Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,897 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee (16382 Views)

Reps Probe Jibrin Over Counter Of NASS Resolution To Buhari / Anyim Pius Anyim Arrested By EFCC In Abuja / Blessing Anyim Is Not My Daughter - Anyim Pius Anyim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by ijustdey: 11:38pm On Feb 03, 2017
Accuses Committee chair of victimising him over Oteh

Says Hembe was angling for bribe, walks out on panel

An on-going probe of the controversial Centenary City Project by the House of Representatives Committee on the Federal Capital Territory ended in a fiasco on Friday.

The Chairman of the committee, Herman Hembe and the immediate past Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim were locked in a war of words after Anyim objected to Hembe presiding over the hearing.
Anyim later walked out on the panel.

The immediate past Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Alhaji Bala Mohammed had his own brush with Hembe whose conducted be branded as childish and unrepresentative.

The multi-billion dollar Centenary City Project was initiated by the Goodluck Jonathan Administration to mark the 100 years of the amalgamation of Nigeria’s Northern and Southern protectorates by the United Kingdom.

It was cited in Abuja.

The Reps Committee is probing alleged irregularities in the project implementation.

Anyim accused Hembe of harassing him because he (Anyim) refused to sack the former Director General of the Security and Exchange Commission, Ms Arunma Oteh as allegedly requested by Hembe after she accused Hembe of demanding bribe from her.

“When the former Managing Director of Security and Exchange Commission accused you of demanding bribe from her, you pushed for her sack and I refused to sack her as Secretary to Government of the Federation. I will not allow you to use the platform of this committee to victimise me,” Anyim charged as tension began to rise at the session yesterday.

Hember would not have that.

He shot back at Anyim, who had once served as Senate President saying:”Point of order, point of order, point of order. No, no, no, no, no.

“Hold on. The former Senate President cannot assume the chairmanship of the committee. It’s not fair. Please, sir, I have the privilege to be heard…”

Anyim: “Okay, let us not get overheated. Mr Chairman, distinguished Hon. members, let me just say briefly…”

Hembe: “Hold on, I am going to allow you to finish but hold on. Let me just say that we are a House of free laws, we are a House of order. We are a House of due process. This is not an avenue…. Let me just say to the former President of the Senate and the former SGF that in my opening remarks, I tried to show you courtesy…Please, don’t interrupt, as far as this hearing is concerned, I’m chairman here. I am chairman and I would not allow you to usurp that position!”
But the former Senate President was unrelenting.

He said: “Mr Chairman, you have been threatening to conduct this public hearing for over a year now. In fact, you ended last year with it and this year, you started again with it. You scheduled it for 27th of January and you later moved it to 1st of February and again moved it to 3rd of February.”

“Mr Chairman, we only discovered your game plan for all the postponements when you started sending messages to the Managing Director to come and see you privately. It was after all your efforts to get the Managing Director to come and see you privately failed that you confirmed this date.
I want you to know that nobody will see you privately, rather we are ready for the hearing.”

Anyim said Hembe should disqualify himself from sitting on the committee. “Mr. Chairman, you can handover to the Vice Chairman and excuse us so that hearing can proceed.”

But Hembe insisted on chairing the hearing.
What followed was Anyim walking out of the venue leaving his aides behind.

Anyim had earlier told the committee that the manner of his invitation as a former Chairman of the National Assembly was disrespectful and wondered why Hembe insisted on the probe when the Senate had concluded same.

The former Minister for the Federal Capital Territory, Senator Bala Mohammed, who initially declined to speak on the issue, faulted Hembe’s approach.

He said:”You’re putting the cart before the horse, we have procedures here. The minister of the FCT ( Mohammed Bello) is here, yet you’re behaving childishly.”

Efforts by members of the to make Mohammed withdraw his words fell on deaf ears.

“I will not take it back. You can take me to court,” he retorted.

Hembe chided Mohammed saying: “We expect that as an elder, as a Senator and a former Minister, your conduct should be above board.”

A member of the committee, Linus Okorie (Ebonyi State) was incensed as Hembe would not allow him to conclude his questions to the stakeholders present.

Hembe said that the Centenary Project comprising 1, 267 hectares was owned by two companies – Basic Start Limited and Company First Limited – with 10000 share capital each to two persons: Boma Ozobia and Paul Oki.

