Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. (2658 Views)

Editorial: The SEGA Brand; The Journey So Far. / Editorial: The Gaming Industry / How Much Does The Xbox Cost In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 4:09pm On Nov 29, 2009
If you were a active visitor of the game section, you must have seen similar article on the playstation brand, you can  Read the Editorial here   It time to know more about the xbox.

The xbox brand was not strong until after 2005 when the original xbox failed to prove it self as a gaming console and was eventually dropped by Microsoft and third party developers. The whole journey started, almost a year after Sony had released the playstation 2 and the playstation had longed become a household name around the globe. The xbox was actually more powerful than the playsation 2, it was a reliable machine, but it failed to attract the interest of developers, thus there were a general lack of games. The xbox which was released in 2001 got so many things wrong, ranging from the massive controller, to bulky unattractive console, but the Pad was a beast for first person shooter FPS.

THE xbox console featured a variety of advanced capabilities such as a hard drive for saving games, and the ability to connect to the internet. such connections enabled players to download more advanced level of play, additional character and to play, with other users. Halo which was originally showed to Sony, didn't get the desired love, when showed to Microsoft and eventually developed, it became the highest selling exclusive game of the xbox.

In 2005, Microsoft release the xbox 360,some might say it was released earlier than the ps3, so it could gain enough market share, sure, it did get enough market share, but the rush lead to production of the most unreliable gaming console in history, with the inFAMOUS red ring of death and Error74 e74. Microsoft had everything going smoothly, but its hopes of wining one gaming generation was soon dashed, as the Nintendo Revolution Now called wii, annihilated it in sales, Microsoft had everything at their disposal to win, but they couldn't arrange their cards well, Out of desperation, Microsoft cut the price of the xbox360 to $199 and removed the HDD, it failed to create the desired effect, Microsoft was poised never to give up, they began buying exclusives and subsequently shut down 3 of their first party studios, left with only 3. It failed also, as most of the third party Exclusives could also be played on a pc and most of them found their way to the PS3 console with a more enhance version and more contents hence the reason why some people even called the xbox360 the beta testing machine. Ever since the xbox360 lunched, Microsoft has been so vigorous and desperate with the competition. In the early days LIVE was far more superior to the playstation network, but things have since changed, as you can not undermine the power of the playstation network. Microsoft definitely has the edge in marketing and advertising game, sometimes advertising multiplatform games as it was only available to the xbox,  Microsoft supported the toshiba HD-DVD, but the format failed as well, Microsoft also failed by placing a 6GB DVD-dl as it gaming format, which was even smaller than the original xbox DVD. So some games now come in two to three Disc.

Microsoft last hope to regain buyers attraction would be project Natal, but if it fails it would be disastrous, since Microsoft has lost over $9 billion since they started the gaming division.

Honestly speaking the competition is good for the industry, as it has made these companies work harder to produce better gamming experience, so it's a win win situation for us - consumers

Editoral on Nintendo and Sega coming soon.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by texazzpete(m): 5:33pm On Nov 29, 2009
For a second i thought it was a copy and paste job, until i saw from the extremely poor quality of the writeup that it was your own creation.

Kosovo, stop writing editorials. From the spelling mistakes to the plethora of misleading information, this editorial is essentially worthless.

Stop trolling for Sony and focus on games! Games on the PS3, Xbox 360, the Wii, the PSP, hell even on the iPhone.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by ritchboy(m): 7:41pm On Nov 29, 2009
This is by far the worst write up i have read in my life. BLOODY HELL!
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 10:13pm On Nov 29, 2009
when the truth comes, the insecured have no place to hide cheesy
   Fair and balanced Kosovo . . .

@ritchboy,
   is that the best you can do?

@texazzpete
  you seems to amaze me, first it was Kosovo, copy and paste, now it's kosovo, u need to go play some games,
  but but kosovo has played over 1000 games,
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by texazzpete(m): 6:51am On Nov 30, 2009
Kosovo
You don't seem to get it. this 'editorial' is an embarrassment to anyone, not just you. It is so patently biased, non-objective and filled with tons of rubbish and non-factual information that it really puts you to shame.
it also goes to show EVERYONE that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

As a friend, i'd advise you to lie low for a while.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 12:45pm On Nov 30, 2009
texazzpete:

Kosovo
You don't seem to get it. this 'editorial' is an embarrassment to anyone, not just you. It is so patently biased, non-objective and filled with tons of rubbish and non-factual information that it really puts you to shame.
it also goes to show EVERYONE that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

As a friend, i'd advise you to lie low for a while.

if you can pin point any thing i said wrong, i will sure stay LOW,
i love advices cheesy
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by texazzpete(m): 5:12pm On Dec 02, 2009
kosovo:

if you can pin point any thing i said wrong, i will sure stay LOW,
i love advices cheesy

Almost everything is wrong with the editorial, mon ami. Can't start listing them all.

