Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important (4311 Views)

Looking For A Content Writer For Your Blog? You Found One / Ready To Pay Tech Bloggers 15k - 20k Right Away! / See The Cheapest Beautiful Blog You Can Go For Here, (unbelievable) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Nobody: 5:43am On Feb 02, 2017
This post is for you whether you are a blogger, you aspire to own a blog one day or you own a website. I wrote this article bearing WordPress bloggers in mind but whatever the platform you use, some of the tips are very relevant.

Blogging is fun; It is enlightening and profitable. What most beginner bloggers don’t bargain for, however, is the hours of hair-tearing, confusion and frustration that goes on when technical problems occur down the road, like when your site crashes or hackers attack. To prevent – or manage – these technical issues, you will need to implement the 5 tips I will share with you in this post.

One thing beginners discover when they launch a blog is, there is so much to learn in so short time. There’s way too much information. As a result, some things are taken for granted, some decisions are tabled for a later time and mistakes are made that prove very costly later.

The tips I share with you in this post must not wait. They are actions you must take the moment you decide to put up a site. If you already have a blog, I still suggest you carry out these actions right away. They will save you a lot of trouble and money in the long run and they hold true whether you run a blog, eCommerce site, company website, etc.

CHOOSE A RELIABLE WEB HOST
This is one of the most important first decisions you will make as a blogger. I suggest you consider this very carefully because your web host could make or mar your entire efforts.

The first time I crashed my blog (I made a mistake that wiped my entire blog files), I had instant access to my web host support system and they helped me restore my database backup in under 30 minutes. Without access to support, things could have turned out quite differently (and badly) for my blogging journey. This is one the reasons having a reliable web host is so important.

BEEF-UP YOUR SITE SECURITY
The second most important action you should take immediately after launching your site is to beef up security.

Most people wait till they are attacked before they add extra security measures to their site. Recovering from an attack is not funny at all; there is no reason to wait till it happens. Here are some of the actions you can take now to protect your site:

Strengthen your password. Don’t use a password like ‘heaven123’ or your birthday. Use a password that combines uppercase and lowercase letters, characters and numbers. Make it long and very hard to guess.

Enable brute force attack protection. Brute force attack is a trial and error method used by application programs to decode encrypted data such as passwords.

SCHEDULE REGULAR BACKUPS
If you don’t have backups of your site, I suggest you create one right away. Running a site/blog is not all smooth sailing and making money – there are bad days too.

In an earlier post, I shared an experience about when I crashed my blog (erroneously wiped off my entire files). Yours might not be that bad but it is something you definitely don’t want to experience. When you back up your files, recovering from a crash takes only minutes.

There are free plugins like BackWpUp or Updraft that automates the backup process. You can schedule hourly, daily or weekly backups depending on how frequently your update your blog.

USE CHILD THEMES
If you blog on WordPress, I suggest you use child themes. When you create a child theme, it inherits all the features and functions of the parent theme. This allows you to modify the child theme without altering the parent theme.

Why is this important?

Designers and developers come up with theme updates all the time. If you are using the parent theme and there is an update, every modification you make on the parent theme disappears. Using a child theme allows you to update the parent theme and still keep your changes.

Also you can play around with your child theme knowing that if anything should go wrong, you fall back on the parent theme and start over. Creating a child theme is not difficult at all. I used a free plugin, Child Theme Configurator, and it worked perfectly.

GET FAMILIAR WITH YOUR FILE MANAGER

While this is not threatening, you need to get familiar with your web host file manager.

I broke my site once because I used codes that did not work so well with my theme. Nothing I could do worked to restore my site – I couldn’t even access my WordPress dashboard to make any change.

To solve the problem I had to go through my web host file manager, manually deleted the theme and reinstalled it. Doing it myself saved me some money. Now I know how to navigate my file manager and get whatever I need done.

I have to admit, not everyone is tech-savvy. So if you don’t understand files and codes, I suggest you leave this one for the techies.

Article Source: http://www.nextnaijaentrepreneur.com/important-things-blogger/. Please do not copy/repost this article if you will not acknowledge source.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Nobody: 5:44am On Feb 02, 2017
Bloggers, which of these would you say is most important?

