Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused (38392 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala' Twitter Appointment: Reno Omokri Replies El-Rufai's Tweet / "Babangida Aliyu Deceived Jonathan" - Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Appointed By Standard Chartered As Director, To Earn £130k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by doubleportion: 8:25pm On Jan 23, 2017
Olaolufred:

Okonjo and Sanusi advised saving.

Jonathan and Governors agreed.

Later, the same savings started reducing (about $7billions) without state and Lgs being in the picture.

That called for suspicion that goodluck is not sincere.

So, instead of the FG enjoying the savings meant for all, they demanded ALL ( fg, state, LGs) must have their own share.
Since Goodluck can not manage its own appetite, he is forced to share across board to satisfy everybody.

IF HE DOES NOT TOUCH THE RESERVES, STATE WOULD HAVE NO LEGAL GROUND AGAINST HIM.

A leader is one by being able to stand wise and prudent in such situation.

Obi said the truth in part, but won't say the whole for politics.
My point exactly!

3 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by FreeGlobe(f): 8:27pm On Jan 23, 2017
moscobabs:
God bless u Peter Obi. only true Igbo man

Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by APCmyheart(m): 8:32pm On Jan 23, 2017
mykeljosef:

times have changed

and i keep saying it that "no nonsense" mantra you guys hold buhari by when he leaves you'll cry

Nigerians really don't know what is going on

you really need have an insider to know the large scale corruption thats on going

take last year budget into consideration..

i really don't have time to explain to you

LOL keep deceiving yourself, What happen to last year budget?

I like explanation so tell us please..
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by 4Play(m): 8:35pm On Jan 23, 2017
obailala:
The last time there was a sharp drop in oil prices was in 2008. The drop lasted barely over 6 months and it cost Nigeria $20billion of its reserves to ensure that the economy wasnt affected. The current drop in oil prices has lasted close to 3 years, I wonder how much of savings would have really saved us. On the contrary, I think aggressive investments in key infrastructure, specifically power infrastructure and refineries is what would have made a lot of difference.

I think the savings issue has become a political football divorced from reality. It's also crucial to distinguish between 2 types of savings: fiscal savings by states/FG and forex reserves by the CBN.

Regarding fiscal savings, no amount of such saving would have saved us from a prolonged oil slump. You are talking of tens of billions - perhaps at least $100bn - for a sustained period. That would have been impossible without removing fuel subsidy and reversing the big increases in public sector wages (remember minimum wage increased from N5k to N18k). There was no appetite for that.

Forex reserves could have been accumulated - Sanusi has escaped scrutiny in this regard as it was his preference, followed by Emefiele, to maintain stable exchange rates at the expense of forex reserves. About $100bn was used to defend the Naira by the CBN.

To appreciate the folly of what the CBN did; remember that money is what it can buy. So if the CBN seeks to ensure that the Naira is stable to the dollar at N160 to $1, this is problematic if inflation in Nigeria is running at circa 10% but 0% in the US (I've used these inflation rates for illustrative purposes but they were close to actual rates between 2010 and 2014). At 10% inflation rate per year, you will need N234 in year 4 to buy what one can buy with N160 in year 1. By using forex inflows to defend the value at N160 despite inflation, you are effectively subsidising importation. This is unsustainable if the forex inflow is sourced, to a significant degree, from a volatile commodity such as oil.

Had the Naira been allowed to fall earlier, we would most likely be going into the oil slump with a weaker exchange rate but a more sustainable consumption/import profile backed up by more sizeable forex reserves. We ran too fast initially and are now catching our breath; or effectively suffocating. Economic development is like a marathon, it's about pacing yourself for the long run.

The alternate policy path I am advocating, which is something I advocated at the time, is hard for Nigerians to fathom because policy debates is dominated by elite obsession with stable exchange rates. Nigerians hooked on imports - politicians who love whizzing in and out of foreign abodes on shopping trips - prefer a stable exchange rate at all costs. It is this mindset which is I suspect is propelling our jetsetting president to insist that the Naira is not devalued even at a time any barely literate person in economics now recognises that the Naira fixed rate policy isn't working.

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by wirinet(m): 8:37pm On Jan 23, 2017
obailala:
The last time there was a sharp drop in oil prices was in 2008. The drop lasted barely over 6 months and it cost Nigeria $20billion of its reserves to ensure that the economy wasnt affected. The current drop in oil prices has lasted close to 3 years, I wonder how much of savings would have really saved us. On the contrary, I think aggressive investments in key infrastructure, specifically power infrastructure and refineries is what would have made a lot of difference.

I am surprised and embarrassed that the best panacea for economic development a Harvard trained economists like Okonjo Iweala could suggest is save, save and save. Save for what exactly? In sustained periods of depressed oil prices, how long will the saved money carry us? What happens after we have exhausted all the savings?
USA, where she got trained as an economist never advocate savings, they talk about reducing debts and deficit spendings. They owe trillions of dollars and borrowing more.

