Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,676 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:55 PM

Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? (3875 Views)

I Finally Settled For The Samsung Galaxy A20: Comparing Amoled Display To Ips Lc / The Various Display Panel Types Extensively Explained: IPS, AMOLED And Retina / See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by MizMyColi(f): 12:14am On Jan 23, 2017
Honestly it's not as if I cannot search google and get answers, actually I have but the tech terminologies they used seemed too bogus for me to understand.

Okay here's a brief background...

I took interest on this matter since the day @ritababe suggested to @Bosun13 that he should buy a Tecno Phantom 6...
So Bosun replied that he does not do screens with HD IPS that he prefers AMOLED displays.

So, in my mind, I remembered that Phantom 6 screen had this strong and fluid screen/display and it definitely doesn't look inferior.
So I confirmed that Phantom 6 actually came with AMOLED, not HD IPS screen display.

But then, I desired to know the exact difference between these two displays....
The only thing I can gather is that there really isn't much difference among them as it depends on the quality that the phone manufacturer pumps into it.

Please how true is this?

cc: pcguru1 Elxandre and all.
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by kio052001(m): 12:38am On Jan 23, 2017
HD IPS display are more power friendly and they make the device sizeable

while

AMoLED displays have better displays and are in a way stronger

that's all
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by fashrola(m): 6:27am On Jan 23, 2017
This can help

Here is a brief note down of the IPS technology:

Pros:

Better response time as compared to regular LCDs
Better Color reproduction
Better viewing angle
Sharper Images

Cons:

Requires a stronger backlight
More power hungry
Screens (cell phones) are usually much thicker (bulkier) due to backlight source‎

Here is a brief note down of AMOLED technology

Pros:

No Backlight Required
Screen is slimmer, less bulky phone
No backlight, less battery usage, greater battery life
Great Contrast

Cons:

Difficult to produce, more expensive tech (Screen replacement very expensive)
Images Not as sharp as IPS
Less Bright as compared to IPS, so less daylight visibility
Display Colors Degrade over time.

But there is a Super IPS display tech already developed to counter the cons of the IPS tech and a Super AMOLED to counter the cons of the AMOLED tech.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by ritababe(f): 7:05am On Jan 23, 2017
brb
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Kondomatic(m): 7:34am On Jan 23, 2017
IPS (In-Plane Switching Liquid Crystal Display!) is to AMOLED (Active Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode) what Mediatek is to snapdragon.

No need for long story.

BTW, USING AMOLED is no guarantee that the display will be perfect or better than that of IPS. Quality of the screen go far beyond using just AMOLED. It primarily comes down to how a manufacturer applies its chosen standard.

I once compared two devices using same display and one was far ahead the other.

It all boils down to what the company can do with the techs inside.

A 2GB RAM dual core apple iPhone will outperform many 4GB RAM Quad core Android phones same way an 8MP camera on IPhone will capture a better detailed picture than a 13MP camera on Some Android phones.

I prefer SUPER AMOLED gringrin

Optimization is the key.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 23, 2017
MizMyColi:
Honestly it's not as if I cannot search google and get answers, actually I have but the tech terminologies they used seemed too bogus for me to understand.

I took interest on this matter since the day @ritababe suggested to @Bosun13 that he should buy a Tecno Phantom 6...
So Bosun replied that he does not do screens with HD IPS that he prefers AMOLED displays.

So, in my mind, I remembered that Phantom 6 screen had this strong and fluid screen/display and it definitely doesn't look inferior.
So I confirmed that Phantom 6 actually came with AMOLED, not HD IPS screen display.

The only thing I can gather is that there really isn't much difference among them as it depends on the quality that the phone manufacturer pumps into it.

Please how true is this?

To be frank I don't know about displays like that and it's hardly a factor for me when buying a phone. As long as I can see what I'm typing am okay with that

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Elxandre(m): 9:35am On Jan 23, 2017
I know what you're trying to do but kwantinue cheesy

AMOLED screens generally have somewhat sharper screens with very dark 'blacks'and higher color saturation.
they have better viewing angles sice each pixel is lit up individually.

But they are susceptible to 'burn in': some pixel in the screen getting damaged by heat.