Checkout these other helpful/related posts from my blog:

7 Things to Consider Before You Choose a Web Host for your Blog: http://www.nextnaijaentrepreneur.com/reliable-web-hosting/

How to start bean flour production business in Nigeria: http://www.nextnaijaentrepreneur.com/bean-flour-production/

How to Create a business plan (free online course): http://www.nextnaijaentrepreneur.com/how-to-create-a-business-plan/

Like our page on facebook for more
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Pseudonymous: 6:07am On Feb 02, 2017
Thanks OP. But why did you make a post and also take the FTC position? You greedy sha.

Anyways, check my signature.
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Nobody: 6:23am On Feb 02, 2017
Pseudonymous:
Thanks OP. But why did you make a post and also take the FTC position? You greedy sha.

lol...Oya take the FTC make I rest...
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by jayAjoku(m): 7:02am On Feb 02, 2017
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by lonelydora: 7:03am On Feb 02, 2017
Good to know.
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by NJPot(m): 7:04am On Feb 02, 2017
trash
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Riversides2003(m): 7:04am On Feb 02, 2017
Bring Sex and sexuality stories from Kenya and Zimbabwe, also write and snap pictures of snake and copy Lalasticlala,you go attract traffic like mad

1 Like

Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by jesus500(m): 7:06am On Feb 02, 2017
I once had a blog, I bought the domain name from webhosting.com around 92$ at the time I wasn't ready for blogging, I later gave it up and asked for refund, I lost about 13k then. But I will still do it when am fully ready.

2 Likes

Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by kampusareablog: 7:08am On Feb 02, 2017
Noted
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by ITbomb(m): 7:19am On Feb 02, 2017
Not really helpful for those on Blogger
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by tectonotimes: 7:20am On Feb 02, 2017
OP, thanks a billion. This post is really informative.
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by ibietela2(m): 7:41am On Feb 02, 2017
Ok
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by miller0093(m): 7:46am On Feb 02, 2017
OP, its a nice idea so we on blogger need to upgrade to worldpress? you could check out millmic..com and tell me what i need to put in place.
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Affableacho(m): 7:57am On Feb 02, 2017
beautiful write up. .i have been learning all this lately and i totally agree with your write up.
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Canme4u(m): 8:04am On Feb 02, 2017
Nice topic, am planning to create a blog soon. You can checkout my old one and tell me wht I lack www.canme4u..com
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by OlusegunAJ(m): 8:19am On Feb 02, 2017
miller0093:
OP, its a nice idea so we on blogger need to upgrade to worldpress? you could check out millmic..com and tell me what i need to put in place.
You can use a WordPress adapted template for your blogger.
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Nobody: 8:30am On Feb 02, 2017
nice 1 op, very informative
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Choiszman(m): 8:31am On Feb 02, 2017
Thanks for the information....
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Nobody: 8:34am On Feb 02, 2017
Nice
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Nobody: 8:50am On Feb 02, 2017
Affableacho:
beautiful write up. .i have been learning all this lately and i totally agree with your write up.

Thanks
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 02, 2017
jesus500:
I once had a blog, I bought the domain name from webhosting.com around 92$ at the time I wasn't ready for blogging, I later gave it up and asked for refund, I lost about 13k then. But I will still do it when am fully ready.

OK. Good luck when you start. Blogging is really fun and lucrative
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by jesus500(m): 8:59am On Feb 02, 2017
delivite:

OK. Good luck when you start. Blogging is really fun and lucrative
thanks bro.
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Md4great(m): 9:07am On Feb 02, 2017
DIGIFYING-OUR-ACCOUNTANTS TRAINING - REGISTRATION DETAILS
Dear Prospective Trainee,

A great decision is being made. And kudos as you indicate interest in our forth-coming “DIGIFYING-OUR-ACCOUNTANTS” Training.

Moreover, in order to enable adequate preparations for the training, please take note of the following registration instructions.

1. You are ONLY required to make a payment of #5,000 for the Microsoft Excel training. Only successful candidate from this Excel training/Professionals in the Industry will be qualified to take the second Batch - which is the Intuit QuickBooks training (if you are only interested in QuickBooks, please respond ASAP)
2. Payment for the Excel Training must be made on or before Wednesday 8th February, 2017 into Ladlas Prince Nig. account as provided below
3. For transparency and record keeping, please send an SMS with your "Name", "Date of Payment" and "Teller No" to 08093677006.

