Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,153 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:34 AM

Read About The Dahomey kingdom - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Read About The Dahomey kingdom (2776 Views)

Dahomey-amazon-warriors Vs The Yorubas / Falowo Moyinoluwa Installed As A Regent In Ibulesoro Kingdom, Ondo (Pictures) / Zainab Ibrahim Sarkin Gobir Adiya Making Waves In United Kingdom. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 10:25pm On Jan 27, 2017
Dahomey (/dəˈhoʊmi/) was an African kingdom (located in the area of the present-day country of Benin) that existed from about 1600 until 1894, when the last king, Behanzin, was defeated by the French, and the country was annexed into the French colonial empire. Dahomey developed on the Abomey Plateau amongst the Fon people in the early 17th century and became a regional power in the 18th century by conquering key cities on the Atlantic coast.

For much of the 18th and 19th centuries, the Kingdom of Dahomey was a key regional state, eventually ending tributary status to the Oyo Empire.[1] The Kingdom of Dahomey was an important regional power that had an organized domestic economy built on conquest and slave labor, significant international trade with European powers, a centralized administration, taxation systems, and an organized military. Notable in the kingdom were significant artwork, an all-female military unit known as the Dahomey Amazons, and the elaborate religious practices of Vodun with the large festival of the Annual Customs of Dahomey.

MILITARY

When going into battle, the king would take a secondary position to the field commander with the reason given that if any spirit were to punish the commander for decisions it should not be the king.[9] Unlike other regional powers, the military of Dahomey did not have a significant cavalry (like the Oyo empire) or naval power (which prevented expansion along the coast). The Dahomey Amazons, a unit of all-female soldiers, is one of the most unusual aspects of the military of the kingdom.

DAHOMEY FEMALE SOLDIERS

The Dahomean state became widely known for its corps of female soldiers. Their origins are debated; they may have formed from a palace guard or from gbetos (female hunting teams).

They were organized around the year 1729 to fill out the army and make it look larger in battle armed only with banners, the women reportedly behaved so courageously they became a permanent corps. In the beginning the soldiers were criminals pressed into service rather than being executed. Eventually, however, the corps became respected enough that King Ghezo ordered every family to send him their daughters, with the most fit being chosen as soldiers.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahomey

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by Eshinwaju: 10:31pm On Jan 27, 2017
prince9851:
Dahomey (/dəˈhoʊmi/) was an African kingdom (located in the area of the present-day country of Benin) that existed from about 1600 until 1894, when the last king, Behanzin, was defeated by the French, and the country was annexed into the French colonial empire. Dahomey developed on the Abomey Plateau amongst the Fon people in the early 17th century and became a regional power in the 18th century by conquering key cities on the Atlantic coast.

For much of the 18th and 19th centuries, the Kingdom of Dahomey was a key regional state, eventually ending tributary status to the Oyo Empire.[1] The Kingdom of Dahomey was an important regional power that had an organized domestic economy built on conquest and slave labor, significant international trade with European powers, a centralized administration, taxation systems, and an organized military. Notable in the kingdom were significant artwork, an all-female military unit known as the Dahomey Amazons, and the elaborate religious practices of Vodun with the large festival of the Annual Customs of Dahomey.

MILITARY

When going into battle, the king would take a secondary position to the field commander with the reason given that if any spirit were to punish the commander for decisions it should not be the king.[9] Unlike other regional powers, the military of Dahomey did not have a significant cavalry (like the Oyo empire) or naval power (which prevented expansion along the coast). The Dahomey Amazons, a unit of all-female soldiers, is one of the most unusual aspects of the military of the kingdom.

DAHOMEY FEMALE SOLDIERS

The Dahomean state became widely known for its corps of female soldiers. Their origins are debated; they may have formed from a palace guard or from gbetos (female hunting teams).

They were organized around the year 1729 to fill out the army and make it look larger in battle[b], armed only with banners, the women reportedly behaved so courageously they became a permanent corps.[/b] In the beginning the soldiers were criminals pressed into service rather than being executed. Eventually, however, the corps became respected enough that King Ghezo ordered every family to send him their daughters, with the most fit being chosen as soldiers.

