Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,364 members, 7,812,039 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

Spanked As A Kid? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Spanked As A Kid? (1439 Views)

Little Kid Peeping At Her Aunt's Panties (Photo) / What Is The Maximum Age A Child Can Be Spanked? / 11-year Old Ends Up In ER After Being Spanked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spanked As A Kid? by emmablow11(m): 6:05pm On Dec 02, 2009
When someone commits an atrocity in America, they blame his/her actions on poor parenting or childhood.Most of them say they were spanked as kids and never had a childhood.

Were you spanked as a kid, if yes/no, has it affected your life in anyway.

I was spanked as a kid and was always locked in doors when my parents were away, it came to a point that i ran away from home, now i feel theres no much connection to me and my home cos i don't like to stay in, i always have somewhere in mind to go,just to avoid sitting in that house.Now i'm trying to relate it with my upbringing, is there a connection?
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Seun(m): 6:07pm On Dec 02, 2009
Yes, there's a connection. And you're probably going to treat your kids the same way if you're not already doing so and if you don't work through your issues with a good counselor. sad
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by emmablow11(m): 6:11pm On Dec 02, 2009
Seun, thanks for your advice! i have no kids yet and i don't think i will treat them the same way i was treated,i love kids so much and hate to see them cry.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by ayomidej(f): 6:34pm On Dec 02, 2009
I was spanked as a kid whenever I was naughty or did something wrong. And it has taught me alot about life and I will spank my kids if they are misbehave or naughty.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Fhemmmy: 8:08pm On Dec 02, 2009
Yes. . . . . spanked, but never by my mother
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by emmablow11(m): 9:34pm On Dec 02, 2009
haha, fhemmy, was it your househelp that spanked you! You got me thinking, LOL
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by chillbabe(f): 10:02pm On Dec 02, 2009
Yes i was spanked and it taught me one thing never ever spanked my daughters. They r now 22 and 23 years old and i never gave them a slap nt 2 talk of spanking. What parents need 2 do is talk 2 their kids and be consistant in their upbringing. That is what kids wants and needs.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Fhemmmy: 10:15pm On Dec 02, 2009
emmablow11:

haha, fhemmy, was it your househelp that spanked you! You got me thinking, LOL

You have a dirty mind.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by SeanT21(f): 11:58pm On Dec 02, 2009
emmablow11:

When someone commits an atrocity in America, they blame his/her actions on poor parenting or childhood.Most of them say they were spanked as kids and never had a childhood.

Were you spanked as a kid, if yes/no, has it affected your life in anyway.

I was spanked as a kid and was always locked in doors when my parents were away, it came to a point that i ran away from home, now i feel theres no much connection to me and my home cos i don't like to stay in, i always have somewhere in mind to go,just to avoid sitting in that house.Now i'm trying to relate it with my upbringing, is there a connection?

shocked Sorry.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by davidif: 9:05am On Dec 03, 2009
I wasn't always spanked as a kid, I WAS FLOGGED! and it made me a much better person. I can't imagine how terrible my life would have turned out to be hadn't i been flogged.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by MrCrackles(m): 9:06am On Dec 03, 2009
Topic
I was smacked a few times. . .But nothing in the extreme
Now that is LUCKY grin
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by emmablow11(m): 2:38pm On Dec 03, 2009
I think i'm a better person with all the spanks, but i hate to see kids cry,i don't think i will ever spank mine, i'll talk and relate to them well enough to bring out the best in them.Spanking didnt bring out the best in me,it created fear and a lost feeling!
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Sagamite(m): 7:53pm On Dec 03, 2009
As davidif said, I was not spanked, I was flogged.

It normally occurred maximum 3/4 times a year. My mum never really spanked as she is a gentle soul, and when she did it was laughable. I actually laughed one time when she was trying to beat me when I was 15 and was wondering why she was embarassing herself. She is not cut for that kind of stuff.

My father? *bites nails and feels a cold wind*

If not for my father, I would not be who I am today. I was an easily distracted child and I did not like education. I did it only because I realised I had to so as to succeed in life. My father ensured I did not only do it, but I did it well.

I was not allowed to go to places that could corrupt me like parties or bringing girls home. And even to visit friends was after I had completed the questions at the end of a chapter of my Maths/Further Maths/Physics/Chemistry (Ababio)/Geography/Biology/English text book (more frequently it was Maths, so i.e. about 30 maths questions a day, keeps the moronicity away) which left maximum 2 hours a day to see friends. I did one chapter a day and when I finish all subjects listed, I start all over again to ensure I understand.

I was a smart rebel (i.e. not open or  confrontational, more like stealth) and used to sneak out frequently. When I got to the UK and got my 100% freedom, I didn't go wild as I am not the type to follow the crowd or try and be a wannabe (I don't drink and don't smoke and yes "I still have the cool factor", never going to start that rubbish to impress any mofos). I just really went out to work or visit people mainly, I did not go wild and party til the cows got home, only occassionally. I was focused on my education, even though I did not like it and still don't like it til today except mathematics.

