Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,633 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

Entomologist In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Entomologist In Nigeria (1493 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Entomologist In Nigeria by markcute: 2:51pm On Jan 28, 2017
if you are an entomologist or you studied entomology course in the university,lets meet here and discuss d role and relevance of entomology in nigeria agriciltute
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by markcute: 2:58pm On Jan 28, 2017
entomology is is the study of insects which are of direct and indirect concern concern concern to man and d application of such knowledge to controlling harm ful insects and enhancing beneficial ones
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by markcute: 3:03pm On Jan 28, 2017
the interest of applied entomology became necessary upon upon the advent of commercial agriculture
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by markcute: 3:05pm On Jan 28, 2017
if u have knowledge about entomology,let's discuss about entomology entomological important in Nigeria
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by markcute: 3:07pm On Jan 28, 2017
it is estimated estimated that 50% of of agriculture produce are loss lost to pests
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by majorgr: 2:24am On Jan 29, 2017
we will need to discuss the way forward and establish our own insect pest catalogue of various states and seasons in Nigeria. i solicit the use of visual aids that is taking pictures of the pest we see on our farm land and pasting it here for identification and further possible control... it will be nice to help traditional farmers understand the true meaning of insect pest... also, i propose starting a branch of entomology termed ethnoentomology that is the indigenous knowledge of entomology..
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by Pavore9: 6:45am On Jan 29, 2017
markcute:
the interest of applied entomology became necessary upon upon the advent of commercial agriculture

How can one commercially rear winged termites?

2 Likes

Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by curiousmind11: 7:10am On Jan 29, 2017
Pavore9:

Your question is very on point. I wish @OP has an answer. Those winged termites are delicious delicacy in some regions in Africa

1 Like

Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by Pavore9: 7:16am On Jan 29, 2017
curiousmind11:

Your question is very on point. I wish @OP has an answer. Those winged termites are delicious delicacy in some regions in Africa

I bumped into it in a store in Kenya where it has been fried and packaged in 100gm packs....It got me thinking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by plenty9316(m): 12:31pm On Jan 29, 2017
Termite is one insect of interest that if well harnessed can change the face of fellow entomologists but sincerely getting to study the queen biology on how she will give us answers to your question is a task I will be glad to be part of. Little is documented on termite in this clime. I am a flier, are u?
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by markcute: 1:56pm On Jan 29, 2017
Pavore9:

i ve not heard of such rearing practice.can u give a background info on dis
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by markcute: 1:59pm On Jan 29, 2017
majorgr:
we will need to discuss the way forward and establish our own insect pest catalogue of various states and seasons in Nigeria. i solicit the use of visual aids that is taking pictures of the pest we see on our farm land and pasting it here for identification and further possible control... it will be nice to help traditional farmers understand the true meaning of insect pest... also, i propose starting a branch of entomology termed ethnoentomology that is the indigenous knowledge of entomology..
u re right.most farmers dont understand d concept of pest mgt

1 Like

Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by markcute: 2:01pm On Jan 29, 2017
majorgr:
i know of ethnobotany but i ve not heard of ethnoentomology.is it all about drugs derived from insects
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by plenty9316(m): 4:33pm On Jan 29, 2017
Ethnoentomolgy- i think we can simply put it as study of indegenous insects as proposed by markcute. We can help ourselves (farmers and non farmers) in our country by sharing worthy knowledge about this creature INSECTs found almost everywhere u can think of.
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by Pavore9: 5:53pm On Jan 29, 2017
markcute:

i ve not heard of such rearing practice.can u give a background info on dis

That is why l seek views of those who have studied it in school to enlighten me because l have seen it in a store all year round and thus believing it is not limited to the raining season.
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by markcute: 7:53pm On Jan 29, 2017
Pavore9:

That is why l seek views of those who have studied it in school to enlighten me because l have seen it in a store all year round and thus believing it is not limited to the raining season.
i m a final yr student studying zoology(applied entomology)i ll make enquiry for you
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by majorgr: 1:47am On Jan 30, 2017
markcute:

i know of ethnobotany but i ve not heard of ethnoentomology.is it all about drugs derived from insects
ethno- from the word ethnic meaning indigenous then entomology... they really dont have it.. we can begin its concept by understanding how indigenous knowledge is applied to manage insect pest infestation.. when we have gathered alot of knowledge on it, then it will be recognized as a branch of entomology. thats why im using this forum to invite traditional farmers to share their native knowledge on how they identify diff pest and manage them..
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by Newway2(m): 9:54pm On Feb 01, 2017
This is going to be an interesting discuss/research.

I will want to suggest that d discussions shld also include d benefits of insect & how it can be harnessed to enhance agriculture.

for example, in animal husbandy, d most expensive ingredients is d protein content. Now, conventionally, ds protein has mostly come from fish sources.

Recent research abroad is now focusing on how we can make use of insect protein.

we hv had work on cockroaches, flies (maggot) etc & hopefully as suggested by pavore, termites.

U guys shld gv us a simple & cost effective ways of raising ds insects to get protein for animal feed.

By d way, am a farmer.

1 Like

Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by menama(m): 11:38pm On Feb 01, 2017
Can crickets be reared commercially in Nigeria?
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by markcute: 6:36pm On Feb 02, 2017
insects can be reared for commercial purpuse.i m about to start bee keeping very soon
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by Newway2(m): 6:54pm On Feb 02, 2017
markcute:
insects can be reared for commercial purpuse.i m about to start bee keeping very soon

Apart from bees, which hv bn kept & reared for thousands of years, which other insect can we domesticate commercially in our environment to serve as protein feed stock for animals?
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by majorgr: 1:31am On Feb 03, 2017
Pavore9:

by creating an artificial termitarium, most zoos abroad rear termites to feed mokeys who will use twigs themselves to probe these termites out. you will have to simulate such an ecological niche that supports their development and since they hav short reproductive period, it wouldnt take time to have them in millions. they also can feed on wood they are known to house bacterials in their gut that can digest and convert wood to usable glucose for them. Check online on how to create an artificial termitarium and go to an actual termitarium carefully dig out the queen, they will multiply where d queen is....
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by majorgr: 1:34am On Feb 03, 2017
menama:
Can crickets be reared commercially in Nigeria?
yes and yes. it is extremely a bombing business in america and other parts of the world... they also rear them as fishing baits thats y dey never lack customers. watch youtube clips on cricket rearing you will be wowed!
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by curiousmind11: 4:01am On Feb 03, 2017
majorgr:
yes and yes. it is extremely a bombing business in america and other parts of the world... they also rear them as fishing baits thats y dey never lack customers. watch youtube clips on cricket rearing you will be wowed!

Good that you went to do some search for the information. Information is wealth. In addition to your planned catalogue, you can make money raising this insects for farmers or feed formulation.
Re: Entomologist In Nigeria by Pavore9: 6:11am On Feb 03, 2017
majorgr:
by creating an artificial termitarium, most zoos abroad rear termites to feed mokeys who will use twigs themselves to probe these termites out. you will have to simulate such an ecological niche that supports their development and since they hav short reproductive period, it wouldnt take time to have them in millions. they also can feed on wood they are known to house bacterials in their gut that can digest and convert wood to usable glucose for them. Check online on how to create an artificial termitarium and go to an actual termitarium carefully dig out the queen, they will multiply where d queen is....

Thanks. This has given me an idea on what to read up on.

(1) (Reply)

Big Sized Cattle Available For Xmas/New year celebration / Rice Paddy Available For Sale / Farmpower And Equipment Nigeria Enterprise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.