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dahomey

And where is the history of the flat'heads...non existent generation of ancestors of children of hate and jealousy.... grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 10:36pm On Jan 27, 2017
Eshinwaju:

And where is the history of the flat'heads...non existent generation of ancestors of children of hate and jealousy.... grin grin grin

Chai

I know its painful to hear d truth like dis
Just take heart my dear brother
I am not d one dat rote history

7 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by EternalTruths: 10:40pm On Jan 27, 2017
The terror of Afonjas

3 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 10:40pm On Jan 27, 2017
@freemancipation, come and see dat tin I was telling u about telling afonjas d bitter truth

5 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by Eastactivist: 10:42pm On Jan 27, 2017
Look at the conquerors and extinguishers of Afonja race... grin

Another dahomey dey come for una cheesy
What a sweet history to behold... shocked

7 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by AntiRubbish: 10:45pm On Jan 27, 2017
grin grin
Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by ridwanayo(m): 10:48pm On Jan 27, 2017
chai this osu people eh,at least yoruba spread out of s.west to other country.ighala people dn almost Chase them out of anambra Nd 3million worthless osu died in 1967 to 1970 while ojukwu ran like a shameless coward

4 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by chuka5000(m): 10:52pm On Jan 27, 2017
Eshinwaju:

women beat evil Spirit comot from ur ancestors head u come here dey blame another people wey dey mind their own biziness jeje

6 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 10:57pm On Jan 27, 2017
ridwanayo:
chai this osu people eh,at least yoruba spread out of s.west to other country.ighala people dn almost Chase them out of anambra Nd 3million worthless osu died in 1967 to 1970 while ojukwu ran like a shameless coward
well
At least d 3million Pple were not killed by mini skirt wearing pregnant women grin
Or shld I start mentionin all d con3's of d world DAT joined hand with Hausa Fulani and their slaves just to ft against Biafra? Even as we were starving to death, it still took dem 3yrz..and up till today we are still fytin for Biafra

But do u know how long it took dose girls to crush Oyo empire completely??

4days
And DAT was d end of Oyo empire

My brother plz swallow d pain
Don't let it shred ur hart completely
I am on ur side grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by ridwanayo(m): 11:06pm On Jan 27, 2017
prince9851:
well
At least d 3million Pple were not killed by mini skirt wearing pregnant women grin
Or shld I start mentionin all d con3's of d world DAT joined hand with Hausa Fulani and their slaves just to ft against Biafra? Even as we were starving to death, it still took dem 3yrz..and up till today we are still fytin for Biafra

But do u know how long it took dose girls to crush Oyo empire completely??

4days
And DAT was d end of Oyo empire

My brother plz swallow d pain
Don't let it shred ur hart completely
I am on ur side grin
at least my tribe is not asking for freedom like the tribe of the osu.It's only slaves that ask for freedom.

Igbo people keep carrying yoruba matter on hhead nd keep begging yoruba to release them from the zoo.

btw are u an ebonyi osu or abia osu

LasGidiOwner my igbo brother from anambra come nd see this abia osu oh

4 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 11:17pm On Jan 27, 2017
ridwanayo:
at least my tribe is not asking for freedom like the tribe of the osu.It's only slaves that ask for freedom.

Igbo people keep carrying yoruba matter on hhead nd keep begging yoruba to release them from the zoo.

btw are u an ebonyi osu or abia osu

LasGidiOwner my igbo brother from anambra come nd see this abia osu oh

Eyaaa
I tried as much as possible to remove all d parts of did article DAT I suspected were going to pierce d heart of afonjas and giv dem hypertension

But it seems dat even d lightest truth is bitter for u Pple

There is nothin I can do again bro
Just let d tears flow freely
Let it not give u hi BP

5 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by ridwanayo(m): 11:24pm On Jan 27, 2017
prince9851:

Eyaaa
I tried as much as possible to remove all d parts of did article DAT I suspected were going to pierce d heart of afonjas and giv dem hypertension

