Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:03 AM

Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher (13188 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Must Have Fire Extinguisher In Your Car / This Video Tells How Important A Fire Extinguisher Is In Your Car / Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by connkg(m): 1:17am On Jan 26, 2017
I have searched NL Car Talk, but didn't find a previous thread on this. FRSC officers here present, I have decided to relocate my extinguisher from the trunk to underneath the driver's seat, in hope that I have the presence of mind to remember in an emergency.
Most burning cars (fuel, not electrical) begin either in front of or behind the car cabin.
Valid point?

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by escavros: 3:35am On Jan 26, 2017
Under the seat actually is the most practical place,...
but you need to ensure that its the only item under your seat to avoid obstruction during emergency access to the extinguisher as any obstruction to its access can make a great difference between saving your vehicle to losing it in a fire.

Think safety first

9 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Flexherbal(m): 3:48am On Jan 26, 2017
escavros:
Under the seat actually is the most practical place,...
but you need to ensure that its the only item under your seat to avoid obstruction during emergency access to the extinguisher as any obstruction to its access can make a great difference between saving your vehicle to losing it in a fire.

Think safety first
Good one !
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by lonelydora: 4:02am On Jan 26, 2017
Under the seat is the best location, but i have known it to always be in the the trunk since growing up days. Wouldn't want to get confused by going to look for it in the trunk when it's actually under my seat in emergency situation.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:24am On Jan 26, 2017
connkg:
I have searched NL Car Talk, but didn't find a previous thread on this. FRSC officers here present, I have decided to relocate my extinguisher from the trunk to underneath the driver's seat, in hope that I have the presence of mind to remember in an emergency.
Most burning cars (fuel, not electrical) begin either in front of or behind the car cabin.
Valid point?

Under the front passenger seat, has easy reach.

4 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Somatic(m): 6:03am On Jan 26, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Car seats these days have complex wires and vents that reduce space for anything thicker than a Grisham novel. How does one now fit an extinguisher inside? Woulda preferred seats myself but mine has a provision in the boot for it.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by kingreign(m): 7:20am On Jan 26, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Mine lies loose in the font passenger's footwell. Underneath my seat, wirings are plenty and I no wa compromise my seat adjustment.

2 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by snipesdam(m): 3:08pm On Jan 26, 2017
Mine is always located by the passengers seat lock pin Unplug already...

This reminds me of what happened during last Xmas, we went for a visit to my uncle's wife place with his kids @ the back of the Sienna with me while he was driving. The fire Extinguisher Lock Pin was already removed and kept by the side of the back door. Almost immediately we left from the place we visited. OMO the guy pressed the Extinguisher in an Air tight environment we all came out with white faces. His dad was dumb founded and we aired the car for sometime then went for.

Funny thing was when we got home the 5 yr old went to carry bucket and water apologising that he wants to wash the car.

Lesson keep such things out of reach to kids. Imagine if this happened when we were on top speed on a single lane in the village..........

10 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 26, 2017
snipesdam:
Mine is always located by the passengers seat lock pin Unplug already...

This reminds me of what happened during last Xmas, we went for a visit to my uncle's wife place with his kids @ the back of the Sienna with me while he was driving. The fire Extinguisher Lock Pin was already removed and kept by the side of the back door. Almost immediately we left from the place we visited. OMO the guy pressed the Extinguisher in an Air tight environment we all came out with white faces. His dad was dumb founded and we aired the
Funny thing was when we got home the 5 yr old went to carry bucket and water apologising that he wants to wash the car.

Lesson keep such things out of reach to kids. Imagine if this happened when we were on top speed on a single lane in the village..........
Awww, cute bobo.
They're so innocent, till they fall in love_ their brains will just enter neutral...

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by nurey(m): 3:12pm On Jan 27, 2017
i don't even carry fire extinguisher wink, if them ask me i first ask them to show me theirs. A law breaker cannot arrest a law breaker.
if by chance they have, i will then ask them to show me the fire tongue

i keep mine in the car, and it rolls from point a to b freely, i don't mind, prevention is better than cure cool
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jan 28, 2017
I keep mine at home.

2 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by abatically(m): 8:43pm On Jan 28, 2017
I've always kept mine under the driver seat until last year at Benin asaba road. The FRSC officer asked for it, I reached under my seat to get it, unfortunately the space was right and I accidentally removed the safety pin and some of the content discharged inside the car. I finally brought it out and the officer said it was empty. I tried to explain to him that it got discharged while I was trying to bring it out, even showed him some of the yellow substance in my car from the discharge, Omo the guy no gree oh. Last last their oga asked me to point to the bush and press it, I did and luckily for me some content was still remaining. So they left me. On getting to Owerri I met another FRSC check point, asked for fire extinguisher, brought it out and they said it was empty. Told them I just discharged the remaining one at the check point earlier, Dem no gree. Asked me to press, I pressed and nothing came out. I had to pay them 5k before they let me go.

