Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,744 members, 7,827,746 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? (1386 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Giving And Recieving With The Left Hand. / Itching Of The Left Hand (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by baby4u2(f): 10:48pm On Dec 02, 2009
We had a little talk among the elders and the youths in my church. I know it is more cultural than anything especially among a certain tribe, that giving someone something with the left hand is rude. My friend told me his father refused to collect something from him because he used his left hand, and he had a whole lot in his right hand. I don't understand how one would be on my left side, let's say in the car or in a tight corner where you can't turn properly and I still can't use my left which is convenient at the moment to give out something. One of the elders in my church said the right side is positive and the left means negative. Lol, others said the left is used to pack dirt. I don't understand this meantality is something really wrong with the left hand?
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by sjeezy8: 10:53pm On Dec 02, 2009
lol left hand is too funny
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:07pm On Dec 02, 2009
There has been so many pf these topics. Anyway, nothing is wrong with your left hand. It's just culture. You either choose to ascribe to it, or you don't. It's that simple.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by Nobody: 12:09am On Dec 03, 2009
@poster
someone once told me that some people refuse to touch anything coming from your left hand because its supposedly the hand with which you wipe your ass and therefore not very clean.
but dont take my words for it.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by 1forall: 12:39am On Dec 03, 2009
Nothing girl, 'ts just a fussy old part of our culture
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by THEAMAKA3(f): 12:51am On Dec 03, 2009
lol
the left hand is so wrong!! all of my kids will be trained with the right hand.
naw jk

MRbrownJAY:

@poster
someone once told me that some people refuse to touch anything coming from your left hand because its supposedly the hand with which you wipe your ass and therefore not very clean.
same exact thing i heard.
i had a teacher way back when and he did his Peace Corps in Tanzania. thats the exact reason they told him why the left hand was wrong and they dont use it for anything besides that.
so im guessing thats the reason.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by Hesperus(m): 12:54am On Dec 03, 2009
MRbrownJAY:

@poster

OK, now this is just so wrong! Most left-handed people wipe their asses with their right hands, same way right-handed people do the opposite!
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by Nobody: 1:15am On Dec 03, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

lol
the left hand is so wrong!! all of my kids will be trained with the right hand.
naw jk
same exact thing i heard.
i had a teacher way back when and he did his Peace Corps in Tanzania. thats the exact reason they told him why the left hand was wrong and they dont use it for anything besides that.
so im guessing thats the reason.

you say you were born in America?

just asking.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by THEAMAKA3(f): 1:16am On Dec 03, 2009
yes i was. born, raised, and currently living.
why?
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by Nobody: 1:28am On Dec 03, 2009
^^ just wondering.

You seem extremely Nigerian most times.

Did you spend a long time in Nigeria?
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by THEAMAKA3(f): 1:38am On Dec 03, 2009
lol not at all
ive visited naija but it was like at 5-6 weeks at a time.
ive never lived there, but ive been there for vacations.
i seem very nigerian? how? because i speak pigin?
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by Nobody: 1:53am On Dec 03, 2009
^^ no, not because you speak pidgin.

Just your general demeanor- seems like someone who lived in Nigeria.

One would expect you to have more of an AA bearing, but you dont. By AA I dont necessarily mean ghetto and hiphop.

hmm, I guess Nigerian parents overseas are doing a good job raising their kids as Nigerians or in their various ethnic affiliations.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by THEAMAKA3(f): 1:56am On Dec 03, 2009
yeah im not really into all that american stuff.
i dont watch american movies that much, they dont really interest me.
i would rather watch nigerian movies (even though they arent that great) of my own people acting. i feel i relate more to their movies for some reason. maybe because its my people that i feel a strong connection.
i dont listen to hip hop either, mostly naija music. lol
so yeah, im more into naija than all this useless junk that goes on here.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by Nobody: 2:04am On Dec 03, 2009
^^ did you watch Mr Rogers, Barney, Reading Rainbow, Clifford, etc when growing up?
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by THEAMAKA3(f): 2:22am On Dec 03, 2009
lmao!! what does that have to do with anything?
undecided
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by Nobody: 2:30am On Dec 03, 2009
@ THE AMAKA

Good for you.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by THEAMAKA3(f): 2:33am On Dec 03, 2009
^^^
what do you mean? undecided
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by Nobody: 2:34am On Dec 03, 2009
Exactly what I meant.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by Nobody: 2:59am On Dec 03, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

lmao!! what does that have to do with anything?
undecided

just wondering.

Did you?

I think a lot of kids born in the US feel more connected to their parents cultures than anywhere else.

Nothing wrong with that. Mexicans have been aware of this for ages.

Africans are supposed to assimilate into the general black/AA culture but I doubt thats as easy as it sounds. cheesy
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:08am On Dec 03, 2009
tpia.:

just wondering.

Did you?

I think a lot of kids born in the US feel more connected to their parents cultures than anywhere else.

Nothing wrong with that. Mexicans have been aware of this for ages.

Africans are supposed to assimilate into the general black/AA culture but I doubt thats as easy as it sounds. cheesy
yeah i did watch those shows once in a while.
i used to be a Barney freak!! loved that show. i think i still know every song till date. lol
yeah most people feel connected more to their parent's cultures. and mexico is even in the backyard of america, so thats even more understanding.
i hardly associate with blacks. well i do, but where im from most of them are ghetto, so i dont really hang around them. not that there is anything wrong with being ghetto, its just not my cup of tea.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by foyeks2001(f): 12:22pm On Dec 03, 2009
do as the elders say, we are africans
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by 1forall: 12:39pm On Dec 03, 2009
Abeg make una no hijack this topic o!
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by baby4u2(f): 5:00pm On Dec 04, 2009
Thanks 1forall. Amaka and Hubby haba, open another page abeg. smiley

Foyeks2001 we are not trying to disrespect our elders here but why are they stereotypical and inconsiderate. One of the men in my church raised a good example. Some of this elders when working here in U.S. would gladly collect something from their boss (Not a Nigerian or African boss) without thinking which hand is which.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With My Left Hand? by Outstrip(f): 7:25pm On Dec 04, 2009
It's just sheer ignorance. Silliness at its highest

(1) (Reply)

Where Are You Fulaman? / What's So Great About Being A Virgin Anyway / Ooni On Royal And Peaceful Tour To Ondo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.