Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,306 members, 7,957,788 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 08:14 PM

Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) (43101 Views)

Negotiating Car Price With A Dealer: Top Tips To Know / Ridiculous Car Price On Jiji And Olx / #2.20kobo: First Driving Licence My Dad Acquired In 1975(Photos). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by kenzysmith: 9:38pm On Jan 29, 2017
Like u ba
jjeeff:
u dey craz
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jan 29, 2017
For me o, i believe things were better now than before, if not where people like us wan get car, i mean young dude
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jan 29, 2017
Kiakia:
Wrong. Your friend did not tell you the truth. In1984, a brand new Peugeot 505 sold for N7000 and not N25000. I know this for a fact.

I might be wrong but I know he said he bought the car N25000. He was gonna buy VW Santana but it was not in stock from kaduna to Lagos. He claimed that Santana was going for N13000 but he couldn't lay his hands on one. Eventually he bought 505.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by blank(f): 9:47pm On Jan 29, 2017
I remember using a fridge my dad bought 1500naira in 1990 from 2002 in uni. It still worked very well and I had the receipt in case of harassment by police.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by kingyang: 9:48pm On Jan 29, 2017
kenzysmith:
Buh my prick still dey scratch me sha

use am scrape wall.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Kay17: 9:52pm On Jan 29, 2017
nurey:

I still maintain things were cheap then and had quality not the Bullshit we have from China now. Back then the government was actually working for people. The government paid for my dad's travels allover the world, paid for developing his career.

Back then things were fairly OK because though we had corruption, oil wasn't our main stay, agriculture was booming and Britain still had great influence on us then. Am talking about Era when fuel was sold for 22/litre.

Nostalgia has its way of creating a heaven from the past

1 Like

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by slimzypink(f): 9:59pm On Jan 29, 2017
u all Nigerians don't be unfortunate. even America prices of cars those days have changed . prices of those days ve changed everywhere
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 29, 2017
nurey:

My brother no be small thing, in 2015 to early 2016 I went to price elegant gen all those 5.5hp size, with tire, kick start and two plug mouth, it was 35-40k, fast forward December 2016 nah so I majestically enter market price same gen manual, no tire one socket mouth nah him I hear 90, I use cotton bud clean ear, the guy talk say 90k, and I pass my neighbor is now 35k from 10-15k, I just laugh and carry my 2 bow legs Waka go house

There is a house around amawbia junction by agbani road Enugu. 042 guys would know the place if it's still operating. My uncles in Ss1 who's come back from wukari and Lagos would enter the place with N5- N10...yes less than ten naira per nyu (round) but how many people could afford those then. This was pocket money saved for that purpose.

Transport from gariki to ogbete was 10 kobo on 'small joe' buses (molue) but how many people could afford those. Okpa and coke were 10kobo and 20 kobo those days but people were hungry.

Life is sweet now jare. Young girls would be carrying iphone7 worth hundreds of naira. How many people would afford these then.
A plate of food at Ekpo refectory at UNN was N1.50kobo. With Less than 100 naira, you'll pay tuition, student fees, accommodation and etc but money was hard to get then.

How many people had up to N50 in their accounts then with their passbooks then? Lots of people with two or three phones now, lots of bank cards....bro life is sweet now. Forget recession. Those days guys would normally struggle to buy valentine cards, short bread biscuits and five alive for their dates. Now people would send out plane tickets and disappear at obudu ranch.

Good old days is gone. This is better modern days...life is better and things are cheaper now. Those days when you see a jerry curled haired man with camera coming back from Yankee, you'll bow. Today everyone can travel and can afford it. Emeka can travel to Malay or Munich and back in five days flexing with no one even noticing that he left.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by nurey(m): 10:20pm On Jan 29, 2017
gbosaa:

There is a house around amawbia junction by agbani road Enugu. 042 guys would know the place if it's still operating. My uncles in Ss1 who's come back from wukari and Lagos would enter the place with N5- N10...yes less than ten naira per nyu (round) but how many people could afford those then. This was pocket money saved for that purpose.

Transport from gariki to ogbete was 10 kobo on 'small joe' buses (molue) but how many people could afford those. Okpa and coke were 10kobo and 20 kobo those days but people were hungry.

Life is sweet now jare. Young girls would be carrying iphone7 worth hundreds of naira. How many people would afford these then.
A plate of food at Ekpo refectory at UNN was N1.50kobo. With Less than 100 naira, you'll pay tuition, student fees, accommodation and etc but money was hard to get then.