Besides, can't spend too much time on Nairaland. The wife may not like me typing too much on our honeymoon. grin
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 5:57am On Dec 04, 2009
thank you, i am not staying low,
No evidence to your claim.
wow,, your Wife,
we ll talk later cheesy grin
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by Vacora(m): 11:20am On Dec 04, 2009
The XBOX 360 is still trucing PS3 in worldwide sale figures, the Xbox Live is far superior to your PSN - even PS3 fanboys including yourself have complained about it. I won't gloat about XBOX 360 RROD if i were you, i am sure you are aware of PS3's Yellow light of death, most importantly your console is still playing catch-up. The best selling console at the moment is the Wii.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by init4dmoni(m): 3:16pm On Dec 04, 2009
hells no!!!!
u've already started abusing ur power tongue
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 7:44pm On Dec 04, 2009
Vacora:

The XBOX 360 is still trucing PS3 in worldwide sale figures, the Xbox Live is far superior to your PSN - even PS3 fanboys including yourself have complained about it. I won't gloat about XBOX 360 RROD if i were you, i am sure you are aware of PS3's Yellow light of death, most importantly your console is still playing catch-up. The best selling console at the moment is the Wii.

lols, 
when the  PS3 was $600 it was till outselling the xbox360 yearly
   every month the ps3 outsells the xbox by over 200,000 units in Japan, final fantasy and Gran torismo is not even out,  meanwhile Xbox 360 Biggest franchise, 'HALO' have already been released.
  Now, the xbox 360 is still $100 cheaper, yet the PS3 is annihilating it  sales in USA,  the hOME of microsoft
  How about Europe? the xbox360 had 1 1/2 year lead, yet PS3 has overtaken it by over 1 million units,
  Did u see what happened at Black friday? lols cheesy check!
Microsoft could not even release their sales numbers,  - pathetic.
   Bluray is going mainstream next year.
   Sony now advertise drastically.
   The price is now at the sweat point. Now $299.
   20 first party studios bringing AAA games and New IPs for Sony.

Only ignorance would make someone not to see Sony's Dominance in the industry,
     Sony Brought out the PS3 at a starting price of $600, when the PS2 started with $300 and  in the middle of a Global economic melt down.
     Yellow ring of death is less that 7%
      RROD = 60%, Error 74? ouch!  the most unreliable gaming console     ever made.
     Imagine the wii or the 360 starting at $600? lols,  No hope!

init4dmoni:

hells no!!!!
u've already started abusing your power tongue
     Try harder Next time,  cheesy
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by Vacora(m): 9:11pm On Dec 04, 2009
Kosovo, the more you write, the more i am inclined to think that you do not know what you are talking about. Sony is not dominating the game consoles war, the Wii is the number one game console outsellling both the XBOX 360 and PS3.
PS3 is still playing catch up, they may be dominating the Japanese market after all it is Sony's home advantage however telling me the PS3 is outselling XBOX 360 is the states and Europe is a fallacy. You Sony Fanboys keep talking about the Blu Ray player, at the moment i have got the most expensive paper weight - my Xbox 360 HDD but the blu ray is not selling that well in the US. Sony is even struggling in the High Definition TV market and you talk about dominance?
I have owned an XBOX 360 Elite since 2007 and my first RROD was about two months ago, i sent the console off to the microsoft repair centre and it was fixed and returned in less than two weeks free of charge - at least Microsoft have put their hands up to that issues which is being sorted out as we speak but Sony is not being totally honest with the yellow light of death on PS3 - be honest and admit that it is a hardware issue on both parts.
Why the price drop in the PS3 i ask you? simple: Sony is struggling and they finally took Microsoft's advice in March 2009 to drop the price of the console due to the economic downturn.
I am not ignorant sir and i do not hide behind inflated and bogus statistics, my advice to you is try to be a little objective in your posts on this section, let the audience or readers or users decide for themselves and you trying to ram stuff down our throats isn't helping either.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by BSD: 9:19pm On Dec 04, 2009
Wii is the best selling(but sales are declining drastically), no doubt about that.  But any serious gamer would never buy one.  They appeal more to novice gamers and people that would not normally play video games. 

