Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:46 AM

Almost Paradise - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Almost Paradise (142989 Views)

Wilderness In Paradise (non-fiction) / TRAGIC PARADISE By Idorenyin Matthew / Will You Meet Me In Paradise? The Story Of David (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 12:55pm On Feb 06, 2017
THREE

At five minutes past ten on Monday morning, Otunba eased his camry into the massive parking space reserved for visitors in the Lagos office complex of Pacific Investments, located in the heart of Victoria Island. Otunba and his childhood friend, Barrister Yomi were ushered into a beautifully furnished reception by a security guard after showing him their appointment card.

A tall, dark, athletic lady in a grey three-piece-suit sat on a chair in a small cubicle, hands resting on a marble topped arc table. Above her head was a sign that read ‘Enquiries’. A lemon green telephone box sat near her well-manicured finger nails on the marble table, and beside it sat another sign that read ‘Receptionist’. Otunba sat slumped in one of the brown leather sofas in the reception, fiddling aimlessly with his tie. Apart from the money coming in, the Pacific contracts were not as easy as he imagined.

Otunba wiped sweat beads from his brows. “How do I look?.”

Bar. Yomi looked up from the news paper he was reading. He had heard the anxiety in his friend’s voice. “You look nice, ore.” He tried to cheer him up.

The green phone rang.

“Hello,” the receptionist said into the receiver. “ok,” She said again, and hung up.

“Mr Jayeola?” She called. About twelve visitors waiting at the reception looked up.

“That’s me.” Otunba quickly got on his feet.

“This way, please. The ceo will see you now sir.” The fair lady pointed towards a stairway. “Third office by the right.”

“Thank you.” He quickly adjusted his suit, and turned to his friend and lawyer, “Let me meet him first.”

“Yes, I’ll wait here.” Barrister Yomi gave him a reassuring nod as he headed for the stairs.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 1:04pm On Feb 06, 2017

The door of the third room by the right was slightly ajar. He could feel the cold air from the air conditioner as he walked towards the door. The hallway was well lit and two other doors were wide open, with workers busy behind their computers.

He pushed the door gently and stepped inside what appeared to be a waiting room. A young lady sitting behind a big desk, with the tag ‘secretary’ conspicuously placed on her table greeted him. Another young man sat on a smaller desk, a computer monitor beaming in front of him.

“Otunba Jayeola” he introduced himself.

The secretary smiled, “She’s expecting you, sir.”

His feet went numb at the word ‘she’. “I’m here to see Chief Williams” He corrected.

The smile again. “Yes, Chief Mrs Williams is the acting ceo. She’s expecting you” She reiterated, pointing towards a closed door in the office.

He walked towards the door, slightly disappointed. He had prepared all night with his wife, rehearsing his speech and memorizing some legal mumbo jumbo his friend had shoved down his neck.

He turned the door knob and entered the beautifully furnished office. From the window blinds to the state of the art electronics and the furniture, the office reeled of affluence. A large Victorian table sat between him and the woman, who was busy typing away on a computer keyboard. Otunba stepped into the office shut the door, hard enough that the woman looked up from behind her computer.

“Hello,” She said with face devoid of any emotions, “Sit down” She pointed to a sofa on the other side of the office.

“Good morning, madam.” He said, and sat down. She stood up and walked gracefully towards the Samsung refrigerator that stood in one corner of the spacious office, his eyes following her every sway.

She wore a dark business suit, as did Otunba. However, her suit was crisper, crafted of fine material, and followed the contours of her curvy physique perfectly. Otunba’s suit is straight from Dugbe, and it bunched up in certain spots despite the local tailor’s best efforts.

Otunba looked on in shock as she carefully placed a can of fruit juice on a coffee table beside him. It was supposed to be a scolding session based on the negative reports his construction works have received so far.

He drew himself up in the sofa. “I wasn’t expecting this type of reception ma.” He blurted suddenly.

“Really?” she frowned, facing him fully, “What kind of reception were you expecting, Jay?”