How many people had up to N50 in their accounts then with their passbooks then? Lots of people with two or three phones now, lots of bank cards....bro life is sweet now. Forget recession. Those days guys would normally struggle to buy valentine cards, short bread biscuits and five alive for their dates. Now people would send out plane tickets and disappear at obudu ranch.

Good old days is gone. This is better modern days...life is better and things are cheaper now. Those days when you see a jerry curled haired man with camera coming back from Yankee, you'll bow. Today everyone can travel and can afford it. Emeka can travel to Malay or Munich and back in five days flexing with no one even noticing that he left.

Daddy, I am not allowed to argue with you, the only things I bought in kobo then was sumal chewing gum (now known as banana and robot). The years you are talking about am sure am not born then as I was conceived in early 1990s.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 29, 2017
nurey:

Daddy, I am not allowed to argue with you, the only things I bought in kobo then was sumal chewing gum (now known as banana and robot). The years you are talking about am sure am not born then as I was conceived in early 1990s.

Mummy I'm not arguing too. I've done my research as well. I have a little museum and I don't necessarily have to be pre 90s to know what happened then. I once saw contraceptives that expired in 1968. I kept it in my archives but stopped when family became worried that I might be a hoarder.
I like relics and stuffs like that. That includes old receipts, stamps etc
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by nurey(m): 10:30pm On Jan 29, 2017
gbosaa:

Mummy I'm not arguing too. I've done my research as well. I have a little museum and I don't necessarily have to be pre 90s to know what happened then. I once saw contraceptives that expired in 1968. I kept it in my archives but stopped when family became worried that I might be a hoarder.
I like relics and stuffs like that. That includes old receipts, stamps etc

I meant no harm but the generation you are talking about is too far, you are talking about time when Nigeria was still spending 1 naira note and still using shillings that's is close to the independent days
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by davou4eva(m): 10:39pm On Jan 29, 2017
Guy, consider time value of money
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by benji93: 10:47pm On Jan 29, 2017
nurey:
My dad bought his Toyota crown 6naira in 198x I guess that's how much the government collected from him was given to him new but sold to him after using it for a couple of years.

Things were really cheap back then. Our house was bought for 450k in 1993 it's price is now a staggering 22-25million the country is really messed up
things were not cheap, do u know how hard you would work to earn that much money
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by lucksdot: 10:49pm On Jan 29, 2017
see how things gos back then in olden days..I always cry seeing things hard for we youth now days GOD punished all the bad Leaders so sad nd feel sorry for us
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by okowande(f): 10:49pm On Jan 29, 2017
My dad bought his first car from his NYSC allowance in 1975
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by nurey(m): 10:58pm On Jan 29, 2017
benji93:

things were not cheap, do u know how hard you would work to earn that much money

Why do you keep saying things were not cheap then. Average families who couldn't afford big cars bought Mazda, Peugeot 504, Peugeot 404, Datsun. People easily bought land and built houses then.

The government made housing easy. People keep thinking I was born with a silver spoon. But the reality am trying to let people know is that when things are good, value of money increases and quantity decreases. Can you compare access to different food varieties then to now? Let's compare small things not big things
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Orikinla1: 10:58pm On Jan 29, 2017
I was earning N400 monthly from 1980-1984.
Perhaps the highest paid teenager in Nigeria then.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by tripoli007(m): 11:14pm On Jan 29, 2017
Aywire:
so, shocked shocked shocked my dad showed me the price list of cars when he wanted to buy his first car. which he bought for #3,000 in 1975... hahahaha.... can Nigeria be great again? The prices will wow you

see below

Did you ask your dad how many yrs he worked before he could save that 3000#.. How many people owned cars in 1975 compare that to the number of people that own cars now .. Ohh boy if you don't hustle or strive at whatever you are doing ,even if car is #10 no be everybody go fit afford am ... De jee nuu
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by tripoli007(m): 11:15pm On Jan 29, 2017
Orikinla1:
I was earning N400 monthly from 1980-1984.
Perhaps the highest paid teenager in Nigeria then.

U can lie for africa and the continents yet unknown
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by WHIZKIDEFE(m): 11:47pm On Jan 29, 2017
I just smile when people think things were far better n cheaper in the olden days.. If so, why didn't everyone own a car back then?
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by benji93: 11:51pm On Jan 29, 2017
nurey:

Why do you keep saying things were not cheap then. Average families who couldn't afford big cars bought Mazda, Peugeot 504, Peugeot 404, Datsun. People easily bought land and built houses then.

