Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? (24594 Views)

Netflix Finally Acquires Popular Nigerian Sitcom / What Comedy/sitcom/romantic Comedy TV Series Are You Watching Right Now? / Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by manikspears: 7:04pm On Jan 25, 2017
dabossman:
Thanks for these memories Naptu2. I watched both Mind Your Language and Second Chance growing up. Also remember comedy shows like The Jeffersons with George and Louise, and Good Times that had Jay Jay and John Amos as their father. Then there was Different Strokes,Mixed Blessings, Sanford and Sons and the likes. The 80's was the real deal.

I was a baby during those years but I can remember faintly. There was Frank Spencer, rent a ghost, footsteps to follow, 321 contacts, tell you a story, telly match,sesame street, terra ox, super Ted etc cry .op why did you do this to me?Now I want to go back to the 90s.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 7:19pm On Jan 25, 2017
manikspears:

I was a baby during those years but I can remember faintly. There was Frank Spencer, rent a ghost, footsteps to follow, 321 contacts, tell you a story, telly match,sesame street, terra ox, super Ted etc cry .op why did you do this to me?Now I want to go back to the 90s.

Wow! You almost scrambled my brain!

You wrote "Footsteps To Follow" and the theme song immediately popped into my mind, but I couldn't remember the actual tv show. I think I've remembered it now.

That's the show that's composed of several stand alone stories about family relationships.

There's a black American family in which the father was too hard on his children, while the wife felt that there would be less problems if things were patiently explained to the kids, rather than shouting on them, beating them and constantly scolding them.

There was also another story about a little girl that became afraid of her favourite uncle because he grew a beard.

Am I right?

This was shown on the NTA between c1988-1992.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 7:25pm On Jan 25, 2017
manikspears:

Footsteps, 3-2-1 Contact, Bloodhound Gang, Mathnet.

(All late '80s/early '90s)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 7:37pm On Jan 25, 2017
dabossman:
Thanks for these memories Naptu2. I watched both Mind Your Language and Second Chance growing up. Also remember comedy shows like The Jeffersons with George and Louise, and Good Times that had Jay Jay and John Amos as their father. Then there was Different Strokes,Mixed Blessings, Sanford and Sons and the likes. The 80's was the real deal.

Only When I Laugh (I'm H-A-P-P-Y), Keep It In The Family, The Rising Damp (Rigsby), The Many Wives Of Patrick, Steptoe And Son, Father Dear Father, Doctor In The House (Mr Brown in Mind Your Language acted in this sitcom), CHiPS (California Highway Patrol), The Love Boat, Flying High, A Sharp Intake Of Breath, etc

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by manikspears: 7:39pm On Jan 25, 2017
naptu2:

Wow! You almost scrambled my brain!

You wrote "Footsteps To Follow" and the theme song immediately popped into my mind, but I couldn't remember the actual tv show. I think I've remembered it now.

That's the show that's composed of several stand alone stories about family relationships.

There's a black American family in which the father was too hard on his children, while the wife felt that there would be less problems if things were patiently explained to the kids, rather than shouting on them, beating them and constantly scolding them.

There was also another story about a little girl that became afraid of her favourite uncle because he grew a beard.

Am I right?

This was shown on the NTA between c1988-1992.
I was very small then, but I remember there was a black family, infact the only episode I can remember was one episode like that that the guy abused a group of guys then they accepted him as a friend. I may be saying nonsense but that was all I could make out of the episode. There was Ovid video,wuzie,spot Billy, dodoq. And yes NTA was all we had then but it was da bomb grin . And pls there was one series too, they were 3 kids, a white girl, a white boy and a black dude. They were a band, they were called dynamite (not sure) the song I can remember from the series is : everybody not somebody got a story on its own .pls pls remember.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by manikspears: 7:46pm On Jan 25, 2017
naptu2:

Footsteps, 3-2-1 Contact, Bloodhound Gang, Mathnet.

