Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,827 members, 7,851,808 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:31 AM

Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency (14031 Views)

Walter Onnoghen Meets With Buhari Behind Closed-Door At The Presidential Villa / Profile Of Justice W.S. Nkanu Onnoghen: Chief Justice Of Nigeria / CJN Slot: Buhari Under Pressure, As Plot To Sideline Onnoghen Thickens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by hobbex: 8:12am On Feb 03, 2017
” In Nigeria, in the judicial branch of government, we have seen this happened. In my own state, Cross River State, the Chief Judge who is the current one was appointed on acting capacity and when his tenure expired, he was again appointed on acting capacity. So, trying to blackmail the president over this is bad

So because it happened in your state and it's happening now, doesn't make it right, let the right thing be done
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by agabusta: 8:13am On Feb 03, 2017
mayorchelsea:
You can not send Magu's name to the NA twice for confirmation and not forward the name of the acting CJN and expect people not to think of religious or tribal sentiments,Buhari and his advisers sef!That's even if he listens to them.

agabusta:

And you Deliberately ignored the fact that Magu was in acting capacity for almost 2 years before his name was sent to the senate for confirmation.

I am sure if Magu was from the South, people like you would have claimed that was the reason he was in Acting capacity for so long.
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by pricipal2003(m): 8:36am On Feb 03, 2017
Oh God! Why is it that these people in authority in Nigeria are so empty upstairs. He has gone to moon and back with baseless and stupid explanations, yet he is not able to give a single reason why the acting chief judge has not been confirmed. What a pity!
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by Bellowalex12: 8:38am On Feb 03, 2017
Nepotism is worse than corruption. Buhari's system of governance is a threat to our collective dignity.

4 Likes

Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by Teespice(f): 9:05am On Feb 03, 2017
yimu.
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by millhouse: 9:25am On Feb 03, 2017
That name buhari is becoming synonymous with anything Bad.. Have u noticed d country has been peaceful since he left for his 'Deserved leave'.?
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by 2rez: 10:00am On Feb 03, 2017
HarmeyG:
I am beginning to wonder if God cursed us by putting us togeda wit northerners. Nigeria without d north will do just fine!

God never cussed us. Of a truth, that nomenclature Nigeria is a cuss itself.
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by Xaddy(m): 10:34am On Feb 03, 2017
Those who always try to give ethnoreligious colourations to everything PMB does are really pissing me off. First, Magu has been in acting capacity for almost two years before his name was send for confirmation, I am sure if he were a southerner this same people will start their usual song...

Second, Pfffffft... Why do I even bother?
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 11:10am On Feb 03, 2017
dokyOloye:
Your master sheik Osama BinHary is quick to re-send Magu's name for confirmation after d senate rejected it d 1st time,in spite of heavy corruption allegations hanging on his head.
But when it's time for d CJN,U start trying to bamboozle us wt motion wtout movement English.
U think say all of us na illiterate almajiris?

Magu has been in acting capacity since 2015..
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by ISTANDWITHBUHAR: 11:11am On Feb 03, 2017
BeeBeeOoh:
Buhari knows that the probability of him winning 2019 election is very thin and her knows Justice Onnoghen's record, so he's looking for a way to install a northerner as the CJN.

How I wish people can see the handwriting on the wall

Never knew Buhari is a lady ooo
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by themanderon: 12:01pm On Feb 03, 2017
Banana republic. This country is a joke. Just imagine the reason this clueless aid is giving. Do this clowns actually think any sane human believes all the trash they keep spilling on a daily basis justifying their failures to act?......maybe their zombies do.
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by orunto27: 12:22pm On Feb 03, 2017
NONSENSE!!
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by yedidiah(m): 12:36pm On Feb 03, 2017
Oga you have not said anything reasonable. All you did was give cheap argument that can't win a debate.

Give us a reason why Onoghen hasn't been confirmed it when he will be confirmed.
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by Bimpe29: 12:41pm On Feb 03, 2017
Baba is slow as far as this is concerned.
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by brojoshua: 1:38pm On Feb 03, 2017
Nothing really runs well in a corrupt country
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by GreyLaw(m): 3:14pm On Feb 03, 2017
agabusta:

And you Deliberately ignored the fact that Magu was in acting capacity for almost 2 years before his name was sent to the senate for confirmation.

I wanted to keep silent at your comment, but couldn't

Magu's position is one completely under executive purview: no time limit, no expiry put on his postion of 'acting chairman', plus, his name can be sent several times. In Magu's case, the complete prerogative lies with the president.

For Onnoghen's case, it is a completely different arm of government, with the constitution to back them up. Furthermore, there is a time limit of 3 months set to his position of ACJN in which case he'll be retired, I think, if he isn't confirmed as the substantial CJN. Thus, the president is doing his image a lot of harm by not sending the man's name for confirmation without giving Nigerians cogent reasons.

Finally, the President's antecedents do not speak well of him at all, especially in the area of fairness to all region in terms of appointments. Let him do whatever he wants, in the end, posterity will judge him.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by agabusta: 4:25pm On Feb 03, 2017
GreyLaw:

I wanted to keep silent at your comment, but couldn't

Magu's position is one completely under executive purview: no time limit, no expiry put on his postion of 'acting chairman', plus, his name can be sent several times. In Magu's case, the complete prerogative lies with the president.