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Almost Paradise by damis28crown(f): 6:30pm On Feb 06, 2017
WOW let me tk a sit following
Re: Almost Paradise by aprilwise(m): 8:42pm On Feb 06, 2017
nice story always following
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 9:24pm On Feb 06, 2017
Chumzypinky:

haba now. E neva reach lyk dat. D story is dope, tho i've not startd makin out d plot and i'm sure i'll do dat pretty soon.
I'll lyk 2 invite my pple
To mention but a few. You all should grace this story
I'm here already but I have to check on my crew yorhmienerd johnwizey (were you dey since since na?) mhiz nastynic ( reply next year and Sango will be at work) Tunde lawlahdaey girlhaley (village people at work for these two) Lleigh swann (chai, I last got a call before B.C here.....Issokay) Adesina12 oya submit yourself, bring popcorn for table 4...... Bottomless sparkling wine coz this mummy can cook.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almost Paradise by ROYH(m): 11:30pm On Feb 06, 2017
Chumzypinky:

lol, wat have u gotten for me nah?
A Loaf Of Bread And Two Fishes grin
Re: Almost Paradise by Adesina12: 11:33pm On Feb 06, 2017
jagugu88li:
I'm here already but I have to check on my crew yormienerd johnwizey (were you dey since since na?) mhiz nastynic ( reply next year and Sango will be at work) Tunde lawlahdaey girlhaley (village people at work for these two) Lleigh swann (chai, I last got a call before B.C here.....Issokay) Adesina12 oya submit yourself, bring popcorn for table 4...... Bottomless sparkling wine coz this mummy can cook.

I submit myself to you ma and accompanied myself with tons of popcorn grin

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by ROYH(m): 11:50pm On Feb 06, 2017
Candy is bringing ella back, nice plot,but ella should regret leaving jay back then ni nah not the opp
Re: Almost Paradise by Adesina12: 11:52pm On Feb 06, 2017
harameede99:
If una no call me make i call myself queenitee my bestie Oly23 my twinny abeg cum join me Adeshina12 cum along with popcorn

Thanks dear I am with you.
Re: Almost Paradise by johnwizey: 1:36am On Feb 07, 2017
jagugu88li:
I'm here already but I have to check on my crew yormienerd johnwizey (were you dey since since na?)
I'm very much around sis just that I'm now an undercover agent grin grin. I have been busy with some stuffs and this recession is not helping at all. Thanks for checking up, I appreciate ma'm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 6:45am On Feb 07, 2017
Nice Story U Got Here,
Re: Almost Paradise by harameede99(f): 6:50am On Feb 07, 2017
Adesina12:

Thanks dear I am with you.
hmmm so u no miss me abi

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 8:02am On Feb 07, 2017
@empress101, chumzypinky, missmossy, ROYH, Adesina12, harameede99, holuwanoisy111, johnwizey, damis28crown, jagugu88li, you guys are all welcome. Update loading. Keep the comments coming.

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by harameede99(f): 8:14am On Feb 07, 2017
candy:
@empress101, chumzypinky, missmossy, ROYH, Adesina12, harameede99, holuwanoisy111, johnwizey, damis28crown, jagugu88li, you guys are all welcome. Update loading. Keep the comments coming.
we dey kampe

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by Adesina12: 8:46am On Feb 07, 2017
harameede99:
hmmm so u no miss me abi

Yes nah

Misses you like kilode grin
Re: Almost Paradise by Chumzypinky(f): 9:16am On Feb 07, 2017
candy:
eh, bring the update first nah before d comments start coming

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by ROYH(m): 10:54am On Feb 07, 2017
candy:
Once The Updates Is Flowing, The Comments Will Be Coming
Re: Almost Paradise by harameede99(f): 6:28pm On Feb 07, 2017
Adesina12:

Yes nah
Misses you like kilode grin
hmmm u sure?oya prove it
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 7:31pm On Feb 07, 2017
Waiting For Update Oh Oh Oh,
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 07, 2017
......and then what happened ma? What kind of reception did he finally say he expected?

... ... ..

