Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,626 members, 7,861,936 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 11:56 PM

Voke Section 144 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Voke Section 144 (716 Views)

2013 World Corruption Index: Nigeria Ranks 144 Among 177countries / Edo's 18 LGAs: PDP 144,285 Votes & ACN 477,478 Votes / Sections 144; 145 And 146 Of The 1999 Constitution: How Relevant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Voke Section 144 by Aomolade(m): 5:31am On Dec 03, 2009
Hi Nralanders,I think it is time to wake-up Nigerian parliamentarian from their deep sleep to do their job of law makers by Voking 'section 144' of the Nigerian constitution which says that if the PRESIDENT cannot carry out is adminstrative assignment due to his (sickling sicle,sickler) or wat eva condition he should resign and his 'Vice' should be sworn in a PRESIDENT'.I think it is time to free the people of Nigeria from the hands of Yar'ara'sickler.
Re: Voke Section 144 by snowdrops(m): 4:01pm On Dec 03, 2009
Is that what it says or na your own constitution be that?
Re: Voke Section 144 by Aomolade(m): 9:53am On Dec 04, 2009
Section 144 is written in boldly in black and white and is very clear on this issue that: If d president dies while in office or resign as president or if the president is unable and not able to carryout is duty 'legal obligation',he or she should resign and the vice president should be sworn in as PRESIDENT by the National Assembly.I av a copy of the Nigerian constitution,The Nigerian constition is sold every where on the street of Lagos,in Traffic jam.Why are Nigerian's been conservative on issues of Yar'ara'sickling' The law,justice,constitution and Truth?
Re: Voke Section 144 by Kobojunkie: 2:13pm On Dec 04, 2009
@Poster, here is a question I asked someone else on another thread – a question I got given the runarounds for, rather than an actually answer.

What evidence do we have to SHOW that this man is suffering from such infirmity of body or mind as renders him permanently incapable of discharging the functions of his office?

Yes, the constitution does state that if the President or Vice-President is suffering from such an infirmity of body or mind as renders him permanently incapable of discharging the functions of his office, he is removable. There is no disputing that. However, can we show that this man’s health has affected his ABILITY to do his job?

Before you go on, may I remind you that being hospitalized DOES NOT MEAN one is incapable of carrying out his/her work duties. There have been cases of CEO’s, and even presidents, running their companies from their hospital beds. So, simply stating that his being in a hospital somewhere in Saudi Arabia means he is suffering from such an infirmity of body or mind as renders him permanently incapable of discharging the functions of his office, will not satisfy 144.

We knew Yar adua was ill long before he became president. If you look back at his time as Governor of Katsina state you would note that he did take trips for his health even then but still went on to sit as governor for 8 years. During the 8 year period, he was able to “silently” perform in the same way he currently is as president, and we still deemed him competent enough to go on to be president after that record. So, I don’t see how we can nail him now for doing exactly the same thing he did back before he was president.

I do, however, believe that we can push for his removal by bringing up such things as his performance and his many vacations from office. Granted that the constitution does not specifically state how many he can have or how but bringing that up and showing that he has yet to perform much in office for the last 2.5 years. I think that will go a long way in frustrating him into resigning.

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' / Nigeri: This Is What A Normal President Should Be Doing / Nstional Assembly Gives Usa 7-day Ultimatum On Terror List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.