Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,205 members, 7,815,196 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays (23525 Views)

I Finally Settled For The Samsung Galaxy A20: Comparing Amoled Display To Ips Lc / The Various Display Panel Types Extensively Explained: IPS, AMOLED And Retina / Do You Know The Difference Between AMOLED And HD IPS Screen Displays? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:33am On Jun 09, 2017
If you're a frequent reader of tech blogs the words AMOLED and LCD will certainly not sound strange to you. One of the biggest and most important parts of any smartphone is the display. The display is something you interact with dozens of times every day. It’s your window into the apps and tools that make up a smartphone.

Displays have gotten ridiculously good over the years, but they still fall under two types. A smartphone usually comes with either of these displays. These displays are quite different, but both have advantages. AMOLED is mostly found on Samsung phones and a few other random devices. Most smartphones, including the iPhone, come with LCD displays. The big question is

What's the difference between the two?

LCD
LCD stands for “Liquid Crystal Display.” These are the most common displays used in smartphones. Your TV and laptop probably have LCD displays. LCD is literally made from liquid crystals but that means it needs dual glass panels and a backlight. LCD displays are usually not as thin as AMOLED.
The colors are not too vibrant and the contrast isn’t very high high. Despite that, the colors generally look more realistic.
A common term that usual comes with LCD smartphone displays is “IPS,” which stands for “in-plane switching.” IPS offers wider viewing angles than other types of LCD displays, which is why it’s preferred for smartphones.

AMOLED
AMOLED is an acronym that stands for “Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode.”
The displays are made from a very thin layer of polymers that light up when given electric current is passed through it. Because of its design, AMOLED panels can be very thin and they don’t need a backlight.
AMOLED displays tend to be more energy efficient.

LCD vs AMOLED
LCD displays usually look more dull compared to AMOLED because they don’t have the same level of contrast. This is actually a good thing if you want colors to look more realistic . Another thing to compare is power consumption. AMOLED displays don’t need a backlight while LCD displays do. This makes AMOLED displays more energy efficient.
AMOLED is generally better for your eyes. Unlike LCD with its blue like display. However some LCD displays come with Miravision™ to protect your eyes but it'll never be as good as the AMOLED display

Which is better?
There are different kinds of LCD as well as AMOLED displays so I can't say anyone is better. Samsung makes great devices with AMOLED , LG makes great devices with LCD. So everything depends on user preference. Which do you prefer?

11 Likes

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:34am On Jun 09, 2017
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by smartty68(m): 6:48am On Jun 09, 2017
Nice!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by smartty68(m): 6:51am On Jun 09, 2017
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by jhydebaba(m): 7:01am On Jun 09, 2017
All flat screen TV na plasma for Naija.
Nice one.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by Gptech(m): 7:10am On Jun 09, 2017
Op, are you referring to all displays or just mobile phone display? For TVs, it's a completely different ball game, and LG in this case uses mostly Oled (Amoled is an Oled), while Samsung and others still rely mostly on LCDs. The competition between both screen type is getting more interesting by the day.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:18am On Jun 09, 2017
Gptech:
Op, are referring to all displays or just mobile phone display? For TVs, it's a completely different ball game, and LG in this case uses mostly Oled (Amoled is an Oled), while Samsung and others still rely mostly on LCDs. The competition between both screen type is getting more interesting by the day.
I'm referring to mobile bro
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by decatalyst(m): 7:34am On Jun 09, 2017
jhydebaba:
Nice one.

And all tablet and pads are iPad for my country people.

Naija is sweet jare!

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by sseunth(m): 7:35am On Jun 09, 2017
I have been a fan on samsung phones. They have mad display.

Argue with your ancestor

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by NaijaTechGuy(m): 7:53am On Jun 09, 2017
sseunth:
I have been a fan on samsung phones. They have mad display.

Argue with your ancestor
Argue with who.. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by donhils: 7:54am On Jun 09, 2017
AMOLED is the way to go. By mere looking at 2 phones with AMOLED and LCD IPS displays, you could tell that the AMOLED one looks stunning with vibrant colours.
Well done Samsung for Super AMOLED displays on smartphones.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by Techpaded(f): 8:06am On Jun 09, 2017
gracias
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:12am On Jun 09, 2017
donhils:
AMOLED is the way to go. By mere looking at 2 phones with AMOLED and LCD IPS displays, you could tell that the AMOLED one looks stunning with vibrant colours.
Well done Samsung for Super AMOLED displays on smartphones.

Samsung does pretty well on Amoled and LG does well on LCD..

5 Likes

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by NameCheckers: 8:15am On Jun 09, 2017
Rocking my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge kiss
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by NwaAmaikpe: 8:15am On Jun 09, 2017
angry
Onitsha man be like....

Kedu kwa nke bu AMU-RED?

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by Nobody: 8:15am On Jun 09, 2017
grin cheesy grin

16 Likes

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by EternalBeing: 8:16am On Jun 09, 2017
Good post.
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by Tfbaby(m): 8:17am On Jun 09, 2017
i dont't even understand what this one saying undecided

1 Like

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by 989900: 8:18am On Jun 09, 2017
jhydebaba:
Nice one.

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by sakalisis(m): 8:18am On Jun 09, 2017
Cool
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by NameCheckers: 8:19am On Jun 09, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
angry
Onitsha man be like....

Kedu kwa nke bu AMU-RED?
Maru ihe
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by Nobody: 8:19am On Jun 09, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
I'm referring to mobile bro
you wan lie Abi? You said TV somewhere there.
Make I point am?

1 Like

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by Caustics: 8:21am On Jun 09, 2017
yea. ever since i stopped using samoled i startedbseeing double
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by Nobody: 8:21am On Jun 09, 2017
BIZZWEALTH:
I will Design A Basic Company Website for 50 people for free. You are not paying me a dime. Its all for free. All you need to ensure is that we handle your hosting and domain. You will also provide your logo, images, banners and content. The Design is exclusively Free and you are not paying a dime for that.

Its a freewill for 50Persons.....

You can call or chat over whatsapp via O8O79O31474

Design concept will be based on your kind of business and it will be a basic company website just 5Pages (Home,About Us,Services, Clientele/Gallery, Contact Us) and above all it will be highly responsive. Pls if you need a dynamic website or a blog, you will have to pay for it.

Its a freewill..

It is very important that you must have your hosting and domain ready before I start the free design (Compulsorily it have to be handled by us).

Latest Free design so far www.sakhs-krates.com
you dey find project to hack abi?
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by Nobody: 8:26am On Jun 09, 2017
Sapphire glass nko
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by paskyboy: 8:26am On Jun 09, 2017
GOOD
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by BeastOfAfrica(m): 8:29am On Jun 09, 2017
nice one... I prefer AMOLED screens because of their flexibility in application especially in curved edge phones. LCD is only good for real time imagery that doesn't require too many colours

2 Likes

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by bigass123(m): 8:30am On Jun 09, 2017
Amuled kwa angry

Meanwhile you need to visit triumphclub.net if you're serious about making online
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by Nobody: 8:32am On Jun 09, 2017
Samsung Amoled screen all the way..

Rocking my Samsung Galaxy Note 5

2 Likes

Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by iluvpomo(m): 8:33am On Jun 09, 2017
LCD appears to be better?
Re: See The Difference Between AMOLED And LCD Smartphone Displays by MrImole: 8:33am On Jun 09, 2017
What of similarities?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What's Your Favorite Wallpaper (pictures) / Android 7.0 Nougat Out: What You Should Know.(pics) / Naija Smartphonomics: The Economics Of Buying A Smart Phone In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.