Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,165 members, 7,811,375 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? (14286 Views)

Covid-19: Microbiology And Biochemistry Lecturers And Students Are Useless / It/siwes For Microbiology And Biochemistry Undergraduates / Between Pure& Industrial Chemistry And Biochemistry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jan 31, 2017
Good day Nairalanders

I will be sitting for this year's UTME exams, and as required, I am to pick any course which I would like to study at the university. But I am faced with a dilemma - I don't which one I should choose between courses Medical Biochemistry and Biochemistry.
Initially I opted for Biochemistry, however I wanted something more challenging, something that could pose a challenge in my academic life, so I widened my search and came across Medical Biochemistry and having heard a little about this course from a movie, I am beginning to have a liking for it.

I want to know the difference between the two courses. Is Medical Biochemistry an advanced form of the other? Which of them has more prospects? And if there are other things you feel I should know, don't hesitate to share.

Please I really want to know
Thanks
Re: What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? by firstclassmumu: 1:39pm On Jan 31, 2017
medical
Re: What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 31, 2017
firstclassmumu:
medical
Please can you throw more light on it?
Re: What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? by kheengjay(m): 1:48pm On Jan 31, 2017
from my own point of view and little knowledge mbc I.e medical biochemistry basically deals with biological pathways, dna coding, and the study of the body system from the cellular level. it focuses basically on living system

while biochemistry is a general term comprising of both industrial and a little of medical aspect.. its quite challenging cos u have best of both worlds wrapped up in one

my advice stick to bch....biochemistry or just folllow ur heart n dnt forget to ask for God's guidance

with that said n done I bid u best of luck #peace

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? by freeradical(m): 1:51pm On Jan 31, 2017
My advice to you is to go for biochemistry so as not to limit your scope in the field. Biochemistry is a life science that's so broad with many sub fields. Many of these subfields have a direct relationship with medical science so they form the basis of medical biochemistry. However there are other equally challenging fields like industrial biochemistry, toxicology and biotechnology which are still taught under the broad head biochemistry.

If you want to limit yourself to just the medical field you can opt for medical biochemistry but it wont do you any good as the only career prospect for you is if you can use your degree to get direct entry admissions into a medical program. On the other hand with a biochemistry degree the Job opportunities are endless and you can equally use a bachelors degree in biochemistry to get direct entry admission into any medical program.

Success in your academic endeavors

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jan 31, 2017
kheengjay:
from my own point of view and little knowledge mbc I.e medical biochemistry basically deals with biological pathways, dna coding, and the study of the body system from the cellular level. it focuses basically on living system

while biochemistry is a general term comprising of both industrial and a little of medical aspect.. its quite challenging cos u have best of both worlds wrapped up in one

my advice stick to bch....biochemistry or just folllow ur heart n dnt forget to ask for God's guidance

with that said n done I bid u best of luck #peace

I appreciate your input. Thanks alot.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jan 31, 2017
freeradical:
My advice to you is to go for biochemistry so as not to limit your scope in the field. Biochemistry is a life science that's so broad with many sub fields. Many of these subfields have a direct relationship with medical science so they form the basis of medical biochemistry. However there are other equally challenging fields like industrial biochemistry, toxicology and biotechnology which are still taught under the broad head biochemistry.

If you want to limit yourself to just the medical field you can opt for medical biochemistry but it wont do you any good as the only career prospect for you is if you can use your degree to get direct entry admissions into a medical program. On the other hand with a biochemistry degree the Job opportunities are endless and you can equally use a bachelors degree in biochemistry to get direct entry admission into any medical program.

Success in your academic endeavors

Wow. This is just about what I needed to know. I will surely go for Biochemistry as it seems to have more prospects plus the fact that it isn't solely limited to the medical field, and in fact, I would do almost anything to avoid invovlement with anything medical cos the emotional demands associated with saving lives is just not for me. I thank you.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? by peacesamuel94(m): 2:09pm On Jan 31, 2017
The first is in the faculty of Basic Medical Science, the other is in the Life sciences.
Re: What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jan 31, 2017
Biochemistry it is!
Re: What's The Difference Between Medical Biochemistry And Biochemistry? by yandepaul: 10:55am On Jul 17, 2020
Actually, the main difference between Biochemistry and medical Biochemistry is that why Biochemistry deals with the metabolic pathways and reaction of living things (plants and animals), Medical Biochemistry deals with only human Biochemistry, thus the word Medical.
You can check what https://CourseAdviser.com.ng has to say @ https://courseadviser.com.ng/medical-biochemistry-and-biochemistry/

(1) (Reply)

Lasu School Fees Skyrockets / Oau Students' Union Leader Unjustly Suspended By The School Management / Smart Brains; Answer This!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.