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by Adesina12: 10:44pm On Feb 07, 2017
harameede99:
hmmm u sure?oya prove it

What kinda prove you want?
Re: Almost Paradise by Adesina12: 10:45pm On Feb 07, 2017
jagugu88li:
......and then what happened ma? What kinds kind of reception did he finally say he expected?

... ... ..

The Op is sleeping....

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 9:19am On Feb 08, 2017

FOUR

“I thought you were angry---‘’ He started to say, then stopped. She had called him Jay! The few people who called him Jay were people he went to school with, and the last time he saw any of them was over ten years ago. Except Yomi, he thought. Then he summoned up courage to look her straight in the eye. Then it hit him. “Isabella!” He screamed. The face and the seductive sway of the hips never really changed.

She sat down on the sofa across from him, and rolled her eyes playfully. “You used to call me Ella.”

For a few moments, there was an unnatural silence. You could hear a pin drop in the room. The whole scenario seemed surreal. Ella got up from her chair, stooped in front of him and held his hands.

“I’m really sorry, Jay” She pleaded.

“Sorry doesn’t cut it, Isabella,” He answered curtly, a pained expression cut across his face, slowly withdrawing his hands from hers. For ten long years, he had dreamt of this meeting. Never for once had he imagined it to be like this. He had imagined himself slapping her several times, kicking her and just hurting her. But for the past twelve years, strangely, he never thought of her for a second. Why had she turned up when his life appeared to have finally taken shape? He asked himself as he starred into her beautiful face. Ella meant trouble for him, his wife and his daughter, his heart told him.

“For the sake of our daughter,” Ella pleaded.

“Don’t even go there,” Otunba raised his hand angrily. He felt anger surge through his body like a bolt of electricity. He stood up, pushing her out of his way. “Your daughter? A daughter that was raised by another woman?”
Ella had learned to put on a good act, and to get by with it. “1’m sorry Jay, I did what I did for you and my daughter” She said with teary eyes and an emotion laden voice, “I never stopped loving you.”

“Is that why you awarded my company the phoney contract? So you can lure me back to you?” He asked anger evident in his voice.

Ella nodded. “I have monitored you for years, just never really had the opportunity to meet you one on one. Let’s go somewhere and talk things over”

Ella swallowed hard. She wasn’t prepared for this ‘tough’ version of Jay, her one time boy-toy. She knew he wasn’t going to succumb so easily, but this? “Can I at least see my daughter?”

Otunba held his hands up, palms out. “Never, Ella, never.”

“We’ll see about that,” She shrugged her shoulders.

“Okay.” Otunba stood only inches away, hands on his hips, his face twisted in a rage. Suddenly, he grabbed Ella and pushed her aside roughly. “Get out of my way, and stay out of my life!”

“Easy, Jay.” She staggered and fell on the sofa.
He hurried to the door in two strides, held the door knob firmly and turned it. “To hell with your money and your contract.” He flung the contract paper at her and stormed out of the office.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 08, 2017

Otunba drove in silence, jaw clenched. Anger seeped through him at the thought of Ella. He held the steering so tightly his fingers left marks on them. The car swayed left and right, as other motorists blared the horns incessantly.

“Are you okay, Jay?” Bar. Yomi asked.

“Why not?” Otunba snapped, swerving just in time to avoid head on collision with an oncoming DAF Truck.

“Are you sure?” His friend asked again, concern written on his face. “You have refused to tell me why you stormed out of your meeting with the ceo in annoyance. If something untowards happened there, tell me. I’m not just your friend, I’m a lawyer, your lawyer.”

“There is nothing to tell,” Otunba answered quickly. “We will review the terms of contract when we get back to Ibadan. They are cash strapped and they can’t continue construction work for now.”

“Uhn-uhn.”Bar. Yomi nodded. He didn’t believe that for a second. Something happened and he was determined to find out what. He had watched his friend storm down the stairs in anger, missing a step and almost tripping. Without saying a word to him, Otunba had headed straight to the car park and if he hadn’t rushed after him, he would probably have left him there in anger.

“This is Lagos-Ibadan expressway, you can’t drive on this road like this,” Bar. Yomi said, releasing his seat belt.

