Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,225 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? (13994 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala: 4 Methods Corrupt Nigerians Use To Steal Nigeria's Money / Drama Trails Scrapping Of First Lady Titles, Offices In States-Daily Trust / Why Do Nigerians Confuse Titles With Professions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 7:33pm On May 01, 2012
In Nigeria, you see people go with titles like: Engr. Tunde Osuofia, Dr. and Dr. (Mrs.) Sunday Omomo, Barr. Ben Dansokoto,
Chief (Dr.) Umolu etc.

Why are we so dumb?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by aljharem(m): 7:47pm On May 01, 2012
Hmmmmmm what is dumb about that ?

If you are a Chief and also a Doctor, what do you call the person when addressing him in a formal letter ?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by DisGuy: 7:48pm On May 01, 2012
because we are too educated to have any sense

I saw one recently, Engr (Dr) xxxxx Shobanjo -- to be fair to her, she might not address herself that way
but naija media- Bisi Olatilo
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 7:50pm On May 01, 2012
alj harem: Hmmmmmm what is dumb about that ?

If you are a Chief and also a Doctor, what do you call the person when addressing him in a formal letter ?

Chief supersedes Dr. so the person should be addressed simply as Chief Bleep
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by aljharem(m): 7:56pm On May 01, 2012
Obiagu1:

Chief supersedes Dr. so the person should be addressed simply as Chief Bleep

Obiagu what of those Prof in foreign countries they address as MEngr, Phd etc Williams.

I am looking a letter to show you *
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by dubem3(m): 7:59pm On May 01, 2012
personally, i feel that titles are what mediocres use to shield themselves. You would agree with me that no genuinely schooled individual would let his title trail him a mile behind.

wHAT'S IN A NAME?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by aljharem(m): 8:02pm On May 01, 2012
Na wa o !

I no fit find letter angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 8:03pm On May 01, 2012
alj harem:

Obiagu what of those Prof in foreign countries they address as MEngr, Phd etc Williams.

I am looking a letter to show you *

You do not use titles if you are using a professional designation like Ph.D, P.Eng or Esquire.
The formal or social way to address such a person is Prof., Dr., Mr., Mrs. Ms. etc.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by aljharem(m): 8:06pm On May 01, 2012
Obiagu1:

You do not use titles if you are using a professional designation like Ph.D, P.Eng or Esquire.
The formal or social way to address such a person is Prof., Dr., Mr., Mrs. Ms. etc.

Oh I see what you mean, you know we learn everyday.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 8:07pm On May 01, 2012
Dis Guy: because we are too educated to have any sense

I saw one recently, Engr (Dr) xxxxx Shobanjo -- to be fair to her, she might not address herself that way
but naija media- Bisi Olatilo

LMAO @ Engr (Dr)
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by aljharem(m): 8:08pm On May 01, 2012
Obiagu I actually though those people written English was right you know undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by bakila: 8:10pm On May 01, 2012
Go ask Newswatch abi na Guardian they paid for libel by not addressing a Barrister who is a Chief with that title, dem eyes clear.

Infact you will see a Pharmacist (Dr) Pilot, His Execellency as Titles before somebody's name one day. If you talk you will be accused of jealous bad belleism.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 8:29pm On May 01, 2012
Titles are wonderful when dealing with the Nigerian Police, abeg! grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by aljharem(m): 8:32pm On May 01, 2012
naijababe: Titles are wonderful when dealing with the Nigerian Police, abeg! grin
grin grin grin grin correct ma
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Kilode1: 9:18pm On May 01, 2012
naijababe: Titles are wonderful when dealing with the Nigerian Police, abeg! grin

Chief. Engr. Dr. Mrs. Forexologist, Otun Iyalode of Lagos Naijababe. DS.c Ph.d Cantab, FNIE, IIEE, IIE, FIET, MBA, OFR. PSI.

Iba! grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by aljharem(m): 9:20pm On May 01, 2012
Kilode?!:

Chief. Engr. Dr. Mrs. Forexologist, Otun Iyalode of Lagos Naijababe. DS.c Ph.d Cantab, FNIE, IIEE, IIE, FIET, MBA, OFR. PSI.

