Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:53 AM

10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria (16849 Views)

Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? / "Don't Ever Take No For An Answer" - Pretty Lady Says After Getting A Job.Photos / 10 Things A Graduate Should Do While Waiting For A Good Job Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by JennieCutie4U(f): 8:21am On Jan 27, 2017
self reliance seem to be answer now o...open up ur own organisation and be ur own boss. learn a skill nd mk ur own money with it... dat seem to be way now o my fellow youths. God help us all

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by AlfaSeltzer(m): 8:33am On Jan 27, 2017
Thank Satan I'm an Igboman. Created my own job myself. No begging.
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by mavelos1o(m): 8:35am On Jan 27, 2017
my tax monthly is between 45-85k. and my salary is 80k. working every weekend gives me overtime work 55k. tax alone removes my overtime and i work in the engineering department where i must work weekends. so it's technically free work
Montaque:
If u negotiated ur salary well, they will come with salary deduction mechanisms to show u that u aint wiser
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by 44chux(m): 8:46am On Jan 27, 2017
Never appear desperate or too serious in a job interview.
Also I little background check on both the company and the key person(s) interviewing you will make you look very smart.
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Appswheel(m): 8:55am On Jan 27, 2017
Quite interesting. One thing is certain. Job Interview and getting employment is a process. For a few who are lucky, they get a job at their first interview. For many others it takes more than one attempt, there is no crime in this. The most important thing is for job applicants to prepare themselves well for interviews and gain more composure and confidence after each interview. I invite you to subscribe to my series, The Memoir of a Job Seeker, where I share my interview experiences and how I secured jobs, the information shared will help you perform better at your next interview
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Fabulouski(m): 8:57am On Jan 27, 2017
Self employment still the best.
Look for something good and do instead of updating your cv endlessly.
Meanwhile check my signature

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by ItzWonderz(m): 9:15am On Jan 27, 2017
Montaque:
If u negotiated ur salary well, they will come with salary deduction mechanisms to show u that u aint wiser

Am tellin u man,,,u"ll ave no choice dan to agree given d situation in Nigeria
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:27am On Jan 27, 2017
GeoOla25:
Deloitte Akintola be like Why should we hire you? ...I be like why did you call me for interview...

Lol grin

So funny grin

Perfect answer cheesy

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Tidamsel: 9:33am On Jan 27, 2017
onismate:

1. Your First interview might not land you the job
: You just finished NYSC and got an invite from your dream company for an interview. And it’s your first in your first ever interview. From what I discovered, your first interview might not land you the job. Am not saying it cannot “but” might not. As a fresh graduate I was so happy at the invitation of my first post NYSC interview. It looked as if I had gotten the job. I have done the interview, months past and I’m still going to numerous interviews.
2. The fact you were invited for an interview does not mean you have the job: I know many people go dey happy say so-so company invite them for interview. You will come for that interview and after everything you won’t hear from the company again.
3. Experience matters: Yes! Your number of years of experience in other organizations or elsewhere matters a lot. It would determine whether the job will be given to you or not.
4. Your years of experience are sometimes used to negotiate your salary: Many a times you have a laid down plan and salary to give to the company if hired. But forget that thing joor. When they see that you have just a year experience from the previous company you worked. The company would rather hire or pay fat salaries to those who have more experience than those without or least years’ experience.
5. You will meet interviewers who know nothing or less about the job role they are interviewing you for, but yet still argue and deny you the job: I have gone for numerous interviews that the interviewers know nothing much about the job role because it’s relatively new and broad in the industry. Yet they will still argue with you that you are wrong in the answers you gave them. They deny you the offer.
6. You applied for a job role and got the job, more responsibilities the organization didn’t tell you about will be added to the job: I went for an interview for the role of a social media personnel. After the interview the CEO of the organization called me. She started asking numerous questions like, “if I could drive a car?” Because sometimes I will have to drive her around. Some organizations would definitely add more responsibilities and roles to the ones given to you.
7. Getting a good job in Nigeria is not easy: My dear, getting a good job in Nigeria is not easy. When you get a very good job, it looks as if you won a world cup.
8. Some interviewers are the Devil’s special assistants: Some interviewers are just bent on frustrating you. They put you on a very hot fire by asking embarrassing questions. The desperate and gullible applicants often fall prey to them. There are cases where interviewers ask applicants if they are in a relationship and their financial status. It’s so unprofessional.
9. After hiring you, they may decide to sack you and nothing will happen: This one is as a result of our Nigeria’s poor labour laws. Employers threats their workers anyhow and nothing happens. They will sack you and nothing will happen because they know that there are thousands ready and willing to replace you.
10. The best might not be the ones that get the job: This is absolutely correct. After interview, the successful ones might not be the best. The only thing is that luck ran out of the unsuccessful ones, the successful ones were favoured. Na only God fit give favour oo.