UAE that also enjoyed the oil boom never saved, instead they invested all their earnings home and abroad, so much so, that they do not care about oil anymore.
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by wirinet(m): 9:11pm On Jan 23, 2017
4Play:

I think the savings issue has become a political football divorced from reality. It's also crucial to distinguish between 2 types of savings: fiscal savings by states/FG and forex reserves by the CBN.

Yes, I agree the issue of saving became political. The PDP and the finance minister use savings as a barometer for economic success. Okonjo Iweala and OBJ used the over $60 saved from 1999 - 2007 as proof of their economic performance. She blamed current economic woes on her inability to save because of opposition by the governors.

Regarding fiscal savings, no amount of such saving would have saved us from a prolonged oil slump. You are talking of tens of billions - perhaps at least $100bn - for a sustained period. That would have been impossible without removing fuel subsidy and reversing the big increases in public sector wages (remember minimum wage increased from N5k to N18k). There was no appetite for that.

I agree with you that no amount of savings could have saved us from current economic doldrums, but I disagree with you that fuel subsidy and wage increase were the problems. Fuel subsidy or not, as long as we spend billions of dollars to import fuel, the dollar will always run away from the naira, that is not even considering that we import food and other consumer items.
How can the minimum wage remain constant in naira when all our consumption is denominated in dollars. If were consider inflation rate and exchange rate fluctuations, you will realize that absolute minimum rate has really not increased.
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by DelGardo: 9:11pm On Jan 23, 2017
mykeljosef:

times have changed

and i keep saying it that "no nonsense" mantra you guys hold buhari by when he leaves you'll cry

Nigerians really don't know what is going on

you really need have an insider to know the large scale corruption thats on going

take last year budget into consideration..

i really don't have time to explain to you

Bla Bla Bla.
You dolts just come here to spew trash. Bring your evidence or shut up.
We now have the whistle blowing act so put it to use; it is your civic duty (assuming you understand the concept, that is).

Your baseless claim that this "corruption" is know only to insiders is even a big step up from the looting cesspit that was Jonathan's government.
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by omohayek: 9:24pm On Jan 23, 2017
wirinet:

I agree with you that no amount of savings could have saved us from current economic doldrums, but I disagree with you that fuel subsidy and wage increase were the problems. Fuel subsidy or not, as long as we spend billions of dollars to import fuel, the dollar will always run away from the naira, that is not even considering that we import food and other consumer items.
Actually, 4Play is still correct. You need to account for the fact that without the subsidy, total demand for fuel would have been lower, which would have translated into reduced import demand.

As for the Naira's continuous depreciation over the years, that owes a lot more to a lack of budgetary discipline at the government level than to import demands per se. Much more stringent budgetary discipline could have kept the money supply in check and kept the Naira stronger, but at the likely cost of a severe contraction in the economy.
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by wirinet(m): 9:51pm On Jan 23, 2017
omohayek:

Actually, 4Play is still correct. You need to account for the fact that without the subsidy, total demand for fuel would have been lower, which would have translated into reduced import demand.
It is more complex than that. Removal of fuel subsidy might not necessarily reduce demand (except corruption demand). What will be the alternative to buying fuel? What ever the price, we need to run our businesses and our homes. Before the last increase, I was spending about N12,000 every week to run my office, now I spend up to N25,000, (this is despite paying NEPA bills of N10,000 monthly without seeing light for days on end.) I am still buying the same quantity of petrol I was buying before the increase.

Now, are you suggesting we park our cars at home and trek to work bease of fuel increase? As long as there are no cheaper, convenient and effective means of public transportation, demand for petrol for our cars will not reduce.

As for the Naira's continuous depreciation over the years, that owes a lot more to a lack of budgetary discipline at the government level than to import demands per se. Much more stringent budgetary discipline could have kept the money supply in check and kept the Naira stronger, but at the likely cost of a severe contraction in the economy.
My brother forget budgetary discipline, as long as we do not produce, and have to depend on imported fuel, food, drinks, simple household items like matches, tooth picks, hankerchiefs, etc. The Naira will depreciate perpetually.
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by Bullhari: 10:24pm On Jan 23, 2017
adonbilivit:
wannan iyamiri ya iya magana. amma Dan me ya shiga PDP? ya shigo APC Dan Allah

Igbo mai kiriki...wannan namune.

that's my boy. that one of the monster Fulani herdsmen
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by kernel501: 10:25pm On Jan 23, 2017
YaksonFCA:
The man made alot of senses....How I wish other IPOB people are like him?

