Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,068 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump (18515 Views)

Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration / OMG! Woman Returns Her Newborn Grandson Back To The Hospital Because He’s 2 Ugly / Woman Who Went Unclad In Protest For Zambian Opposition Leader Jailed. Photos (2) (3) (4)

Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by omenti(m): 8:11am On Feb 03, 2017
Alma Siller Contreras is a 59-year old Mexican woman who lives in Hermosillo, a town two-and-a-half hours south of the US border.

For as long as she can remember she has had a tourist visa for the US, a document Mexicans require if they want to visit their northern neighbours.

Ms Siller used her visa regularly to go on shopping trips and on weekend visits to see family living in Arizona, Las Vegas and New York.

However, last Monday, she went to the US consulate in her hometown to hand the document back.

"I've come to do something rather unusual. I want to return my visa," she announced to stunned consular staff.

Her decision dates back to last year, when she heard the then-US presidential candidate Donald Trump refer to Mexicans as rapists and criminals.
"I told my husband: 'That's not right, imagine if he becomes president'," she recalls. "If that happens I'll return my visa," she pledged at the time.

Taking action
On Monday, Ms Siller walked into the consulate and handed in her visa along with a handwritten letter in which she explained her decision.

"I'm returning my visa voluntarily because I'm offended by your new President Donald Trump's attitude towards my country, Mexico, and its people," she wrote.
"This is my way of protesting and expressing my support for my beloved country and its inhabitants," she added.

Ms Siller also announced that she would be requesting a new visa once Mr Trump was no longer in office.

"If I get it, great. If not it's fine too, my decision is made," she concluded.
After a family member posted a copy of Ms Siller's handwritten letter on Facebook she became somewhat of a celebrity in Mexico.
Many of her acquaintances told her they admired her for what she did.

Ms Siller says her was not an act of courage, as some of her friends had called it.
She also does not expect other Mexicans to do the same.

"Every person has to follow his or her own soul. I wouldn't ask anybody to return their visas, not even my children," she said.

Thorny relations
But she does have a message for Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto.

One of Mr Trump's main promises during his electoral campaign was to build a wall on the border with Mexico.

Three days into his presidency, Mr Trump signed an executive order to start its construction and said that Mexico would pay for the wall.

In response, President Pena Nieto cancelled a state visit to Washington.
Ms Siller said she would like to see Mr Pena Nieto stand up to his US counterpart a bit more.

"He should be a bit more aggressive in defending us," she said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-38847324
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by SalamRushdie: 8:13am On Feb 03, 2017
Very Good , the US doesn't need her type she is very irrational ....Go Trump I Salam Rushdie is behind you

32 Likes

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by madridguy(m): 8:14am On Feb 03, 2017
WHY BLAMING TRUMP? REMEMBER IT IS PART OF TRUMP'S ELECTION PROMISES, YET THE AMERICANS VOTED FOR HIM, MEANING THAT IS WHAT THEY WANT.

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by dunkem21(m): 8:21am On Feb 03, 2017
cheesy That is a woman of her words cheesy ..

Anybody that still wants to tear his/her card is always welcome cheesy

Sai Trump!

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by veekid(m): 8:26am On Feb 03, 2017

oyinbo dey stand on der word; it's der pride

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by bettercreature(m): 8:27am On Feb 03, 2017
madridguy:
WHY BLAMING TRUMP? REMEMBER IT IS PART OF TRUMP'S ELECTION PROMISES, YET THE AMERICANS VOTED FOR HIM, MEANING THAT IS WHAT THEY WANT.
I wonder oo,he spelt out everything during his campaign
Within a week the world is back on it's kneel
War has resumed in Ukraine
Iran has resumed testing nuclear war heads
Israel has resumed buiding illegal settlements in west bank

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by Jeffrey12(m): 8:27am On Feb 03, 2017
And Wole Soyinka nor fit fulfil him promise cheesy grin

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by lovelyjay: 8:27am On Feb 03, 2017
Okay o
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by Nobody: 8:28am On Feb 03, 2017
Nothing presidential about Trump

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by jayAjoku(m): 8:28am On Feb 03, 2017
this one is just foolishness. . Something wey me dey find na wa o

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by ceejay80s(m): 8:28am On Feb 03, 2017
make she give me. me i need am, she fit come collect naija visa
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by BAILMONEY: 8:28am On Feb 03, 2017
WONDERFUL NEWS
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by dunkem21(m): 8:28am On Feb 03, 2017
Omoakinsuyi:

E pain am grin

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by Cyriloha(m): 8:28am On Feb 03, 2017
It changes nothing and will never stop trump for doing his demo so woman park aside

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by Agimor(m): 8:29am On Feb 03, 2017
Trump man of the people

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by Oladimejyy(m): 8:29am On Feb 03, 2017
If it is Buhari that is makes law like trump some bastard will call him DICTATOR but are hailing Trump.
#ISTANDWITHBUHARI

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by SmartMugu: 8:29am On Feb 03, 2017
Wole Soyinka saw this coming.

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by yorke1: 8:29am On Feb 03, 2017
Well done. She is not like one Professor that can't keep to his words. He threw his green card inside his pocket. Wole Soyinka is a coward!!!

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by hardywaltz(m): 8:29am On Feb 03, 2017
Are Mexicans not drug peddlers and rapíst.
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by BAILMONEY: 8:29am On Feb 03, 2017
Omoakinsuyi:
AFONJA MUSLIMS DON LAND

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by Young03(m): 8:30am On Feb 03, 2017
even soyinka tore his own no b only u
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by babasolo(m): 8:30am On Feb 03, 2017
Finally I smoked weed for the first time and nothing happened to me!! Merry Xmas to u and as we enter this 2014 we shall all see 2011 ..
Happy new year in arrears. i love ur mother

23 Likes

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by dunkem21(m): 8:30am On Feb 03, 2017
Oladimejyy:
If it is Buhari that is make law like trump some bastard will call him DICTATOR but are hailing Trump.
#ISTANDWITHBUHARI

Trump is simply fulfilling his election promises not denying it wink

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by Desdola(m): 8:31am On Feb 03, 2017
Controversial Trump! The man should take it easy
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by weedtheweeds: 8:31am On Feb 03, 2017
who cares? whose loss?
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by Larrykaysail(m): 8:31am On Feb 03, 2017
Trump rigged the election,
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by Oladimejyy(m): 8:31am On Feb 03, 2017
BAILMONEY:
AFONJA MUSLIMS DON LAND
What igbos dont know is that there is no Afonja christian or muslim among Yorubas.
We yorubas are one,we are not like the igbos we and northern have one thing in common(i.e we are unite).
DONT EVER MENTION AFONJA CHRISTIAN OR MUSLIM AGAIN OR ELSE I WILL SLAP U AND YOUR BRAIN WILL UPGRADE

Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by habex005(m): 8:32am On Feb 03, 2017
Promise kept and delivered on both parties (trump and ms sena). That what we need to emulate here
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by princechurchill(m): 8:32am On Feb 03, 2017
The first thing Trump pledge is America first others remain options
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by abatisegun: 8:32am On Feb 03, 2017
We need the type of trump in Nigeria as a leader, who will promise and fulfill his campaign promises not all these lier vying 4 d post without any clue.
Re: Mexican Woman Returns Her US Visa In Protest At Trump by luvinhubby(m): 8:32am On Feb 03, 2017
Waiting for Don King's look-alike professor to follow up on his own words.

Michelle Obama's Speech At DNC2012: Democratic National Convention / Russian Regional Governor Says Ukraine Bombed A Fuel Depot In Belgorod / Rampage In Bangladesh Over Facebook Koran Image