A quality AMOLED screen is almost always better than a quality LCD screen.
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by MizMyColi(f): 10:18am On Jan 23, 2017
fashrola:
This can help

Pros:

Better viewing angle
Sharper Images

Cons:

More power hungry
Screens (cell phones) are usually much thicker (bulkier) due to backlight source‎

Pros:

No Backlight Required
Great Contrast

Cons:

But there is a Super IPS display tech already developed to counter the cons of the IPS tech and a Super AMOLED to counter the cons of the AMOLED tech.

Thank you very much bro.
Now I know why that phantom battery lasts despite the mah being kinda low
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by MizMyColi(f): 10:20am On Jan 23, 2017
Elxandre:
I know what you're trying to do but kwantinue cheesy

AMOLED screens generally have somewhat sharper screens with very dark 'blacks'and higher color saturation.
they have better viewing angles sice each pixel is lit up individually.

But they are susceptible to 'burn in': some pixel in the screen getting damaged by heat.

A quality AMOLED screen is almost always better than a quality LCD screen.

grin
Praising Phantom 6 of course! cheesy
Abi e no worth am?

But then, on a more sincere note, I needed the education. I felt others could use it too.
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by MizMyColi(f): 10:27am On Jan 23, 2017
pcguru1:

To be frank I don't know about displays like that and it's hardly a factor for me when buying a phone. As long as I can see what I'm typing am okay with that

Lol
I can relate. But then, no knowledge is wasted.
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Techm8: 11:58am On Jan 23, 2017
AMOLEDS; Each pixel has its own light emitting diode.
Characteristics: saturated colors, deep blacks, power efficient, legible under direct sunlight, thinner.

IPS; One light emitting diode illuminates the entire
panel.
Characteristics: accurate color reproduction, better viewing angles, brighter whites, sharper.

phantom 6: AMOLED
Samsung Galaxy, Note and A series: AMOLED

phantom 6+ : IPS
iPhone: IPS

The future of display: AMOLED
Personal Favorite; AMOLED.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by djtommy(m): 12:40pm On Jan 23, 2017
kio052001:

while

that's all

where did you read it that LCD panels are more sizeable than OLed?
please research very well before posting
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Techm8: 2:51pm On Jan 23, 2017
djtommy:

where did you read it that LCD panels are more sizeable than OLed?
please research very well before posting
This is actually correct.
IPS LCD have thicker terminals compared to AMOLED due to its backlight requirements.

For a thickness identical to AMOLED, IPS device manufacturers have to put in more effort and sacrifices.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Bosun13: 6:46pm On Jan 23, 2017
apple iPhone used best Ips display so far in smartphone industry...But still; they have desided to switch to amoled display in their upcoming iPhone 8....anyway. it depends on choice...but for me I prefer amoled to ips
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by MizMyColi(f): 7:03pm On Jan 23, 2017
Techm8:
AMOLEDS; Each pixel has its own light emitting diode.
Characteristics: saturated colors, deep blacks, power efficient, legible under direct sunlight, thinner.

IPS; One light emitting diode illuminates the entire
panel.
Characteristics: accurate color reproduction, better viewing angles, brighter whites, sharper.

phantom 6: AMOLED
Samsung Galaxy, Note and A series: AMOLED

phantom 6+ : IPS
iPhone: IPS

The future of display: AMOLED
Personal Favorite; AMOLED.

Uh uh
I thought both series are AMOLED.
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by MizMyColi(f): 7:04pm On Jan 23, 2017
Bosun13:
apple iPhone used best Ips display so far in smartphone industry...But still; they have desided to switch to amoled display in their upcoming iPhone 8....anyway. it depends on choice...but for me I prefer amoled to ips

Lol
Noted.
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by ShakaZullu(m): 7:18pm On Jan 23, 2017
MizMyColi:

Uh uh
thought both series are AMOLED.

see ya laifu cheesy
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by MizMyColi(f): 7:51pm On Jan 23, 2017
ShakaZullu:

see ya laifu cheesy

Lol
I never use the Phantom 6 plus before Na.
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Techm8: 8:22pm On Jan 23, 2017
MizMyColi:

Uh uh I thought both series are AMOLED.
No they not.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by just2endowed: 9:02pm On Jan 23, 2017
I think this post should hit front page. Lalasticlala what do you think?
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Brigance(m): 11:25pm On Jan 23, 2017
You can't but love what Samsung does with SuperAmoled. Mere switching on the phone in a darkly-lit space is a joy-giver.