NOTE:
· The first five (5 ) participants to make their payment will automatically be given a 30% discount on their second stage training (The Intuit QuickBooks)
· Seats are only reserved and available for twenty (20) participants ONLY

Training Costs:
a. Microsoft Excel - ₦5,000.00
- Inclusive of training certificate, training kits/materials/video tutorials (e-copy/disc) and refreshments

b. Intuit QuickBooks - ₦20,000.00 (further details will be sent to all qualified and interested participants)

Account details:

Account Name: Ladlas Prince Nigeria Limited
Account Number: 0030104144
Bank: Guarantee Trust Bank (GTB)

For further inquiries, please contact us by email : Ibadan.fit.manager@ladlasprince.com or call: 08093677006

Our Office Address: LADLAS PRINCE NIG. LTD
Providence Court Building, Suite A5, 4th Floor,
Ajibade Bus-stop, Beside Coca-Cola Depot,
Mokola, Ibadan.

Best Regards
For: Ladlas Prince Nig.
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by ladyF(f): 1:37am On Feb 24, 2017
Riversides2003:
Bring Sex and sexuality stories from Kenya and Zimbabwe, also write and snap pictures of snake and copy Lalasticlala,you go attract traffic like mad

Dearie... cry
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by kellyjoesteve: 12:32pm On Feb 24, 2017
Hosted Adsense account for sale contact me on 07033858779 please for serious buyer
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by myfidelityblog(m): 1:57pm On Feb 24, 2017
premium course: A-Z blogging ethics

Hello guys, i appreciate you for checking this out. Before i start unwrapping the goodies i have for you guys, let me start by explaining major reasons why i created this course.

1. Lots of people experience lots of difficulties starting from starting from the very Genesis of blogging down to the monetization aspect and even the continuity of blogging.

2. Few but many people do contact me to help or train them. Although I help those I can. Knowing that its stressful to help or teach one client, I had to create a platform where i can teach many people at the same time.

This course/training is mostly for Nigerians who cannot sacrifice huge data bundles (gigabytes) to download and watch YouTube video tutorials. (This video tutorials does not give detailed explanation most times).

Its mostly for those people who wants a cost effective, easy and simplified but well detailed procedures on how blogging business works right from the setup point to the monetization aspect.

Most importantly, this course is for people with NO form of experience in how blogging works or for those people who don't know what blog means. Gurus/experts who knows a thing or two are not left out because I'm sure you will learn new things and you will definitely discover that you've been doing so many things wrongly.

WHAT DOES THIS COURSE OFFERS IN TERMS OF BENEFITS?

HOW IS IT DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER COURSE ANYWHERE? WHAT ARE THE COURSE REQUIREMENTS? HOW MUCH DOES IT COSTS?

COURSE BENEFITS

>> This course/class would be done in real time.

>> Its online based, you don't need to worry as it can be done at the comfort of your home.

>> For the fact that this course is online based does not mean that it will consume your data. I have that in mind.

>> A platform called Telegram (similar to whatsapp) will be used as it is more robust in functionality.

>> There are lessons detailed with fully practical procedures starting from setup all the way to monetization.

>> This course won't be all about theories, practical step by step approach would be implemented.

>> The steps would be well broken down bit by bit that even a toddler will understand without any form of difficulties.

WHAT MAKES IT DIFFERENT FROM OTHER COURSES OUT THERE (Special offers)

>> At the end of each course and section, there would be room for questions and answers will be provided to those questions.

>> A quiz will be conducted to test what you've learnt at the end of this course and the emerging winner wins #2000.

>> You'll get 2 days of free consultations after the training.

>> Those who enrols before the 5th of march will get 37.5% discount which is #2500 instead of #4000

>> The person with the best blog design will get 100% cash back.

COURSE REQUIREMENTS

>> Telegram App. To download click here

>> A laptop (not necessary)

>> Your notebook (to take down key point. You can as well use the notepad on your smartphone or pc).

COURSE OUTLINE

Section 1: Introduction to blogging

Lesson 1: What is blogging; Clarifying the myths

Lesson 2: Why do you want or wish to be a blogger

Lesson 3: Types of blog platform and which you should use.