It goes a long way to show how shallow mined Afonjas have, accusing an innocent Jonathan even when it was purely Governors decision.
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 23, 2017
Marvel1206:

I was banned grin
i think it is a clone app
search for mobdro for iphone on google you'll see.
I posted a link that was why
wow. I'll be deleting it asap. lol thanks

Sorry about the ban
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by omohayek: 11:22pm On Jan 23, 2017
wirinet:

It is more complex than that. Removal of fuel subsidy might not necessarily reduce demand (except corruption demand). What will be the alternative to buying fuel? What ever the price, we need to run our businesses and our homes. Before the last increase, I was spending about N12,000 every week to run my office, now I spend up to N25,000, (this is despite paying NEPA bills of N10,000 monthly without seeing light for days on end.) I am still buying the same quantity of petrol I was buying before the increase.
This is simply wrong. What you're suggesting is that fuel demand is perfectly inelastic, but to see that this is wrong, one only has to remember how quickly fuel queues disappeared early in 2016 upon the price increase Buhari finally approved. You personally might not change the amount of fuel you consume no matter the price, but many other Nigerians clearly do.

Now, are you suggesting we park our cars at home and trek to work bease of fuel increase? As long as there are no cheaper, convenient and effective means of public transportation, demand for petrol for our cars will not reduce.
You're confusing different issues here. This is not a matter of what I'm "suggesting", but what simple economic reasoning shows must be true. If your budget is limited, then as the price of something increases, you'll be forced to consume less of it, no matter what you, I or anyone else might say or wish.

My brother forget budgetary discipline, as long as we do not produce, and have to depend on imported fuel, food, drinks, simple household items like matches, tooth picks, hankerchiefs, etc. The Naira will depreciate perpetually.
Economics simply doesn't work the way you imagine. If Nigeria's domestic money supply is kept constant, what you're suggesting would be impossible, no matter how dependent we are on imports - and in fact Nigeria is amongst the least import-dependent countries in the world, with imports amounting to less than 11% of GDP.
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.IMP.GNFS.ZS
There is therefore no justification for suggesting that the removal of fuel subsidies, or even a complete collapse of oil exports, would have led to runaway inflation. The CBN has all the tools it needs to keep inflation in check under such circumstances, through setting the key interest rate and the reserve ratio banks are required to keep; the question is whether the population will be willing to tolerate the pain such harsh measures would entail.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by mykeljosef: 12:48am On Jan 24, 2017
DelGardo:

Bla Bla Bla.
You dolts just come here to spew trash. Bring your evidence or shut up.
We now have the whistle blowing act so put it to use; it is your civic duty (assuming you understand the concept, that is).

Your baseless claim that this "corruption" is know only to insiders is even a big step up from the looting cesspit that was Jonathan's government.

hypocrite

evidence is something this government lacks.....

that explains the high propaganda rate
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by ocelot2006(m): 4:39am On Jan 24, 2017
APCmyheart:

Why dint they force OBJ to share the money then? GEJ is too soft that's just it...

You do know that Ameachi & fashola took the GEJ administration to court, right?
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by philclaps22: 5:25am On Jan 24, 2017
i
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by davidif: 6:25am On Jan 24, 2017
Jimyn:
Nigerian leaders are too wasteful

Why won't they be wasteful when they are given a blank check each year? How can Nigeria move forward when all the states rely on allocations from the fed govt?

Until Nigeria ceases allocation, i highly doubt if it can move forward because nothing breeds laziness and corruption than giving a politician free money.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by adonbilivit: 7:22am On Jan 24, 2017
Bullhari:

that's my boy. that one of the monster Fulani herdsmen
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by kuuljay(m): 7:36am On Jan 24, 2017
adonbilivit:

ai ba duka flaties ne yan iska ba,
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by Nehemiah459(m): 7:37am On Jan 24, 2017
APCmyheart:

Bros all na formality make them go sue Buhari now..
So we have a tyrant as president?
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by nattyGENT: 7:44am On Jan 24, 2017
adonbilivit:

Same to you
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by AminuRano87(m): 8:04am On Jan 24, 2017
adonbilivit:

wannan Gaskiya ne
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by Omonigeriarere: 9:08am On Jan 24, 2017
Godprotectigbo2:

i know say u no understand the news

u just wanna shout ipod

You that understand the news, who shout the name BUHARI more when it comes to recession if not IPOB without acknowledging the fact that nothing was saved to cater for time like this by previous administration?

Even without recession, things have gone worse to the extent that Iweala borrowed till the end of GEJ's administration to pay FG workers http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2015/05/06/fg-borrows-n473bn-to-pay-salaries-okonjo-iweala/

She has even told Nigerians to prepare for hard times ahead when she has seen that reserves and FG's treasure are virtually empty coupled with fall in oil price when PMB has not even been given mantle of leadership. http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2015/06/okonjo-iweala-warns-nigeria-tough-times-ahead/

You guys needs to grow up: PMB is not the cause of recession.
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by Omonigeriarere: 9:32am On Jan 24, 2017
Chiefobdk1:

Why re afonja zombies brain slow . .

