Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,932 members, 7,817,721 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees (10686 Views)

Reasons Why Employers Could Sack Employees In Nigeria Without Prio Notice Or Ent / 8 Things Exceptional Bosses Constantly Tell Their Employees / Why Employers Need To Empower Their Employees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by bakingsoda: 9:12am On Jan 27, 2017
eph12:

Ahan! I never stated otherwise. I thought we could have a discussion or debate on this. Don't know why you scared of someone quoting you.

if any part of that post was insulting maybe you should point it out or you could just ignore and forget I quoted you

You left no room for debate at bolded. Just ignore me please.

eph12:

Totally wrong. An employer whether Nigerian or not, knows the importance of keeping a good employee. They normally won't want the employee to leave but at the same time they cannot afford more than what they can afford to pay.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by Appswheel(m): 9:18am On Jan 27, 2017
You are very correct in your views. Most employers reward employees who are intuitive, innovative, creative and entrepreneurial.

Intuitive - You dont always wait to be told what to do. You take initiative.
Innovative - You suggest ideas of how to increase company profits, improve company products and services.
Creative - Improve on the company existing methods of getting things done.
Entrepreneurial - You take ownership of your job. Work as if its your own business. Take full charge and responsibility.

However, some people do all these and still do not get promoted. This happens in organisation that do not care about their staff or management that favour staff that are grounded in "eyes service". Again, some employees do not let their Manager or management know what they bring to the table, while it is not advised that you blow your own trumpet, employees must find a way to show their Managers and Management what efforts they are making to make the organisation better. Let them see your effort and the impact it has on the company.

Some organisations have educational, professional qualifications required for promotion - an employee who is unaware of such requirement or does not have the qualifications can forget about promotion.

Finally, there is politics in every organisation. Open your eyes and learn the robes. Get close to the people that matter in your organisation, the decision makers. If you put this advise to heart, your name will be top of the list of employees for promotion.

In the last organisation I worked with, I got promoted twice within a year. Not minding the recession, when people are being laid off and salaries been slashed.

I invite you to subscribe to my series - The Memoir of a Job Seeker, a monthly publication where I'd be sharing my interview and job experience with you.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by gbagyiza: 9:21am On Jan 27, 2017
d primary reasons r wickedness n greediness from d employers side. D management give more emphasis on their candidates for promotion , does that worship them n do eye service .Check it out any employee that is competent on his job , don't do eye service, so when promotion comes they denied most of this employees except God did his miracle...from were I was working before , in my section , I was d best at what I do...I was by d help of God able to progress in my department n d company atlarge . But when its time for rewarding my boss n her boys will be favoured because I don't go to her house, don't go to her office to do eye service. When I confront her , she will keep giving me hope....for nine good years I was not promoted. I got another job n went to submit my resignation, that was when her eyes open n it was already late..I was begged n was offered to be promoted, I refused n I left..till today, I had that they were not able to get someone that can confidently do d job.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by LekkiHost: 9:34am On Jan 27, 2017
Appswheel:
many reasons account for this. I'd share my views shortly.
waiting for your view
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by Appswheel(m): 9:35am On Jan 27, 2017
LekkiHost:
waiting for your view
You are very correct in your views. Most employers reward employees who are intuitive, innovative, creative and entrepreneurial.

Innovative - You suggest ideas of how to increase company profits, improve company products and services.
Entrepreneurial - You take ownership of your job. Work as if its your own business. Take full charge and responsibility.

However, some people do all these and still do not get promoted. This happens in organisation that do not care about their staff or management that favour staff that are grounded in "eyes service". Again, some employees do not let their Manager or management know what they bring to the table, while it is not advised that you blow your own trumpet, employees must find a way to show their Managers and Management what efforts they are making to make the organisation better. Let them see your effort and the impact it has on the company.

Finally, there is politics in every organisation. Open your eyes and learn the robes. Get close to the people that matter in your organisation, the decision makers. If you put this advise to heart, your name will be top of the list of employees for promotion.

In the last organisation I worked with, I got promoted twice within a year. Not minding the recession, when people are being laid off and salaries been slashed.

I invite you to subscribe to my series - The Memoir of a Job Seeker, a monthly publication where I'd be sharing my interview and job experience with you.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by LekkiHost: 9:35am On Jan 27, 2017
gbagyiza:
d primary reasons r wickedness n greediness from d employers side. D management give more emphasis on their candidates for promotion , does that worship them n do eye service .Check it out any employee that is competent on his job , don't do eye service, so when promotion comes they denied most of this employees except God did his miracle...from were I was working before , in my section , I was d best at what I do...I was by d help of God able to progress in my department n d company atlarge . But when its time for rewarding my boss n her boys will be favoured because I don't go to her house, don't go to her office to do eye service. When I confront her , she will keep giving me hope....for nine good years I was not promoted. I got another job n went to submit my resignation, that was when her eyes open n it was already late..I was begged n was offered to be promoted, I refused n I left..till today, I had that they were not able to get someone that can confidently do d job.
wow! I get your point
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by LekkiHost: 9:38am On Jan 27, 2017
Appswheel:

Nice points. i will check out your blog
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by Appswheel(m): 9:38am On Jan 27, 2017
gbagyiza:
I understand your point of view. But you need to realize that there is politics in every organisation. Learn the robes where you are man.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by thesicilian: 9:42am On Jan 27, 2017
bakingsoda:

You left no room for debate at bolded. Just ignore me please.

