Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,549 members, 7,955,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 03:09 PM

Is This How Rich They Have Become? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is This How Rich They Have Become? (1337 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This How Rich They Have Become? by whiteroses(f): 10:57pm On Nov 29, 2009
only in naija do poor people shakara for the rich i was so annoyed, just came back on holiday in naija, if you see how rude these market women have become, they all need a wake up call on principles of business. everywhere i go , they all roll their eyes at me, i've learnt they usually increase the price and you have to negotiate, this lady told me a slippers was N700 and i said can i pay 500 and she says "auntie edakun e sun siwaju bata kini N500" what? i wanted to cry, at first i was confused and  later realised i've offended her by negotiating,
i knew a small face powder is N25 and the retailer claims its 30 i said ok bye i'm gone and she lashed at me "is it because of N5, stingy! do they think they are doing me a favour by selling to me?

btw this was aleshinloye market in ibadan and before i travelled they always call you to buy from them but now they dont have any respect for anybody. and if a transaction should go smooth they wont even say thank you and always trying to scam you. But by the time i spent 4 weeks in nigeria even me i developed tough skin, one girl started abusing me at  answani market in lagos when i stepped her goods to avoid a trailer from running me over, she goes "awe koshi lo"  i replied, oshi ere ni? emi o makin sh'omo ile yii, maa gba oju e" she calms down instantly lol (i was happy to speak back in ghetto attitude as they do lol)

but i remeberd a funny one, when a boy says auntie buy my scotch egg and i said no thank you next time, and he said God forbid you catch me here next time selling scotch egge grin

sorry if you havent had this rudeness from naija market cos ibadan people are exclusively rude  but i just cant help but share how gobsmacked i was at their attitude lol

1 Like

Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by maedan(f): 11:02pm On Nov 29, 2009
LOL, really funny, esp the scotch egg fellow. Thanks for the heads up, I'll mind myself when ever I breeze into the Naija market. Cos me I no dey slack for my own snappy comeback grin tongue.
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by whiteroses(f): 11:07pm On Nov 29, 2009
^^^ i dont even know what their problem is, and yeah only the people that get mouth can survive the market setting even next time i go i will be ready for them lol
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by maedan(f): 11:21pm On Nov 29, 2009
Yes o. Noone should try me tongue. I mean we're not asking for hero-worship but geez it's my @*%&!! money. Whether I'm buying gala or the latest gele, at least give me the "customer" respect grin wink.
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by Nobody: 12:12am On Nov 30, 2009
They will increase the price for anyone. It is your duty to haggle the price despite the insults. cheesy You're right though, they're very rude. All the things you learned about customer service, better throw it away before you get to the market. Don't think anyone will treat you like a queen. You need a thick skin to survive. Best thing to do is to have a special seller you buy from. cheesy
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by davidif: 4:56am On Nov 30, 2009
sorry if you havent had this rudeness from naija market cos ibadan people are exclusively rude but i just cant help but share how gobsmacked i was at their attitude lol

ha ha ha ha, anyone can see that you are janded from mile away.
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by iice(f): 11:56am On Nov 30, 2009
It seems to be happening around the world. They don't want to give you a bargain. I usually just move on. . .and if na stingy, so be it. Hope they choke on the N5 grin
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by jaybee3(m): 12:00pm On Nov 30, 2009
I can't be asked to start bargaining with them. I usually just look at what they are selling at what i'm prepared to pay for it and if it appears exuberant then i just keep stepping.
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by Parohfrey(f): 12:01pm On Nov 30, 2009
when next you go back to Europe or America and you go to supermarkets, when you see a price label, tell them you know the price and start bargaining with them, see if you wont have them call the police on you instead. But because it is in Nigeria, you can price them out of their cost price and you want them to be laughing at you and begging you to come and buy? Hell no - the people with the money dont haggle and the market women know the stingy ones!
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by iice(f): 12:05pm On Nov 30, 2009
Our market in naija is flea market abroad.
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by Parohfrey(f): 12:26pm On Nov 30, 2009
^^^so?
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by clemcykul(f): 1:03pm On Nov 30, 2009
i personally wunt take sh!t 4rm any modafckn market woman
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by iice(f): 2:08pm On Nov 30, 2009
Paroh_frey:

^^^so?

It means, you can only haggle in flea markets. Supermarkets are standardized.
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by foyeks2001(f): 3:14pm On Nov 30, 2009
iice:

It means, you can only haggle in flea markets. Supermarkets are standardized.

ofcourse , yes they are
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by Parohfrey(f): 3:14pm On Nov 30, 2009
then go to supermarkets in Nigeria if u can afford to.
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by iice(f): 3:32pm On Nov 30, 2009
Paroh_frey:

then go to supermarkets in Nigeria if u can afford to.

Some people prefer to haggle. Why pay 100 when you can pay 70?
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by maedan(f): 3:44pm On Nov 30, 2009
Shops abroad would never place their wares at outrageous prices (well, not usually). However the average Naija trader would want to skin you for your last kobo. So hell yes I will haggle till I'm sure I'll be paying the reasonable price.
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by bawomolo(m): 4:53pm On Nov 30, 2009
whiteroses:

but i remeberd a funny one, when a boy says auntie buy my scotch egg and i said no thank you next time, and he said God forbid you catch me here next time selling scotch egge grin

smart boy , ultimate hustler cheesy
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by Nobody: 3:25pm On Dec 02, 2009
whiteroses:

only in naija do poor people shakara for the rich i was so annoyed, just came back on holiday in naija, if you see how rude these market women have become, they all need a wake up call on principles of business. everywhere i go , they all roll their eyes at me, i've learnt they usually increase the price and you have to negotiate, this lady told me a slippers was N700 and i said can i pay 500 and she says "auntie edakun e sun siwaju bata kini N500" what? i wanted to cry, at first i was confused and  later realised i've offended her by negotiating,
i knew a small face powder is N25 and the retailer claims its 30 i said ok bye i'm gone and she lashed at me "is it because of N5, stingy! do they think they are doing me a favour by selling to me?