Goodluck Jonathan through okonjo iweala and sanusi adviced to save but governors through amaechi and aregbesola aka aregbese refused..

Is your functioning brain on strike or you are just typing whatever impulse you have without deep thinking?

Was it only Aregbesola and Amaechi that only constitutes Nigeria Governors Forum Body or was the money shared between both if them only? Why can't the PDP Governors reject the money too? If this happened under GEJ, why your likes shouting Buhari's name as if he was the one who mandated GEJ not to save which could have helped us a little bit in this economic challenges?

For your information, this is what you have when you have a President without a ball. OBJ saves through Iweala, why is it that GEJ can't save through same Iweala?

GEJ almost finished reserves: debt increased: FG Universities went on strike for 11 good months (the longest in Nigerian history): no refinery is working: power sector was privatised without result: more Universities were created last minute to the end of his administration while the existing ones are struggling for infrastructure. Yet, Nigerian experienced the highest PM price ($120)/barrel under his regime.

What can we show for it now and how can we increase our infrastructural development without borrowing?

We still have a long way to go.
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by APCmyheart(m): 10:22am On Jan 24, 2017
ocelot2006:

You do know that Ameachi & fashola took the GEJ administration to court, right?

But he succumb to their demand even before court decide, Like i said Why Governors no try am with OBJ? they try it then but when you are a strong president you will be a good leader..

GEJ too daft and reason they take advantage of him..

make them come try am with PMB now, Soon our reserve will rise beyond our imagination and so will our ECA and let see who will ask him to share the money..
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by APCmyheart(m): 10:24am On Jan 24, 2017
Nehemiah459:
So we have a tyrant as president?

You see what we are talking about? GEJ that act democrat lead us to where we are today..

If being tyrant will make us grow and gain back our standard and safe alot for our future am in support of Buhari..
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by ocelot2006(m): 12:21pm On Jan 24, 2017
APCmyheart:

But he succumb to their demand even before court decide, Like i said Why Governors no try am with OBJ? they try it then but when you are a strong president you will be a good leader..

GEJ too daft and reason they take advantage of him..

make them come try am with PMB now, Soon our reserve will rise beyond our imagination and so will our ECA and let see who will ask him to share the money..

No he did not succumb prior to his administration being sued by Amaechi, Fashola, and co. Why do you think NOI established the SWA? Would you have preferred if GEJ flouted the law? Yet we all talk about strengthening our judicial system(s).

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by Nehemiah459(m): 12:29pm On Jan 24, 2017
APCmyheart:

You see what we are talking about? GEJ that act democrat lead us to where we are today..

If being tyrant will make us grow and gain back our standard and safe alot for our future am in support of Buhari..
Are we now growing?
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by APCmyheart(m): 12:29pm On Jan 24, 2017
ocelot2006:

No he did not succumb prior to his administration being sued by Amaechi, Fashola, and co. Why do you think NOI established the SWA? Would you have preferred if GEJ flouted the law? Yet we all talk about strengthening our judicial system(s).

LIke i said GEJ is too weak to be a President, We all remember OBJ how he treat and handle those Governors then.

OBJ who is strong enough to ask Atiku to get out of his office..

I heard Asari Dokubo bang table on GEJ in his office sometimes ago.
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by APCmyheart(m): 12:34pm On Jan 24, 2017
Nehemiah459:
Are we now growing?

LOL see question oooo, Our reserve have been growing lately abi you no dey read news?

So many infrastructure are ongoing... Bros it take time and we will alll praise PMB..

Even your Hero say 4 yrs is too small for any Govt to fix Nigeria.

Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by Nehemiah459(m): 6:03pm On Jan 24, 2017
APCmyheart:

LOL see question oooo, Our reserve have been growing lately abi you no dey read news?

So many infrastructure are ongoing... Bros it take time and we will alll praise PMB..

Even your Hero say 4 yrs is too small for any Govt to fix Nigeria.
Guy talk true oh... Is the growth visible?
Re: Peter Obi: Okonjo-Iweala, Sanusi Begged Us To Save But We Refused by APCmyheart(m): 11:26pm On Jan 24, 2017
Nehemiah459:

Guy talk true oh... Is the growth visible?

Only the blind will not see them..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ibe Kachikwu Lied About Graduating With First Class From UNN - Premium Times / Zainab Ahmed: Economy Doing Better Than Previous Governments Under Buhari / $550m Abacha Loot: Fed Govt Set To Clear Hurdles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.