Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,033 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... (1566 Views)

Aisha Buhari Reacts To 2 SUVs Gifts From IGP: I Am Still Using My Personal Cars / Dino Melaye Flaunts His Car In Russia, Says My Passion Is My Personal Property / Biafra: Women's Conference Continues In Abiriba After Bitter Encounter With Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by realborn(m): 10:09am On Jan 26, 2017
#Herdsmen

Yesterday afternoon as I returned, and approached the adjoining street, I saw a herd of cows sluggishly advance toward me. It was pretty strange. I tried to maneuver peacefully to the nearest right or left. In split seconds, the herdsman surfaced.

I had my windows down, but rolled them up on sighting his very long machete in its sheath strapped with pride with a belt to his left shoulder. He slowly walked up to me while I waited amiably though tensed for his beloved pets to pass.

Once he got to my window he stopped, gave away a frail smile. Looked at me, and made a gesture of the hand to the mouth, to signify hunger and thirst. I could also hear at as much decibels the rolled up window permitted, few words of appeal, shockingly in good English. His eyes though stern were still subtle. For a second, I nurtured the thought to pull through the remaining cows; I asked without uttering a word, why stop right next to my window on a lonely street, on a very hot afternoon with a sword-like cutlass, with the gory tales of invasion we read daily?

Then compassion was berth.

I said, if truly, this young man was hungry and thirsty, my fears of an attack were less pertinent than helping a soul. More so he has come in peace. I reached for a recently collected change, drove forward a bit, then beckoned on him to come. From the side mirror, I saw him gasp in forward motion with excitement on his face. I strung the window down a bit to allow me squeeze the note to him , but couldn't wait for him to reach me. I handed the squeezed note to him in a 4x100m relay baton exchange fashion, while in soft motion.

He was very delighted and raised both hands above his chest in a delightsome feedback. I could feel his unending "Thank You". I was engulfed in pity.

Thereafter, I meandered onto my street and saw a new set of cows with no shepherd. Hanhan, I sighed. These ones were right in front of my gate. "Wetin be dis na", I wondered. Then a dude surfaced behind the last crew. I approached my gate after the cows moved. Without wanting to warrant contact with his eyes, I looked away.

Then, the herdsman walked to the passenger window and drew my attention from my deliberate look-away.
In an audible voice he chanted "pls help me, I need water". I couldn't disregard his plea. I looked at him and pointed in the direction of the first crew to signify that I had dropped something earlier. He smiled, made a head gesture, to the left and right, which I interpreted to mean, "e no matter, abeg help me still".

At this point, I could see how frail he was, and how tattered his clothes were. I reached for the last note, and gave to him. He also smiled in appreciation.

Immediately after, the gate was open, and I drove in. For a funny reason, it took a longer while for the security man to do the needful, and he did not witness the episodes.

Though, what I gave was measurably little. Their appreciations were immeasurably more. The fabric of love has been balkanized by self centered politicians and leaders who by every means for personal gains continue to divide this country along ethnic and religious lines. They fan the embers of violence and promote hate, mistrust, paranoia, and unrest.

Like the Samaritan, we must continue to love. This is the essence of life.

I was once corrected on this forum not say "Nigeria will be great again", because Nigeria has never been really great. Hence I will say, "Nigeria will someday be great"!

5 Likes

Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by lovingyouhun: 10:19am On Jan 26, 2017
Hm
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by Nobody: 10:39am On Jan 26, 2017
There was peace because you gave them money...had it been you no get money to give them, na another story we for dey hear this morning.....something along the line of " a nairalander massacred by fulani herdsmen"..Just dey thank your God..

The devil would always remain the devil even if he appears like the Angel of light...

No talk say i no tell you...

4 Likes

Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by Longevo(m): 10:43am On Jan 26, 2017
It's good to show love irrespective of the person's attitudes. Love conquers all
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by maclatunji: 10:43am On Jan 26, 2017
DDeliverer:
There was peace because you gave them money...had it been you no get money to give them, na another story we for dey hear this morning.....something along the line of " a nairalander massacred by fulani herdsmen"..Just dey thank your God..

The devil would always remain the devil even if he appears like the Angel of light...

No talk say i no talk you...

Noisy ignorance on display.

5 Likes

Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by lekkie073(m): 11:05am On Jan 26, 2017
if to say na ak47 him carry instead of machete i know say ur liver for fail u...
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by realborn(m): 11:08am On Jan 26, 2017
DDeliverer:

Lol.

This same opinion of a friend on Facebook actually prompted sharing on Nairaland.

The first herdsman had resorted to depart in peace before I beckoned on him.

More so, this happened in Lagos, day time and I was in a vehicle. It was safer to keep the windows up.

I really think those young lads really needed help. I doubt they would have made any forceful demands.

A sincere effort by the State and Federal Governments could have abated this new low of mistrust and wanton destruction of lives in affected areas. Unfortunately, these so called leaders are bereft of understanding and seemingly care less.

Like a friend called to share his views, he concluded by saying, "love conquers all".

Good morning!

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by Marvel1206: 11:37am On Jan 26, 2017
Seems you gave them out of fear

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by demolinka(m): 11:57am On Jan 26, 2017
Very gastronomic write-up! Highly thought provoking.
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by realborn(m): 11:58am On Jan 26, 2017
demolinka:
Very gastronomic write-up! Highly thought provoking.

Awwww. Thanks smiley
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by realborn(m): 12:00pm On Jan 26, 2017
Marvel1206:
Seems you gave them out of fear

Initially refrained from giving, out if fear.

Eventually gave, out of love.

