Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 (2299 Views)

Abaribe: Declare December 31 ‘Democracy Destruction Day’ To Mark Your 1983 Coup / Shehu Shagari Having Meeting With Buhari In 1983 Before He Was Overthrown / Buhari A Terrorist Who Committed Treasonable Felony In 1983 - Kanu, Co-Defendant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Blue3k(m): 4:56am On Feb 01, 2017
A declassified Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) report has revealed how the Nigerian economy practically collapsed when President Muhammadu Buhari came into power as a military president in 1983.

The young Buhari alongside his allies in the military had toppled the democratically elected government of Alhaji Shehu Shagari in a bloodless coup.
The CIA files revealed that the Nigerian economy reached its peak in 1981 but steadily declined under Buhari's watch from 1983.

''By 1984, real GDP had dropped to the level of a decade earlier, while the population had increased by 25 million to more than 90 million,'' the report stated.

Under General Buhari's watch, the official consumer price index, which usually understates inflation, rose by over 500% and Nigeria's foreign debt increased from $2billion to about $23billion.

Nigeria's debt service also rose from 2 percent of export earnings in 1974 to 36 percent in 1984.

At the same time, oil revenues peaked in 1980 at $25 billion but the declined to less than half that amount by 1984.

The report said: ''By the end of 1984, political stability in Nigeria seemed as elusive as economic development.

''The current Federal Military Government (FMG), which seized power 31 December 1983, has had no more success than its civilian predecessor in reversing the economic decline.''

The report stated that the Buhari regime has concentrated on short term of foreign exchange crisis rather than on solving Nigeria's fundamental economic problems.

The 1983 situation is somewhat similar to what Nigeria is currently experienceing under President Muhammadu Buhari, now 74.

Nigeria officially entered recession last year for the first time in 29 years. Nigeria Bureau of Statistics (NBS) figures showed that in the gross domestic product (GDP) for the second quarter of 2016, Nigeria’s economy contracted by 2.06 percent

Source: https://www.naij.com/1085653-declassified-cia-file-reveal-severe-economic-decline-buhari-power-1983.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by HtwoOw: 5:05am On Feb 01, 2017
Lol no link to the declassified files?

People and nonsense writeup

Why would anyone(especially USA) classify economic turndown documents? How does that affect national. Security?

5 Likes

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Blue3k(m): 5:11am On Feb 01, 2017
HtwoOw:

Why would anyone(especially USA) classify economic turndown documents? How does that affect national. Security?

CIA is has eyes and ears on everything. You might have to find it on state department website but it's most likely. I find it later. I found stuff from 70's on their about Nigeria and biafra with simple google search. Btw they screenshoted image for you.

If I can find it in moring I'll link it. If not I'll email author hope get response before thread dies.

6 Likes

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by potent5(m): 5:15am On Feb 01, 2017
Why are they just declassifying the file after the deed had been done? Obama's government knew all along about what Nigeria was putting herself into and they helped to make it happen by frustrating the then PDP govt. Well, with Trump the truth is coming out and it's not too late initiate the processes that will ultimately lead to voting APC out of power come 2019.

6 Likes

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Sibrah: 5:17am On Feb 01, 2017
sarrki:
Chai

Wailers are trying this days
You are very wrong. Take a look at the doc again and realise everything it touched is still very relevant today, especially the part that takls about addressing short term improvements. You guys earn the tag of wailer and zombie because u are always siding with one and totally against the other.

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Ridwanna(m): 5:22am On Feb 01, 2017
And so
Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Blue3k(m): 5:23am On Feb 01, 2017
It's funny how this cyclear repeats with these governments in Nigeria. They never address fundamental issues with economy. They only attack symptoms being foreign exchange. Tackling rule of law issue, economic freedom, infastrure, industrialization and regulations (ex mineral sector).

"The current Federal Military Government (FMG), which seized power 31 December 1983, has had no more success than its civilian predecessor in reversing the economic decline.''

The report stated that the Buhari regime has concentrated on short term of foreign exchange crisis rather than on solving Nigeria's fundamental economic problems.

6 Likes

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by sarrki(m): 5:24am On Feb 01, 2017
Chai

Wailers are trying this days

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by HtwoOw: 5:26am On Feb 01, 2017
Blue3k:

CIA is has eyes and ears on everything. You might have to find it on state department website but it's most likely. I find it later. I found stuff from 70's on their about Nigeria and biafra with simple google search. Btw they screenshoted image for you.

If I can find it in moring I'll link it. If not I'll email author hope get response before thread dies.

You want to lecture me about CIA and operations? Lol thanks

Now I will remind you to upload those files and send the link everyday till you do

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Atiku2019: 5:26am On Feb 01, 2017
Africa Supremacy is all i care about I don't give a damn about the CIA.... I'm not an American..

Let the Americans bother about their constant street gang shootings grin grin

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Horus(m): 5:40am On Feb 01, 2017
Propaganda!. Right-click on the picture and click on "search google for this image" There is no result, this mean that the poster is a manipulator. Notice that the picture is not even in the article

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by malel1: 5:42am On Feb 01, 2017
HtwoOw:

Sorry no offence u reason like a goat, u think CIA is ur stupid dss.
Kids plenty for this nairaland

9 Likes

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Blue3k(m): 5:44am On Feb 01, 2017
Horus:
Notice that the picture is not even in the article

Dude you're high or your browser sucks.

