Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,401 members, 7,822,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher (13229 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Must Have Fire Extinguisher In Your Car / This Video Tells How Important A Fire Extinguisher Is In Your Car / Types Of Vehicles And The Amount Of Fire Extinguisher(s) They Should Have – FRSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by DMerciful(m): 7:36am On Jan 29, 2017
How do you open the hood with fire underneath? Well I depend on my comprehensive insurance.... no tracked installed and hope I don't have a fire incident cos I ain't gonna stress myself....mansard insurance will have to earn their money!
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by SweetBoyFriend(m): 7:37am On Jan 29, 2017
moscobabs:
h
How old are u pls?

Go to romance section where your mates are, this section is not for u

I'm old enough to own 2 2015 Range Rover Evoque and many other expensive cars

How old are you and how much money do you have ??

Poor people shouldn't talk or have an opinion
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Coolgent(m): 7:40am On Jan 29, 2017
Under the driver seat, but avoid this...

3 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by moscobabs(m): 7:44am On Jan 29, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

I'm old enough to own 2 2015 Range Rover Evoque and many other expensive cars

How old are you and how much money do you have ??

Poor people shouldn't talk or have an opinion

lol .
.Empty barren
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Agadsman(m): 7:50am On Jan 29, 2017
fashrola:

Buy fire extinguisher from safety stores and they will put a service tag on it and u'll know the date it will need to serviced... Usually onboard ships all fire extinguishers are serviced after one year

okay, thank you sir.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by idupaul: 7:56am On Jan 29, 2017
Under your seat is actually the best place , because during an accident tha results in fire where the occupants are still trapped any concious person can start fighting approaching fires from inside the vehicle thereby buying some critical time
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by agarawu23(m): 8:17am On Jan 29, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

This is 2017, who still uses fire extinguisher in cars ??

Have you heard of car insurance ??

Go get a car insurance
you don't need a fire extinguisher if your car is insured?

1 Like

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Reference(m): 8:25am On Jan 29, 2017
connkg:
I have searched NL Car Talk, but didn't find a previous thread on this. FRSC officers here present, I have decided to relocate my extinguisher from the trunk to underneath the driver's seat, in hope that I have the presence of mind to remember in an emergency.
Most burning cars (fuel, not electrical) begin either in front of or behind the car cabin.
Valid point?

Yes. First rule of emergencies - Unhindered Access.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by 44chux(m): 8:39am On Jan 29, 2017
connkg:
I have searched NL Car Talk, but didn't find a previous thread on this. FRSC officers here present, I have decided to relocate my extinguisher from the trunk to underneath the driver's seat, in hope that I have the presence of mind to remember in an emergency.
Most burning cars (fuel, not electrical) begin either in front of or behind the car cabin.
Valid point?

Putting it under the seat is asking for trouble as it has been known to cause/escalate accidents!!!
This happens when driver sudenly brakes and the extinguisher bottle launches forward and lodges under the peddals.

Ideally it should be mounted upright by the seat belt corner. Thats why the car extinguisher actually comes with a mountable plastic hanger. Funny enough this is old school knowledge and was same method used by my grandparents in their peigeot 504 saloon and other commercial taxis back in the day.

1 Like

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 29, 2017
1) small extinguisher bolted to an easily accessible location in the passenger cabin. You don't want it to become a projectile.

2) much bigger one in the trunk. The small ones I see banded about are as useful as peeing on a rattlesnake.

3 Likes

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by 9icetoo(m): 8:47am On Jan 29, 2017
under the drivers seat provides easy access but can be a very dangerous place.
like coolgent posted, these extinguishers can roll out and get trapped under the brake pedal which most times leads to an accident.
secondly, in the event of a crash and the vehicle somersaults, the extinguisher which weighs over three kilos becomes a projectile and could hurt whoever it gets in contact with.
some cars were designed to hold the fire extinguisher under the drivers seat. the fire extinguisher compartment under the car seat comes with a strap for securing the extinguisher in place to prevent it from rolling out or flying around when the car rolls over.
if u decide to keep yours under the car seat, make sure you secure it with a wedge or something to prevent it from rolling out to the drivers foot well. it is a sure recipe for disaster. a lady crashed her crv two years ago cos her shoe got stuck under her brake pedal.

1 Like

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Nobody: 8:50am On Jan 29, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

Go get a car insurance

You have a valid point but based on the rigors of Nigerian roads it's actually a useful thing to have.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by 44chux(m): 8:57am On Jan 29, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You have a valid point but based on the rigors of Nigerian roads it's actually a useful thing to have.

If one has never gone through the stress of insurance claims after a vehicle write-off before, one would never understand. It sometimes involves lawyers and drags for up to a year.

For minor damages they can be prompt however.

