Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,442 members, 7,830,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' (714 Views)

Police Ban Political Ceremonies At Airports / We Seized Over N14 Billion At Airports This Year – EFCC / Jonathan Orders Issuance Of Visas At Airports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by Nobody: 9:45am On Jan 03, 2010
A Muslim MP has opened up divisions within the Islamic community by saying it is reasonable for Muslims to be singled out for extra airport security measures following the Detroit bomb attempt.

Khalid Mahmood, the Labour MP for Birmingham Perry Barr, said it had become necessary to 'profile' passengers from certain racial and religious groups in order to weed out possible terror suspects.

He said: "I think most people would rather be profiled than blown up. It wouldn't be victimisation of an entire community.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/6924417/Muslim-MP-security-profiling-at-airports-is-price-we-have-to-pay.html
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by Nobody: 9:48am On Jan 03, 2010
I am not in support of this but if it stops some bloody-thirsty, 560984327 virgin-hungry guy  then by all means.

What say you!
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by edoyad(m): 10:22am On Jan 03, 2010
It is a very rational and pragmatic statement. What are the chances that a white non-muslim named Timothy McVeigh would be carrying a bomb ? very little. What are the chances a coloured person of muslim heritage named Barack Obama would be carrying a bomb ? Higher than McVeigh's.
Mind you i'm not being sarcastic, i really do mean it when i say the odds that an Obama would be carrying a bomb are higher than McVeigh's, but of course there are exceptions. I SUPPORT 100%
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by Nobody: 10:50am On Jan 03, 2010
Stop and search was intensified in London to combat the incessant stabbings and gun crimes.
It is a no-brainer to realise that the police targeted ethnic minority who to be perfectly honest are largely behind the hideous and heinous  crimes.
A recent statistics suggests that knife and gun crimes are now on the decline.

If same logic was incorporated at airports then who knows . . . . .the chances of planes falling off the skies may reduce. The chances of some over-zealous guy trying to board a plane just to blow it up might just reduce. . . . who knows.

I am so in support of this idea although feel bad for the innocent ones.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by chika98: 10:59am On Jan 03, 2010
I don't care what they do so long as they keep the bad ones at bay. We want to be safe
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by edoyad(m): 11:07am On Jan 03, 2010
The thing with humans is we like being pretentious in our bid to appear civil. But you know what ? i was watching on TV an American documentary concerning murders at home ? The detectives said the first thing they look at is the spouse, then family, followed by neighbours and onwards. History has shown husbands are usually the most likely culprits in the event of the murder of a wife and vice versa, applying that logic to searching for prospective terrorists would not eradicate it but atleast you know where to channel man power and resources to.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by Jarus(m): 4:16pm On Jan 03, 2010
I don't have any problems with it. It's a price we have to pay for the misdeeds of some bad eggs among us.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by Lagosboy: 4:41pm On Jan 03, 2010
I reject this in totality as it will be counter productive, now tellme how do you tell a muslim apart from a non muslim except the name. Terrorist will just need to use an english name and escape profile whatever. There thousands of Caucasian muslims in the UK, thousands of Black Carribean muslims with english names , thousands of south american muslims with spanish names.

It is this kind of myopic knee jerk reaction that inflames the already bad relationship. The only people that will suffer will be pakistanis,arabs and muslims with beards and robes. Experience have taught us terrorist do not appear to be muslims except in their name.

The Muslim MP is just talking political in order not to offend the labour party heirachy, he might even lose Birmingham because of his silly comments.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 03, 2010
My Guy, this ain't no knee jerk reaction.
It's been in the pipe line for a long time.
If i'm correct, 3 or so eyars ago the UK Govt played with the idea of introducing 3-D scanners at the airport and i bet you are one of those who kicked against it not you personally

Nobody likes to be profiled or put in a box but if it stops people or the number of people whose sole reason for flying is to blow up planes then i'm game.

I gave an example of The police spot checking people of ethnic minority.
Gun and knife is reportedly on the decline since then.

It's high time the Uk govt looked at France and see what they are doing right.

France do not give a damn what your religion is.
No Hijab = No Hijab.
3-D scanner at the airport = someone checking your body for potential explosive,  . .  . etc.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by tunku(m): 5:13pm On Jan 03, 2010
Lagosboy stay in lagos you parochial sentimentalist. I absolutely support profiling when it comes to certain modes of crime.  Hell, most non muslims have no interests in blowing up planes. I think it is not beyond anyone to conclude that muslims have a monopoly on terror by plane when it comes to Attack against Western Countries. That is not to say that Muslims are all terrorists, but it makes sense to single them out when it comes to airports because when was the last time a non muslim had any intentions of crashing a plane or using it as a weapon? When it comes to truck bombs i'd suspect a white guy before anyone else (McVeigh) and when it comes to Airport/plane security profile everyone from a Muslim country and with a Muslim Background. It's been done to Obama before and it should have been done to Farouk.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by Lagosboy: 5:32pm On Jan 03, 2010
My point is muslims trannsends a particular race, how do you know a white guy with a name john smith is a terrorist. He doesnt fit the profile of a pakistani or a somali young guy.

How do you know a Brazillian muslim with the name Alphonso marcus is not a terrorist it doesnt fit the profile.

3 months ago a Nigerian student with a name umar will not fit the profile as well.