4 Likes

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Horus(m): 5:54am On Feb 01, 2017
Blue3k:

Dude you're high or your browser sucks.

There is no other result on google from the CIA Fact Book, or are you saying that naij . com is now the CIA?

3 Likes

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by HtwoOw: 5:56am On Feb 01, 2017
malel1:

Sorry no offence u reason like a goat, u think CIA is ur stupid dss.
Kids plenty for this nairaland

Sorry, no offense did you inherit reasoning like a goat from your father or mother ? No offense, just a question

You just go about insulting people, weeks I've not insulted anyone while making my point and if you read my post I challenged someone to show me the proof abi haven't you and your likes been asking for proofs that Buhari is alive?

2 Likes

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Izonpikin: 5:57am On Feb 01, 2017
HtwoOw:

the present buhari and his leadership is all the link you need...we told you static zombies that nothing good can come out from that man...history repeating itself...

6 Likes

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Blue3k(m): 5:58am On Feb 01, 2017
Horus:

There is no result on google from the CIA Fact Book, or are you saying that naij . com is now the CIA?

You don't find documents on CIA Factbook you get declassified documents from CIA.gov/library. I said I'll look for it in morning my time. Lastly I qouted you saying the images weren't on websites. I didn't address your googlee comments.

Excellent use of strawman arguement though. Btw the link below says sane thing article says. It's not same article sites but it's has similar content. I'll continue looking later. @HtwoOw link below.

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/document/cia-rdp86t00589r000300300008-4

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by HtwoOw: 6:00am On Feb 01, 2017
Izonpikin:
the present buhari and his leadership is all the link you need...we told you static zombies that nothing good can come out from that man...history repeating itself...

Yeah and after Buhari was ousted what happened in ibb' regime?
Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Flexherbal(m): 6:02am On Feb 01, 2017
All these will end some day!

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Horus(m): 6:10am On Feb 01, 2017
Blue3k:

You don't find documents on CIA Factbook you get declassified documents from CIA.gov/library. I said I'll look for it in morning my time. Lastly I qouted you saying the images weren't on websites. I didn't address your googlee comments.

Excellent use of strawman arguement though. Btw the link below says sane thing article says. It's not same article sites but it's has similar content. I'll continue looking later.

If you get this declassified documents from CIA.gov/library how do you explain that there is no result on google for it?

Give us a a direct link from the original source of the grafic from google

where are the similar pictures on your link?

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Blue3k(m): 6:13am On Feb 01, 2017
Horus:

If you get this declassified documents from CIA.gov/library how do you explain that there is no result on google for it?

Give us a a direct link from the original source of the grafic from google

You got a Cia link and your asking for googlee link. Stop nothing me kid. You clearly see it Cia website. I told you can't find the original in my original post. The link I gave you has same content. If I find it I'll link it.

2 Likes

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Horus(m): 6:18am On Feb 01, 2017
Blue3k:

You got a Cia link abd your asking for googlee link. Stop nothing me kid. You clearly see it Cia website.

why the pictures that you posted with the article are not showing up on your link??

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by malware: 6:18am On Feb 01, 2017
Declassified NIA documents show that CIA is lying

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Blue3k(m): 6:21am On Feb 01, 2017
Horus:

why the pictures that you posted with the article are not showing up on your link??

Dude stop drinking this early morning. I just proved they are in the screenshots in last reply to you. Why do you feel need to lie?

Did you read part that said it not the same as article but has similar content. I also mentioned that I'll try find the one link article author used.

2 Likes

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Horus(m): 6:28am On Feb 01, 2017
Blue3k:

Dude stop drinking this early morning. I just proved they are in the screenshots in last reply to you. Why do you feel need to lie?

just click on it and see that they are not showing up . what you provided on your link is different. I have no need to lie when anyone can click on the link and see for themselves that what you posted is not similar

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Nobody: 6:30am On Feb 01, 2017
Bubu right now be like :

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by HtwoOw: 6:35am On Feb 01, 2017
Blue3k:

Excellent use of strawman arguement though. Btw the link below says sane thing article says. It's not same article sites but it's has similar content. I'll continue looking later. @HtwoOw link below.

No similarity whatsoever

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by vedaxcool(m): 6:40am On Feb 01, 2017
This is a misrepresenting the facts by naij just to mis-educate people i will be back with a proper evidence.

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by proeast(m): 6:42am On Feb 01, 2017
History always has a way of repeating itself. Rogue president, jinxed country.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by hucienda: 6:43am On Feb 01, 2017
All this one na medicine after d. Not like the masses weren't warned.
Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by SalamRushdie: 6:51am On Feb 01, 2017
Atiku2019:
Africa Supremacy is all i care about I don't give a damn about the CIA.... I'm not an American..

Let the Americans bother about their constant street gang shootings grin grin

You are talking about gangshooting while missing oit on the critical revelations of this document...This document only consolidates what i have said about Buhari being the fundamental problem with Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Declassified CIA File Reveal Severe Economic Decline due to Buhari in 1983 by Jengem: 6:55am On Feb 01, 2017
You cant have enough chart to describe how dull Buhari is

Cia, kgb, mossad, mi6 they all have his file. Notorious dullard B.

Only person that his file is missing is zombies and waec

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Paid Boko Haram €3m For Release Of Chibok Girls — Report / Photos:linda Ikeji’s Brother Blasts The Comedian Who Wants To Marry Her / Igbo Vs Yoruba. Beware Of The New BMC Tactics.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.