If you can, do group insurance. They respect that.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by charlesucheh(m): 9:08am On Jan 29, 2017
connkg:
Valid point?
Hanging it at the top most left corner of the drivers seat is still the best. What if you the extinguisher mistakenly roll down to your brake pedal, and at a point, you need to use the break when on a high speed? My brother, your history will be like ALVAN IKOKU O!!! Be Warned!!!
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Originalsly: 9:30am On Jan 29, 2017
Hmmm.... I think the only need to carry an extinguisher is to comply with the law... and the best place is in the trunk. But really...who can testify about ever putting out a fire or seeing or hearing about anyone putting out a car fire using the extinguisher? Yes....due to faulty wiring a fire has started somewhere in the engine... what do you do?....open the hood to get at the fire?..... you would be wayyyy more likely to get burn than outing the fire. Racing cars... yes...passenger cars no....but...it is the law.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by fr3do(m): 9:40am On Jan 29, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

Go get a car insurance

negligence dey void insurance o,
U become unnecessarily careless and let something happen to your property like that, Insurer no go pay you shishi
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by JABB(m): 9:45am On Jan 29, 2017
That is a follow come fire Extinguisher Holder

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by chloride6: 10:12am On Jan 29, 2017
abatically:
I've always kept mine under the driver seat until last year at Benin asaba road. The FRSC officer asked for it, I reached under my seat to get it, unfortunately the space was right and I accidentally removed the safety pin and some of the content discharged inside the car. I finally brought it out and the officer said it was empty. I tried to explain to him that it got discharged while I was trying to bring it out, even showed him some of the yellow substance in my car from the discharge, Omo the guy no gree oh. Last last their oga asked me to point to the bush and press it, I did and luckily for me some content was still remaining. So they left me. On getting to Owerri I met another FRSC check point, asked for fire extinguisher, brought it out and they said it was empty. Told them I just discharged the remaining one at the check point earlier, Dem no gree. Asked me to press, I pressed and nothing came out. I had to pay them 5k before they let me go.

Right now I keep it in my trunk, I know it's not the best place to keep it but under my driver seat is just too tight

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

This is the funniest story i've heard in a while.

FRSC Benin paid FRSC Owerri

1 Like

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by mark2sunny(m): 11:44am On Jan 29, 2017
You wouldn't need that tool all your life....
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by abatically(m): 12:03pm On Jan 29, 2017
SweetBoyFriend:

Go get a car insurance

So with car insurance means no need for fire extinguisher? Smh. Ur car might catch fire and u have some valuable documents to retrieve, a fire extinguisher can make it possible for u to retrieve those documents or do u think insurance company will do that for u? Hell someone might get stuck in a burning car and fire extinguisher can save his life or do u think insurance company will save that life for u?
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by abatically(m): 12:07pm On Jan 29, 2017
fashrola:

Why would an FRSC officer tell you test a fire extinguisher? Abi dem no know say once u release the safety pin and press the lever.. the content will all be released to the environment and you'll need to recharge the system again

To tell u I was surprised is an understatement. When I tried to bring it out under the driver's seat I mistakingly released the safety pin and some of the content got discharged in the car. Those FRSC no even send me even though they saw the evidence in the car. They just told me the can was empty. After pronlonged argument they asked me to press it which I did and the last content was released. That was when they let me go.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by lozanni(m): 12:15pm On Jan 29, 2017
escavros:
Under the seat actually is the most practical place,...
but you need to ensure that its the only item under your seat to avoid obstruction during emergency access to the extinguisher as any obstruction to its access can make a great difference between saving your vehicle to losing it in a fire.

Think safety first

Quite correct, a colleague of mine was properly educated on this by FRSC officials during an encounter he had with them.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by erico2k2(m): 6:49pm On Jan 29, 2017
connkg:
Valid point?
This is mine

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by erico2k2(m): 6:54pm On Jan 29, 2017
abatically:

So with car insurance means no need for fire extinguisher? Smh. Ur car might catch fire and u have some valuable documents to retrieve, a fire extinguisher can make it possible for u to retrieve those documents or do u think insurance company will do that for u? Hell someone might get stuck in a burning car and fire extinguisher can save his life or do u think insurance company will save that life for u?
Some times we have to get educated and what we are thinking and saying.the guy you quoted is right . Best practice is spot a fire RUN AWAY .
If you are in you car and the unspeakable happens you are meat to abandon the car and not to risk your life in the name of putting out the fire .
Reason :U are not trained to deal with fires . In your bid to put out the fire car may explode and burn or mame you.
As per important Docs . You can always get them again or swear affidavit to that effect .