But it seems dat even d lightest truth is bitter for u Pple

There is nothin I can do again bro
Just let d tears flow freely
Let it not give u hi BP
see this osu from abia talking.u keep calling afonja cowards but u av been beating u hairy chest about saving nnamdi kanu,yet the albino osu has used more than a year in the zoo cage.well tellin an osu with compressed skull he his everybody slave is like telling a mad man he his mad he would never agree

2 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by Eshinwaju: 11:27pm On Jan 27, 2017
prince9851:

Chai

I know its painful to hear d truth like dis
Just take heart my dear brother
I am not d one dat rote history

ipod miscreant... grin.. go back to school

2 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 11:30pm On Jan 27, 2017
ridwanayo:
see this osu from abia talking.u keep calling afonja cowards but u av been beating u hairy chest about saving nnamdi kanu,yet the albino osu has used more than a year in the zoo cage.well tellin an osu with compressed skull he his everybody slave is like telling a mad man he his mad he would never agree
Chai
Which of my posts did u see me chest beating of savin KANU?
Frustration is now making u to see double abi?
Please stop suppressin d tears
Let it flow
It is history
D deed has already been done..it is not 'OSU' Pple dat caused dis
We were on our own wen did was happenin
Take hart my dear broda
I stand by u grin

6 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 11:33pm On Jan 27, 2017
Eshinwaju:

ipod miscreant... grin.. go back to school
Honestly
I never knew dis thread will inflict so much pain on or shiny cone shaped skulls
Lol
Can't somebody write history again? grin

6 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by ridwanayo(m): 11:33pm On Jan 27, 2017
prince9851:

Chai
Which of my posts did u see me chest beating of savin KANU?
Frustration is now making u to see double abi?
Please stop suppressin d tears
Let it flow
It is history
D deed has already been done..it is not 'OSU' Pple dat caused dis
We were on our own wen did was happenin
Take hart my dear broda
I stand by u grin
Lol why not let's talk about the history of the cursed osu blood.I heard anambra are the free born Nd other igbo's especially abia Nd enugu are the low breed osu

2 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by Eshinwaju: 11:37pm On Jan 27, 2017
prince9851:

Honestly
I never knew dis thread will inflict so much pain on or shiny cone shaped skulls
Lol
Can't somebody write history again? grin

Your primitive stupidity is beyond belief...Yorubas will never be your mate....hateful miscreants all over NL these days...shame... angry

2 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 11:38pm On Jan 27, 2017
ridwanayo:
Lol why not let's talk about the history of the cursed osu blood.I heard anambra are the free born Nd other igbo's especially abia Nd enugu are the low breed osu

Chai

Dis tin must've really pierced ur souls
Trying to change topic??
Don't b ashamed of or history plz
Tell us wat happened DAT full grown men and kings were defeated by pregnant 16year old show-belle shirt / mini-skirt wearin Dahomey girls grin

5 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 11:41pm On Jan 27, 2017
Eshinwaju:

Your primitive stupidity is beyond belief...Yorubas will never be your mate....hateful miscreants all over NL these days...shame... angry

Chai
I don't hate Yorubas..I am just rytin about a historical event grin

Accept my sympathy

3 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by ridwanayo(m): 11:42pm On Jan 27, 2017
prince9851:

Chai

Dis tin must've really pierced ur souls
Trying to change topic??
Don't b ashamed of or history plz
Tell us wat happened DAT full grown men and kings were defeated by pregnant 16year old girlsgirls grin
can't blame u though osu people have no history,why other tribes were building kingdoms osu people were running naked in the Bush nd were eating each other nd displaying their cannibalistic tendency.so I can't blame u if u obsessed with other people history cause u av No history.

the nri kingdom was cursed it has no history except from stories about osu's nd free born cool

1 Like

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 11:47pm On Jan 27, 2017
ridwanayo:
can't blame u though osu people have no history,why other tribes were building kingdoms osu people were running naked in the Bush nd were eating each other nd displaying their cannibalistic tendency.so I can't blame u if u obsessed with other people history cause u av No history.

the nri kingdom was cursed it has no history except from stories about osu's nd free born cool

Call me osu from now till next year
I will not report u
I will not call u names
And I will not change d topic
because I stand by ur side my dear broda grin
History can b very difficult to accept