btw this was aleshinloye market in ibadan and before i travelled they always call you to buy from them but now they dont have any respect for anybody. and if a transaction should go smooth they wont even say thank you and always trying to scam you. But by the time i spent 4 weeks in nigeria even me i developed tough skin, one girl started abusing me at  answani market in lagos when i stepped her goods to avoid a trailer from running me over, she goes "awe koshi lo"  i replied,  oshi ere ni? emi o makin sh'omo ile yii, maa gba oju e" she calms down instantly lol (i was happy to speak back in ghetto attitude as they do lol)

sorry if you havent had this rudeness from naija market cos ibadan people are exclusively rude  but i just cant help but share how gobsmacked i was at their attitude lol

han han 5 naira  shocked looool

Omo Ibadan kini so! lati Bodija de FeLeLe  grin
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by JeSoul(f): 6:48pm On Dec 02, 2009
whiteroses:

only in naija do poor people shakara for the rich i was so annoyed, just came back on holiday in naija, if you see how rude these market women have become, they all need a wake up call on principles of business. everywhere i go , they all roll their eyes at me, i've learnt they usually increase the price and you have to negotiate, this lady told me a slippers was N700 and i said can i pay 500 and she says "auntie edakun e sun siwaju bata kini N500" what? i wanted to cry, at first i was confused and later realised i've offended her by negotiating,

btw this was aleshinloye market in ibadan and before i travelled they always call you to buy from them but now they dont have any respect for anybody. and if a transaction should go smooth they wont even say thank you and always trying to scam you. But by the time i spent 4 weeks in nigeria even me i developed tough skin, one girl started abusing me at answani market in lagos when i stepped her goods to avoid a trailer from running me over, she goes "awe koshi lo" i replied, oshi ere ni? emi o makin sh'omo ile yii, maa gba oju e" she calms down instantly lol (i was happy to speak back in ghetto attitude as they do lol)

sorry if you havent had this rudeness from naija market cos ibadan people are exclusively rude but i just cant help but share how gobsmacked i was at their attitude lol
ROTFLOL gosh I don laugh die grin grin grin
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by SisiKill1: 12:48pm On Dec 03, 2009
Lmao! It's not only the market women, include the fast food employees, the phone customer care people, the cable customer care people. . .In short everyone in the service industry in Naija lack customer service skills. The women are the worst! They act like you stole their first born. . .The attitude they give you.
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 03, 2009
Sisi_Kill:

Lmao! It's not only the market women, include the fast food employees, the phone customer care people, the cable customer care people. . .In short everyone in the service industry in Naija lack customer service skills. The women are the worst! They act like you stole their first born. . .The attitude they give you.

Very true. I went to my secondary school to take my results. And I asked some questions, the lady outrightly said I talked too much and walked away. What the heck are you doing there if you can't attend to me? I was still a small girl then that's why she can go away with that. cheesy
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by tboy1(m): 2:40pm On Dec 03, 2009
Sisi_Kill:

Was in a queue in sweet sensation one time and when it was my turn i started to order (BTW: I had no eatin all day ) The young lady started taking order and it was obvious she was gettin pissed off with all my order, next thing she said was 'Oga, na u wan chop all dis one'  grin grin grin
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by whiteroses(f): 3:15pm On Dec 07, 2009
tboy1:

Was in a queue in sweet sensation one time and when it was my turn i started to order (BTW: I had no eatin all day ) The young lady started taking order and it was obvious she was gettin pissed off with all my order, next thing she said was 'Oga, na u wan chop all dis one'  grin grin grin
lmfao  grin grin wetin consine her lol some are just so cheeky which could be funny at times like this sweet sensation's girl but sometimes they are just rude and they make you feel bad, imagine paying for service and you just feel deflated when leaving, its not good, they all need to go back to school
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by spikedcylinder: 3:29pm On Dec 07, 2009
Lol @ these responses!
I personally enjoy when fast food waiters are rude. . . .I tend to like proving a point! cheesy
We're used to it. grin
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by vanitty: 3:35pm On Dec 07, 2009
whiteroses:

But by the time i spent 4 weeks in nigeria even me i developed tough skin, one girl started abusing me at answani market in lagos when i stepped her goods to avoid a trailer from running me over, she goes "awe koshi lo" i replied, oshi ere ni? emi o makin sh'omo ile yii, maa gba oju e" she calms down instantly lol (i was happy to speak back in ghetto attitude as they do lol)

grin cheesy
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by netotse(m): 3:41pm On Dec 07, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Lol @ these responses!
I personally enjoy when fast food waiters are rude. . . .I tend to like proving a point! cheesy
We're used to it. grin

lol even though i'm young, if you're rude to me i'll ask for the manager. . .ders no time!

its mostly among females that this comes up though, once a friend was treating me and we went out and i swear she and the girl that was serving us woulda started a serious arguement if i hadnt stepped in. once i stepped in er'thing calmed down, and it wasnt even my money that was being spent. . .lol
Re: Is This How Rich They Have Become? by Greencat(f): 6:22am On Jun 26, 2011
Wish i read this thread early last year. Every opinion here except for Paroh_frey is just the plain truth.

(1) (Reply)

Answer To Pagan9ja Comment. / Abia Kwenu! Kwezuonu O! / Who Has Ever Met An Hausa Albino?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.