This is from an article I recently read:

In September, Nintendo confirmed it would cut the price of its best-selling Wii by $50, bringing the total console price to just under 200 bucks. Nintendo said at the time that the drop would make the Wii “even more appealing.”

But a new set of sales figures from the week ending Nov. 28 tell a different story. According to Nintendo, the number of Wii units sold during Thanksgiving week dropped some 30 percent this year to 550,000 units.

That’s still more than Microsoft and Sony – Sony sold 440,000 consoles – but a far cry from the approximately 800,000 units Nintendo sold in 2008.

“These are weak numbers,” Etsuko Tamura, a Tokyo- based analyst at Mizuho Investors Securities Co., told Bloomberg News. “Wii sales are slumping.”

Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by Vacora(m): 9:47pm On Dec 04, 2009
@ BSD : I wasn't aware of the declining sales. Some serious gamers i know have it as a sort of party novelty and wives or girl friends love Wii Fit.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by BSD: 10:00pm On Dec 04, 2009
I have a Wii. It can fun for when we have parties or family over.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 11:44pm On Dec 04, 2009
@Vacora
   We should not be arguing on this issue. it is clear that you are unaware of the gaming industy,, i have been following it for over 10 years,  okay?.
   you say PS3 is not out selling the xbox 360? can you tell me how the 10.5 Million lead Xbox360 had Before the PS3 lunched one year later in US and Japan and one and a half years in Europe has suddenly turned to less than 6 Million lead in less than 3 years?
    Look for a math teacher, so you can start all over again,

i Repeat, Halo is xbox Biggest franchise and it's Out,
Grand torismo IS PS Biggest franchise and it's not OUT,
   GT5 alone can move millions of consoles,
it is the highest selling single exclusive on one platform - 53 million copies Sold - check
  Final fantasy is projected to sell over 500,000 PS3 in Japan Alone.

I have owned an XBOX 360 Elite since 2007 and my first RROD was  about two months ago, i sent the console off to the microsoft repair centre and it was fixed and returned in less than two weeks free of charge - at least Microsoft have put their hands up to that issues which is being sorted out as we speak
    yes, they created another chipset that brought about the ERROR 74,  lols
   $3BILLION in warranty? and you think Microsoft is happy with that? think again!

XBX360 IS THE MOST UNRELIABLE GAMING CONSOLE IN HISTORY - check

there is no way to spin that!
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by Nobody: 12:40am On Dec 05, 2009
For $299 trust you'll get the very best gaming experience. Just buy a PS3 please and see what I'm talking about. If you have a PS3, I can give you some of my PSN games free. You'll be blown away. MAG is rounding up online gaming experience with 258 players online at the same time. That my friends isn't possible on the any other console of this generation
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by texazzpete(m): 8:43am On Dec 05, 2009
9jaganja:

y. MAG is rounding up online gaming experience with 258 players online at the same time. That my friends isn't possible on the any other console of this generation

Why are some of you so stupid enough to believe all the FUD spread by Sony? Pound for pound, there's almost nothing either consoles can do that the other cannot. This should be extremely obvious to anyone apart from terminal trolls.

Me, i own all the 3 consoles. Each one provides a compelling gaming experience. Any difference in processing and graphical power is minimal at best.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by Nobody: 9:10am On Dec 05, 2009
hmm hmm. Please!!! I doubt you own any of the three, if you do and you know how online gaming works, you'll know first of all that wii is not a new Gen console, then you'll know 258 player on one server isn't possible on 360. I own the 360 too and you can do it a big favour by comparing it to the wii not PS3. And don't be playing anti fanboy saint here, I've seen your other posts.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 2:19pm On Dec 05, 2009
@TEX
  MAG is Never possible ON the xbox360!
  End of statement,
  Even Gears 2  XBL had issues,
PSN has handled Resistance 2 - 60 online players . . .

PSN - Free online play for everyone with lagfree dedicated servers makes a mockery of Microsoft's shoddy 50 dollar a year laggy P2P based online service. And the massive success of the Home online that is already up to around 9 million users at last count is just salt in the wound for Microsoft and their creepy Nintendo Mii clone

Microsoft has almost nothing other than milking the old Halo franchise to combat the Sony PS3 exclusive juggernaut that is in full force now and won't stop for another six or seven years.