Guy this is a reactionary method, i repeat. They want to copy the israeli method but the forget israeli deals with a homogenous set of people and not as multicultural as the West.

2 months after 9/11 Richard Reid was able to get on the plane , he was white, english name, British.

Have a deep think about it.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by tunku(m): 5:35pm On Jan 03, 2010
You are the only one who thinks that muslims are a race buddy. I never made that assumption. If I did I'd stupidly say profile all arabs. It isn't that hard to spot out must muslims by name, country of origin, country of departure, and destination. Profiling doesn't just look at race only.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by Lagosboy: 5:36pm On Jan 03, 2010
tunku:

Lagosboy[b] stay in lagos you [/b] parochial sentimentalist. I absolutely support profiling when it comes to certain modes of crime.  Hell, most non muslims have no interests in blowing up planes. I think it is not beyond anyone to conclude that muslims have a monopoly on terror by plane when it comes to Attack against Western Countries. That is not to say that Muslims are all terrorists, but it makes sense to single them out when it comes to airports because when was the last time a non muslim had any intentions of crashing a plane or using it as a weapon? When it comes to truck bombs i'd suspect a white guy before anyone else (McVeigh) and when it comes to Airport/plane security profile everyone from a Muslim country and with a Muslim Background. It's been done to Obama before and it should have been done to Farouk.

Calm down bro , no need for personal attack. I dont live in lagos rather i am lagos british boy  wink

My statement remains the same use profiling and alqeda will simply get someone that doesnt fit the profile. It is as simple as that.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by Lagosboy: 5:41pm On Jan 03, 2010
tunku:

You are the only one who thinks that muslims are a race buddy. I never made that assumption. If I did I'd stupidly say profile all arabs. It isn't that hard to spot out must muslims by name, country of origin, country of departure, and destination. Profiling doesn't just look at race only.

you keep mentioning muslim country as country of depature and stuff. Bro you dont know the reality of things, more terror suspects caught recently in the west are western, they dont come from muslim countries but western countries, there are white cacasian muslims who dont have muslim names but english names. They dont fit the profile how do you spot them out.

I dont dance with the crowd , i use my brain and intelligence.

I need to enjot this arsenal game will be back later
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by tunku(m): 5:43pm On Jan 03, 2010
I'd certainly profile anyone from England. It appears that is the nexus point for Islamic fanatics.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by Lagosboy: 5:45pm On Jan 03, 2010
tunku:

I'd certainly profile anyone from England. It appears that is the nexus point for Islamic fanatics.

Now you are begining to see my point and the myopic thinking of this labour MP.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by tunku(m): 5:48pm On Jan 03, 2010
It isn't myopic. I consider England a font of Islamic Terror, I mean with sympathizers like you in their midsts it would make absolutely no sense to leave it out of the list of countries to be profiled. BTW I am not limiting it to Islamic countries, only starting from the most logical starting point. I'd certainly focus on muslims. Wasn't Reid also Muslim? I mean that is the fu.ucking point of commonality they all share. Islam. Think you bleeping asshole. But then again you are not Nigerian. Never grew up in Nigeria, Never feel the bleeping blowback of all the negative externalities you assholes heap on those of us who work hard to at least create an image of Nigerian as hardworking people despite all the other crap we  have to deal with. Yeah, go hug it out with you paki muslim brothers in jihad.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by Lagosboy: 6:08pm On Jan 03, 2010
tunku:

It isn't myopic. I consider England a font of Islamic Terror, I mean with sympathizers like you in their midsts it would make absolutely no sense to leave it out of the list of countries to be profiled. BTW I am not limiting it to Islamic countries, only starting from the most logical starting point. I'd certainly focus on muslims. Wasn't Reid also Muslim? I mean that is the fu.ucking point of commonality they all share. Islam. Think you bleeping asshole. But then again you are not Nigerian. Never grew up in Nigeria, Never feel the bleeping blowback of all the negative externalities you assholes heap on those of us who work hard to at least create an image of Nigerian as hardworking people despite all the other crap we have to deal with. Yeah, go hug it out with you paki muslim brothers in jihad.

I thought i could hold an intellectual debate with you but from the rants above i wil add you to the list of people i simply ignore their posts. I called your attention to name calling but you only increased it, emotinal rants dont work for me. I felt tempted to reply you but the prophet PBUH said "the strong is not one who lets his anger overcome him but the strong one is really the one who is able to overcome his anger when angry" I will hold back fire,
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by tunku(m): 6:27pm On Jan 03, 2010
Of course not you terrorist apologizer. You hold your fire for those people that really deserve it: Passengers on airlines, Girls trying to learn, and of course Volleyball.
Re: Muslim Mp: Security Profiling At Airports Is 'price We Have To Pay' by olanajim(m): 6:40pm On Jan 03, 2010
I am wondering what is all these noises is about. Even in muslim countries, they screen women!

What the various govs need to do is to let women screen women and men screen men. Isn't this the norm world-wide? I just wonder why some people would go to the extent of killing themselves over nothing. This is a none issue. We all need to support the measure unles there are people that would rather be bombed than screened.

(1) (Reply)

Ijora, Lagos In The Throes Of Thugs / Nstional Assembly Gives Usa 7-day Ultimatum On Terror List / Anambra 2010: Pdp, Rule Of Law And Credible Elections In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.