been reading here on nl everyday? undecided

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jan 22, 2017
Funnicator:
[img][/img]
Lagos is no man's land. Mention the other south west states that flourish better than se. Is it ekiti wey people dey shiit for bush? Or oshun wey dem don auction for olx?

Or ibadam the brown roof republic? Or ogun the land of ritualists as we've been reading here on nl everyday? undecided
I said it, you guys are ignorant.

Ibadan is home to the Nigeria's most highly ranked university UI

Ogun is the fourth highest generator of IGR in Nigeria

Check this fact very well and quote me again.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jan 22, 2017
Bolustic:

Most highly ranked? UI that is slow as shiit. The body that organized the ranking did a very poor job. Perhaps they were bribed with egunje cheesy

If ogun really has high internal revenue, how come it's citizens indulge in rituals to have petty money.

Keep deluding yourselves. cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by ODDVanguard: 3:32pm On Jan 22, 2017
Funnicator:
[img][/img]

Ignore that Yoloba guy. Every state in the SE flourishes more than even Lagos. That is why every yoloba boy is running to the SE to 'huzzle'. Even Anambra IGR is more than Lagos, Ogun and Oyo combined. And Anambra has more industries than Lagos and Ogun combined. wink

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 22, 2017
Funnicator:

Most highly ranked? UI that is slow as shiit. The body that organized the ranking did a very poor job. Perhaps they were bribed with egunje cheesy

If ogun really has high internal revenue, how come it's citizens indulge in rituals to have petty money.

Keep deluding yourselves. cheesy
So the international ranking bodies such as The Times, Webometrics, 4icu collected bribes abi?

Oh Lord give these people their contry sef, hey are too dull to be called Nigerians

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 22, 2017
ODDVanguard:

Ignore that Yoloba guy. Every state in the SE flourishes more than even Lagos. That is why every yoloba boy is running to the SE to 'huzzle'. Even Anambra IGR is more than Lagos, Ogun and Oyo combined. And Anambra has more industries than Lagos and Ogun combined. wink

Scroll down.

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by ODDVanguard: 3:43pm On Jan 22, 2017
Bolustic:

Guy, why are you like this? You are talking lubbish.

6 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 22, 2017
ODDVanguard:

That is why Yorubas move there in droves to sell gala, handkerchiefs, windscreen wipers and table waters in their traffic grin grin grin

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by betterABIAstate: 3:45pm On Jan 22, 2017
Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by LasGidiOwner: 3:49pm On Jan 22, 2017
Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Appswheel(m): 4:04pm On Jan 22, 2017
Funnicator:
[img][/img]

My brother, make we focus and discuss the post, instead of derailing it on what maybe needless tribal and ethnic meme
Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by ODDVanguard: 4:05pm On Jan 22, 2017
Nna eh, don't mind those Yoloba ppl that are using yibbo names to traffick drugs all over the world and tarnish our image as hardworking people. angry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by omofunaab(m): 4:16pm On Jan 22, 2017
Okay
Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by princemillla(m): 4:20pm On Jan 22, 2017
Atleast op has joined to add to the problem of Lagos
No be by force to come lagos now if lagos no favour you kpakam go back to your Village

6 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Twistaray(m): 4:33pm On Jan 22, 2017
Appswheel:
Moving to Lagos after completing my NYSC was a natural decision. I had observed my Industrial training in Lagos and was being waited upon by my grandma to join her at her Surulere residence. Grandma often said that Lagos receives an influx of new dwellers daily. This was confirmed in a statement made by Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, where he stated that 2064 immigrants find their way to Lagos daily.

Described as no man’s land, a land of opportunities and the commercial nerve center of Nigeria; Lagos is a top destination for individuals in search of greener pasture. A sizeable number of my University and Secondary school mates ply their trade in Lagos. Little wonder, some school of thought argues that every Nigerian family has representation in Lagos.

Having lived in Lagos for 7 years, I can confirm that Lagos holds a lot of opportunities and promise but it is also important to state that the type of opportunities available varies and depends on individual’s skillset. At every moment, there are thousands of nanny, factory worker, receptionist, driving, sales girl and housemaid openings. These jobs pay between 20,000 – 35,000 Naira. The same cannot be said of high paying jobs with organizations’ like Chevron, Addax, Shell, Mobil, Diamond Bank etc

Are Lagosians really better off than their kinsmen living in other Nigerian towns and villages? A Lagosian who earns a monthly salary of 60,000 Naira is no better than a Non-Lagosian who earns a salary of 20,000 Naira in other Nigerian towns and villages; not factoring the stress and sweat endured by the typical Lagos worker. It is therefore safe to conclude that some Lagosians are stuck in Lagos to avoid the shame and taunt of moving back home with “nothing”.

Before you make up your mind to migrate to Lagos in search of greener pastures, bread and butter, milk and honey, you need to ponder and consider the following:

WHY ARE YOU MOVING TO LAGOS?
What do you intend to achieve in Lagos? Many individuals move to Lagos without having answer to the all-important question – “Why are you moving to Lagos”. These individuals have the false belief that life is sweeter in Lagos than other locations in Nigeria. While it is correct to say that opportunities abound in Lagos, the skills and proficiency levels of individuals are important pointers to the level of success they can achieve.

WHAT SKILLS DO YOU POSSESS?
How proficient are you in doing the things you know how to do? Are you a professional in your trade? It is important that you attain a level of expertise before “rushing” to compete with legions of people providing the same service. Moreover, it is not advisable you relocate to Lagos just for the “prestige” of living in Lagos. Will living in Lagos make a positive difference on your career, business and income?