(All late '80s/early '90s)
Ehen, is mathnet not one Hannah babera production that teaches maths. ( silently praying it is ) a man and a woman,they do dress up and all kinds of storylines to teach maths. And as for bloodhound gang I've never heard that before but if you tell me the synopsis I may remember. Do you remember, mummy loves the planter taste planter grin .
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 7:52pm On Jan 25, 2017
manikspears:

I was very small then, but I remember there was a black family, infact the only episode I can remember was one episode like that that the guy abused a group of guys then they accepted him as a friend. I may be saying nonsense but that was all I could make out of the episode. There was Ovid video,wuzie,spot Billy, dodoq. And yes NTA was all we had then but it was da bomb grin . And pls there was one series too, they were 3 kids, a white girl, a white boy and a black dude. They were a band, they were called dynamite (not sure) the song I can remember from the series is : everybody not somebody got a story on its own .pls pls remember.

Is this the band that you are referring to? (This was shown in the mid 1980s).

"Dynamite" was said by Gorilla Goriddle on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIYJVW-gPnY
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 7:54pm On Jan 25, 2017
manikspears:

Ehen, is mathnet not one Hannah babera production that teaches maths. ( silently praying it is ) a man and a woman,they do dress up and all kinds of storylines to teach maths. And as for bloodhound gang I've never heard that before but if you tell me the synopsis I may remember. Do you remember, mummy loves the planter taste planter grin .

Mathnet is a parody of the famous detective show Dragnet. A man and a woman solve cases using mathematics.

Bloodhound Gang were a group of kids that were private investigators. They often (though not always) used science to solve cases.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 7:56pm On Jan 25, 2017
manikspears:

The Bloodhound Gang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-2PskuG_44
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by deife(m): 7:57pm On Jan 25, 2017
Ishilove:
I have. Thanks, sir.
You're welcome, Madam.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 7:58pm On Jan 25, 2017
manikspears:

Mathnet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_eBFzNLsGk
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by deife(m): 7:59pm On Jan 25, 2017
dabossman:

You're da Boss!
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by deife(m): 8:04pm On Jan 25, 2017
naptu2:

Mathnet is a parody of the famous detective show Dragnet. A man and a woman solve cases using mathematics.

Bloodhound Gang were a group of kids that were private investigators. They often (though not always) used science to solve cases.

I admire your intelligence quotient and good memory sir.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 8:05pm On Jan 25, 2017
deife:

I admire your intelligence quotient and good memory sir.

Thanks.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by manikspears: 8:15pm On Jan 25, 2017
naptu2:

Mathnet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_eBFzNLsGk
Awwww, never seen mathnet in my life. But thanks I'm downloading it and definitely getting more episodes.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by manikspears: 8:18pm On Jan 25, 2017
naptu2:

The Bloodhound Gang.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-2PskuG_44
Never seen it before o, I'm downloading it now.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by manikspears: 8:23pm On Jan 25, 2017
naptu2:

Is this the band that you are referring to? (This was shown in the mid 1980s).

"Dynamite" was said by Gorilla Goriddle on the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIYJVW-gPnY
On a great space coaster off we go grin.it new gnue. cheesy. I watched it on one Arabian channel of in 2000.but I don't think this is it, because that one has something to do with France or tower,there were 2 guys dressed like Michael Angelo. Or so.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 1:16pm On Jan 26, 2017
manikspears:

On a great space coaster off we go grin.it new gnue. cheesy. I watched it on one Arabian channel of in 2000.but I don't think this is it, because that one has something to do with France or tower,there were 2 guys dressed like Michael Angelo. Or so.

Great Space Coaster was shown on the NTA c1983-c1987.

The show you are looking for, was it a cartoon, live action show or puppet show?
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by manikspears: 1:40pm On Jan 26, 2017
naptu2:

Great Space Coaster was shown on the NTA c1983-c1987.

The show you are looking for, was it a cartoon, live action show or puppet show?
live action show
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by manikspears: 11:42am On Jan 27, 2017
manikspears:

live action show
do you remember this logo?

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 6:30am On Jan 28, 2017
manikspears:

HOLY GOD!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I've not thought of this show in ages! Wow!