AMOLED anytime.
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by MizMyColi(f): 11:38pm On Jan 23, 2017
Now I'm beginning to understand why some people say that P6 is more solid than p6 plus.
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Jan 23, 2017
Smart marketing strategy. Those who can read between the lines knows the actual purpose of this thread.

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Bosun13: 8:27am On Jan 24, 2017
ollah1:
Smart marketing strategy. Those who can read between the lines knows the actual purpose of this thread. ..... u mean tekino

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Abdstrakt(m): 9:34am On Jan 24, 2017
MizMyColi:
Now I'm beginning to understand why some people say that P6 is more solid than p6 plus.
I've held both devices and trust me phantom 6 display trumps the 6+.
Moving forward, Tecno should just stick with AMOLED on their flagships, even Apple will be dumping IPS soon.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by MizMyColi(f): 10:23am On Jan 24, 2017
Abdstrakt:

I've held both devices and trust me phantom 6 display trumps the 6+.
Moving forward, Tecno should just stick with AMOLED on their flagships, even Apple will be dumping IPS soon.

AMOLED for high end
IPS for low end

All in Favour say Ayegrin
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by toluwanimi07(m): 12:10pm On Jan 24, 2017
I prefer amoled displays tho

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jan 24, 2017
kio052001:

while

that's all
each have their pros and cons for instance amoled panels usually have infinite contrasts(deep blacks) and are especially power efficient when watching videos,LCDs have better color calibration and more realistic color saturation.but the fact is some devs have manage to add the pros of one into the other Samsung superamoled are considered the best bcoz it offers the punchy colors while still being color accurate,while apple and huawei have managed to make LCDs with reasonably deep black levels(not quite amoled deep though but deeper than d average LCD display)

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by paolokonqueror(m): 11:30am On Jan 30, 2017
There are actually a couple of significant differences between the AMOLED and HD IPS screens tho, The Phantom 6 is very sleek, large thanks to the AMOLED screen while the Phantom 6 + which has FHD IPS is more bulky.

MizMyColi:

Please how true is this?

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by paolokonqueror(m): 11:34am On Jan 30, 2017
Lol I think you're wrong tho, it's the AMOLED screen that's power friendly and makes the device sizeable HD IPS just has sharper images and is cheaper. I think that's why Tecno made both Phantom phones with the two so their customers will choose the one that best suits them.

kio052001:

while

that's all
Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by dejiWEST: 11:38am On Jan 30, 2017
Lol the ending of your text just makes it so hard to actually make a choice, cause both cons can be managed according to you.
fashrola:
This can help

Pros:

Better viewing angle
Sharper Images

Cons:

More power hungry

Pros:

No Backlight Required
Great Contrast

Cons:

Re: Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? by DavidoArsenal(m): 11:42am On Jan 30, 2017
Fair point tbh! But I suspect you're an Apple User, always trying to look down on Android phones. That's how La Liga fans do to the EPL. grin grin grin

I'll continue using my Tecno Phantom 6 please, forever an Android fan.
Kondomatic:
IPS (In-Plane Switching Liquid Crystal Display!) is to AMOLED (Active Matrix Organic Light-Emitting Diode) what Mediatek is to snapdragon.

No need for long story.

BTW, USING AMOLED is no guarantee that the display will be perfect or better than that of IPS. Quality of the screen go far beyond using just AMOLED. It primarily comes down to how a manufacturer applies its chosen standard.

I once compared two devices using same display and one was far ahead the other.

It all boils down to what the company can do with the techs inside.

A 2GB RAM dual core apple iPhone will outperform many 4GB RAM Quad core Android phones same way an 8MP camera on IPhone will capture a better detailed picture than a 13MP camera on Some Android phones.

I prefer SUPER AMOLED gringrin

Optimization is the key.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help Needed -receives Warning When Accessing Nairaland And Other App On My Phone / Do You Still Recall This Phone? / Glo 1GB Night Plan Data For As Low As N200

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.