Without arguing, he eased the camry out of the highway and parked, his mind still on his ill-fated meeting with Ella.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 9:24am On Feb 08, 2017
Where really are you guys?

D9ty7
Harjibolar10
ruffhandu
Kingphilip
Hameenat94
Sexysapphire
Jennimma
Mariamferanmi
QueenTolpatx
zyzxx
sammyomotola,
calmdove
Rosytonia
skimpledawg
joliej
bolajJP007
MaBuk
YasirNasir
Missviva
Missmossy
debdave
tescoleps
hassan85
seunviju
tsodjete
Yinksaid
Cestmoi1
Stuff46
Whizbee
Nancydearie
Vijon
BashirAhmad1
snowangel4
Stonecoldcafe
fatalveli
Bblacky
teemanbastos
lenmafon
Thinezy
Boladex1
Amiablejudy
Plaitex
tfabu
Manuel180
gal10
telad
farheeda
MaBuk
estellar12
mohjisolah
Debbysky
booqee
fragilegal
Queenxtar
Jayminna

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by Adesina12: 9:30am On Feb 08, 2017
Nice reaction from Otunba

A woman who left a 2wks old baby with a lonely man in his early life

She was after affluent of life and closed her eyes against the future of her child

She is a gonner for ever....

Sweet popcorn for you candy with cold guinness

2 Likes

Re: Almost Paradise by oyinda1242(f): 9:41am On Feb 08, 2017
wow!...kudos to jay....real man reaction
Re: Almost Paradise by zyzxx(m): 12:02pm On Feb 08, 2017
candy:
Where really are you guys?

D9ty7
Harjibolar10
ruffhandu
Kingphilip
Hameenat94
Sexysapphire
Jennimma
Mariamferanmi
QueenTolpatx
zyzxx
sammyomotola,
calmdove
Rosytonia
skimpledawg
joliej
bolajJP007
MaBuk
YasirNasir
Missviva
Missmossy
debdave
tescoleps
hassan85
seunviju
tsodjete
Yinksaid
Cestmoi1
Stuff46
Whizbee
Nancydearie
Vijon
BashirAhmad1
snowangel4
Stonecoldcafe
fatalveli
Bblacky
teemanbastos
lenmafon
Thinezy
Boladex1
Amiablejudy
Plaitex
tfabu
Manuel180
gal10
telad
farheeda
MaBuk
estellar12
mohjisolah
Debbysky
booqee
fragilegal
Queenxtar
Jayminna
present sorry coming late ma
Let me start from the beginning
Re: Almost Paradise by kajsa08: 6:28am On Feb 09, 2017
Chumzypinky:

haba now. E neva reach lyk dat. D story is dope, tho i've not startd makin out d plot and i'm sure i'll do dat pretty soon.
I'll lyk 2 invite my pple.
Jagugu88li
Politicalthug *lol*
Wizsolzy
Angelinastto
Cyndylove64
Ikombe
Royh
Queengolden
Prettyhurts mama
Ladyverere
Kajsa08
Ayoxelee
Xaviercasmir
Abefe99
MozB
To mention but a few. You all should grace this story
present ma. thanks for the mention. just getting d notification. glo network has been terrible since Saturday.
ama read.
Re: Almost Paradise by wizsolzy(m): 8:30am On Feb 09, 2017
kajsa08:

present ma. thanks for the mention. just getting d notification. glo network has been terrible since Saturday.
ama read.

i yaf come to take my position b4 it will be taken....please i nid barbecue..those dat always come wit popcorn be guided

Re: Almost Paradise by kajsa08: 10:27am On Feb 09, 2017
wizsolzy:

i yaf come to take my position b4 it will be taken....please i nid barbecue..those dat always come wit popcorn be guided
lol, manage d beer wey dey ur front.
Re: Almost Paradise by wizsolzy(m): 2:09pm On Feb 09, 2017
kajsa08:
lol, manage d beer wey dey ur front.
No naaa. I like use barbecue take press am

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Nigerian Story - Chocolates And Sushi / The Carpenter, The Witch And The Mysterious Mirrow / Black Maria 4 (Nemesis)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.