http://hovabuzz.com/frontline/1290-10-things-i-wasn-t-told-about-getting-a-job-in-nigeria-after-nysc

True talk dear
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by zukor: 9:47am On Jan 27, 2017
Some firms seeking for employee will be like, he or she must 25 years old and a BSc graduate First Class and must have 3 years working experience.
Nigeria Employers are so wicked and greedy, they are not always ready to pay.
Can you imagine a firm offer a BSc first class degree a monthly salary of 30k.
That so bad.
People are suffering
NO WORK NO MONEY
THERE IS WORK AND AT THE END OF THE MONTH YOUR SALARY WON'T SUSTAIN YOU UP TO 2WEEKS BEFORE IT FINISH
LET MAKE NIGERIA GREAT AGAIN
I support 2face
I support Burna Boy
I support Olamide
I support Ice-Prince
I am strongly in support of the upcoming protest rally.
I rep Nigeria
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by GeoOla25(m): 9:57am On Jan 27, 2017
Amelian:

Lol grin
So funny grin
Perfect answer cheesy
smiles

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by nkemjacob2(m): 10:27am On Jan 27, 2017
look at d bad state of d nigeria labor force... pple re suffering expecially youth..ur bastard politicians don't hw hard it is to get job in dis country.. MMM came to save at least media nd ur dead government don't want pple progress..
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by ephi123(f): 10:34am On Jan 27, 2017
GeoOla25:
Deloitte Akintola be like Why should we hire you? ...I be like why did you call me for interview...

haha!
But really, that is the perfect opportunity to sell yourself and clinch the job.
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by rhymesnoni(m): 10:45am On Jan 27, 2017
Yannny:
We need youths that will create and not chase jobs in Nigeria.
PLS TELL ME, HW CAN U CREATE JOB WIT LITTLE OR NO CAPITAL??

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Yannny: 11:05am On Jan 27, 2017
rhymesnoni:
PLS TELL ME, HW CAN U CREATE JOB WIT LITTLE OR NO CAPITAL??
You start from somewhere bro. There should be regard for growth.
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by rhymesnoni(m): 11:23am On Jan 27, 2017
Yannny:

You start from somewhere bro. There should be regard for growth.
sumwia? hw?? pls enlighten me.
am a graduate with no capital hw do i establish ma self?
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by bologzy(m): 11:26am On Jan 27, 2017
no 5 is very true
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by crownbryan(m): 11:55am On Jan 27, 2017
Some interviewers are the devil's special assistant grin

Op is badh.

Meanwhile, should-schools-expel-teenagers-who-get-pregnant; what-can-a-parent-do? join the discussion

http://www.allaboutschoolsng.com/discussion-forum/school-matters/2-should-schools-expel-teenagers-who-get-pregnant-what-can-a-parent-do
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jan 27, 2017
rhymesnoni:

sumwia? hw?? pls enlighten me.
am a graduate with no capital hw do i establish ma self?
Apply for grants like Tony Elumelu Foundation and Youwin(donno the name Buhari gave the new one). Or better still take a loan from Bank of Industry or any other financial institution that assists graduates with a good investment/business plan.
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by vislabraye(m): 12:47pm On Jan 27, 2017
Ifeconwaba:
Sometimes all this job interview, unemployment this and that want to make me regret going to school

Don't regret. It's just a matter of time.
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by vislabraye(m): 12:51pm On Jan 27, 2017
mavelos1o:
my tax monthly is between 45-85k. and my salary is 80k. working every weekend gives me overtime work 55k. tax alone removes my overtime and i work in the engineering department where i must work weekends. so it's technically free work

The tax is too high. Tax is supposed to be 30% of your income after some allowances are removed.
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by rishg: 3:13pm On Jan 27, 2017
Thanks for posting this info. apk trek I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. nba 2k15 apk I can't wait to read lots of your posts. nba jam apk Thanks for sharing in detail. nba 2k17 apk Your blog is an inspiration! nba 2k16 apk Apart of really useful tips, clash clans apk it's just really! tango apk Superbly written article, xposed installer apk if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, true skate apk the internet would be a far better place. diskdigger pro
clash royale apk
az screen recorder
gunship battle mod apk
busybox apk
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Bollove: 2:59am On Jan 28, 2017
Ifeconwaba:
Sometimes all this job interview, unemployment this and that want to make me regret going to school
School doesn't mean u should work for somebody !!
The essence of school is to get u educated, the essence of school is to make u knowledgeable, the essence of school is to instill some skills and trainings in you !!!

So, if you don't even know the essence of schooling, how would you know how to use your schooling to get a job ?

and today, it is an highly competitive world ..... whether white collar job or business or vocational trainings, you have to hustle your way out to be successful ....

We must all remain strong and keep working harder and smarter, the lord is our strength !!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zodiac Link Recruitment / How I Responded To A Fake Job Interview / Vacancies @ Consolidated Breweries Plc-dec.2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.