Right now I keep it in my trunk, I know it's not the best place to keep it but under my driver seat is just too tight
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:22pm On Jan 28, 2017
PaperLace:

Awww, cute bobo.
They're so innocent, till they fall in love_ their brains will just enter neutral...

safer than entering reverse grin grin grin grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by SweetBoyFriend(m): 7:07am On Jan 29, 2017

This is 2017, who still uses fire extinguisher in cars ??

Have you heard of car insurance ??

Go get a car insurance

1 Like

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by TrumpDonald2: 7:08am On Jan 29, 2017
Op u have a point. If it can fit in perfectly without making the driver uncomfortable, then go ahead.

Anyway, let me continue my flexing

2 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Maslow80: 7:09am On Jan 29, 2017
Let me buy my own car before answering the question. Happy Sunday

2 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by TrumpDonald2: 7:16am On Jan 29, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

Go get a car insurance

Are u serious

You make me laugh. Leave ur car make e burn because u get insurance. Na when the company query u abt how e take happen, u go dey sweat for head.

5 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by nextstep(m): 7:16am On Jan 29, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

Go get a car insurance

You mean you won't even try to put out a small fire? Which can save you from a total loss or increased premiums?

But after FRCN officers have collected 30k in fines over a month period, you will get a fire extinguisher to avoid their fines. I have at least one FRCN per week, and I must carry extinguisher, I day craze?

1 Like

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Soljaboi44(m): 7:18am On Jan 29, 2017
Under the seat
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by moscobabs(m): 7:19am On Jan 29, 2017
h
SweetBoyFriend:

Go get a car insurance
How old are u pls?

Go to romance section where your mates are, this section is not for u

4 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by lekkie073(m): 7:22am On Jan 29, 2017
Inside the driver shirt pocket

2 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by TrumpDonald2: 7:22am On Jan 29, 2017
nextstep:

You mean you won't even try to put out a small fire? Which can save you from a total loss or increased premiums?

But after FRCN officers have collected 30k in fines over a month period, you will get a fire extinguisher to avoid their fines. I have at least one FRCN per week, and I must carry extinguisher, I day craze?

FRSC u mean

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 29, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

very wrong. under the driver's seat is better. and a spare in the trunk.... all powder not the liquid small can ones sold by roadside boys

1 Like

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Nkepris(f): 7:24am On Jan 29, 2017
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Agadsman(m): 7:24am On Jan 29, 2017
let me use this opportunity to ask.

please how can one know when the fire extinguisher is expired? and what is the shelf life of fire extinguisher?
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by fashrola(m): 7:25am On Jan 29, 2017
abatically:
I've always kept mine under the driver seat until last year at Benin asaba road. The FRSC officer asked for it, I reached under my seat to get it, unfortunately the space was right and I accidentally removed the safety pin and some of the content discharged inside the car. I finally brought it out and the officer said it was empty. I tried to explain to him that it got discharged while I was trying to bring it out, even showed him some of the yellow substance in my car from the discharge, Omo the guy no gree oh. Last last their oga asked me to point to the bush and press it, I did and luckily for me some content was still remaining. So they left me. On getting to Owerri I met another FRSC check point, asked for fire extinguisher, brought it out and they said it was empty. Told them I just discharged the remaining one at the check point earlier, Dem no gree. Asked me to press, I pressed and nothing came out. I had to pay them 5k before they let me go.

Right now I keep it in my trunk, I know it's not the best place to keep it but under my driver seat is just too tight

Why would an FRSC officer tell you test a fire extinguisher? Abi dem no know say once u release the safety pin and press the lever.. the content will all be released to the environment and you'll need to recharge the system again
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by alatbaba1(m): 7:26am On Jan 29, 2017
under d drivers seat
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by fashrola(m): 7:27am On Jan 29, 2017
Agadsman:
let me use this opportunity to ask.

please how can one know when the fire extinguisher is expired? and what is the shelf life of fire extinguisher?

Buy fire extinguisher from safety stores and they will put a service tag on it and u'll know the date it will need to serviced... Usually onboard ships all fire extinguishers are serviced after one year

1 Like

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Osyxcel(m): 7:28am On Jan 29, 2017
nextstep:

FRCN abi FRSC..... Abi you be accountant or you dey work for radio station? grin
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by manchester1: 7:30am On Jan 29, 2017
it depends on d type of vehicle
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Nobody: 7:31am On Jan 29, 2017
At home.Whenever the car is on fire,just drive home like ermmm Nicolas Cage in ghost rider and get the extinguisher.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Happened To Izuogu’s Z-600 Nigeria Made Car? / Hand Drive Converted Vehicles. Your opinions. / Toyota Corolla Dx Or Golf 4-pls Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.