The government made housing easy. People keep thinking I was born with a silver spoon. But the reality am trying to let people know is that when things are good, value of money increases and quantity decreases. Can you compare access to different food varieties then to now? Let's compare small things not big things
I am sorry,but ur reposte appears as if that was not my first comment to ur post,anyway you are partially right,but there a lot of reasons why those things were possible then, as at 1983, most of the places we regard as only affordable by the affluent today were uninhabited then.I would agree with u if you argue tht our leaders then were community conscious.But you will have to understand that with increased population and civilization comes subtle changes that eventually become problems.As at 1983 the exchange rate was 1$ to 0.724 naira, you know what the exchange rate is today.Prices of cars have increased in the other countries over the years, even when the cars were indigenous, we can ascribe this to a lot of other factors.We can blame our leaders over the years for their excesses, but it would have increased nonetheless.And dont even say average families could afford it,unless ofcourse you lived independently then.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by mosyb: 12:07am On Jan 30, 2017
Aywire:
so, shocked shocked shocked my dad showed me the price list of cars when he wanted to buy his first car. which he bought for #3,000 in 1975... hahahaha.... can Nigeria be great again? The prices will wow you

see below

When Naira had value, and Men where MEN, not boys....
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by nurey(m): 12:55am On Jan 30, 2017
benji93:

I am sorry,but ur reposte appears as if that was not my first comment to ur post,anyway you are partially right,but there a lot of reasons why those things were possible then, as at 1983, most of the places we regard as only affordable by the affluent today were uninhabited then.I would agree with u if you argue tht our leaders then were community conscious.But you will have to understand that with increased population and civilization comes subtle changes that eventually become problems.As at 1983 the exchange rate was 1$ to 0.724 naira, you know what the exchange rate is today.Prices of cars have increased in the other countries over the years, even when the cars were indigenous, we can ascribe this to a lot of other factors.We can blame our leaders over the years for their excesses, but it would have increased nonetheless.And dont even say average families could afford it,unless ofcourse you lived independently then.

Not to prolong the matter, it's possible tokunbo cars weren't available /rampant then reason for non access by some families. Let's remember Peugeot was the king of the road then (in terms of number) and the government patronized and also supported them then. So it's either you bought new car or wait for a Nigerian used one.

Even the VW Beetle wasn't plenty on road then, it was in the 90s things started Changing much, Nigerians became lazy, the government virtually started looting, 2 pac induced criminal personality got old of the youths and level of education started reducing.

1 Like

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Toosure70: 2:06am On Jan 30, 2017
Reasons are Fwd:
_*The cause of Nigeria's recession is in the Mirror !*_

The fall of the Naira did not just happen overnight When Naira was stronger was when we had,
1. Peugeot Automobile Nigeria.
2. Volkswagen Nigeria.
3. Dunlop Nigeria LTD
4. Michellin, Nigeria
5. BATA.
6. LENNARDS.
7. Nigerian Airways.
8. Steel Rolling Mill, Osogbo.
9. Steel Rolling Mill, Ajaokuta
10. Arewa Textile Mill.
11. BEREC Battery.
12. ANAMCO
13. General Motors.
14. Kingsway.
15 A.G. Leventis
16 Bhojson's
17. IBM
18. IICC.
19. RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB.
20. ETC
Free fall started when we abandoned,
1. IICC for ARSENAL
2. RANGERS for MAN. U.
3. EYINMBA for LIVERPOOL.
4. NIGERIA AIRWAYS for BA
5. YANKARI for DISNEY LAND.
6. GURARA for ISRAEL.
7. IKOGOSI for UK .
8. PALM WINE for HENESSY.
9. AREWA for SWISS LACE.
10. ARIARIA for ITALIAN SHOES.
11. MAMA PUT for QUILOX.
12. OJA OBA for SHOPRITE.
There is practically nothing on ground in Nigeria to attract the dollar. Naija brands are sponsoring foreign clubs.
A bottle of Henessy is 110k in Quilox, in V.I. The voice over of ARIK AIR advert was done by an English man.
And we are growing the NAIRA!

Nigeria, being the 5th largest consumer of Japanese products in the world, do not have an Assembly Plant for Toyota.
We do not have assembly plants for Mercedes Benz, Hyundai, Honda, etc.
Despite the fast growth of broadcasting & ICT in Nigeria, we do not have assembly plants for any of the producers of all electronic appliances such as Samsung, Sony, Nokia, HP, Techno, etc.
Major software development contracts are warehoused from offshore.
Corporate Executives & politicians give more preference to foreign trainings, foreign medical services, foreign food items & foreign dresses.
With the growth in aviation, aircraft maintenance are are done offshore.
Most fishing companies have been taken over by the Indian.
Hmmmm.....