The answer to your question (if you turn the logo sideways, you'll see the name of the show) is Vision On.

By the way, do you remember the Chuckle Hounds/Chuckle Brothers?
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 6:36am On Jan 28, 2017
manikspears:

Vision On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyWKcgmHwpo

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 6:39am On Jan 28, 2017
manikspears:

Do you remember Jason Of Star Command?
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by dfrost: 7:10am On Jan 28, 2017
dabossman:
Thanks for these memories Naptu2. I watched both Mind Your Language and Good Times that had Jay Jay and John Amos as their father. The 80's was the real deal.

“O, blimey”

Jay Jay always smashing the eggs in his pocket grin

80's was the real deal like you said. I'm definitely taking my kids there.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 7:29am On Jan 28, 2017
dabossman:

dfrost:

“O, blimey”

Jay Jay always smashing the eggs in his pocket grin

80's was the real deal like you said. I'm definitely taking my kids there.

Catch phrases

"Dynomite!" (J.J. - Good Times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v19PpD5uqL0

"Watchu talkin' 'bout Willis"? (Arnold - Different Strokes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le6qeMe7-vM

"It's a big one! Do you hear that Elizabeth? I'm coming to join you". (Fred Sanford - Sanford And Son)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdi-1tIUhM

"O blimey"! (Ali - Mind Your Language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0PKovRedvQ

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by dabossman(m): 6:47pm On Jan 31, 2017
True classics. I need to find them and download, then binge watch over several weekends.

naptu2:

Catch phrases

"Dynomite!" (J.J. - Good Times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v19PpD5uqL0

"Watchu talkin' 'bout Willis"? (Arnold - Different Strokes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le6qeMe7-vM

"It's a big one! Do you hear that Elizabeth? I'm coming to join you". (Fred Sanford - Sanford And Son)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stdi-1tIUhM

"O blimey"! (Ali - Mind Your Language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0PKovRedvQ

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by nnamdiosu(m): 2:34am On Jun 29, 2021
naptu2:

Concerning mathnet, it was a short part in a main program called square one. Remember square one naptu2?

Please do you have a video link for the footsteps to follow program? I've searched the whole internet, can t see one.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 2:46am On Jun 29, 2021
nnamdiosu:

Concerning mathnet, it was a short part in a main program called square one. Remember square one naptu2?

Please do you have a video link for the footsteps to follow program? I've searched the whole internet, can t see one.

Yeah, both Bloodhound Gang and Mathnet were segments. Bloodhound Gang was a segment in Contact, while Mathnet was a segment in Square One.

No, I haven't found a video of Footsteps yet.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by nnamdiosu(m): 7:30am On Jun 29, 2021
naptu2:

Yeah, both Bloodhound Gang and Mathnet were segments. Bloodhound Gang was a segment in Contact, while Mathnet was a segment in Square One.

No, I haven't found a video of Footsteps yet.

Ok. Thanks.

Do you recall old nta programs like juniors debate? Early version of morning ride. Kiddie vision 101? I really ache for those times.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 2:00pm On Jun 29, 2021
nnamdiosu:

Ok. Thanks.

Do you recall old nta programs like juniors debate? Early version of morning ride. Kiddie vision 101? I really ache for those times.

Yeah, I remember Morning Ride with Danladi Bako. I made a thread about it some years ago. I also wrote about Kiddie Vision 101 in my thread about Nigerian child stars.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by nnamdiosu(m): 6:20pm On Jun 29, 2021
naptu2:

Yeah, I remember Morning Ride with Danladi Bako. I made a thread about it some years ago. I also wrote about Kiddie Vision 101 in my thread about Nigerian child stars.

Yh. I read it. You wrote aboutq derenle hosting it as a kid then right? (Kiddie vision 101)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Academy Awards - Oscars 2022 (Full List Of Winners) / Your Most Boring TV Shows Currently Airing / Dupsy Abiola, MKO 's Daughter Appearance On Dragons Den UK (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.