He questioned how two persons were allocated such a huge expanse of land.
The Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA) he said, must provide the committee with answers at the next sitting which scheduled for Tuesday.

http://thenationonlineng.net/centenary-project-anyim-walks-reps-probe-committee/

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by wilcox(m): 12:00am On Feb 04, 2017
This is how politics is played in the zoo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by Danzakidakura(m): 12:10am On Feb 04, 2017
this anyim guy is too intelligent, Allah ya ja zamani mazan jiya. I love you no homo.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by Drversatile: 12:53am On Feb 04, 2017
Hembe still got elected to the house after SEC bribery allegation? I weep for my country.

#enoughisenough

34 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by baby124: 12:55am On Feb 04, 2017
I think these criminals should be talking with police. Then police can relay their finding to these committees. It's not their place to interrogate past criminals.

5 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by effty(m): 1:53am On Feb 04, 2017
Anyim placed him where he rightly belongs. The probe is dead with Hembe as the committee's chairman.

Meanwhile, I am waiting for the next round

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by mykelmeezy: 2:14am On Feb 04, 2017
All politicians are the same......but APC members are a different species entirely

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by mrvitalis(m): 3:08am On Feb 04, 2017
Ayim is to smart for our political class... That's y he made trillions during Jonathan.. Yes i said trillions... We need men like this but those who will use their intelligence for the betterment of Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by Sibrah: 3:22am On Feb 04, 2017
Instead of him to go visit the Chairman of the damn committee and secretly videotape him in order to have a solid evidence, he is speculating the motives behind the chairman's message to come see him privately . . . . Anyim must be naive.

6 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by Sibrah: 3:25am On Feb 04, 2017
mrvitalis:
Ayim is to smart for our political class... That's y he made trillions during Jonathan.. Yes i said trillions... We need men like this but those who will use their intelligence for the betterment of Nigeria
Anyim doesn't appear smart enough for me . . . He needs to stop speculating and provide air-tight evidennces against the corrupt chairman of the committee.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by madridguy(m): 4:14am On Feb 04, 2017
SMH
Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by HRich(m): 7:51am On Feb 04, 2017
Shagari was in office from 1979 to 1983. They say his government looted the national treasury. Things were not so good but Nigeria did not go into an economic recession. Then Buhari came as military Head of State and was in office from 1983 to 1985. They say he did not loot. But during his time in office, Nigeria fell into a deep economic recession. Then came Babangida. They say he looted Nigeria from 1985 to 1993. Yet there was no economic recession. After Babangida came Shonekan and Abacha from 1993 to 1998. Abacha was also said to have looted the treasury. In fact, his loot stashed abroad is still being recovered till today. Yet there was still no economic recession. From 1998 to 2015, we have had Abdulsalami, Obasanjo, Yar'Adua and Jonathan. All administrations were accused of looting the treasury. Still there was no recession. Now Buhari is back and we are once again in a recession and you say "LOOTING" of the Jonathan years is the cause? Are we okay Do u need a prophet to tell u that this pmb is a proven failure? Don Innocent

69 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by 2019ATIKU(m): 7:53am On Feb 04, 2017
Can boko haram capture the National assembly for us grin grin angry

7 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by Thisis2raw(m): 7:54am On Feb 04, 2017
Infringement of right..

That Hembe of a man should respect people no matter what

4 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by veacea: 7:55am On Feb 04, 2017
Hembe, receive sense in Jesus name

5 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by Nobody: 7:56am On Feb 04, 2017
Hembe vs Ayim

I just dey observe una

2 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by BlackSeptember: 7:57am On Feb 04, 2017
Hembe should be in jail now for his bribery allegations

6 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by brainpulse: 7:59am On Feb 04, 2017
HRich:
Shagari was in office from 1979 to 1983. They say his
government looted the national treasury. Things were not so
good but Nigeria did not go into an economic recession. Then
Buhari came as military Head of State and was in office from
1983 to 1985. They say he did not loot. But during his time in
office, Nigeria fell into a deep economic recession. Then
came Babangida. They say he looted Nigeria from 1985 to
1993. Yet there was no economic recession. After Babangida
came Shonekan and Abacha from 1993 to 1998. Abacha was
also said to have looted the treasury. In fact, his loot
stashed abroad is still being recovered till today. Yet there
was still no economic recession. From 1998 to 2015, we have
had Abdulsalami, Obasanjo, Yar'Adua and Jonathan. All
administrations were accused of looting the treasury. Still
there was no recession. Now Buhari is back and we are once
again in a recession and you say "LOOTING" of the Jonathan
years is the cause? Are we okay
Do u need a prophet to tell u that this pmb is a proven
failure? Don Innocent
This is one of the dumb and unintelligent analysis i have seen so far. Did you consider the prevailing indices in the years you quoted, do you think economist all over the world just keep economic indices, predictions and data for nothing? When economist project and advice you to save for the raining day, do you think they just say for nothing? When NOI came out to say that GEJ had no will to save against all advice given to him which led into commencement of recession even before Buhari came in, you think she was just rapping. You must be a lazy student to understand happening in the world all over. Germany inflation rate has just gone up and so with other countries. Please don't be emotionally posting rubbish. When you had more and you determined to squandered it without saving believing things will continue rosy, then situation changes and you had no savings nor backup plans then you go poor.
Even in the bible, there were situation of famine in the land and for lands that had savings always survive those periods.
The government should just sit out and get an economic plan and implementation to get us out of this quagmire and recession.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by scantee(m): 8:00am On Feb 04, 2017
Ayim Pius Ayim- in translation it Means "Big Pius Big...lol he is too big for Hembe

