Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,259 members, 7,839,313 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless (664 Views)

Prof. Kperogi Blasts Buhari And "Pigheaded Supporters" On Zakzaky Murder Charge / Top 8 Popular National Lies That Won’t Die In Nigeria - By Farooq A. Kperogi / Suspended SGF Lawal Sticks His Tongue Mocking Nigerians In Aso Rock - Kperogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless by CallMeNJay: 7:29am On Jan 31, 2017
A Hopeless Budget

By Farooq Kperogi, Ph.D.

Outgoing American Vice President Joe Biden once said, “Don't tell me what you value; show me your budget, and I'll tell you what you value.”

What would you say the Buhari government values based on its 2017 budget? Narcissistic self-absorption, profligacy, and corruption are some of the things that jumped out at me.

It’s now clear to me why the government didn’t punish last year’s budget “padders.” On what moral pedestal would the architects of the 2017 budget stand to chastise or punish the “padders” of the 2016 budget? None. In spite of assurances to the contrary, this year’s budget is even more brazen in its waste, elite insensitivity, egoism, and downright venality than last year’s. All the grand pretenses to “change” have been thrown out the window.

I had intended for this week’s column to be a critical review of the budget, but Daily Trust’s reporting on the budget is already so admirably outstanding in its depth and insight that reviewing the budget here would be reinventing the wheel. But few absurdities stuck out like a sore thumb in the budget, and I can’t help calling attention to them.

People in Aso Rock obviously love food. [/b]When I added up all of the food-related budget allocations in the Aso Rock budget, I came up with N512,457,432. That’s more than half a billion naira just for food for a few people in one year when millions of Nigerians are starving.

[b]With that much food, of course, they need a huge outlet for the waste their gluttony would generate, so a whopping N52,827,800 (which is equivalent to N147,733 a day!) has been budgeted for “sewage charges.”
You know what “sewage” means, right? Note that in last year’s budget, only N6,121.643 was allocated for “sewage charges.” That's a 763% increase!

An Abuja-based industry expert reached out to me after seeing my Facebook status update on the budget and said the "sewage charges" for Aso Rock in the budget were unjustified.

"Central Abuja i.e., Asokoro (vicinity of the State House), Maitama, Wuse, Garki, has a modern world-class sewage system where effluent [water mixed with waste matter] is evacuated to 'treatment' facilities, thus ALL properties in this area by law cannot have soak-aways that need to be evacuated every few years," he said.

In other words, buildings in Aso Rock don't have external septic tanks/ holes in the ground because the pipes of the central sewage system take the sewage away immediately, as is the case in most/all modern cities.

Maybe if the president, the vice president, and other Aso Rock occupants actually pay for their own food from their salaries, like it’s done in the White House and elsewhere, there won’t be need for this much money for “sewage.”

Other puzzling items in the Aso Rock budget ar[/b]e “honoraria and sitting allowances” for the president, the vice president, the chief of staff and sundry Aso Rock workers running into hundreds of millions of naira. There are unspecified multi-million-naira “welfare packages” for people in Aso Rock.

And, apparently, Aso Rock residents pay an annual “residential rent,” which went up from nearly N28 million last year to nearly N78 million this year. [b]However, even though Aso Rock residents are renters, they have budgeted more than N5 billion for the “rehabilitation and repairs of residential buildings”
in the Villa. No one who can spend N5 billion to repair a residence should pay N78 million to rent it!

But that’s not all. Although, the EFCC has been allocated more than N17 billion in the budget, Aso Rock budgeted more than N8 million for “anti-corruption.”

Lai Mohammed, the chief priest of "ChangeBeginswithMe," will spend N409 million for "grassroots enlightenment" next year, N270 million for "town hall meetings," N100 million for "interaction with bloggers," etc., N100 million for "foreign media PR/lobby consultancy" (another word for bribes), and so on. Clearly, "change" hasn't begun yet with the patron saint of "change begins with me." Maybe that's why we haven't heard of the campaign lately.

Lai Mohammed's Budget
All this extravagance is being proposed in a time of recession, at a time when subsidies have been removed from everyday people, and when poor people are told to "change" and "sacrifice." It's true what they say: government is "legal," organized robbery.

http://www.farooqkperogi.com/2016/12/a-hopeless-budget-and-capture-of.html?m=0

2 Likes

Re: Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless by Nobody: 7:44am On Jan 31, 2017
i heard the have provision for 5BMW and 5landcruiser, they even one buy u catering equipment running into millions-so the ones he used last has gone missing? Seriously anybody that says GEJ is corrupt will never see peace in this life.

4 Likes

Re: Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless by ivandragon: 5:38pm On Jan 31, 2017
change indeed!

1 Like

Re: Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless by tuniski: 8:18pm On Jan 31, 2017
Change is an affliction nothing more! God cure my country of the disease termed chanji!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless by Paperwhite(m): 8:28pm On Jan 31, 2017
Yeah zombies heads now being reset. The biting hardship reality is clearer now.Guess the so called Prof.is now an "IPOB yoot" as always chorused by Ngeneukwenu or "wailing wailer" by other members of the herded crew?

2 Likes

Re: Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless by chairmanchairmam: 8:58pm On Jan 31, 2017
blessed are those of us who did not believe for we are not disappointed
and because many have seen now and believed, maybe same mistake will not happen again.
we the 5% should stop gloating, the 97% should accept their mistake.
let's tell ourselves the truth, is there anything this country? let's try it, if not like the biafrans think, let us part ways
Re: Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless by chairmanchairmam: 9:00pm On Jan 31, 2017
blessed are those of us who did not believe for we are not disappointed
and because many have seen now and believed, maybe same mistake will not happen again.
we the 5% should stop gloating, the 97% should accept their mistake.
let's tell ourselves the truth, is there any way to save this country? let's try it, if not like the biafrans think, let us part ways

1 Like

Re: Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless by BUHARIISCURSED(m): 9:03pm On Jan 31, 2017
#BRINGMESARRKI grin
Re: Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless by Ibifizzleboy(m): 9:13pm On Jan 31, 2017
Was it not tis same budget that SARAKI said it will bring us out of recession? I'm beginning to be confused o. Thou I never red that piece

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Prof Kperogi Blasts Buhari's 2017 Budget.. Calls It Hopeless by vatiqan(m): 10:23pm On Jan 31, 2017
He av seen the lyt. But this government no the forgive o.

(1) (Reply)

Reno Omokri Again! Hear Him / Open Letter To Christian Leaders And Followers / Don’t Allow Hatred For Buhari Affect Your Love For Nigeria – Reno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.