4 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by ridwanayo(m): 11:48pm On Jan 27, 2017
prince9851:

Call me osu from now till next year
I will not report u
I will not call u names
And I will not change d topic
because I stand by ur side my dear broda grin
History can b very difficult to accept
Am a proud afonja u should also be a proud osu.what's shameful about being an osu
Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by Eshinwaju: 11:49pm On Jan 27, 2017
prince9851:

Chai
I don't hate Yorubas..I am just rytin about a historical event grin

Accept my sympathy

Joseph Goebbels it was who said that if one keeps repeating a lie oftern and it is not countered, it eventually becomes fact.... grin grin..where is your proof of this ever happening ....as against my proof about ojuku the egomaniac who ran away to Abijan having failed his people only to come back to contest as an ordinary senator and could not succeed
Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 11:52pm On Jan 27, 2017
ridwanayo:
Am a proud afonja u should also be a proud osu.what's shameful about being an osu
in d 1st place I don't even know wat osu means
I am a proud igbo

2 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 11:53pm On Jan 27, 2017
Eshinwaju:

Joseph Goebbels it was who said that if one keeps repeating a lie oftern and it is not countered, it eventually becomes fact.... grin grin..where is your proof of this ever happening ....as against my proof about ojuku the egomaniac who ran away to Abijan having failed his people only to come back to contest as an ordinary senator and could not succeed
Now u have nothing to say again.
U are now saying DAT dis is a lie
Sorry iya grin

1 Like

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by ridwanayo(m): 11:57pm On Jan 27, 2017
prince9851:
I am a proud igbo
osu are the lowlife igbo people who are slaves under the osu caste system.must igbo on nairaland are osu Nd u should learn to wear the osu symbol with pride same way yoruba's av learnt to wear the name afonja with pride

the proud of ur osu symbol cause av learnt to be proud of the afonja symbol nd it doesn't hurt any more
Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by ridwanayo(m): 11:58pm On Jan 27, 2017
prince9851:
I am a proud igbo
osu are the lowlife igbo people who are slaves under the osu caste system.must igbo on nairaland are osu Nd u should learn to wear the osu symbol with pride same way yoruba's av learnt to wear the name afonja with pride

the proud of ur osu symbol cause av learnt to be proud of the afonja symbol nd it doesn't hurt any more.

so mr.osu slave can u tell me your history be it bad or good
Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 7:54am On Jan 28, 2017
ridwanayo:

the proud of ur osu symbol cause av learnt to be proud of the afonja symbol nd it doesn't hurt any more.

so mr.osu slave can u tell me your history be it bad or good
Dat one will b for another thread
Focus on dis topic
Let us talk about d pple dat put an end to d GREAT OYO EMPIRE grin
Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by Nowenuse: 8:46am On Jan 28, 2017
It's hightime Igbos wear the Osu identity with pride and let it rest. Cos yorubas now wear Afonja with pride.

The new logo should be
Proudly Igbo
Proudly Osu.. LoL grin grin
Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by prince9851(m): 9:06am On Jan 28, 2017
Nowenuse:
It's hightime Igbos wear the Osu identity with pride and let it rest. Cos yorubas now wear Afonja with pride.

The new logo should be
Proudly Igbo
Proudly Osu.. LoL grin grin
Absorb d pain my dear brother dis topic has nothing to do with Igbo at aaaaallll vent ur anger on d 16yr old Dahomey axe wielding show belle Tshirt wearing
Valkyries dat made full grown men with akpogbi to run like fowls
Igbo did not do anything to u
Stop ventin to anger on dem
Just let d tears flow freely..don't fyt it
I'm on or side cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Read About The Dahomey kingdom by leederrty1997: 3:06pm On Jan 28, 2017
The Dahomey women warriors (Amazon women) were highly skilled in battle. Here is a link to an account of the Egba- Dahomey War (1851-1864)
https://oldnaija./2016/09/17/the-egba-dahomey-war-1851-1864/

(1) (2) (Reply)

27 Ways Black People Are Brainwashed From Birth / Ipob And Precolonial "Igboland" / Tribalism In Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.