5 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by legendte(m): 8:06am On Feb 04, 2017
brainpulse:

This is one of the dumb and unintelligent analysis i have seen so far. DId y
Make a better analysis Mr brainy

11 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by legendte(m): 8:08am On Feb 04, 2017
A sick car doesn't need a sick auto mechanic for repairs.

2 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by miqos03: 8:08am On Feb 04, 2017
ko
Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by bigerboy200: 8:09am On Feb 04, 2017
Sibrah:
Instead of him to go visit the Chairman of the damn committee and secretly videotape him in order to have a solid evidence, he is speculating the motives behind the chairman's message to come see him privately . . . . Anyim must be naive.
Lol..hav u 4gotten Anyim was president of d senate? He knows too well how corruption rules the house of assembly.we don't need video evidence to know these things.. why call for a private meeting with the stake holders before the public hearing?.. besides Hembe is a shameless legislator who is known to use his office to enrich his greedy self, just that now he seems to wanna start a war he can't finish..he couldn't even win d war with Oteh, yet he thinks he can fight Anyim and Bala mohammed? He is a joker.. he who come to equity must come with clean hands. I support d probe, but u can never get clean water from a dirty pipe..

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by legendte(m): 8:10am On Feb 04, 2017
Probe and probe yet no one has gone to jail. No policy and no sign of one coming soon. Country on auto pilot.

Buhari is a plaque

Make the corruption fight a general one and at the end of your term, we would have that to remember for the miserable four years.

Orji Uzo kalu is no longer corrupt since he started wielding broom.

The anti corruption czar that cleared the SGF with the speed of light was so adamant to heed the calls of Nigerians to use rule of law in fighting Metuh and the rest.

Wabara resigned his position under PDP, Bode George went to jail, IG P Balogun was jailed under PDP. Ibori and Alamesigha were jailed.

The old vindictive criminal is busy shouting corruption upandan.
Funny how zombies think that wailers like corruption. I support PDP but I would be happy to see TA Orji and Iwuanyanwu go to jail. Come up with policies to tackle corruption not arresting every dissent voice.

7 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by ba7man(m): 8:10am On Feb 04, 2017
mrvitalis:
Men that will loot trillions and hungry individuals like you will cheer them on and beg them to help us, right?

You gotta be kidding me, supporting thieves with the hope they'll use their thieving intelligence to aid the nation.

4 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by Nobody: 8:11am On Feb 04, 2017
H
Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by Chikelue2000(m): 8:14am On Feb 04, 2017
Sibrah:
Anyim doesn't appear smart enough for me . . . He needs to stop speculating and provide concrete-tight evidennces against the corrupt chairman of the committee.
Bro u r d problem with Nigeria. Was it only Anyim who complained?.

5 Likes

Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by Nizguy(m): 8:17am On Feb 04, 2017
If only we the youth will know that all these wicked and greedy politicians re there for their pocket and not for us. Fools
Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by Lasskeey: 8:20am On Feb 04, 2017
grin
Re: Centenary Project: Anyim Walks Out On Reps’ Probe Committee by ERockson: 8:22am On Feb 04, 2017
They should involve EFCC and other relevant agents in the probe. Anyim and others should go to jail on this monumental fraud. I won money, a friend won money and nothing given. This is one of the millions fraud under former president GEJ that made some rational nigerians voted against him but unfortunately, PMB has turned GEJ to an hero with a new dimension of fraud and highest level of incompetency

(1) (2) (Reply)

Updates: What’s The Fuel Scarcity Situation In Your Area? / Stop Fighting Your Brother, Northern Youths Caution Igbo Politicians / APC Chairmanship: My Story – Oyegun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.