Iba! grin

wetin be IIE sef grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Kilode1: 9:22pm On May 01, 2012
alj harem:

wetin be IIE sef grin grin grin grin

International Institute of Effizy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Nobody: 9:40pm On May 01, 2012
Kilode?!:

Iba! grin

Only me shocked Na where my name go kon dey o? Eku'ya ana o grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Kilode1: 9:47pm On May 01, 2012
naijababe:

Only me shocked Na where my name go kon dey o? Eku'ya ana o grin

Name Ke? What do you need a name for when you have all those important titles?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:45pm On May 01, 2012
It's just a manifestation of how conceited we can be as a poeple. Attaching so much importance to a degree/qualification which most times we don't use as our primary means of earning a living: we are normally too busy engaged in politics or chasing contracts. The modest ones just answer to 'Mr' unless of course they're a medical doctor.

The one i can't understand is 'Architect' shocked. Give yourself the task of searching for one world-class construction they've designed in the country -never mind abroad- and you'll come a cropper.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by odumchi: 10:53pm On May 01, 2012
@ Obiagu

I think it's more of a 'statement maker' than anything. People who answer Dr, Engr, Esq, and etc deserve to be properly recognized for their work because it's not easy to spend x amount of years studying in a university. Let's give honor to who honor is due.

An Igbo proverb goes, let one answer what he was appointed.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by BlackBaron: 10:56pm On May 01, 2012
Add Eze of Nairaland, Oba of Nairaland et al to that list too.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 11:02pm On May 01, 2012
odumchi: @ Obiagu

I think it's more of a 'statement maker' than anything. People who answer Dr, Engr, Esq, and etc deserve to be properly recognized for their work because it's not easy to spend x amount of years studying in a university. Let's give honor to who honor is do.

An Igbo proverb goes, let one answer what he was appointed.

Statement maker shocked

A beg, it's a gross display of ignorance. You don't create a title when non exists!
I can see their work all over Nigeria where they are "properly" displayed; mediocrity everywhere.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by emiye(m): 11:14pm On May 01, 2012
A form of filling up the gap created by inferiority complex

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by odumchi: 11:32pm On May 01, 2012
Obiagu1:

Statement maker shocked

A beg, it's a gross display of ignorance. You don't create a title when non exists!
I can see their work all over Nigeria where they are "properly" displayed; mediocrity everywhere.

It's a different story when someone bestows titles upon himself, but when one actually works to earn them, he or she should be acknowledged for all of them be it one or twenty.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 11:43pm On May 01, 2012
odumchi:

It's a different story when someone bestows titles upon himself, but when one actually works to earn them, he or she should be acknowledged for all of them be it one or twenty.

Even when such title does not exist?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by kokoA(m): 11:59pm On May 01, 2012
When I was in the university a lecturer once walked me out of his office and warned me never to step a foot there again. What was my offence? I addressed him as 'Mr' .. But I never knew he had compeleted his doctorate degree then. For naija title na serious mata o.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by odumchi: 12:00am On May 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

Even when such title does not exist?

I thought you were talking about titles like: Dr., Esq., Eng., and etc?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 12:03am On May 02, 2012
odumchi:

I thought you were talking about titles like: Dr., Esq., Eng., and etc?

Is Eng. or Engr. a title? Let me know your level of exposure smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by odumchi: 12:07am On May 02, 2012
Obiagu1:

Is Eng. or Engr. a title? Let me know your level of exposure smiley

Actually it is. Once a person becomes a qualified engineer he or she earns the title 'Engr' just as a medical student would earn 'Dr'. In fact, I have a relative who answers 'Engr'.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by Obiagu1(m): 12:11am On May 02, 2012
odumchi:

Actually it is. Once a person becomes a qualified engineer he or she earns the title 'Engr' just as a medical student would earn 'Dr'. In fact, I have a relative who answers 'Engr'.

Unfortunately, Engr. does not exist. Just don't argue that.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Use Shocking Titles? by naptu2: 12:29am On May 02, 2012
Inherited from the British, eg, General (Sir) Peter Edgar de la Cour de la Billière. Field Marshal, The Right Honourable Bernard Law Montgomery,
The Viscount Montgomery of Alamein
KG GCB DSO PC. The Right Honourable Tony Blair.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Budget Office: NNPC Paying N53 Subsidy On Every Litre Of Petrol / APC Crisis: Two Factions Flex Muscles Over NEC Meeting / Nigeria's Refineries Post ₦406.62 Billion Loss In Two Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.