Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,548 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

7 Ways To Avoid Trailer Accidents - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 7 Ways To Avoid Trailer Accidents (9382 Views)

Lagosian Turns Keke Into Rover.... To Avoid Ban / FRSC Records 9,698 Accidents, 4,737 Deaths In 2019 / Airlines Warned To Avoid Iranian Airspace After Iran Shot Down ₦79b US Spy Drone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Ways To Avoid Trailer Accidents by emmayayodeji(m): 10:54am On Jan 31, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
8. Ask God Take The Wheels.. cool cool
obatala nko?
Re: 7 Ways To Avoid Trailer Accidents by ziga: 12:14pm On Jan 31, 2017
Hold trailer owners or trailer companies responsible for accidents that are their fault.

For example, If Dangote PLC is fined well well and families of the victims are well compensated for the accidents, Dangote will realize that they are losing too much money to road accidents and will likely hire more responsible drivers or make sure that their vehicles are in the best conditions before putting them on the road, or will make sure that their goods are well secured =on the truck etc.

God is not going to come down and fix this problem if the simple things have not even been done.

Also, making the government responsible for accidents that occur as a result of bad road conditions (If that can ever happen in Nigeria)

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways To Avoid Trailer Accidents by Shaw007(m): 5:09pm On Jan 31, 2017
that last instruction to me is the most important(at least from experience) PAY ATTENTION AT ALL COST.

I was once driving my mum to see a friend, and a truck was about 60m ahead, a fair distance right? that's what i thought, so i just maintained a speed of about 80 behind it, the truck was also moving at a similar speed. then my mum made a comment about a structure we were passing, i took 3 seconds to look at it with no thought about the truck in front, in those three seconds, she just told me to look ahead(the way she said it i didn't think it was serious, she's an experienced driver, so she knew not to shout, spook me and make matters worse.)

I turned to look at ahead and there it was, the truck was right in my face. it had slowed down for a speed breaker in front of it, had i been a second late. collision would have been unavoidable. i skillfully pressed on the brakes. not too hard and i was able to avoid an accident.

the moral of this story is that, it took just a distraction of 3 seconds to almost collide with the truck at about 80km/h .if it had been 4 seconds i wouldn't be narrating this story.

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways To Avoid Trailer Accidents by Philadelphia: 8:33pm On Jan 31, 2017
autojosh:
Trailer accidents nowadays are increasing.Almost everyday a trailer or truck gets involved in an accident.Sadly, sometimes innocent lives are lost .
Most of these accidents could have been averted if the right thing was done .Here are some tips on how to avoid getting involved in trailer or truck accident .

1.Stay Away !
The best way I know to be completely safe is to stay as far away as possible .Don’t drive directly behind them ,or in front of them ,or beside them.Stay away !.And make sure you are extra careful when overtaking .If you have to stay around them at all ,experts suggest you stay at least 4 seconds away before you get a chance to safely overtake .

2.Be Extra Careful In Bad Weather
When its raining , or its foggy (eg harmattan dust),always drive carefully and cautiously .There might be a truck in front of you or trying to overtake beside you.So take extra care when the weather is bad and there is low visibility.

3.Avoid Blind Spots
Bear in mind always , that if you can’t see the driver then he can’t see you through his mirrors.Always stay in safe regions where he can see you , to prevent mishaps.

4.Be Careful Around Sharp Turnings
This is inclusive of round-abouts , trucks and trailers are longer than your car , so they tend to take longer to turn and most likely occupy the whole width of the road.At this point, most times they have even more blind spots , so its safer to just allow them go before you make a turn.

5.Signal Early Enough
Always signal early enough and allow enough time ,before you overtake ,so they are ready for your intended actions.Don’t make quick overtakes ! .
6.Be Patient
I really shouldn’t add this , because if you are impatient you shouldn’t be driving in the first place .Trailers and trucks are not danfos , so don’t try to engage in a road struggle.Just be patient !!.

7.Pay Attention Always
Never loose focus , because a split second of distraction can cost you your life .And always be at alert !.Always be ready and expect the unexpected.

A quick, short and true story

It was around 2000, we were traveling to Kano in a luxurious bus .

There were other little buses and cabs around .

The luxurious bus , honked his horn(and its very very loud).

A little bus/cab (can’t remember which ), swerved out of fear and shock(of the loud horn) and a lot of people lost their lives in the process .

He lost focus and was not paying attention, he was probably lost in thought.

Kano boys were not merciful they almost burnt our bus down !.

No matter what, always be at alert !.

I hope you enjoyed this guys and you have learnt a thing or two .

Have anything to add ?,kindly comment .Also do not forget to share .

https://autojosh.com/7-ways-avoid-trailer-accidents/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

Before reading this post, the first thing that came to my mind was "Dangote Truck". Here it is. I am not suprised at all.
Re: 7 Ways To Avoid Trailer Accidents by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 31, 2017
Though nairaland is more or less an "abomination dictionary" that takes delights in recording abominable acts but sometimes I find something helpful here and this is one of them. Thank you very much.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Most Beautiful State In Nigeria / LASTMA Issues Travel Advisory About Lagos Women's Run Which Holds This Morning / Commercial Flights Resume In Abuja Airport Wednesday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.