I have always visioned in my head the scenario of what if I unfortunately lost my Dad young and the nurturing was left to my Mum only? Jesus!!! I would have been a failure on earth. Probably I would have been distributing my mix-tape in street corners at my age now.

Under my , if I had got 3 Cs in exams, she would have gone to church to give glory to God whilst she and her church society members (Omo Egbe Ranchers Bees) shake their ikebes in a jubilatory seance for "what the Lord has done for them" and the donation that day would make the pastor smile for a week. She just never criticises and loves to just get along.

My father, even with 2As and a B, would have asked "what happened to the last A?" "Did you lose it on the bus on the way home". The good thing about the man is that he was a rib-cracker, and when you are not in trouble then there is a lot of laughter. I was even allowed to yab him well and used to take the piss out of him. For him, when you have finished the further maths textbook and you are genius at it, then you are free to blast music and do breakdancing in the sitting room.

No doubt, if the need is required, I will smack my kids. It would not be the only resort but they would know it is a "clear and present danger". On the other hand, I might have a child I never smack just because I have judged the child might respond to other punishment and smacking is not required for a child with that temperament (this would most likely be a girl or a very gentle boy). But the one I know only smacking is the language he understands, I will take the sweetest and most glorious delight in heating up his bum. FIRE! Like holy ghost fire.

You can't say you would only use spanner anytime your car is faulty, sometimes you might need a screwdriver or, in extreme cases, even a hammer.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Dec 03, 2009
I was properly flogged with NEPA cables so much that i developed an intense dislike for my father from an early age. He did apologize quite recently and knowing how much courage it took from him to say those words with tears in his eyes . . . there was no way i could refuse to forgive him. But truth is i do commend him for doing what he needed to do (he over-did it yes!) . . . under my father there was no excuse for failure. I learnt maths under the terror of the cane so much so that by the time i was in SS1 i had finished the entire senior secondary school syllabus for mathematics.

Will i flog my kids . . . YES! I hated it but it made me a responsible individual in the end. My mom couldnt flog even if her life depended on it and by the time i was 12 yrs old she may as well be talking to the wall . . . unless she threatened to report to my father i was not obliged to listen to her.
I still bear faint marks from the NEPA cables, they are a constant reminder that being who i am did not come without sacrifice. Perhaps it explains why i have very little sympathy for those who blame everyone else but themselves for their ow struggles in life.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by r231(m): 9:18pm On Dec 03, 2009
Yes - I experienced physical punishment both at home and at school. In hindsight, I think it certainly taught me the difference between right and wrong - or at least that particular adults stab at right and wrong! Am I a better adult now because of it? HELL YEA and I spank my lil girl as well all she need to do is do something wrong and see my face she will run but not dat far cus i always catch up with her lol
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by mamagee3(f): 1:58am On Dec 04, 2009
I have been spanked severally. tongue
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by omogenaija(f): 5:13am On Dec 04, 2009
Yes , I was spanked and I appericate my parents and respect them more for it ,
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Amigoz(f): 5:48am On Dec 04, 2009
. . . . more like caned . . . sometimes out of frustration I came to realise. . . .Didnt kill me , part of who I am today. . .
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by iice(f): 2:58pm On Dec 04, 2009
Yes!. . .spanked, flogged, caned. . . cheesy Never by popsi grin Momsi na the iron lady cool
Didn't really affect me. . .preferred it to those long sermons grin Will I is spank? Depends on what they fear most. . .the spanking or the sermons.  Either one that will keep them in line will be handed out tongue
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by mamagee3(f): 12:18am On Dec 06, 2009
I always got spanked. tongue
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Dclique(m): 12:36am On Dec 06, 2009
A little.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Fhemmmy: 3:06am On Dec 06, 2009
spear the rod and spoil the child
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by OAM4J: 4:36am On Dec 06, 2009
Yes I was spanked many times, hated it then, but now am grateful cos those spanking shaped my life for good. Might spank my kids if necessary.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Fhemmmy: 5:20am On Dec 06, 2009
OAM4J:

Yes I was spanked many times, hated it then, but now am grateful cos those spanking shaped my life for good. Might spank my kids if necessary.

the buzz statement
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Nobody: 5:29am On Dec 06, 2009
All I can say is, I was not speared.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Fhemmmy: 5:55am On Dec 06, 2009
;d

Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Hanoobaba(m): 7:58am On Dec 06, 2009
Which one is spank again? I was caned, flogged and beaten like a drum. I don't know why that guy hates me so much cos I was the only one he treated that badly. The worst part is that he will flog me today and maybe about three days later, he sees the injuries he has inflicted on me he will give me another knock and say my rough play is too much. Maybe he has forgotten he beat me or maybe he's doing it on purpose I don't know.
Re: Spanked As A Kid? by Fhemmmy: 3:47pm On Dec 06, 2009
Lol

(1) (Reply)

Do Rich People Make Bad Parents? / 8 Practical Tips To Preparing For Marriage / Nigerian Couple Give Birth To White Blue-eyed Blonde Baby Girl!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.