Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years (11070 Views)

Some Ongoing Island Projects In Lagos. / Fayose Wears Military Outfit To Supervise Projects In Ekiti(photos) / Confusion Over Buhari’s $30bn Loan Request (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by obaloppelujo(m): 10:57am On Feb 07, 2017
And Ogun is next
yes ooooooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Winning123: 11:02am On Feb 07, 2017
Sibrah:
Yeye state . . .
Lagos economy depends on Nigerias economy to grow. If Nigeria is in recession and Lagos starts boasting empty like they can survive then they are delusional people. . .

You are very ignorant of the way things work. Lagos is the only state that can survive without federal allocation. The size of the allocation is based on oil price.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Horus(m): 11:35am On Feb 07, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqaqvpmtLzU

The Lagos Economy: Doing Business, Ambode's NGN813Bn Budget
Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by leobrownish(m): 11:57am On Feb 07, 2017
bsideboii:
Im sure he has never been to Odogbolu.

countless places that can't be mentioned
Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Sibrah: 12:09pm On Feb 07, 2017
Winning123:

You are very ignorant of the way things work. Lagos is the only state that can survive without federal allocation. The size of the allocation is based on oil price.
Are you saying federal allocation equals Nigeria's economy? Stop being ignorant.
If Nigeria stops importing rice, flour, petrol today Lagos losses half its import duty revenue. Lagos is dependent on Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Sibrah: 12:11pm On Feb 07, 2017
freeborn76:

Shame on you!
Ignorance . . .
Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Ajibel(m): 12:12pm On Feb 07, 2017
Sibrah:
Are you saying federal allocation equals Nigeria's economy? Stop being ignorant.
If Nigeria stops importing rice, flour, petrol today Lagos losses half its import duty revenue. Lagos is dependent on Nigeria.

Bro Lagos ports dont serve only Nigeria but the entire west Africa countries. Go read up if you don't believe me.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Sibrah: 12:14pm On Feb 07, 2017
Ajibel:

Bro Lagos ports dont serve only Nigeria but the entire west Africa countries. Go read up if you don't believe me.
You mean people use Lagos instead of Port novo and cotonou, Benin republic?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by akindavids(m): 12:19pm On Feb 07, 2017
Itesiwaju eko lo je walogun

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by emi09: 12:20pm On Feb 07, 2017
We hear the one of lagos. Not some random minister mentioning that nothing will happen in Nigeria until there is some 30billion+ crazy interests added to the problems on ground.
Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Ajibel(m): 1:07pm On Feb 07, 2017
Sibrah:
You mean people use Lagos instead of Port novo and cotonou, Benin republic?

Yup. It's not as if those other ports aren't used but the main choice of importers into west Africa is Lagos ports and that's what informed the LASG to make plans in building two new seaports at Lekki and Badagry in other to be the number one destination because the existing ports are already choked up.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Emassive(m): 2:02pm On Feb 07, 2017
Please the NASS should just approve that FG $30Bn loan then give it to Lagos state alone to spend. Ambode will finish Lagos state just as he is doing well
Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Nobody: 2:11pm On Feb 07, 2017
[quote
[/quote]author=Sibrah post=53496653]Are you saying federal allocation equals Nigeria's economy? Stop being ignorant.
I don't know what you are trying to prove but it certainly doesn't make sense to me. First, Lagos does not take import duties, I believe that is taken by fg. Secondly, I believe Lagos has the highest number of middle class income earners meaning if Lag were to be a country, the import duty it would receive from importations would still be high. The VAT from products in Lagos used by Lagosians is still about 56% of the entirecountry's VAT yet Lagos does not collect VAT, what about the CI Tax?-that goes to the FG also. I would say it this way, the fg is dependent on Lagos not the other way round. However, Since you believe Lagos isn't self sufficient, could you pls tell us what it means for a state to be self sufficient.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by AshiwajuFoward: 2:25pm On Feb 07, 2017
Sibrah:

Lagos does NOT collect any revenue from import duty, the FG collects that. Infact, all the revenue generated from the Lagos ports (sea and air) and even the ones customs generate from her land borders ALL go to the federal govt.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by juman(m): 2:26pm On Feb 07, 2017
APC and their usual empty noise making.
Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Sibrah: 2:33pm On Feb 07, 2017
Statsocial:
author=Sibrah post=53496653]Are you saying federal allocation equals Nigeria's economy? Stop being ignorant.
I don't know what you are trying to prove but it certainly doesn't make sense to me. First, Lagos does not take import duties, I believe that is taken by fg. Secondly, I believe Lagos has the highest number of middle class income earners meaning if Lag were to be a country, the import duty it would receive from importations would still be high. The VAT from products in Lagos used by Lagosians is still about 56% of the entirecountry's VAT yet Lagos does not collect VAT, what about the CI Tax?-that goes to the FG also. I would say it this way, the fg is dependent on Lagos not the other way round. However, Since you believe Lagos isn't self sufficient, could you pls tell us what it means for a state to be self sufficient.
My understanding of the whole arrangement is such that Lagos benefits from port activities. May not be import duty but then but I strongly believe they get some form of revenue from importation asides tax. That way, the more the imports by Nigerians outside Lagos, the more money Lagos gets. I know Lagos has some industries and lots of headquarters from where it gets tax. I may be wrong though.
Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Sibrah: 2:35pm On Feb 07, 2017
AshiwajuFoward:

Lagos does NOT collect any revenue from import duty, the FG collects that. Infact, all the revenue generated from the Lagos ports (sea and air) and even the ones customs generate from her land borders ALL go to the federal govt.
Really? So you mean Lagos gets nothing from imported goods? Please enlighten me. . .
Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by AshiwajuFoward: 2:42pm On Feb 07, 2017
Sibrah:
Really? So you mean Lagos gets nothing from imported goods? Please enlighten me. . .

Of course it DOESN'T! The Federal govt is in charge of all the duties and regulation of the ports. That's why the state's trying to build its own airport and 2 seaports. Even common VAT taxes that is generated in the state (the highest in the country) sef goes to Abuja. Why else do you think the state govt was recently trying to have the law changed via the national assembly so that it can get just 1% out of the VAT generated from the state.

http://thenationonlineng.net/lagos-special-grants-bill-sparks-hot-senate-debate/
“The bill allows the grants payable to be determined by the President and Commander-in-Chief on the recommendation of the Governor of Lagos State with the proviso that recommends the modest amount not less than 1 percent of the share of the revenue accruing to the federal government.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/fashola-wants-part-of-revenue-generated-from-lagos-ports/

Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, yesterday, demanded from the Federal Government part of the revenue generated from ports formations in the state, especially Apapa and Tin Can ports, saying, “the state bears the brunt of the ports activities.”

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Sibrah: 3:05pm On Feb 07, 2017
AshiwajuFoward:

Of course it DOESN'T! The Federal govt is in charge of all the duties and regulation of the ports. That's why the state's trying to build its own airport and 2 seaports. Even common VAT taxes that is generated in the state (the highest in the country) sef goes to Abuja. Why else do you think the state govt was recently trying to have the law changed via the national assembly so that it can get just 1% out of the VAT generated from the state.

http://thenationonlineng.net/lagos-special-grants-bill-sparks-hot-senate-debate/

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/fashola-wants-part-of-revenue-generated-from-lagos-ports/

So all that billions has been coming from taxes alone? The FG won't like the idea of a LASG owned port oh . . .
Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by AshiwajuFoward: 3:25pm On Feb 07, 2017
Sibrah:
So all that billions has been coming from taxes alone? The FG won't like the idea of a LASG owned port oh . . .

Below is a detailed infographic of how the state generates its revenues (courtesy of NBS). The FG has already consented to the state government's decision to build the seaports (via PPP) and was even supposed to have a bit of stake in them but pulled out due to lack of funds on its part. With its own state-controlled airport and seaports, you can imagine the kind of revenues the state would be generating.

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by Ajibel(m): 4:23pm On Feb 07, 2017
AshiwajuFoward:

With its own state-controlled airport and seaports, you can imagine the kind of revenues the state would be generating.

Seriously I was mulling on the idea of Lagos taking over the ownership of all the seaports, airports and federal infrastructure that generates revenue for the FG, the kind of money Lagos would start making. Ambode wants to the state to be the 3rd largest economy in Africa by 2020. And with Lagos contributing 30% of Nigeria's GDP and 60% of Nigeria's non oil revenue, take away what Nigeria earns from Lagos and give to Lagos and everyone would see that Nigeria depends on Lagos economy and with time Lagos economy could surpass Nigeria grin grin shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by mikolo80: 1:51am On Feb 08, 2017
PapaBrowne:
Ambode is the best. This guy should be given all the necessary support and in the next 10 years Lagos would be a world class city.
The guy has proven that Fashola was just a propaganda governor who did more on newspapers than on the streets.

The impact of Ambode is real. Journey from VI to Ajah has been cut from 3hrs to 20mins by the application of a simple smart solution that saw him knock off roundabouts and use a traffic channeling method that's just world class. On third mainland traffic, similar smart solutions and previously chocking traffic that lasted hrs was literally eliminated.

Shey you Know he will steal that money and you and your children will be left paying the debt
Re: Lagos Needs $30bn To Execute 30 Capital Projects In Five Years by tck2000(m): 1:10pm On Aug 31, 2019
kjhova:
I don't know what projects have been prioritised in the government's US$30B plan but I know the five key infrastructure I feel Lagos needs urgently to earn the mega city claim.

1) Robust mass transit rail system.

2) Statewide portable water system.

3) 10,000MW dedicated electric power grid.

4) Statewide pipe-to-home cooking gas system.

5) Local council estates (with statewide capacity of 1,000,000 flats).
Apt

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ali Modu-Sherrif Forceful Entry Into Party Secretariat Is Illegal - PDP / Oby Ezekwesili Wins Forbes' Social Influencer Award / Busy Fayemi Pushes For Medical Castration As Punishment For Rape

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.