Haha. Noticed that too, the Totally wrong stuff. Its not a very nice way to start a discussion, most especially when the topic at hand is based on opinion and not an exact science.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by LekkiHost: 9:44am On Jan 27, 2017
thesicilian:

Haha. Noticed that too, the Totally wrong stuff. Its not a very nice way to start a discussion, most especially when the topic at hand is based on opinion and not an exact science.
Thank you for that! grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by vislabraye(m): 10:16am On Jan 27, 2017
LekkiHost:
I keep wondering why most employers do not promote their employees and this came to my mind..The reason why employers do not promote their employee is that most employees do only what they are told to do..they are not willing to do more, think more or even go the extra mile.
They lack initiative and professionalism.some employees are not willing to learn and develop soft skills needed for them to succeed in their career. they do not do things that exceeds the management expectation and most of all they don't think like a manager but like employee......what else do you think could deprive an employee from being promoted?

https://www.lekkihost.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.new#new

While some of the things you say are true, you should also note that many employers have their own issues. For instance we have Indians and Lebanese who exploit their workers. I don't know whether you've been hearing of poor working condition.
Or may be you are a teacher in a private school. You are an engineering graduate looking for a job. You are asked to teach maths, physics, further maths, intro tech and/or chemistry. How can an employee function well.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by vislabraye(m): 10:23am On Jan 27, 2017
Appswheel:

[Intuitive - You dont always wait to be told what to do. You take initiative.
Innovative- You suggest ideas of how to increase company profits, improve company products and services.

Nice points...
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by Standing5(m): 10:26am On Jan 27, 2017
onward4life:

Talk of illegal Jobs. I have Neva had an employment letter since I ve been working.

Talking about promotion to an indian/lebanese they would log on тo nairaland and ѕaнara reporт card to do a background check oғ yυ and υr tribe so to know hw to handle yu according to trbal comments. Cos dey use our hatred for one another to manage us

promotion WOW WOW Now that's an attempted coup
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by LekkiHost: 11:05am On Jan 27, 2017
vislabraye:

While some of the things you say are true, you should also note that many employers have their own issues. For instance we have Indians and Lebanese who exploit their workers. I don't know whether you've been hearing of poor working condition.
Or may be you are a teacher in a private school. You are an engineering graduate looking for a job. You are asked to teach maths, physics, further maths, intro tech and/or chemistry. How can an employee function well.
I get your point.Like i said its just my opinion and if you have noticed i made use of "SOME". Anyways thanks for your view and they are really good points

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by retouchfoods(m): 5:54pm On Jan 27, 2017
nkemjacob2:
some employer do not worth ur stress. get ur pay and be ur boss
nkemjacob2:
some employer do not worth ur stress. get ur pay and be ur boss

being your own boss would have been the best option but the price is often the difficult to pay.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by sweetilicious(f): 8:27pm On Jan 27, 2017
Yannny:
As an employee too don't be dependent. Work hard on yourself not your work. If you work hard on yourself, it will fetch you a FORTUNE and if you work hard in your place of work, it will only fetch you a LIVING.

#THINKIT

MY MOTOR
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by retouchfoods(m): 6:47am On Jan 02, 2020
44chux:

Join/Form a LABOUR UNION!!!

Does labour union still help matter today? I really thought it was in the past.

Some employer may even sack you with your union and wait for the case.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by 44chux(m): 8:17am On Jan 12, 2020
retouchfoods:

Does labour union still help matter today? I really thought it was in the past.

Some employer may even sack you with your union and wait for the case.
It’s the oldest trick in the book: cut off the head of the snake and hope that the others will fall in line. Only works when there is a weak resolve or disunity. The management that uses this approach has usually studied the body language of the workers well enough before calling their bluff

Labor unions are the last hope of the unconnected common worker

Its like chess board game with strategies many centuries old. There be 2 sides: Management vs workers, with each trying to bully the other while fearing a reprisal or backlash.

It must be noted that management is not the owner of the biz, but just a fellow employee.

Management no.1 tool is the power to sack, but they cannot sack so much workers at a time as to significantly reduce production targets, thereby generating significant losses.

The biz owner is usually interested in only two things: the balance sheet & company reputation. If the management cannot deliver on both, then they start head hunting for new management.

Union no.1 tool is to grind the system to a halt, but they cannot do that longterm least the biz owner decides to packup and go to another viable option elsewhere.
Re: Reasons Why Employers Do Not Promote Their Employees by karbie(f): 11:58pm On Jun 14, 2020
Self study and ace your examinations with the right study packs, like I did.

Prepare for your ACCA and ICAN (ATS & Professional) examinations with the ICAN new study packs for all levels and get all necessary past questions and answers for a token.

Click on the whatsapp link below to get them https:///2347084890881

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coy I Worked For Refused To Pay Me My Expenses, Pensions And One Month In Lieu / Is It Too Late To Change Careers At 40? / How To Start Egg Supply Business (step By Step)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.