What is crazy is to think that the PS3 has done all this while being more expensive than the PS2 was at launch and only now has reached the 299 launch price of the PS2.

@9jaganja. . . MAG is 256 players smiley
   and recently got the TEENS ratings!
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 2:24pm On Dec 05, 2009
IF Natal Fails. . .  it would just increase the $9BILLION loss from Microsoft Gaming department. . . .
  its like Sony creating an OS . . they ll fail stupidly!
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by vowiski(m): 6:32pm On Dec 05, 2009
i doubt if Microsoft share holders would allow for xbox720.
  that would be another epic failure.
Microsoft please concentrate on your software and OS business.
   Bing failed to give Google a tough time
   Internet explorer has most security vulnerability hence Mozila firefox has overtaken it in    Europe
   Window 7 has lots of bugs and as such you have started working on Windows 8. so soon!
Zune is a colossal failure
   Xbox 360 AT $199 could not outsell Nintendo wii and a higher price. before it had a price cut about 2 months ago.
   for FOUR years you can not find a lasting solution to RROD.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by init4dmoni(m): 10:18am On Dec 06, 2009
see all this junkies!!!
i've played frontlines :of war with 49 other people tongue
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 10:37am On Dec 06, 2009
@ init4dmoni
init4dmoni:

see all this junkies!!!
i've played frontlines :of war with 63 other people. . . .YES 63 OTHER PEOPLE ONLINE on the 360=64 online players
with no lag whatsoever!!
suck on that!!  tongue
  Your comment is embarrassing to the gaming community, pls stop looking like a dumb ass kid.
Even Microsoft is aware of their LAG full P2P servers,
  Even Natal has LAG. lols
  BUT the PlayStation motion control brings 1:1 lag free motion sensing experience.
  How about Sony recent Emotion control patent?.
     like no other.

@Vacora
Wii is the number one game console outsellling both the XBOX 360 and PS3.
PS3 is still playing catch up
   Yes wii is a success story,  but it's not considered as Current- gen - it can't even handle the screen shot of killzone 2.
     For more than one year,  Xbox 360 was $199 and  the PS3 was $499. yet PS3 outsold the xbox360 worldwide. how are you going to spin that?
      Microsoft has just one console in the market,  and can't control it
while Sony still has 3 consoles in the market that are selling well and has been supporting them with AAA games, thanks to their massive 20 First party studios  which is bigger than both Nintendo and Microsoft combined.

December 17th. Japan would go crazy. the PS3 would outsell the wii in japan this year,
  thanks to Final fantasy.

This year Sony has already outsold the xbox360 in the US, destroyed it in European total sales( even with the one and half year xbox360 advantage and a very low price even cheaper than the wii) and annihilated it Japan.
   If you read my Editorial on the Playstation Brand, you would know what happens every third year of the Playstation,  so this is not surprising. cheesy
Like Sony Has always said. - 'This race is a MARATHON'
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 10:56am On Dec 06, 2009
@init4dmoni
see all this junkies!!!
i've played frontlines :of war with 63 other people. . . .YES 63 OTHER PEOPLE ONLINE on the 360=64 online players
with no lag whatsoever!!
suck on that!!  Tongue

Edited version. lols

init4dmoni:

see all this junkies!!!
i've played frontlines :of war with 49 other people  tongue

YOU were  caught right on spot, why bother to post when you have no idea of what you are talking about. NOW you sure look like a dumb ass kid.
  pls stop writing and stop looking like a JOKE. cheesy
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by init4dmoni(m): 7:40pm On Dec 06, 2009
kosovo:

@init4dmoni
Edited version. lols

YOU were  caught right on spot, why bother to post when you have no idea of what you are talking about. NOW you sure look like a dumb ass kid.
  pls stop writing and stop looking like a JOKE. cheesy
uhm. . . . i'm not sure that's part of ur job as a mod tongue
wateva mehn!!. . . i've actually only played with 7 other people and it lagged as hell grin(i'm in nigeria, duh!!!!)
i know the 360 hasn't got a good reputation but its still a good great console smiley
i might even get the ps3 slim this Christmas wink its all good
btw i couldn't care less what i looked liked here. . . . its the internet tongue
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 10:20pm On Dec 06, 2009
init4dmoni:

uhm. . . . i'm not sure that's part of your job as a mod tongue
wateva mehn!!. . . i've actually only played with 7 other people and it lagged as hell grin(i'm in nigeria, duh!!!!)
i know the 360 hasn't  got a good reputation but its still a good great console smiley
i might even get the ps3 slim this Christmas wink its all good
btw i couldn't care less what i looked liked here. . . . its the internet  tongue
                 yea,  .
i never this to happen so sudden cheesy
well i have learnt to respect everyone opinion.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by Vacora(m): 12:43am On Dec 07, 2009
@ Kosovo
XBOX 360 outsold Ps3 for 2 years buddy! figures in for black Friday and you're gleefully rejoicing like a teenage cheerleader, you might as well bring out the pompoms and mini skirt because PS3 sale figures improved in America partly due to the $100 walmart vouchers. I am yet to experience any game lags you have erroneously or perhaps deliberately attributed to XBL. and i have hosted games without any hitches with players all over the world.
And as moderator you are awfully biased and your constant bashing of the 360 is quite infantile, one-sided, poorly researched and a tad irritating. Just because i choose not buy a PS3 does not make me less intelligent or media savvy - so quit the bollocks about your pseudo-love for gaming.

"Freedom is a road seldom travelled by the masses" - Malcolm X
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 4:52am On Dec 07, 2009
Vacora:

@ Kosovo
XBOX 360 outsold Ps3 for 2 years buddy! figures in for black Friday and you're gleefully rejoicing like a teenage cheerleader, you might as well bring out the pompoms and mini skirt because PS3 sale figures improved in America partly due to the $100 walmart vouchers.  I am yet to experience any game lags you have erroneously or perhaps deliberately attributed to XBL. and i have hosted games without any hitches with players all over the world.

"Freedom is a road seldom travelled by the masses" - Malcolm X
  i ask the question again, if the xbox 360 outsold the PS3 for 2 years in a row, how come the 10.5 Million lead, the xbox had has shrunk to less than 6 million?
  Do you think USA = world?
if you can not answer my question, then obviously you know not what you are talking about, or you had better take some math classes. cheesy

Didnt the Xbox 360 have deals also? 2 controllers and 6 games bundled for $299
    PS3 1 controller and 2 games bundled. what are you talking about?
All three companies had various deals with different retailers.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by ritchboy(m): 4:42pm On Dec 07, 2009
I thought i had seen the height of stupidity but kosovo just executed a gravity defying back flip over it with consummate ease. cheesy
the weight of false information on this thread can lower the vertical position of earth grin grin
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by texazzpete(m): 3:42pm On Dec 08, 2009
9jaganja:

hmm hmm. Please!!! I doubt you own any of the three, if you do and you know how online gaming works, you'll know first of all that wii is not a new Gen console

Don't beef just because you ain't got the dough. Grow up and get a job and i'm sure you'll be able to get any of the others you want.
The Wii is a next-gen console automatically since it's a generation after the Gamecube. it's graphics horsepower does not matter. In fact, among all the 3 main gaming consoles it's the only one that came out of the box with a radical departure from the previous generations (with its motion controls)
In fact, there's no such thing as 'next-gen' at this point. The Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 are all current gen (you'd think that a console being out for 3years would make it no longer 'next-generation')

9jaganja:

then you'll know 258 player on one server isn't possible on 360. I own the 360 too and you can do it a big favour by comparing it to the wii not PS3.

Everyone in the gaming industry agrees on one simple fact; as far as online console gaming is concerned, Xbox Live has no equal. Sure, PSN is improving everyday, but it isn't there yet.
Compare the 360 to the Wii? I don't know what you're smoking, son, but roll me some ASAP. That's some real potent shit.
FYI, the Xbox 360 has produced better visuals than the PS3 in most cases in multiplatform games.

9jaganja:

And don't be playing anti fanboy saint here, I've seen your other posts.

Kindly produce any of my posts that buttress your point above. Do it ASAP or remain a liar.
Re: Editorial: The Xbox Brand; The Journey So Far. by kosovo(m): 10:54pm On Dec 17, 2009

(1) (2) (Reply)

First FIFA 19 Gameplay Video Leaked For PS4 / What Sites Can I Download Free Pc Games Online / Download Free Pes & Fifa 2008 Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.