Love is the message smiley

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by NCP: 12:04pm On Jan 26, 2017
Nice Story.
Next.
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by lovat(m): 1:03pm On Jan 26, 2017
maclatunji:

This boy always supporting fulani out of religious sentiments

2 Likes

Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by Marvel1206: 1:13pm On Jan 26, 2017
realborn:

Initially refrained from giving, out if fear.
Eventually gave, out of love.
Love is the message smiley
Yup cheesy
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by megareal: 1:17pm On Jan 26, 2017
My problem with them isn't when they come in peace, it is when that murderous demon of bloodthirstiness envelops them. They can kill you at the slightest provocation even if you helped save their only child the previous day.

I pray a day comes we can trust ourselves once again. But it's still very far in my opinion.
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by realborn(m): 1:48pm On Jan 26, 2017
megareal:
My problem with them isn't when they come in peace, it is when that murderous demon of bloodthirstiness envelops them. They can kill you at the slightest provocation even if you helped save their only child the previous day.

I pray a day comes we can trust ourselves once again. But it's still very far in my opinion.

Well said!
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by PapaBrowne(m): 2:24pm On Jan 26, 2017
This is your story.

The widows of Southern Kaduna have their stories.
The Orphans of Agatu have their story.
And the thousand others have their stories.

I like your attempt to promote love but doing so by portraying the valiant as the victim is ridiculous to say the least.

5 Likes

Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by realborn(m): 11:16pm On Jan 26, 2017
PapaBrowne:
This is your story.

I like your attempt to promote love but doing so by portraying the valiant as the victim is ridiculous to say the least.

Ohhhh, the intent is not to portray the valiant as the victim. While I acknowledge that a plethora of mayhem has been attributed to killer herdsmen, I still find a place in my heart that some are still true to their cause.

I primarily blame the FG for not taking decisive actions against the wicked culprits..
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by LORDOFAFONJAS: 11:18pm On Jan 26, 2017
maclatunji:

Afonjaz spotted grin
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by CecyAdrian(f): 12:02am On Jan 27, 2017
DDeliverer:

Please get off this thread with your hate filled soul.

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by CecyAdrian(f): 12:04am On Jan 27, 2017
PapaBrowne:
This is your story.

There is always an action before a reaction and remember that the reaction might be more dangerous than the action.

While growing up, I have seen these fights in our own very back yard, and whenever it's over, the Fulani gets blamed because the gravity of their action is usually more brutal, but if you check the root of the fight, you will find out that they actually were not at fault 80% of the time.

The average Fulani man is a peaceful fellow but very brutal when provoked, especially when it comes to the cows.
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by idupaul: 12:07am On Jan 27, 2017
You paid the herdsman to spare your life
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by CecyAdrian(f): 12:22am On Jan 27, 2017
megareal:

Exactly! They get so brutal and heartless. I it's getting worse by the day majorly because of how other tribes treat them and their herds. There is no love anymore in Nigeria not to talk of trust.

My grandpa lived to a very old age because he was rescued from the hands of other murderous Hausa's by another Hausa man, and he will tell you that the best person to befriend and trust in Nigeria is a northerner.

1 Like

Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by maclatunji: 1:02am On Jan 27, 2017
LORDOFAFONJAS:
Afonjaz spotted grin

Who is Afonja in history? Tell me.
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by pchukwudi: 4:48am On Jan 27, 2017
It's commendable that you showed pity to somene in need - who probably did not deserve the help - even when your basic instinct dictated otherwise.

However, you must realize that your experience was one isolated case that's pretty unique from what's experienced by others - especially in those rural areas where farms are destroyed, villages sacked and natives massacred. Those acts of war and genocide against defenceless villagers were pure evil and not the result of any political divisiveness as you suggested.

Thus blaming someone for the unwarranted attrocities commited by those band of terrorists is, to put it lightly, most provocative and insulting.

For starters, folks should be free to say NO when asked for help. Otherwise it would no longer be help but extortion.

realborn:

Lol.

This same opinion of a friend on Facebook actually prompted sharing on Nairaland.

The first herdsman had resorted to depart in peace before I beckoned on him.

More so, this happened in Lagos, day time and I was in a vehicle. It was safer to keep the windows up.

I really think those young lads really needed help. I doubt they would have made any forceful demands.

A sincere effort by the State and Federal Governments could have abated this new low of mistrust and wanton destruction of lives in affected areas. Unfortunately, these so called leaders are bereft of understanding and seemingly care less.

Like a friend called to share his views, he concluded by saying, "love conquers all".

Good morning!
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by realborn(m): 7:00am On Jan 27, 2017
CecyAdrian:

There is always an action before a reaction and remember that the reaction might be more dangerous than the action.

While growing up, I have seen these fights in our own very back yard, and whenever it's over, the Fulani gets blamed because the gravity of their action is usually more brutal, but if you check the root of the fight, you will find out that they actually were not at fault 80% of the time.

The average Fulani man is a peaceful fellow but very brutal when provoked, especially when it comes to the cows.

cool
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by Aphrygian(m): 7:17am On Jan 27, 2017
Re: Herdsmen, My Personal Encounter.... by Aphrygian(m): 7:20am On Jan 27, 2017
CecyAdrian:

its either you have not met with fulani herdsmen or you are one of them. My project days made me realize those people are animals and Nothing more.

(1) (Reply)

Hakeem Baba Ahmed Is Saraki's New Chief Of Staff (Photos) / Work Going On @ Oluoha Road Linking Okija Market To Ubahuekwem, Ihiala / Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe's Campaign In The 1960's.(photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.