1 Like

Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by erico2k2(m): 6:56pm On Jan 29, 2017
Originalsly:
Hmmm.... I think the only need to carry an extinguisher is to comply with the law... and the best place is in the trunk. But really...who can testify about ever putting out a fire or seeing or hearing about anyone putting out a car fire using the extinguisher? Yes....due to faulty wiring a fire has started somewhere in the engine... what do you do?....open the hood to get at the fire?..... you would be wayyyy more likely to get burn than outing the fire. Racing cars... yes...passenger cars no....but...it is the law.
Really shocked shocked.so say the fire is at the Gas tank?
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by erico2k2(m): 7:02pm On Jan 29, 2017
44chux:

Putting it under the seat is asking for trouble as it has been known to cause/escalate accidents!!!
This happens when driver sudenly brakes and the extinguisher bottle launches forward and lodges under the peddals.

Ideally it should be mounted upright by the seat belt corner. Thats why the car extinguisher actually comes with a mountable plastic hanger. Funny enough this is old school knowledge and was same method used by my grandparents in their peigeot 504 saloon and other commercial taxis back in the day.
You are quite correct but the point you just raised about it lunching 4ward is scary but true
Then again mounting it by the Centre pillar of one's car is one of the reasons we should not have fire extinguishers in cars except the are HGV . That centre pillar houses the seat belt mechanism . Tampering with that will amount to one reducing the safety of the car.beside fire extinguishers are compressed gases and powder so we should truly amd realy not be ha ING 5 hem in our cars . Emergency vehicles abroad who carry compressed gas of any type have to display a green sign in thier car showing the sign for compressed has.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by pimper24: 9:08pm On Jan 29, 2017
The best place is where your hand can easily reach in times of emergency. I recall how hard it was for me to get the extinguisher from the boot when i was trying to save a vehicle opposite me from fire. The Honda CRV just in from of Ministry of Defence Abuja ran into a side concrete slap and smoke started gushing out of the hood. I matched my break and scampered out of my car turning to the booth to remove my fire extinguisher. Before I could finish, flames were already rising with the smoke. Thanks for other road users that quickly yanked out their own fire extinguishers and sprang into action. I still met them but slower than I thought cos i was driving just behind the ill-fated car, I still sprayed and we got the fire out before bringing out the occupants. So somewhere in the front seat for the fire extinguisher is still more practicable.
connkg:
Valid point?
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Originalsly: 1:36am On Jan 30, 2017
erico2k2:

Really shocked shocked.so say the fire is at the Gas tank?
Hmmm... the fire is at the gas tank .... and you would be getting the fire extinguisher? ... you would leave earth in smoke.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by 44chux(m): 2:51am On Jan 30, 2017
erico2k2:

You are quite correct but the point you just raised about it lunching 4ward is scary but true
Then again mounting it by the Centre pillar of one's car is one of the reasons we should not have fire extinguishers in cars except the are HGV . That centre pillar houses the seat belt mechanism . Tampering with that will amount to one reducing the safety of the car.beside fire extinguishers are compressed gases and powder so we should truly amd realy not be ha ING 5 hem in our cars . Emergency vehicles abroad who carry compressed gas of any type have to display a green sign in thier car showing the sign for compressed has.

It is installed with some kind of baseplate designed for that purpose. Personally I have time-tested this in the past without issues. Any problem arising will have to be caused by a quack installer.

Also industrial safety mandates all pressurized bottles to be stacked upright. Except this is achieved in the trunk, it will be safer inside the cabin.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by erico2k2(m): 7:50am On Jan 30, 2017
44chux:

It is installed with some kind of baseplate designed for that purpose. Personally I have time-tested this in the past without issues. Any problem arising will have to be caused by a quack installer.

Also industrial safety mandates all pressurized bottles to be stacked upright. Except this is achieved in the trunk, it will be safer inside the cabin.
Yeh but Industrial safety does not mandate us to carry a fire extinguisher in our cars unless its a HGV/LDV or any public/emergency and utility vehicle.Its these stupid leaders in Nigeris who always like to put the cath B4 the horse.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by Bhugarious: 11:53pm On Jan 30, 2017
Under front passenger seat is ideal. Easy access for all occupants of the vehicle when the need arises provided they are trained on tips to using DCP fire extinguishers. Operation PASS (Pull/Press, Aim, Squeeze and Sweep) rocks.
Re: Most Practical Location For A Fire Extinguisher by 44chux(m): 1:32am On Jan 31, 2017
erico2k2:

Yeh but Industrial safety does not mandate us to carry a fire extinguisher in our cars unless its a HGV/LDV or any public/emergency and utility vehicle.Its these stu**d leaders in Nigeris who always like to put the cath B4 the horse.

grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

7 Signs That Your Car's Engine Performance Might Be Decreasing / Guys, I Really Need Your Sincere Advice. Lexus RX300 Or Acura MDX ? /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.