HOW MUCH SALARY ARE YOU OFFERED?
For those who are offered employment in Lagos, it is important you consider the job location, pay and your residential location before jumping at such offer. This is more important when you currently have a job at a location outside Lagos. Your current job may hold more promise, peace of mind and profit than a Lagos job. Consider your options before taking a decision.

Lagos is a destination for acquiring certain skills owing to its status as most industrialized state in Nigeria, it is not out of place if you are Lagos bound to acquire a skill. At the end of such training, it may be wise to choose a non-Lagos location to ply your trade. The decision to remain in Lagos or not is yours to make.

For those who are stuck in Lagos and ashamed to try another location or return home, I’d advise you to explore other alternatives.

In the end, determination, focus, willpower, strong commitment levels, effective communication and good interpersonal skills are important values needed for survival in any environment. If Lagos is your choice, I wish you the best.

Source: http://ekocitymagazine.com/blog/2017/01/22/is-lagos-overhyped

OP, next time don't just copy and paste. The emboldened is wrong, that status belongs ogun.

Forget Lagos, Ogun is the next big thing now grin even the sons of osu and flattties are troops left,right and centre into ogun state no like their soul depend on it grin

5 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 22, 2017
LAGOS THIS LAGOS THAT....EVEN WHEN NONE OF THEIR FAMILIES HAVE A LAND IN LAGOS...

DO U GUYS KNOW HOW MANY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PARaSATAL THAT IS HOUSED IN LAGOS....

IF Nigeria is sincere, let all the federal goverment agencies headquaters be shared through all states in Nigeria...

In Nigeria, the people and development move where goverment moves to.. thats why keeping status quo Abuja might topple or be in same gap with development before 20yrs..\\

Yoroubas stop deceiving yourselves.... You guys did not develop Lagos, and No tribe can hold on to Lagos as their own in terms of development.

10 to 20 yrs from now you will be fighting for governorship role in Lagos if another tribe decide to contest againt your own.
Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Corrinthians(m): 5:06pm On Jan 22, 2017
Bolustic:

That is why Yorubas move there in droves to sell gala, handkerchiefs, windscreen wipers and table waters in their traffic grin grin grin
This op would regret creating this thread. grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Appswheel(m): 5:11pm On Jan 22, 2017
Corrinthians:
This op would regret creating this thread. grin
Interesting point of view. What makes you think so? There is nothing to regret. Its obvious that a good number of persons understood the import of the post. Compare the number of views to few misguided comments, then you'd understand there is nothing to regret.
Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Corrinthians(m): 5:15pm On Jan 22, 2017
Appswheel:

Interesting point of view. What makes you think so? There is nothing to regret. Its obvious that a good number of persons understood the import of the post. Compare the number of views to few misguided comments, then you'd understand there is nothing to regret.
Pained you are.. grin

4 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Appswheel(m): 5:20pm On Jan 22, 2017
Twistaray:

OP, next time don't just copy and paste. The emboldened is wrong, that status belongs ogun.

Forget Lagos, Ogun is the next big thing now grin even the sons of osu and flattties are troops left,right and centre into ogun state no like their soul depend on it grin
Thank you for the information. How many industries are in Ogun at the moment?
Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Appswheel(m): 5:22pm On Jan 22, 2017
Corrinthians:
Pained you are.. grin
I see.. you must be a comedian

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Twistaray(m): 5:25pm On Jan 22, 2017
ugohemma:
LAGOS THIS LAGOS THAT....EVEN WHEN NONE OF THEIR FAMILIES HAVE A LAND IN LAGOS...

DO U GUYS KNOW HOW MANY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PARaSATAL THAT IS HOUSED IN LAGOS....

IF Nigeria is sincere, let all the federal goverment agencies headquaters be shared through all states in Nigeria...

In Nigeria, the people and development move where goverment moves to.. thats why keeping status quo Abuja might topple or be in same gap with development before 20yrs..\\

Yoroubas stop deceiving yourselves.... You guys did not develop Lagos, and No tribe can hold on to Lagos as their own in terms of development.

10 to 20 yrs from now you will be fighting for governorship role in Lagos if another tribe decide to contest against your own.

Nobody is stopping you from assuming, dreaming and pulling off home made figures from your bombom. All we are asking you is...

Do it softly my bloloda cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Twistaray(m): 5:27pm On Jan 22, 2017
Appswheel:

Thank you for the information. How many industries are in Ogun at the moment?

Good question, but there are too many to mention hence I might not be able to number them.

But if you doubt what I wrote earlier, do make use of ' Google " the most industrialized state in nigeria".

Thank you cool

3 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by tollyboy5(m): 5:48pm On Jan 22, 2017
ugohemma:

10 to 20 yrs from now you will be fighting for governorship role in Lagos if another tribe decide to contest againt your own.
Good point don't you just worry we ave underground plans on cutting your influence in southwest we don't want you to come and do business here for the sake of your people. we welcome to come and do business in Lagos for the sake of our indigenes lagosians and yourself so if your growing more wings don't worry we ready to chop those extra wings away

3 Likes

Re: Is Lagos State Overhyped? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jan 22, 2017
Twistaray:

Nobody is stopping you from assuming, dreaming and pulling off home made figures from your bombom. All we are asking you is...

Do it softly my bloloda cheesy

Tell me the quarter in Lagos where u will find a huge number of yoroubas that is developed..
Before now, Lagos was the melting point of every tribe in Nigeria both your colonial masters. So when Yorubas start bragging about how it was them that made Lagos what it is, i wonder what people will like to gory on people hard work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chronic Illness: President Buhari Steps Down May 29 / Shehu Sani, Utchay Odims Honoured At African Leadership And Governance Summit / Olumba Olumba :the Secret Relationship Between GEJ And Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.