For Onnoghen's case, it is a completely different arm of government, with the constitution to back them up. Furthermore, there is a time limit of 3 months set to his position of ACJN in which case he'll be retired, I think, if he isn't confirmed as the substantial CJN. Thus, the president is doing his image a lot of harm by not sending the man's name for confirmation without giving Nigerians cogent reasons.

Finally, the President's antecedents do not speak well of him at all, especially in the area of fairness to all region in terms of appointments. Let him do whatever he wants, in the end, posterity will judge him.

dokyOloye:
Your master sheik Osama BinHary is quick to re-send Magu's name for confirmation after d senate rejected it d 1st time,in spite of heavy corruption allegations hanging on his head.
But when it's time for d CJN,U start trying to bamboozle us wt motion wtout movement English.

agabusta:

As you can see, the person I replied was the one that used Magu as a comparison. Although there are lots of inconsistencies in your response, but I'll just let it pass, as my response was based mainly on the usage of Magu as an analogy by the poster I quoted.
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by GreyLaw(m): 4:36pm On Feb 03, 2017
agabusta:

As you can see, the person I replied was the one that used Magu as a comparison. Although there are lots of inconsistencies in your response, but I'll just let it pass, as my response was based mainly on the usage of Magu as an analogy by the poster I quoted.

Well, my point is that if Onnoghen is to become the CJN, he cannot wait two years like Magu, except there is another way around it. And this is in reference to the three-month time limit set on his position as Acting CJN.
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by agabusta: 5:29pm On Feb 03, 2017
GreyLaw:

Well, my point is that if Onnoghen is to become the CJN, he cannot wait two years like Magu, except there is another way around it. And this is in reference to the three-month time limit set on his position as Acting CJN.

The prerogative of appointment is with Mr. President according to the constitution. If the president decides to wait out the 3 months period, he has not run foul of the constitution.

In fact, the constitution clearly even specifies what should happen in case such a scenario occurs. Mr. President cannot be stampeded into making critical decisions in a hurry as he will be one to fully bear the blames of such decisions. Even if he eventually decides to bypass Justice Onnoghen, he still has not run foul of constitutional provisions on the appointment of the CJN.

The Acting tenure of Justice Onnoghen is not yet over, so we should not preempt what the future can birth.
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by GreyLaw(m): 11:41pm On Feb 03, 2017
agabusta:

The prerogative of appointment is with Mr. President according to the constitution. If the president decides to wait out the 3 months period, he has not run foul of the constitution.

In fact, the constitution clearly even specifies what should happen in case such a scenario occurs. Mr. President cannot be stampeded into making critical decisions in a hurry as he will be one to fully bear the blames of such decisions. Even if he eventually decides to bypass Justice Onnoghen, he still has not run foul of constitutional provisions on the appointment of the CJN.

The Acting tenure of Justice Onnoghen is not yet over, so we should not preempt what the future can birth.

No, we are not preempting the future, and we know all the constitution says as regards this matter. Point is, if the three-month period elapses, the guy, Onnoghen, is gone.

Yes, the president would not have run foul of the consitution if he does not substantiate the ACJN, but remember what I said earlier: the president's leanings in terms of appointments do not favour his image, as he has hitherto had this penchant for appointing his fellows from up north into sensitive positions, hence the noise from Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by agabusta: 6:05am On Feb 04, 2017
GreyLaw:

No, we are not preempting the future, and we know all the constitution says as regards this matter. Point is, if the three-month period elapses, the guy, Onnoghen, is gone.

Yes, the president would not have run foul of the consitution if he does not substantiate the ACJN, but remember what I said earlier: the president's leanings in terms of appointments do not favour his image, as he has hitherto had this penchant for appointing his fellows from up north into sensitive positions, hence the noise from Nigerians.

Is Justice Onnoghen the only JSC from the South??

When the Service Chiefs were appointed all of them had seniors.

The Chief of Defence Staff from Ekiti had lots of seniors from the North.

Even the Chief of Naval Staff from Cross River state had other people from the North as his seniors but they were all bypassed and he was appointed.

The position of CJN is not the birthright of Justice Onnoghen. The president can decide to bypasss him and the substitute nomination and request further nominations.

You people should stop talking as if it must only be Justice Onnoghen.

The constitution does not impose such seniority succession plan, it came by convention and it's rigidity can result in a wrong candidate getting appointed no matter the stains on his/her dossier.

The framers of the constitution that gave the elected leader of the country the prerogative of appointment, as it is also applicable in so many other countries of the world knows what they were doing.

Justice Onnoghen is not the only Justice of the Supreme court. The president can decide to bypass him and request the nomination of another person. Recall that the last time we had a CJN from the south also coincide with when Buhari was the Head of State.

Infact the NJC is supposed to be giving presidents flexibility by nominating as many as 5 persons. Instead of trying to tie the hand of the president.

The reason for this seemingly teleguiding of the president is simply because the NJC as presently constituted gives too much powers to the CJN. The senate needs to look into this and ensure the NJC is made more democratic.
Re: Why We Are Delaying Justice Onnoghen's Comfirmation - Presidency by EazyMoh(m): 6:58am On Feb 04, 2017
dokyOloye:
And how long did Magu serve in acting capacity before his name was forwarded for confirmation?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Asset Declaration: CCB Gives Buhari, Osinbajo, Others Tuesday Deadline To Submit / Shun Religion, Ethnicity In Choosing Tinubu’s VP, Ex-Deputy Govs Urge APC / Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.