Don't look elsewhere, check the MIRROR - We are collectively CULPABLE !

Please stop developing other economies at our detriment.

Let us begin to patronise local ptoducts and grow the NAIRA !

The time to start is now
COPIED.

3 Likes

Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by sonnie10: 2:56am On Jan 30, 2017
dancok:
For me o, i believe things were better now than before, if not where people like us wan get car, i mean young dude

Gowon, ojukwu and co were heads of state in their 20's. So don't be too excited about having a car as a young man.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Kingspin(m): 4:34am On Jan 30, 2017
gbosaa:

I disagree. Things weren't cheap back then. Your house that is worth about N25m today would be worth a lot more 25 years from now.
Would it be right for someone who knew it's value today to claim that things were so cheap in 2016-17 and that people were really enjoying?
How many people could afford N100 in 1993. I saw an old bus ticket (Ekenedilichukwu coach) from Enugu to Lagos for N40. Ticket was early 90s.
Value of money is where Europe country and other develop society hit it real good. In Nigeria the value of our money is nothing to take home. You spend almost if not all that you have laboured for. In other client you can survive with minimal wages not in Nigeria.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Jmkventures: 5:42am On Jan 30, 2017
Can someone just bring back those days please!
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by khalids: 6:55am On Jan 30, 2017
nurey:

Well you are saying two different things, am not as old as you think, I just know prices due to receipts I also found as my dad and mum (especially) keeps those things. Things were cheaper those days but we could say life wasn't as easy but things are expensive nowadays but we have things that made life easier.

How much was cat fish in the late nineties, sardine was 50naira, Maggi was cheap, Maggi 2 minutes noodles was 5naira and it came with its own plate and spoon, how much was milo and bournvita, we practically had this regularly on the table. How much was cabin biscuit. Derica of rice was 35naira, beans was 20naira.

My mum cooked confirm 1 week soup for 500naira, am talking of soup with 5 lives. We ate moimoi every Sunday morning with sardine virtually swimming inside. Grinding pepper then was 10 for petrol use and 5 naira for Nepa use.

We paid 1000 monthly as Nepa bill in Ikoyi, our lister gen was bought 30k very powerful old soldier. If I tell you the price of this things I listed now, my brother, you will know things were cheap then and available to the poor.
My friend you are lost in relativity.....You are comparing price list of the past to todays currency value

Come on man/.....As at that time does prices were outrageous,,,,,and could only be afforded by the rich
Nothing has changed since then....we ares still in the same mess
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by HenryWilliams(m): 7:14am On Jan 30, 2017
CXLVII:
Remembered 1965 when I bought my first VW Beetle for 1500 Naira.

Was Naira the currency back in 65?
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by lawani: 9:02am On Jan 30, 2017
DozieInc:
Naira free falling since 1983

SO ARE YOU SAYING THEY DID NOT PRINT MONEY? DONT BE A GOVERNMENT CUSTOMER, CURRENCY FALLS IN VALUE SHARPLY ONLY WHEN MASS PRINTED BY GOVERNMENT! IT HAS ALMOST NOTHING TO DO WITH IMPORTS AS YOUR GOVERNMENT MUGU YOU! WISE UP TODAY!. WHEN OIL DOLLARS REDUCE, THEY PRINT MONEY, THE VALUE FALLS.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by pannyman(m): 9:07am On Jan 30, 2017
tripoli007:

Did you ask your dad how many yrs he worked before he could save that 3000#.. How many people owned cars in 1975 compare that to the number of people that own cars now .. Ohh boy if you don't hustle or strive at whatever you are doing ,even if car is #10 no be everybody go fit afford am ... De jee nuu

He might not have had to save to buy the car. In those days civil servants were granted loans to buy cars, and the money was deducted from their salaries over a number of years. It was the same thing for commissioned officers in the military. Life was really easy.
Re: Car Price List In Nigeria In 1975 (As Low As N500) by Tolakay: 10:43pm On Jan 30, 2017
When u understand the term : time value of money
Not everyone could afford the 3k den...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Driving Experts, What Will You Do In This Situation? (pic) / Is This The Best Car For Nigerian Roads? - Photos / What Does The ABS Sign On Dash Board Means

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.