Section 2: Blog Setup

Lesson 1: Deciding on what to name your blog

Lesson 2: What is a domain and hosting (well explained)

Lesson 3: Choosing a domain name

Lesson 4: choosing a hosting plan and company (types of hosting company and plans)

Lesson 5: buying and registering a domain and hosting (bluehost)

Lesson 6: Installing WordPress

Section 3: Blog Design ( Blogger & WordPress)

Lesson 1: Planning your blog's layout

Lesson 2: choosing a theme (choosing a blogger template)

Lesson 3: The psychology of colors and how they affect your blog

Lesson 4: Choosing a logo concept

Lesson 5: Designing a logo

Section 4: Your Blog Usage (Blogger & WordPress)

Lesson 1: Creating a post (basic HTML formatting tags for your posts)

Lesson 2: Creating a page

Lesson 3: Introduction to WordPress plugin system (introduction to blogger gadgets system)

Lesson 4: How to install and use plugins (how to install and use blogger gadgets)

Lesson 5: Plugins you should use and why (gadgets you should use and why)

Section 5: Your Blog Content

Lesson 1: The psychology of irresistible blog posts.

Lesson 2: What is effective blogging; the best way to do it.

Lesson 3: The importance of scheduling posts.

Lesson 4: The secrets and powers of “A Thousand Words”

Lesson 5: The fantastic four pages

Lesson 6: How not to run out of what to post.

Lesson 7: Images: How, where and when to use them

Lesson 8: How to reduce image size and its importance

Lesson 9: Where to get images

Section 6: Grow Your Blog

Lesson 1: What SEO is and how it affects your blog

Lesson 2: The fundamentals of SEO

Lesson 3: Social media; the importance and how it grows your blog.

Lesson 4: Useful tools to make blogging super easy

Lesson 5: Taking things beyond the internet; why and how?

Lesson 6: How to treat your blog like a real business

Lesson 7: How to identify your audience and take advantage

Lesson 8: Customer/Readers Care: Why its important

Lesson 9: How to keep them coming back.

Lesson 10: Digital Marketing tips and how to’s

Section 7: Monetizing Your Blog

Lesson 1: Intro to making money from blogging; the bitter truth

Lesson 2: Affiliate Marketing programs and its benefits

Lesson 3: Google AdSense: How to get approved easily

Lesson 4: The best AdSense alternatives

Lesson 5: Going beyond ads: other monetization avenues

Lesson 6: Final Conclusion.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST

I know this is the moment you've all been waiting for. Well, this awesome, educative and well detailed training/course will cost you just #2500 (37.5% discount) if you make payments before the 5th of march, after that it will #4000.

Final registration closes on the 20th of march. So hurry now!

To enrol click the link below

https:///forms/XP6jX6qmqoqTKqnh2

REMEMBER

>> At the end of each course and section, there would be room for questions and answers will be provided to those questions.

>> A quiz will be conducted to test what you've learnt at the end of this course and the emerging winner wins #2000.

>> You'll get 2 days of free consultations after the training.

>> Those who enrols before the 5th of march will get 37.5% discount which is #2500 instead of #4000

>> The person with the best blog design will get 100% cash back. To enrol click the link below

https:///forms/XP6jX6qmqoqTKqnh2

For any enquires please call 09035692326 or email davswaggz1@gmail.com. Thanks for your patronage!

Please share the love by sharing this post, thanks!
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by aragon4realz(m): 5:44pm On Feb 24, 2017
quick question!!!
about a child theme,when I install a child theme, and activate it,which theme are my to customize,or work on,the child or parent theme?
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 24, 2017
Except No #3, the others are for Wordpress usres to worry undecided
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Nobody: 3:18pm On Feb 27, 2017
aragon4realz:
quick question!!!
about a child theme,when I install a child theme, and activate it,which theme are my to customize,or work on,the child or parent theme?

When you install a child theme, you make all your customization on the child theme. it will inherit of the features of the parent theme plus the modifications in the child theme.
Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Jpaul16(m): 1:56pm On Apr 07, 2017
Informative Post! Visit [url]naijagadgetory.[/url] If you are interested in tech news, startups and gadgets

1 Like

Re: If You Have A Blog, You Should Do These 5 Things Right Away - Very Important by Cycloneignis(m): 6:18pm On Oct 12, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Cheapest/affordable Website Design Prices For 2018(watapps 08028359239) / VIP.com Domain Name Sold for $1.4 Million / Naughtynaija.ga - Nigeria's First Porn Video Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.