Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

The Problems Of Being A Nigerian Anime Fan - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Problems Of Being A Nigerian Anime Fan (4156 Views)

Anime Lover's, Whats The Best 3 Anime You Have Watched / Spring Anime 2017: Hinako Note. / Top 5 Anime, Every Nigerian Anime-fan Needs To Watch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problems Of Being A Nigerian Anime Fan by Nobody: 6:32am On Jan 30, 2017
It isn’t easy being a Nigerian anime fan.

First, there is the fact that as far as anime and manga are concerned, you live in a virtual black hole. No means of buying your favorite anime or manga in any shop in the country. Your bookshop does not stock manga. Nor does it stock anime. Online shopping sites like Jumia and Konga do no stock anime or manga. And DSTV and Startimes do not have channels devoted to anime. At all.

Then there is the streaming sites. For starters. Hulu, Funmation and all the other streaming sites do not stream in Nigeria . Crunchyroll does……until you try to watch that new anime you have heard about and get a ”Not licensed for your region” message. And you want to pay for premium….until you find out that your budget for the month is tight, the government has restricted dollar spending, and Naira denominated cards are not accepted anymore for international transactions.(And shipping from Japan would eat most of your salary before you can say Konichiwa!)

So, Mr Lawabiding citizen has no choice but to turn to illegal streaming sites, and illegal downloading sites, and illegal scanlated manga sites. Sad. But what else can one do.? You hit those sites, enjoying the now doubly guilty pleasures of life….and realizing at the same time that you are contributing to the problem of starving anime of funds….which means that in the next ten years anime might become extinct.(I need a hug right now…).

And the fact is….Africa as a whole (the continent , not the country) is not a big market for manga and anime. So putting out a petition on Change.org to ”get a legal streaming site just for Africa”..won’t just cut it. (But if I won $400million in The Lottery…I would totally fund it. No?)

And then it can be lonely. You are the only fan of That anime that you know of. You do not want to tell your friends, colleagues and family that at your age you are still watching cartoons.(It is not cartoons, it is anime). You do not want to go round telling your friends about your waifu. And all those weird esoteric things like ”Yaoi, yuri, ecchi, ”….which would make your parents monitor your internet like the KGB if you are of a certain age.You do not want to talk about how that anime character is the ideal woman or man for you(because it might make your parents have another reason why you do not have a girlfriend/boyfriend at your age). And finally….it is strange.A strange hobby.

But , despite your dabbling in bad things on one side, and your fear of being caught out watching cartoons (It is anime!) on the other….you still get into a whole new world, you learn lessons that still help you, and you laugh, you cry and you grow. You get your mind off your problems, and your worries for thirty minutes every day. You dream. You love. And you get ideals.

I guess that being a Nigerian anime fan is ……somewhat fun.

But somehow…..we still need that legal streaming site!

Source: Here

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Problems Of Being A Nigerian Anime Fan by taurus25(m): 10:30am On Jan 30, 2017
lol.....alot of people are now watching anime though

1 Like

Re: The Problems Of Being A Nigerian Anime Fan by OwlCityy(f): 3:31pm On Jan 30, 2017
recently started watching anime and i'm hooked. try animania app for downloading anime. free and legal :p hope it helps
Re: The Problems Of Being A Nigerian Anime Fan by Peppul: 10:48pm On Jan 30, 2017
love the animania app but the problem there is that most anime movies don't download. so am hooked to kissanime,the best for me now. easy to download there and high quality videos selection
Re: The Problems Of Being A Nigerian Anime Fan by homesteady(m): 7:26am On Jan 31, 2017
Thank God you know it is Strange grin
Re: The Problems Of Being A Nigerian Anime Fan by Henkaige: 12:32am On Nov 22, 2021
I mean... I sell anime merchandise at affordable prices worldwide. Location doesn't matter. Just hit me up with what you want on WhatsApp https:///message/HEMPA44VYXRYE1

(1) (Reply)

Do You Watch Grey's Anatomy? / Photos: Child Actress Sharon Ezeamaka Is All Grown Up / Where To Download My Flatmates (nollywood Movie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.